Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big-Name Authors Sue
OpenAI for 'Systematic Theft'
Sep 21, 2023 6:27 AM CDT
Big-Name Authors Sue OpenAI for 'Systematic Theft'
John Grisham, George RR Martin join lawsuit alleging pirated works helped train ChatGPT
- A new group of authors is suing OpenAI, alleging "flagrant and harmful infringements" on their copyrights through the company's use of pirated books to train the AI chatbot ChatGPT. "At the heart of these algorithms is systematic theft on a mass scale," reads the complaint, filed...
Letter: 'I Am More
Valuable to Them
Alive Than Dead'
Sep 5, 2023 6:29 AM CDT
Hemingway Letter: 'I Am More Valuable to Them Alive Than Dead'
Author's note to his lawyer after 2 plane crashes talks about injuries, beef with Abercrombie & Fitch
- A letter that author Ernest Hemingway wrote to his attorney soon after he'd endured back-to-back plane crashes just sold for big bucks on the auction block. NPR reports the that four-page note, scrawled on stationery from a hotel in Venice, Italy, went for $237,055 via Nate D. Sanders...
8K Authors to
Stop the Theft
Jul 19, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
8K Authors to AI Producers: Stop the Theft
Margaret Atwood, James Patterson, others demand compensation for work used to train AI
- More than 8,500 authors are asking tech companies to avoid using their copyrighted work to train AI systems, unless those companies are willing to pay up. "Millions of copyrighted books, articles, essays, and poetry provide the 'food' for AI systems, endless meals for which there has been...
Before He Wrote
, He Fled Homeland
Jul 12, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Before He Wrote
, He Fled Homeland
Czech dissident and author Milan Kundera, who became a thorn in Communists' side, dies at 94
- Milan Kundera, the Czech author who was cast out of the Communist Party and became best known for penning
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
, has died. The 94-year-old passed away Tuesday in Paris "after a long illness," a spokeswoman for the Czech library that kept Kundera's personal...
From Garcia Marquez, a 'Final
Effort to Continue Creating'
May 8, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
From Garcia Marquez, a 'Final Effort to Continue Creating'
New novel from late author, based on unfinished manuscript, is coming our way in 2024
- Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel Jose de la Concordia Garcia Marquez, better known as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, died in 2014. A 150-page, unfinished novel he left behind will be published next year, a decade after his death following a bout with pneumonia at 87, reports NPR . Per the
, the novel...
Here's What Just Made
Judy Blume Curse on Twitter
Apr 17, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
Here's What Just Made Judy Blume Curse on Twitter
After remarks on JK Rowling, author says it's 'total bull----' she doesn't stand with the trans community
- Judy Blume may be 85 years old, but she's not shy about throwing down on Twitter if she needs to. The Independent reports that the popular children's author—who has penned such classics as
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
—is responding to...
Crichton's Books Written as
'John Lange' See New Life
Feb 22, 2023 11:40 AM CST
Crichton's Books Written as 'John Lange' See New Life
Blackstone acquires rights to 8 early novels in 7-figure deal, will publish new editions
- The early writings of Michael Crichton look destined for the big screen following a seven-figure deal announced Tuesday. The late
author's estate sold the worldwide print, e-book, and audiobook rights to Crichton's first eight novels—unconnected pieces of fiction across various genres, written under the pseudonym...
She Was Set to
Read to Kids,
Jan 19, 2023 8:11 AM CST
She Was Set to Read to Kids, Got Derailed by Pottymouth
Texas school district cancels appearance by author Emma Straub over f-bomb-filled tweet
- On Emma Straub's website , a write-up about her newly released children's book,
Very Good Hats
, notes that the "joyous and inventive read-aloud will inspire kids to see ordinary objects in a whole new way." Straub, the daughter of horror writer Peter Straub and author of such...
In His Books'
Jan 9, 2023 6:10 AM CST
In His Books' Pages, the Working Class Came Alive
'Cloudsplitter,' 'Affliction' author Russell Banks is dead at 82
- Russell Banks, an award-winning fiction writer who rooted such novels as
The Sweet Hereafter
in the wintry, rural communities of his native Northeast and imagined the dreams and downfalls of everyone from modern blue-collar workers to the radical abolitionist John Brown in
, has died. He was 82....
Emily St. John Mandel Ran
Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Dec 26, 2022 7:43 AM CST
Emily St. John Mandel Ran Into Odd Snag After Divorce
Wikipedia still said she was married, and she couldn't change it herself
- On the Wikipedia page for Emily St. John Mandel—the bestselling Canadian author of
Sea of Tranquility
The Glass Hotel
, the last of which was adapted into an HBO Max miniseries—it's noted under the "personal life" section that she separated from executive recruiter Kevin...
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Sep 27, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Tom Hanks, Novelist
Actor's first one comes out next year
- Tom Hanks' next big venture has no hope of winning him an Oscar—unless it's adapted into a film. The 66-year-old actor is writing his first novel, one that's due out in May 2023, reports
. The book is called
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece,
Loss to Literature'
Sep 23, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Death of Hilary Mantel 'an Enormous Loss to Literature'
British writer who wrote historical fiction about Thomas Cromwell suffered a stroke
- Hilary Mantel, the Booker Prize-winning author of the acclaimed
saga, has died. She was 70. Mantel died "suddenly yet peacefully," surrounded by close family and friends, publisher HarperCollins said Friday, per the AP . Her longtime literary agent, Bill Hamilton, confirmed to the
New York Times
'The News Is
Aug 13, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Agent on Rushdie: 'The News Is Not Good'
Author will likely lose an eye, suffered severed nerves in arm, damaged liver, says Andrew Wylie
- One day after he was stabbed while onstage at New York state's Chautauqua Institution to give a lecture, Salman Rushdie is hooked up to a ventilator and not able to talk, his agent says, per the BBC . "The news is not good," Andrew Wylie told the
Amazon's e-Book Returns
Leave Authors in the Red
Jun 27, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Amazon's e-Book Returns Leave Authors in the Red
Authors say 'life hack' feels more like theft
- Readers increasingly are using Amazon as a library for e-books, a practice that authors want to put a stop to. It's made possible by Amazon's return policy, which gives buyers seven days to cancel an accidental purchase, NPR reports. So people are reading the book in less than...
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer
Winner Cormac McCarthy
Mar 9, 2022 1:16 PM CST
2 Books Due Out From Pulitzer Winner Cormac McCarthy
'The Passenger' and 'Stella Maris' will be first fiction from McCarthy since 2006's 'The Road'
- Cormac McCarthy has two novels coming out this fall, his first fiction releases since the Pulitzer Prize-winning
in 2006. Publisher Alfred A. Knopf announced Tuesday that
, a long-rumored novel about "morality and science" and "the legacy of sin" that McCarthy reportedly began decades ago,...
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made
Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 6:30 AM CST
8-Year-Old Sneaks Self-Made Comic Book Onto Library Shelf
Now there's a waiting list for Dillon Helbig's graphic novel in Boise, Idaho
- Who needs a literary agent? Not this 8-year-old author from Boise, Idaho, who just self-published and promoted his comic book in a most unique way. Turns out Dillon Helbig snuck a copy of his DIY comic,
The Adventures of Dillon Helbig's Crismis
—by "Dillon His Self"—onto...
Just Got Weird
Jul 9, 2021 10:31 AM CDT
Remember 'Cat Person'? The Backstory Just Got Weird
Alexis Nowicki says Kristen Roupenian based short story on her
- More than three years ago, at the peak of the #MeToo movement, a short story in the
went viral, earning Kristen Roupenian a book contract and movie deal . This week, however, a swerve: In an essay for Slate , Alexis Nowicki says the main female character in Roupenian's...
Restored Novel by Late Author
a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
May 13, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Restored Novel by Late Author a 'Profound Critique of Racism'
Richard Wright's 'The Man Who Lived Underground' is already a bestseller
- More than 60 years after his death, Richard Wright is again a bestselling author, and very much in line with the present.
The Man Who Lived Underground
, a short novel written in the 1940s and never published in full until this spring, is the surreal but credible story of Fred...
Author Michael Lewis Finds
Heroes, Villains in Pandemic
May 4, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Author Michael Lewis Finds Heroes, Villains in Pandemic
His book 'The Premonition,' amounts to an indictment of the CDC's response
- Those familiar with the books of Michael Lewis (
Moneyball, The Big Short, The Blind Side
, etc.) know that he loves finding a hero "who gives a defiant middle finger to the conventional wisdom," writes Jennifer Szalai in the
New York Times
. His latest book,
She Began as a Librarian. Then
She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Mar 27, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
She Began as a Librarian. Then She Gave the World 'Ramona'
Children's author Beverly Cleary dies at 104
- Beverly Cleary, the celebrated children's author whose memories of her Oregon childhood were shared with millions through the likes of Ramona and Beezus Quimby and Henry Huggins, has died. She was 104. Cleary's publisher HarperCollins announced Friday that the author died Thursday in Carmel Valley, Calif., where she'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.