Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit Blames Panera's Charged
Lemonade for Another Death
Dec 6, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Suit Blames Panera's Charged Lemonade for Another Death
Lawsuit says Florida man drank 3 of the highly caffeinated beverages before his death
- A second lawsuit has been filed against Panera Bread over the restaurant chain's Charged Lemonade, which has now been blamed for two deaths. The new lawsuit says a 46-year-old Florida man died while walking home from a Panera after having had three servings of the highly caffeinated beverage, the...
After Student's Death, Panera's
Lemonade Gets Warning Label
Oct 30, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
After Student's Death, Panera's Lemonade Gets Warning Label
But lawyer for family of student says labels don't go far enough
- In the wake of a lawsuit filed against it over the death of a 21-year-old woman after drinking its "Charged Lemonade," Panera has added warning labels to the drink. The
has a picture of the label at one of the chain's locations, warning that the beverage...
After Drinking Panera's
in case you missed it
Oct 28, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
21-Year-Old Dies After Drinking Panera's 'Charged Lemonade'
The chain was hit with a lawsuit after the tragedy, which is not officially linked to the beverage
- A 21-year-old University of Pennsylvania student drank a "Charged Lemonade" from Panera and was dead within hours. Her family is now suing the fast-casual restaurant chain, claiming the highly caffeinated energy drink contributed to her death in September 2022, CNN reports. Sarah Katz was diagnosed with long QT syndrome,...
Prime Drink Pulled
From Stores in Canada
Jul 13, 2023 3:39 AM CDT
Prime Drink Pulled From Stores in Canada
Regulator says it has too much caffeine
- A caffeinated energy drink being promoted by American social media influencers is set to be recalled in Canada. Health Canada said Wednesday that at 200 milligram of caffeine per 12-ounce can, Prime Energy exceeds the regulator's acceptable caffeine limit of 180 milligram per serving and should not be sold....
We're in a Perpetual 'Altered
State,' Thanks to Caffeine
in case you missed it
Jul 10, 2021 7:03 PM CDT
We're in a Perpetual 'Altered State,' Thanks to Caffeine
Author Michael Pollan explores our history and relationship with this 'invisible addiction'
- When author Michael Pollan decided to tackle the subject of psychoactive drugs—specifically, opium, mescaline, and caffeine—for his new book,
This Is Your Mind On Plants
, he consumed the first two in the name of experimental journalism. But he actually
using caffeine, just to see what would happen,...
Caffeine Limits for Pregnant
Women Need 'Radical Revision'
Aug 25, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Caffeine Limits for Pregnant Women Need 'Radical Revision'
Health authorities disagree; 200mg daily limit remains
- Pregnant women who've limited their caffeine consumption to one or two cups of coffee per day, in accordance with official US guidance, aren't going far enough, according to a new peer-reviewed study that finds there's no safe level of caffeine for moms-to-be. Researchers say health recommendations in...
Ends 6-Decade Ban
Sep 21, 2017 7:17 PM CDT
Mormon-Owned BYU Ends 6-Decade Ban
Caffeinated soft drinks are now being sold on Brigham Young University campus
- Mormon church-owned Brigham Young University ended a six-decade ban Thursday on the sale of caffeinated soft drinks on campus, surprising students by posting a picture of a can of Coca-Cola on Twitter and just two words: "It's happening." The move sparked social media celebrations from current and...
Deadly Combination of Legal
Beverages Kills Teen
May 15, 2017 4:34 PM CDT
Deadly Combination of Legal Beverages Kills Teen
Three caffeinated drinks within two hours caused cardiac event
- A shocking incident out of South Carolina has experts discussing how much is too much when it comes to a perfectly legal substance: caffeine. After consuming three highly caffeinated beverages in a two-hour period, 16-year-old student Davis Allen Cripe collapsed and died in April, reports WYFF 4 . Richland County Coroner...
A 'Colorless' Cup of Joe,
Plus White Teeth
Apr 17, 2017 8:56 AM CDT
A 'Colorless' Cup of Joe, Plus White Teeth
New beverage called 'Clear Coffee' promises to prevent staining
- Two Slovakian brothers are promising to protect coffee lovers from stained teeth with a concoction they're calling the world's "first colorless coffee drink." It looks like a bottle of water, but CLR CFF is a "potent, cold brew," per the
. Self-described heavy...
Coffee Too Weak?
You Can Now Try
Mar 30, 2017 9:21 AM CDT
Coffee Too Weak? You Can Now Try 'World's Strongest'
Black Insomnia says it trounces nearest competitor
- Tired of wimpy cappuccinos and limp lattes? Now you can jump-start your day with the "world's strongest coffee." At least that's the claim of the not-so-subtly-named Black Insomnia, which contends it has scientific proof its brew packs multiple times the punch of a normal cup of...
Jan 26, 2017 4:27 PM CST
Students Given Potentially Lethal Doses of Caffeine
School fined for experiment that gave subjects 100 times the intended amount
- A misplaced decimal point put two students at Northumbria University in the ICU. On Wednesday, a judge fined the UK school about $500,000 for its mishandling of a science experiment in which the students received caffeine dosages 100 times stronger than intended, reports the
. The two sports science...
Dad Sues Energy Drink Maker
Over Death of Son, 19
in case you missed it
Jan 21, 2017 10:34 AM CST
Dad Sues Energy Drink Maker Over Death of Son, 19
Dustin Hood quaffed more than 3 cans of 'Mega Monster Energy' in 24 hours: suit
- The father of a 19-year-old who died in 2015 after drinking Monster Energy drink is now suing its manufacturer, TMZ reports. Dustin Hood suffered a cardiac arrhythmia on the basketball court and died at the hospital shortly after. He's believed to have imbibed three large, 24-ounce cans of the...
DUI Charge Dropped Against
Caffeinated California Driver
Dec 30, 2016 10:13 AM CST
DUI Charge Dropped Against Caffeinated California Driver
DA's office still insists it's 'highly likely' Joseph Schwab was on another drug, despite tests indicating otherwise
- He was busted for driving while intoxicated , and now, 16 months later, Joseph Schwab has had his DUI charge dropped. The California man had been pulled over in Solano County in August 2015 after it was reported he was driving erratically, and he was arrested for DUI, although later tests...
Man Charged With DUI
Has Only Caffeine in System
Dec 24, 2016 12:55 PM CST
Man Charged With DUI Has Only Caffeine in System
Joseph Schwab's lawyer says it's 'absurd'
- “I’ve never seen this before,” California attorney Stacey Barrett tells the
. “I’ve never even heard of it.” Barrett's client, 36-year-old Joseph Schwab, is facing a misdemeanor DUI charge—apparently over caffeine. Schwab was pulled over in August 2015 in Solano County while...
This Might Be the Most Potent
Cup of Coffee You Can Buy
Sep 10, 2016 1:49 PM CDT
This Might Be the Most Potent Cup of Coffee You Can Buy
'Asskicker' delivers 80 times the punch of a typical espresso
- One cafe owner in Adelaide, Australia, is playing around with the world's most popular drug, and experts aren't feeling terribly perky about it. Steve Benington, owner of Viscous Coffee, has created the Asskicker, a drink consisting of four shots of espresso, four 48-hour brewer cold drip ice cubes...
How Much Coffee You Drink
May Be Down to Your Genes
Aug 26, 2016 2:50 PM CDT
How Much Coffee You Drink May Be Down to Your Genes
One gentetic variation may control how effective it is, say researchers
- Can't stop at just one cup of joe to wake up? You might be missing a certain variation of the PDSS2 gene, which instructs our bodies to break down caffeine more slowly. Researchers in Scotland report in the journal
that they interviewed and examined the DNA of...
Weird Study Says
After a Concert
Jul 9, 2016 1:39 PM CDT
Weird Study Says You Shouldn't Drink Coffee After a Concert
It could slow your ears' healing: scientists
- Scientists who were apparently in desperate need of a research topic have a tip for concert-goers: Don't drink coffee for a while afterward. Based on their new study , it could hurt your hearing. How does one go about studying such a thing? Well, scientists at the McGill University Auditory...
Couple's Caffeine Intake Linked to Miscarriage
Mar 25, 2016 8:41 AM CDT
Couple's Caffeine Intake Linked to Miscarriage
Multivitamins in the weeks before, after conception also play a role
- For all the couples out there trying to do everything just right in the weeks leading up to conception, scientists are now suggesting that not just women but men, too, cap their caffeine consumption at two drinks per day. In other words, healthy sperm are very much a part of...
Make Your Heart
Skip a Beat
Jan 27, 2016 9:41 AM CST
Caffeine Won't Make Your Heart Skip a Beat
Doctors should rethink their recommendations on coffee, says study
- Add one more study to the "coffee is good for you" file. Contrary to the long-standing belief that caffeine may cause heart palpitations that can lead to heart failure, new research in the
Journal of the American Heart Association
suggests the claim is, well, rubbish. Researchers surveyed 1,388...
Man Drank Himself to
Dec 23, 2015 7:36 AM CST
Man Drank Himself to Death—With Caffeine
It's the first known case to be reported in Japan
- When an unidentified man in his 20s in Kyushu, Japan, died suddenly and inexplicably in the fall of 2014, police ordered an inquest into the cause of his death. Now Dr. Shinichi Kubo, a professor of forensics at Fukuoka University, is announcing that it appears to be the country's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.