Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Commuters in This
City Have It the Worst
Sep 3, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Commuters in This City Have It the Worst
New York City claims the most commuting stress, Virginia Beach the least, per new report
- When you're exhausted and cranky before you even get to work ... well, welcome to the world of commuting. One US city in particular, which already had a reputation for a grind of a commute, now has the dubious honor of officially being deemed the city with the most stressful...
Newlyweds Found Dead, and
Groom's Brother Is Missing
Apr 8, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Newlyweds Found Dead, and Groom's Brother Is Missing
Collin Rodgers was reportedly staying with his brother and sister-in-law in Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach police are on the lookout for an "endangered" man who may have been living with his newlywed brother and sister-in-law, who were found dead in their apartment on Monday. Talon Rodgers and Alisa Wash, both 23, had been shot to death, according to a Tuesday release , which...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
Virginia Beach Votes to Up
Taxes to Fend Off Rising Seas
Nov 3, 2021 4:16 PM CDT
Virginia Beach Votes to Up Taxes to Fend Off Rising Seas
Residents OK $568M bond to pay for infrastructure projects
- Voters in Virginia Beach have approved one of the larger bonds in the US to pay for infrastructure projects to guard against rising seas and intensifying hurricanes, suggesting that more Americans are finally willing to spend tax dollars to adapt to climate change. Tuesday's "yes" vote earned nearly...
First-Time Homebuyers May
Want to Check Here First
Jul 6, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
First-Time Homebuyers May Want to Check Here First
Chesapeake, Va., holds promise, as do several other Virginia cities
- With the pandemic showing signs of waning, plans that were put on hold are starting to gain new life. If you've been mulling buying your first home, some US cities may hold more promise than others. WalletHub looked at 300 cities of varying sizes across America, examining nearly two...
This Is the Most Smoothly
Operating City in America
Jun 22, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
This Is the Most Smoothly Operating City in America
Nampa, Idaho, takes the top spot, while the District of Columbia comes in last
- Keeping a city humming along smoothly is no easy task, especially during a global pandemic. With budgets to manage, services and programs to greenlight or nix, and constituents' needs to meet, local leaders have challenges at hand even during the best of times. WalletHub looked at 150 of the nation'...
Black Man Killed by
Va. Beach Cops Was a
UVa. Football Player
Mar 29, 2021 3:00 AM CDT
Black Man Killed by Va. Beach Cops Was a UVa. Football Player
Former teammates, coach shocked at Donovan Lynch's death
- A man shot and killed by a police officer at a Virginia oceanfront resort area was a college football player whose death has stunned his former teammates and head coach, the AP reports. Donovan Lynch, 25, of Virginia Beach, was an offensive lineman for the University of Virginia’s College...
In Seaside City's Fatal Night,
'Many Different Crime Scenes'
Mar 27, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
In Seaside City's Fatal Night, 'Many Different Crime Scenes'
2 dead, at least 8 hurt after 2 separate shootings in Va. Beach; cop also injured after being hit by car
- It was a turbulent Friday night in Virginia Beach, with two separate shootings that left two dead and eight injured, as well as a police officer getting hit by a car. It was "a very chaotic night in the beach," Virginia Beach Police Chief Paul Neudigate said at...
Here Are the
Feb 22, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Here Are the Hardest-Working US Cities
Alaska's Anchorage comes out on top, Detroit dead last
- Work has been hard to come by during the pandemic, but Americans' work ethic in general remains strong. WalletHub wanted to find out which US cities have the hardest workers, and so the site looked at 116 of the country's biggest cities across nearly a dozen metrics in two...
Here Are the
10 Best Cities for
Jobs in America
Jan 5, 2021 11:24 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America
South Burlington, Vt., looks better than most
- The job market hasn't been great over the past year, mainly due to the COVID pandemic. As people start the new year off trying to make a fresh start, however, some locations across the country may offer better chances at employment than others. WalletHub took a look at more...
A Big Cold-Case Break,
Followed by Disappointment
Aug 28, 2020 11:08 AM CDT
A Big Cold-Case Break, Followed by Disappointment
Suspected murderer of 2 young women in 1973 may not face trial because of dementia
- It was one of those cold-case breaks that have become common these days: Thanks to a DNA match, police arrested a suspect last year in the murder of two young women in Virginia Beach in 1973. The families of Janice Pietropola and Lynn Seethaler, two 19-year-olds from suburban Pittsburgh who...
Here Are the 10 Hardest-
Working Cities in America
Feb 24, 2020 11:59 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Hardest- Working Cities in America
The Lone Star State isn't messing around
- There's no lazing around in Texas, apparently. WalletHub looked at 116 large cities across America to see which epitomized the term "work ethic," analyzing nearly a dozen key metrics in two categories: direct work factors, which includes how many hours folks put in during an average workweek,...
This Is the US City Where
People Care the Most
Dec 16, 2019 10:15 AM CST
This Is the US City Where People Care the Most
Apparently there are plenty of group hugs going on in Virginia Beach, Va.
- 'Tis the season for compassion and kindness—and in that spirit, WalletHub has rounded up the cities it says are the most caring in America. The site looked at more than three dozen metrics in the 100 most populated US cities, across three main categories: caring for the community...
This Is the Best
Big City in the US
Jul 16, 2019 8:08 PM CDT
This Is the Best Big City in the US
Virginia Beach is No. 1 in WalletHub ranking
- All big cities have problems. Some are just able to "tackle their problems and emphasize their strengths more efficiently than others," according to WalletHub , which rounds up the best US cities to call home with populations over 300,000. Three of the top 10 cities—based on affordability,...
The Best- and Worst-Run
Cities in America
Jul 1, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
The Best- and Worst-Run Cities in America
Nampa, Idaho, is No. 1, and Washington, DC, is last in WalletHub ranking
- The best-run city in the US isn't exactly a household name. Nampa, Idaho, gets the honor in a new ranking from WalletHub . The site ranked 150 of the nation's largest cities (including Washington, DC) on a range of factors, including financial stability, education, health, safety, infrastructure, and pollution....
'Blind Spot' Slowed Down Cops
in Virginia Beach Shooting
Jun 6, 2019 6:03 AM CDT
'Blind Spot' Slowed Down Cops in Virginia Beach Shooting
Cops didn't have keycards needed to open electronically locked doors
- Police responding to the deadly mass shooting at a Virginia Beach municipal building were unable to confront the gunman at one point because they didn't have the keycards needed to open doors on the second floor. Over the radio, they pleaded for the electronic cards and talked of bringing...
He Quit His Job, Brushed
His Teeth, Killed His Colleagues
Jun 3, 2019 4:41 AM CDT
He Quit His Job, Brushed His Teeth, Killed His Colleagues
Mass shooter's motive is still a mystery
- DeWayne Craddock resigned from his job with Virginia Beach's municipal government Friday morning—but not in a way that made anybody suspect he was going to massacre his colleagues hours later. There was "nothing out of the ordinary" in the short email, in which the 40-year-old civil engineer...
Va. Beach Survivor:
to Do This?
Jun 1, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Va. Beach Survivor: What Would Possess Someone to Do This?
Victims, gunman identified after 12 died Friday
- As Virginia Beach tries to make sense of the country's latest mass shooting, which took 12 lives at a municipal building there Friday and injured at least four , more details are trickling out. Officials at a Saturday morning press conference IDed the gunman, who died after being shot by...
Gunman Kills 12
in Virginia Beach
May 31, 2019 6:55 PM CDT
Gunman Kills 12 in Virginia Beach
Police say shooter, described as disgruntled city worker, is also dead
- A longtime, disgruntled city employee opened fire at a municipal building in Virginia Beach on Friday, killing 12 people before police fatally shot him, authorities said. At least five other people were wounded in the afternoon shooting, including a police officer whose bulletproof vest saved his life, said Virginia Beach...
Man, 80, Arrested for
1973 Double Murder
Apr 10, 2019 6:43 AM CDT
Man, 80, Arrested for 1973 Double Murder
Police say he killed 2 young women in Virginia
- A suspect is in custody almost 46 years after a double murder that horrified Virginia Beach. Lynn Seethaler and Janice Pietropola, two 19-year-old women from Pittsburgh, were found murdered in their room at a seaside motel in June 1973. Pietropola had been raped, strangled, and shot in the head three...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.