Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
FDA: This Is a Really Bad
Way to Cook Chicken
Sep 20, 2022 11:11 PM CDT
FDA: This Is a Really Bad Way to Cook Chicken
Agency issues warning on NyQuil challenge
- The Food and Drug Administration wants Americans to know that cooking chicken in cough syrup is as bad an idea as it sounds. In an FDA warning about social media challenges, the agency referred to a TikTok video that showed somebody cooking chicken in NyQuil cough and cold medication, which...
FDA Just Made a Huge
Move on Hearing Aids
Aug 16, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
FDA Just Made a Huge Move on Hearing Aids
People will be able to get them over the counter, and probably for much cheaper
- As soon as the middle of October, people will be able to walk into a store for the first time and buy over-the-counter hearing aids. It's the result of a rule finalized by the FDA on Tuesday, one expected to have profound effects on the market for such devices—...
Wait for the Next Booster,
Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Jul 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Wait for the Next Booster, Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Moderna, Pfizer assure government updated omicron version will be ready for fall
- Federal health officials have decided against approving a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine this summer for adults under 50, because a retooled version is so close to being ready. Pfizer and Moderna have assured the government their new boosters will be rolled out no later than September, the...
For Birth Control Access in the
US, a 'Groundbreaking Moment'
Jul 11, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
For Birth Control Access in the US, a 'Groundbreaking Moment'
HRA Pharma submits application to FDA for nation's first over-the-counter birth control pill
- Ever since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last month, effectively banning abortion in states that choose to, reproductive rights advocates have worried that contraception might be the next target of conservative activists and lawmakers. One company is now trying to dismantle at least some of the barriers to...
Have to Pull
Its E-Cigs Yet
Jul 6, 2022 12:29 AM CDT
Juul Actually Doesn't Have to Pull Its E-Cigs Yet
FDA temporarily suspends its order banning the products
- The Food and Drug Administration issued an administrative stay Tuesday on the order it issued last month for vaping company Juul to pull its electronic cigarettes from the market. The agency said on Twitter that the stay temporarily suspends the marketing denial order while it conducts further review, but does...
Amid Criticism on
News of a 3rd
Jun 23, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Amid Criticism on FDA Response, News of a 3rd Infant Death
FDA says investigation is in early stages on baby said to have consumed Abbott baby formula
- The FDA has learned about the third death of an infant who reportedly consumed Abbott Laboratories' baby formula, linked to bacterial contamination. The agency said it received a consumer complaint related to the January death on June 10, per the
Wall Street Journal
. It had already disclosed that four infants...
FDA Advisers Endorse
Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
FDA Advisers Endorse Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Age group is the only one without access to COVID vaccines in US
- COVID-19 shots for US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers moved a step closer to reality on Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisers gave a thumbs-up to vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer for the littlest kids. The outside experts voted unanimously that the benefits of the shots outweigh any...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
FDA Chief Takes Heat Over
Infant Formula Shortage
May 25, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
FDA Chief Takes Heat Over Infant Formula Shortage
Whistleblower's warning apparently languished in a mailroom
- House members of both parties pressed the head of the Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday about how the infant formula crisis could have gotten this bad. "Why did it take an onslaught of national media attention for the Biden administration to act with a sense of urgency required...
Get a Booster
May 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
CDC: Children 5-11 Should Get a Booster
Rise in coronavirus cases prompts advisers' decision
This file has been updated throughout with the CDC's decision.
Children ages 5 to 11 should get a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control announced Thursday. An advisory panel had made the recommendation earlier in the day. The move opens a third...
The Dental Dam Finally
Has Some Competition
May 18, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
The Dental Dam Finally Has Some Competition
The FDA has OKed underwear to protect against STIs during oral sex
- "Oral sex is not totally risk-free," Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, an infectious diseases expert with the University of Alabama at Birmingham tells the
New York Times
, but a newly FDA-authorized pair of underwear—vanilla scented, no less—has the potential to make it safer. STIs such as herpes, gonorrhea,...
to Go Back Online
May 16, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Formula Plant to Go Back Online
FDA clears way to increase imports, as well
- Federal officials on Monday reached an agreement to allow baby formula maker Abbott to restart its largest domestic factory, though it will be two months or more before any new products ship from the site to alleviate the national shortage facing parents. Under the agreement, Abbott must work with outside...
FDA Limits Authorized Use
of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine
May 5, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
FDA Limits Authorized Use of Johnson & Johnson Vaccine
If they can, adults should get Moderna or Pfizer coronavirus shots, agency says
- Referring to new data on blood clots, the Food and Drug Administration announced limits Thursday on who should and should not be administered Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine. Only adults unable to receive other vaccines instead, either because the products are inaccessible or they're not clinically appropriate, are...
FDA Makes Big Move
to Curb Smoking
Apr 28, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
FDA Makes Big Move to Curb Smoking
Agency announces plan to ban menthol cigarettes
The FDA on Thursday made one of its biggest moves in more than a decade to curb smoking by unveiling a plan to ban menthol cigarettes, reports the
New York Times
. Now comes a 60-day period for public comments, followed by any needed revisions. It could be at least...
The Mouse Infestation at
FDA HQ Is Sort of Normal
Apr 12, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
The Mouse Infestation at FDA HQ Is Sort of Normal
It turns out mice, other critters are common around White Oak, but pandemic didn't help
- It could happen in any office building from which staff made hasty, "temporary" departures at the start of the pandemic. One week rolled into the next, and the workers did not return, but all those snacks around their offices remained. Local rodents took notice, apparently, at the FDA's...
FDA Authorizes Second
Booster for Ages 50 and Older
Mar 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
FDA Authorizes Second Booster for Ages 50 and Older
CDC will weigh in next on the extra COVID shots
The FDA on Tuesday authorized a second booster shot for people ages 50 and older, reports the
. The Pfizer or Moderna shots won't be made available until the CDC weighs in, and the agency is expected to quickly back the extra booster for those whose first...
FDA Updates Baby Formula
Warning After Second Death
Mar 1, 2022 4:26 PM CST
FDA Updates Baby Formula Warning After Second Death
Abbott's Similac, Similac Alimentum, EleCare from Mich. plant tied to deadly bacteria
: The Food and Drug Administration has updated its warning on infant formulas made at a Michigan plant after the death of another child. The FDA warned against using Similac PM 60/40 with lot code 27032K800 on the case and 27032K80 on the can, NPR reports. Manufacturer Abbott said in...
at Family Dollar Site
Lead to Closures, Recall
Feb 22, 2022 7:26 AM CST
'Unacceptable' Visitors at Family Dollar Site Lead to Closures, Recall
Rat infestation at Ark. distribution center forces 400-plus stores to close in South, product recall
- Bad news if you're a regular at Family Dollar and you're in the South: Chances are, a location near you may be shuttered temporarily after a rat infestation at an Arkansas distribution warehouse. The
reports that 404 stores in six states—Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri,...
Senate Narrowly Confirms
Biden's FDA Pick
Feb 15, 2022 7:00 PM CST
Senate Narrowly Confirms Biden's FDA Pick
6 Republicans backed Califf in 50-46 vote
- The Senate narrowly confirmed President Biden’s pick to lead the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday, pushing past a thicket of political controversies that threatened to derail what was initially expected to be an easy confirmation. The 50-46 vote means Dr. Robert Califf, a cardiologist and prominent medical researcher,...
FDA Gives Full Approval
to Moderna Vaccine
Jan 31, 2022 1:52 PM CST
FDA Gives Full Approval to Moderna Vaccine
Serious side effects have proved to be very rare
- Moderna announced Monday that US health regulators have granted full approval to its COVID-19 vaccine, a shot that's been given to tens of millions of Americans since its emergency authorization over a year ago. The action by the Food and Drug Administration means the agency has completed the same...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.