Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Isaac Newton's Secret
Occult Papers Sell for $502K
Dec 10, 2020 12:44 PM CST
Isaac Newton's Secret Occult Papers Sell for $502K
They were scorched when his dog knocked over a candle
- Scorched notes from Sir Isaac Newton's secret research into ancient Egyptian mysteries appeared Wednesday not in a
Da Vinci Code
sequel, but at a Sotheby's auction, where they sold for $502,000. The British scientist and mathematician is considered the father of modern physics but the notes show...
Get Back Rare,
Stolen in 2017
Nov 10, 2020 2:06 PM CST
Relieved Owners Get Back Rare, Irreplaceable Books Stolen in 2017
Nearly all volumes intact after daring warehouse theft
- In the sort of break-in usually executed by a Tom Cruise character while background music adds to the tension, rare books worth millions were stolen from a London warehouse nearly four years ago. On Tuesday, police announced that the books have been returned to the proper owners, leading one of...
Government Seized Shkreli's
Nazi Code Machine
Jan 14, 2018 1:10 PM CST
Government Seized Shkreli's Nazi Code Machine
They also auctioned off letters from Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin
- Martin Shkreli owes New York hundreds of thousands of dollars, and to get it back the state's tax office has been seizing and selling some of the most prized possessions of the so-called "pharma bro." On Friday, state tax officials told CNBC they had already auctioned off...
Dec 28, 2014 11:44 AM CST
Neil deGrasse Tyson Ignites a Christmas Brouhaha
With a tweet about Isaac Newton
- Neil deGrasse Tyson's Christmas musings might not have made it to the cosmos, but the Twitterverse is buzzing with them: As CNN reports, Tyson on Thursday tweeted out birthday greetings to a babe who went on to rock planet Earth. Except not
babe."On this day long...
Tried to Invent
May 11, 2013 10:27 AM CDT
Isaac Newton Tried to Invent New Language
Is it 'utor' enough for you?
- Isaac Newton had a thing or two to say about gravity and the laws of motion, but if a lesser known creation of his took off, we'd all be speaking a different language right now. As Arika Okrent explains at the Week , Newton drew up plans for a "...
Gravity Doesn't Exist:
Jul 14, 2010 6:35 AM CDT
Gravity Doesn't Exist: Physics Prof
String theorist shakes up 300 years of science
- Anyone who's ever seen a ball drop knows it's obvious that gravity exists—right? Not so fast, says a prominent string theorist who has called into question 300 years of science with a new paper arguing that gravity is merely an illusion. Dutch physicist Erik Verlinde says gravity is not...
Fun Facts About Apple
one involves a real apple
Jul 11, 2010 3:15 PM CDT
Fun Facts About Apple
Computer giant's original logo featured Isaac Newton
- Secretive , vengeful , and irresistible, Apple occupies a unique niche in technology and business. Some obscure facts about the company, courtesy of Mashable :
The Macintosh was named for a variety of real apple:
"Steve Jobs is said to have tried to change the project’s name to 'Bicycle' while
Hawking To Retire
From Cambridge Post
Oct 25, 2008 2:15 PM CDT
Hawking To Retire From Cambridge Post
- Stephen Hawking will retire from his chair at Cambridge University at the end of this academic year, the
reports. But the esteemed physicist will continue working at the college in an emeritus position. Cambridge requires profs to step down when they reach 67, and Hawking’s birthday is in...
Popular on Newser
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.