Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Pope Benedict XVI
Stories 1 - 20 |
Retired Pope Asks
Feb 8, 2022 1:26 PM CST
Retired Pope Asks for Forgiveness
In connection with his handling of abuse cases, though Benedict admits no wrongdoing
- Retired Pope Benedict XVI asked forgiveness Tuesday for any "grievous faults" in his handling of clergy sex abuse cases, but admitted to no personal or specific wrongdoing. His comments came after an independent report criticized his actions in four cases while he was archbishop of Munich, Germany, per the...
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting
on Priest Accused of Abuse
Jan 24, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Pope: I Actually Was at Meeting on Priest Accused of Abuse
Benedict had originally said he hadn't attended, blames discrepancy on 'editing' mistake
Pope Benedict XVI has repeatedly denied wrongdoing in the Catholic Church's sex abuse scandal, but there's been a shift in at least one story. Per the Catholic News Agency and CNN , the pontiff had originally told investigators he hadn't attended a January 1980 meeting of archdiocesan...
Benedict Hopes to
Reach the Afterlife 'Soon'
Oct 20, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Benedict Hopes to Reach the Afterlife 'Soon'
So writes retired pope in a letter following the death of a close friend
- Retired Pope Benedict XVI has said he hopes to soon join a beloved professor friend in "the afterlife," in a sign that the 94-year-old pontiff is not only accepting his eventual death but welcoming it. Benedict penned an Oct. 2 letter to a German priest, thanking him for...
Butler Who Leaked
Pope's Papers Dies
Nov 27, 2020 7:26 AM CST
Butler Who Leaked Pope's Papers Dies
Paolo Gabriele says Holy Spirit guided him to expose corruption
- Paolo Gabriele said he loved Pope Benedict XVI "as a son loves a father"—and he leaked the pope's papers to the media "out of visceral love for the church of Christ and for its visible head on Earth." The Vatican says Gabriele, the pope'...
That's Not Quite
What the Pope
Nov 2, 2020 4:47 PM CST
That's Not Quite What the Pope Meant: Vatican
Two answers on same-sex civil unions confusingly became one, letter tells bishops
- Pope Francis' comments endorsing civil unions for same-sex couples really didn't, the Vatican says. A letter has been sent out saying that the film
took the pope's answers in a 2019 interview out of context, putting two answers to different questions together to leave the impression that...
New Title for John Paul II
May 15, 2020 3:23 PM CDT
Benedict Suggests New Title for John Paul II
Only two predecessors have been given the title 'the Great'
- Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is floating the idea that St. John Paul II have another title added to his name—"the Great." Only two other popes have received the honorific. John Paul's longtime secretary, Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, held a press conference in Krakow, Poland, on Friday to...
Gay Marriage to
May 4, 2020 3:36 PM CDT
Ex-Pope Links Gay Marriage to the Antichrist
Benedict accuses critics of wanting to silence him
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI—who spoke of staying "hidden from the world" when he became the first pontiff to resign in almost 600 years—is in the news once again. In an interview for a new biography out Monday in Germany, he accuses critics of seeking to "silence"...
Cardinal Caught in Celibacy
Storm Denounces 'Brutality'
Jan 25, 2020 1:15 PM CST
Cardinal Caught in Celibacy Storm Denounces 'Brutality'
- A Vatican cardinal at the center of a storm over a book about celibacy and the Catholic priesthood is denouncing the "brutality" of criticism directed at him and his collaborator, Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI, the AP reports. In an interview published Saturday, Cardinal Robert Sarah doubled down on his...
Hoping for a Pope Fight?
One Just Took a Step Back
Jan 14, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Hoping for a Pope Fight? One Just Took a Step Back
Benedict has name removed as co-author from controversial pro-priesthood celibacy book
- If you were hoping that there'd be a bona fide public bickering between Pope Francis and his predecessor, you may have to tamp down your expectations. The current pope has reportedly been mulling whether to allow married men to become priests in some cases, and news broke this week...
Benedict Breaks His Silence
as Pope Emeritus
Jan 13, 2020 5:43 AM CST
Benedict Breaks His Silence as Pope Emeritus
Makes it clear he doesn't like the idea of lifting celibacy rules, now under consideration
- A retired 92-year-old man has broken his silence to insist that his former colleagues should never have sex. Pope Benedict XVI, who adopted the title "pope emeritus" after retiring in 2013, argues that priestly celibacy is essential in a new book, "From the Depths of Our Hearts: Priesthood,...
to Pin Sex Abuse on
Apr 11, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
Benedict Emerges to Pin Sex Abuse on Sexual Revolution
He publishes a 6K-word letter 'to assist in this difficult hour'
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI has emerged from the shadows with a new letter that assigns blame for the clergy abuse crisis. In a 6,000-word letter whose authenticity was confirmed by Benedict's personal secretary, Benedict begins by writing that his remarks are intended "to assist in this difficult...
Pope: Having Gays in the
Priesthood 'Worries Me'
Dec 2, 2018 7:35 AM CST
Pope: Having Gays in the Priesthood 'Worries Me'
Says some societies consider homosexuality 'fashionable'
- Pope Francis has been quoted in an upcoming book as saying that having gays in the clergy "is something that worries me" and remarking that some societies consider homosexuality a "fashionable" lifestyle. Italian daily
Corriere della Sera's
website Saturday ran excerpts of the book, in which Francis...
Sep 20, 2018 7:40 AM CDT
Benedict to His Defenders: You're Going Too Far
Pope emeritus says 'pain has turned to anger' and is affecting the church and his own legacy
- Pope Benedict pledged to remain "hidden to the world" when he became pope emeritus and turned things over to Pope Francis, but some newly surfaced letters are changing that. In them, Benedict sends a message to those who prefer his more conservative leadership over Francis' relatively liberal style that...
'Lettergate' Takes Down
Vatican Media Chief
Mar 21, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
'Lettergate' Takes Down Vatican Media Chief
Dario Vigano will remain at Vatican following resignation
- The head of the Vatican's communications department resigned Wednesday in a scandal about a letter from retired Pope Benedict XVI that he mischaracterized, then had digitally manipulated in a photo sent to the media. Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Monsignor Dario Vigano on Wednesday and named his deputy,...
Vatican Relents, Releases
Benedict's Full Letter on Francis
Mar 18, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Vatican Relents, Releases Benedict's Full Letter on Francis
It previously blurred part of it, fueling claims of censorship
- Stung by accusations of spreading "fake news," the Vatican on Saturday released the complete letter by Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI about Pope Francis after coming under criticism for selectively citing it in a press release and digitally manipulating a photograph of it. The previously hidden part of the...
Vatican Doctors Photo of
Benedict Praising Francis
Mar 14, 2018 7:39 PM CDT
Vatican Doctors Photo of Benedict Praising Francis
It turns out retired pope hasn't actually read current pope's books
- The Vatican admitted Thursday that it altered a photo sent to the media of a letter from retired Pope Benedict XVI about Pope Francis. The manipulation changed the meaning of the image in a way that violated photojournalist industry standards, the AP reports. The Vatican's communications office released the...
On Francis' 5th Anniversary,
Ex-Pope Sticks Up for Pontiff
Mar 13, 2018 1:34 PM CDT
On Francis' 5th Anniversary, Ex-Pope Sticks Up for Pontiff
Benedict XVI says it's 'foolish prejudice' to say dogma under Francis is 'adrift'
- Pope Francis marked his fifth anniversary as pope Tuesday by receiving votes of confidence from his predecessor and from the current Vatican No. 2—as well as faithful around the globe—seeking to rebut criticism about his reform-minded papacy and encouraging him to push the envelope even further, per the...
8 'Least Powerful'
People in the World
Aug 31, 2016 8:24 AM CDT
8 'Least Powerful' People in the World
A certain former pope makes the list
- Lists of the "most powerful" people are easy to find, but 24/7 Wall St takes the opposite tack with this one. The website set out to find the "least powerful" people in the world, defined as those who once held mighty clout but then suffered a "precipitous...
Hardline Archbishop Set Up Kim Davis Meeting
Oct 3, 2015 9:56 AM CDT
Hardline Archbishop Set Up Kim Davis Meeting
Her lawyer is now feuding with the Vatican
- A Vatican official says there is now "a sense of regret" that Pope Francis ever met Kim Davis, reports Reuters —and that could be bad news for the archbishop who set up the meeting. Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, the Vatican's ambassador to the US, was appointed by...
Pope Hailed for
Mar 23, 2015 3:00 AM CDT
Pope Hailed for Blood 'Half-Miracle'
Archbishop says Francis turned saint's blood back to liquid
- Pope Francis was credited with what could be deemed a half-miracle in Naples, Italy, on Saturday, although it didn't involve bringing anybody halfway back to life or turning water halfway into wine. Instead, the normally-solidified blood of St. Gennaro, the city's patron saint, half-liquefied when the pope kissed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.