Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Time to Change the 'Natural
State of Things' on Our Roads
Apr 23, 2022 6:10 PM CDT
It's Time to Change the 'Natural State of Things' on Our Roads
Farhad Manjoo calls for inconveniencing drivers in order to save lives and the planet
- After a 13-year-old bicyclist was fatally hit by a truck in Mountain View, Calif., police called it an "extremely tragic incident." The driver had legally turned right on a red light, just as Andre Retana fell off his bike in the crosswalk; he was in the construction truck'...
Nanny Hit by
Baby With a Push
Dec 22, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Nanny Hit by Truck Saved Baby With a Push
Arcellie Muschamp of Brooklyn in critical condition after brain surgery
- A nanny shoved a stroller carrying a 1-year-old out of the path of a pickup truck in New York City on Monday before the vehicle slammed into her instead. "The stroller came to a stop on its side against a row of parked cars," feet from 52-year-old mother...
Jockey With 2K Wins Dies
in 'Pedestrian Accident'
Nov 2, 2021 6:06 PM CDT
Jockey With 2K Wins Dies in 'Pedestrian Accident'
Churchill Downs calls Miguel Mena's death 'shocking, terrible, and heartbreaking'
- Successful, well-liked jockey Miguel Mena was killed in what police are calling a "pedestrian" accident in Louisville six days before his 35th birthday—and his friends are trying to figure out why. Mena's agent, Tim Hanisch, tells the
that Mena was on his way home in...
Plea Deal Upsets
Aug 26, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Attorney General's Plea Deal Upsets Victim's Family
Jason Ravnsborg is fined $1K in the death of a man who was hit while walking along a highway
- South Dakota's attorney general was convicted of two misdemeanors Thursday in the death of a man struck by a vehicle while walking along a rural highway one night last fall. Jason Ravnsborg also was fined $1K on Thursday under the terms of his plea deal , the
Jun 9, 2021 4:22 PM CDT
Screams Rise From Rome's Streets as Crows Attack
Pedestrians carry umbrellas or sticks, or stay inside
- Strolling through the streets of Rome takes on an added element of danger every spring, when carrion crows guarding their chicks swoop down to attack passing humans, regarding them as a danger. Humans return the sentiment. The crows "are everywhere," one woman said after being attacked by a...
NYC Sees One Silver Lining
to Virus Lockdown
May 13, 2020 9:44 AM CDT
NYC Sees One Silver Lining to Virus Lockdown
City goes a record 58 days without a pedestrian death
- The coronavirus lockdown has rid New York City streets of their usual congestion, and with that comes an unprecedented stat: As of Tuesday, no pedestrian had been killed in 58 days, reports ABC7 . That's the longest stretch since the city began tracking the stat in 1983. But with that...
Driver Hits Woman and Son in
Crosswalk, Killing 3-Year-Old
Dec 9, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Driver Hits Woman and Son in Crosswalk, Killing 3-Year-Old
Police take unlicensed driver into custody
- An unlicensed driver struck a woman pushing her child in a stroller in an East Harlem crosswalk Monday, injuring the mother and killing the 3-year-old boy, the
New York Post
reports. They had just made their regular morning stop at a Dunkin' Donuts. The mother said goodbye, an employee said,...
He Saw the Speeding Car. He
Knew His SUV Could Stop It
in case you missed it
Nov 17, 2019 10:15 AM CST
He Saw the Speeding Car. He Knew His SUV Could Stop It
Erick Marciano hailed as a hero for saving pedestrians during police chase in Montreal
- A quick-thinking dad of three is being called a hero after throwing his Mercedes SUV in the path of a speeding car. The CBC and
report Erick Marciano, 48, was on his way to a meeting Tuesday shortly after noon when he saw a Honda speed through a...
Dozens of Drivers Pass Body
in Street After Hit-and-Run
Nov 6, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Dozens of Drivers Pass Body in Street After Hit-and-Run
Pedestrian was likely hit during street race: police
- A pedestrian struck by a car lay in a Los Angeles street while dozens of vehicles just drove around him, until someone finally stopped to help. Neri Ramires Chalo, 22, was pronounced dead at the scene, ABC News reports. Police suspect he was hit during a street race Friday night....
Police Believe Driver
Into 8 Pedestrians
Apr 24, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Police Believe Driver Intentionally Plowed Into 8 Pedestrians
Including a 13-year-old child in Sunnyvale, Calif.
- As pedestrians walked on a busy sidewalk in Sunnyvale, Calif., Tuesday night, a car plowed into the crowd—its driver making no apparent attempt to slow down or avoid hitting people, police say. Eight pedestrians were struck, including a 13-year-old, and some of the victims were in serious condition. The...
In 10 Years,
Deaths Jumped 35%
Feb 28, 2019 11:30 AM CST
In 10 Years, US Pedestrian Deaths Jumped 35%
Pedestrian deaths are at their highest number since 1990
- The number of pedestrians killed on US roads last year was the highest in 28 years, according to a report from a safety organization. Using data reported by states, the Governors Highway Safety Association estimates that 6,227 pedestrians were killed last year. That's up 4% from 2017 and...
'When a Human Life
Is Lost and You're There'
Feb 24, 2019 9:11 AM CST
Boeheim Discusses 'When a Human Life Is Lost and You're There'
Syracuse coach breaks silence after being involved in a fatal car accident
- Jim Boeheim returned to the Carrier Dome on Saturday night for the first game since he was involved in a car accident that killed a man , and addressed the tragedy head-on, reports ESPN : The beloved Syracuse coach came on to the court to a standing ovation, but had arranged a...
Street Littered With
Bodies After Bus Hijacking
Dec 25, 2018 2:35 PM CST
Street Littered With Bodies After Bus Hijacking
It's a terrifying scene.
- A hijacker with a knife drove a bus into pedestrians Tuesday in a southeastern Chinese city before being captured, police said. At least five people were reportedly killed. Another 21 people were injured in the afternoon attack in Longyan in Fujian province, south of Shanghai, according to a police statement....
For 6 Hours, Traffic Was
Silenced on Broadway
Apr 22, 2018 8:03 AM CDT
For 6 Hours, Traffic Was Silenced on Broadway
NYC bans vehicles from 2-mile stretch of iconic street ahead of Earth Day
- In a nod to Earth Day, New York City shut down two miles of perhaps its most iconic street, Broadway, for six hours on Saturday. In place of honking cabs and fumes were pedestrians, anything on two wheels, artistic performances, fitness classes, craft workshops, vendors, free rollerblade rentals, and educational...
Uber's Self-Driving Car Was
Going 40mph, Didn't Slow
Mar 20, 2018 5:21 AM CDT
Uber's Self-Driving Car Was Going 40mph, Didn't Slow
The latest on the crash that killed pedestrian Elaine Herzberg
- The death of a 49-year-old pedestrian in Tempe, Ariz., on Sunday night is being called the first time a person has been killed by a self-driving vehicle, and
provides some perspective: "Human drivers kill just 1.16 people for every 100 million miles driven. Waymo and Uber and...
SUV Rams Crowd of
Dec 21, 2017 5:49 AM CST
SUV Rams Crowd of Christmas Shoppers, Injures 19
Australian police say it was a deliberate act
- In what Australian authorities are calling a deliberate "act of evil," an SUV plowed into Christmas shoppers on one of Melbourne's busiest streets Thursday afternoon, injuring at least 19 people. Authorities say at least a dozen people were hospitalized after the attack outside Flinders Street station, including...
As of Today, You Can't Do This
Anymore on Honolulu Streets
Oct 25, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
As of Today, You Can't Do This Anymore on Honolulu Streets
No more looking at phones, electronic devices while crossing; fine will go up to $99
- Visiting Honolulu? Better get out of the habit of texting while walking, or at least while walking across a street. In a new law that took effect Wednesday, the Hawaiian city has banned looking at your phone (or any mobile electronic device) while crossing a street or highway. Anyone who...
Family of Man Killed by Cop
Balks at Sheriff's $314K Bill
Jul 19, 2017 12:42 PM CDT
Family of Man Killed by Cop Balks at Sheriff's $314K Bill
They want info on officer who killed him; lawyer says records fee is 'offensive'
- When pedestrian Blane Land was struck and killed by a police officer in Jacksonville, Fla., in May, his family immediately began digging into the officer's prior conduct. As it turned out, Officer Tim James had been investigated at least 11 times by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and would...
City Could Ban Looking at
Phone While Crossing Street
Jul 14, 2017 5:28 PM CDT
City Could Ban Looking at Phone While Crossing Street
Honolulu legislation passes city council
- People in one Hawaiian city may have to say "aloha" to texting while crossing the street.* CNN reports the Honolulu City Council voted 7-2 Wednesday to bar pedestrians from looking at their mobile devices while crossing the street. The legislation applies to cellphones, tablets, video games, digital cameras,...
School's Speed Bump
Trips Woman, Who Sues
Jun 8, 2017 6:44 AM CDT
School's Speed Bump Trips Woman, Who Sues
She says she injured her knees and wrists
- Speed bumps are generally meant to check the velocity of your vehicle, but one at a school district in Idaho is the subject of a lawsuit after a woman tripped over it and fell. Jan Duff claims the area was poorly lit and that the speed bump at the exit...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
House GOP Ousts Democrat Omar From Major Committee
Zoo Director Allegedly Cooked Zoo Animals for Party
Robert Kraft Has One Last Request of Tom Brady
Video Shown at Trial Seems to Contradict Alex Murdaugh's Alibi
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.