Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Display Painful Divide
Jun 25, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Abortion Rallies Display Painful Divide
Clinics cancel appointments as patients try to rebook in other states
- Thousands of people protesting the Supreme Court's decision overturning Roe v. Wade returned to the streets of dozens of cities on Saturday. Smaller crowds turned out in many places to celebrate the ruling, CNN reports, and the two sides sometimes got in each other's faces to argue the...
After Cops Harass Woman,
a Topless Protest in Montreal
Jun 20, 2022 8:18 AM CDT
After Cops Harass Woman, a Topless Protest in Montreal
Protesters want to change 'way people view women's breasts' in 'protest about gender equality'
- As Americans celebrated Memorial Day weekend, Eloyse Paquet Poisson was enjoying a sunny day in a Quebec City park, smoking a cigarette and doing macrame, which sounds like it should have been largely uneventful. Instead, she had an unpleasant encounter with local police and her tale about it went viral,...
Protest Demands Help
With Soaring Prices
Jun 18, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Protest Demands Help With Soaring Prices
With bills rising more than pay, London marchers want government to help
- Thousands of people marched through central London on Saturday in a protest over the soaring cost of living in Britain. Huge crowds flooded into the British capital for the rally to demand that the government do more to help people faced with bills and other expenses that are rising more...
Hong Kong Students Stealthily
Jun 3, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Hong Kong Students Stealthily Commemorate Tiananmen
'Goddess of Democracy' statues pop up as police vow to stop annual vigil
- What's being described as a subtle "rebellion" has taken place at the Chinese University of Hong Kong ahead of the 33rd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. For decades, Hong Kong had marked the anniversary of the June 4, 1989, pro-democracy protest in Beijing—where soldiers opened fire...
Takes a Stand
May 28, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
SF Giants Manager Takes a Stand After Uvalde
Gabe Kapler: I won't come out for national anthem till 'I feel ... better about the direction of our country'
- In the wake of the Uvalde mass shooting , the sports world is weighing in. Now joining Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr , the Miami Heat , and the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays in speaking out is San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler, who says he's not going...
June 11 Is the
Day to March:
'Do Our Lives Mean
Nothing to You?'
May 26, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
June 11 Is the Day to March: 'Do Our Lives Mean Nothing to You?'
In wake of Uvalde, March for Our Lives plans mass protest for gun safety, 4 years after Parkland
- More than four years after its last huge demonstration in support of gun safety, March for Our Lives is rallying the masses again. "June 11, mark your calendar," the advocacy group tweeted Wednesday, announcing its plans for a nationwide protest in the wake of this week's mass...
Prime Minister Resigns
With Sri Lanka in Crisis
May 9, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Prime Minister Resigns With Sri Lanka in Crisis
Nationwide curfew takes effect in response to violent protests
: With Sri Lanka's economic crisis worsening and protests becoming violent, Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa resigned Monday. He told President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, his younger brother, in his resignation letter that he was stepping down in hopes of ending the crisis, the BBC reports. Confrontations between pro- and anti-government demonstrators...
Protesters Greet Russian
Ambassador With Lots of Paint
May 9, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Protesters Greet Russian Ambassador With Lots of Paint
Sergey Andreev was trying to pay respects to Red Army soldiers at Warsaw cemetery
- Russia's ambassador to Poland was splattered with red paint thrown at him by protesters opposed to the war in Ukraine, preventing him from paying respects on Monday at a Warsaw cemetery to Red Army soldiers who died during World War II. Ambassador Sergey Andreev arrived at the Soviet soldiers'...
Gets a Messy
Apr 27, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
'People's Convoy' Gets a Messy Calif. Welcome
Trucks were pelted with eggs when they showed up in Oakland
- Over the past few weeks, the "People's Convoy" of protesters pushing back against COVID mandates has been making its way back from Washington, DC to California. And on Friday it found itself in Oakland, though the welcoming committee there likely wasn't what drivers expected. Per the
Protest Opposes Destroying
Village to Expand Coal Mine
Apr 23, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Protest Opposes Destroying Village to Expand Coal Mine
Last farmer has lost case in German courts against eviction
- Thousands of people on Saturday protested plans to bulldoze a village in western Germany to expand a coal mine that environmental activists say should be shut down, not enlarged. The German news agency dpa quoted police as saying that the demonstration in Luetzerath, 25 miles west of Cologne, was peaceful....
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers
Block Bridges in Protest
Apr 13, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
At US-Mexico Border, Truckers Block Bridges in Protest
This time it's Mexican truckers, upset over Texas governor's inspections order that's slowing traffic
- There's a new trucker protest underway, this time along the US southern border. Reuters reports that big-rig drivers from Mexico have been blocking bridges leading in and out of Texas for days, a protest against Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's recent mandate that officials carry out vehicle safety inspections...
Martin Gugino Did
Apr 11, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Arbitrator: Cops Who Shoved Martin Gugino Did Nothing Wrong
Buffalo BLM protester suffered head injury after being pushed to ground by police in June 2020
- Two police officers in Buffalo, NY, have been cleared by an arbitrator of wrongdoing after they shoved an elderly BLM protester to the ground in June 2020. Martin Gugino, then 75, suffered a fractured skull and brain injury after hitting his head when he fell. In a Friday decision, Jeffrey...
DC for California
Mar 31, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Convoy Leaves DC for California
Organizer says group will protest COVID regulations, then return to capital
: The convoy that's been circling the District of Columbia in protest for three weeks left Thursday for California, where truckers will oppose pending state legislation. About 100 vehicles left the group's base at Hagerstown Speedway in Maryland, the
reports. "We’re not done here,...
Russian State TV Producer
on Air: 'They Are Lying to You'
Mar 15, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Russian State TV Producer on Air: 'They Are Lying to You'
Marina Ovsyannikova urged Russians to 'take to the streets' to protest war before her arrest
- An employee of Russia's state TV Channel One interrupted a live broadcast of its flagship evening news program Monday to denounce government "propaganda" and shout anti-war slogans. The protester entered the frame as anchor Ekaterina Andreeva reported on Russian efforts to combat sanctions. OVD-Info, a human rights group...
Europeans, Pope Denounce War
Mar 13, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Europeans, Pope Denounce War
Francis calls Russia's killing of civilians, including children, 'barbarianism'
- Tens of thousands of people rallied Sunday in cities across Europe to protest Russia's war in Ukraine, with small vigils taking place in Russia as well despite a crackdown by authorities against such demonstrations. German trade unions called a protest in Berlin, the AP reports. The march led from...
in Russian Protests
Mar 6, 2022 3:20 PM CST
Thousands Arrested in Russian Protests
'The screws are being fully tightened,' monitoring group says
- Police arrested more than 4,300 people at antiwar protests on Sunday in 56 Russian cities. The independent monitor OVD-Info said the full total for the day wasn't in yet, the
Wall Street Journa
l reports. The Interior Ministry said 3,400 of the 5,200 people who attended...
Kids Left Flowers at
Ukraine's Embassy, Are
Taken Away in a Police Van
Mar 2, 2022 3:08 PM CST
Kids Left Flowers at Ukraine's Embassy, Are Taken Away in a Police Van
Moscow children also had a 'No to War' sign
- Children are not being exempted from Moscow's harsh crackdown on protests against Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Five children and their mothers were detained Tuesday after they tried to leave flowers outside Ukraine's Moscow embassy while carrying signs reading "No to War," NPR reports. Distressing images...
Feb 27, 2022 12:55 PM CST
Russian Protesters Defy Crackdown
Demonstrations around the world show support for Ukraine
- From Moscow to Siberia, Russian anti-war activists took to the streets again Sunday to protest their nation's invasion of Ukraine, despite the arrests of hundreds of protesters each day by police. Demonstrators held pickets and marched in city centers, chanting "No to war!" after President Vladimir Putin...
Russians Chant 'No to War!'
Feb 24, 2022 7:30 PM CST
Russians Chant 'No to War!'
Thousands in Moscow, elsewhere protest invasion of Ukraine on first day
- Thousands of Russians who woke up to the news that their nation had attacked Ukraine took to the streets to protest on Thursday. They found a heavy police presence, with officers breaking up even small gatherings by using loudspeakers to order demonstrators to disperse, the
New York Times
Filed in Shooting
Feb 23, 2022 7:10 PM CST
Murder Charge Filed in Shooting of Protesters
Family, neighbors say Benjamin Jeffrey Smith had complained about demonstrations
- The man police say opened fire on a crowd of people demonstrating for racial justice and against police violence in a park has been charged with murder and attempted murder. Four people were injured in the attack Saturday night in Portland, Ore., and Brandy "June" Knightly, 60, was killed,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.