Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Tools' of US
Nov 26, 2022 4:25 PM CST
Iranian Leader Calls Protesters 'Tools' of US
Eye doctors raise alarm about injuries from rubber bullets
- Iran's supreme leader praised paramilitary volunteers tasked with quashing dissent on Saturday in a televised address, as dozens of eye doctors warned that a rising number of demonstrators have been blinded by security forces during anti-government protests. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei addressed members of the Basij, the volunteer paramilitary wing...
Iranian Move a 'Challenge'
to World's Nonproliferation
Nov 23, 2022 7:52 AM CST
Iranian Move a 'Challenge' to World's Nonproliferation
Per IRNA, nation is enriching uranium to 60% purity, a step away from weapons-grade levels
- Iran has begun producing enriched uranium at 60% purity at the country's underground Fordo nuclear plant, official media reported Tuesday, describing it as a response to a resolution by the United Nations' nuclear watchdog. The increased enrichment, reported by the official news agency IRNA, was seen as a significant...
'This May Be My Last Post,' Iran
Film Star Says Before Arrest
Nov 21, 2022 1:53 PM CST
'This May Be My Last Post,' Iran Film Star Says Before Arrest
Tehran is targeting prominent protest supporters
- Two prominent Iranian actors have been arrested for supporting anti-government protests and removing their headscarves during demonstrations. According to state-run media, Hengameh Ghaziani, 52, and Katayoun Riahi, 60, are accused of "collusion with the intention of acting against the state security," the BBC reports. Both women have won...
Intelligence Shows Iran
Is Helping Russia Build Drones
Nov 19, 2022 2:15 PM CST
Intelligence Shows Iran Is Helping Russia Build Drones
Deal will help increase weapons stockpile for use against Ukraine
- Iran has agreed to help Russia build hundreds of weaponized drones for use against Ukraine, new intelligence shows. Production in Russia could begin in months, officials told the
. Iran contends it's officially neutral in the Russia-Ukraine fight, though drones it made have attacked Ukrainian military and civilian...
Report: Saudis Warn of
'Imminent' Attack by Iran
Nov 1, 2022 9:17 PM CDT
Report: Saudis Warn of 'Imminent' Attack by Iran
US is 'concerned about the threat picture'
- Relations between Saudi Arabia and the US have cooled since the OPEC+ alliance decided to cut oil production last month—but the US is still concerned about potential Iranian attacks on the kingdom. The
Wall Street Journal
, citing US and Saudi officials, reports that the Saudis have shared intelligence with...
They Marched to
Protest Mahsa's Death.
Now, Public Trials
Nov 1, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
They Marched to Protest Mahsa's Death. Now, Public Trials
Thousands who demonstrated against death of teen will appear before Iran's hard-line judiciary
- Thousands of Iranians who protested the September death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini , who died in police custody after being arrested for not wearing a hijab, are about to see themselves put on public trial. The
reports that 1,000 individuals in the capital of Tehran who've been indicted...
Trouble Befalls Man Walking
From Spain to World Cup
Oct 26, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
Trouble Befalls Man Walking From Spain to World Cup
Santiago Sanchez may have been arrested in Iran
- A Spanish man trekking from Madrid to Doha for the 2022 FIFA World Cup is believed to be under arrest in Iran, where he went missing more than three weeks ago, his family said Wednesday. "We learned this morning from the (Spanish) foreign ministry that there's a 99%...
Iran's New Target:
Oct 20, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Iran's New Target: Britney Spears
State media brings up conservatorship after she expresses support for protesters
- As Iranian security forces attempt to crush the country's biggest protests in years, the state-controlled Islamic Republic News Agency is targeting the regime's celebrity critics overseas—especially Britney Spears. While numerous celebrities have expressed their support for protesters, Spears has apparently been singled out because of her complicated...
'Elnaz the Champion' Arrives in
Tehran, Her Story Unchanged
Oct 19, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
'Elnaz the Champion' Arrives in Tehran, Her Story Unchanged
Iranian climber still insists her lack of hijab during competition in S. Korea was 'unintentional'
Elnaz Rekabi is officially back in Iran, after a recent climbing competition in South Korea in which she didn't wear her hijab. The AP reports that the 33-year-old athlete gave a "careful, emotionless" interview to state media at the Tehran airport after landing early Wednesday, once more...
Weapons From Iran
Oct 16, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Russia Receiving Weapons From Iran
Missiles, attack drones are intended for attacks in Ukraine, officials say
- Iran has agreed to supply Russia with attack drones and missiles for use against Ukraine, US security officials said. The surface-to-surface missiles are intended to be employed against cities as well as Ukrainian troops, the
reports. The US military publicly stated that Iranian-made drones already have been used...
Iran Says Prison Fire
Killed 4, Injured 61
Oct 16, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Iran Says Prison Fire Killed 4, Injured 61
Sources inside Evin prison dispute the count
: Iranian state media reported Sunday that four inmates died of smoke inhalation and 61 people were injured in a fire at the Evin prison, NBC News reports. Prison sources told BBC Persian , however, that the toll is higher. The state news agency quoted judiciary officials as saying that inmates...
of Teen Girl Deaths
Oct 11, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Alleged Cover-Up of Teen Girl Deaths Galvanizes Iranians
Nika Shakarami's mother says authorities are lying about her murder by security forces
- Iranian security forces appear to be "targeting, arresting, and, in some cases, killing minors" participating in anti-government protests, which is only fueling the already raging fire triggered by the Sept. 16 death of 22-year-old Mahsa Zhina Amini, who'd been detained for violating the country's strict hijab law,...
Iran: Attack on
Police Station Killed 19
Oct 1, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Iran: Attack on Police Station Killed 19
Any connection to protests over woman's death in custody isn't clear
- An attack by armed separatists on a police station in a southeastern city killed 19 people, including four members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard, Iran's state-run IRNA news agency reported Saturday. The assailants in Friday's attack hid among worshippers near a mosque in the city of Zahedan...
Refuses to Wear
Sep 22, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Amanpour Refuses to Wear Headscarf, Loses Major Interview
Journalist says she 'politely' shot down request from Iranian president because she's on US soil
- Christiane Amanpour was all set to interview the Iranian president in New York on Wednesday when an aide to Ebrahim Raisi asked her to wear a headscarf. "I politely declined," the acclaimed journalist writes in a Twitter thread . "We are in New York, where there is no...
Iran Erupts After
Young Woman Dies in
Custody of 'Morality Police'
Sep 21, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Iran Erupts After Young Woman Dies in Custody of 'Morality Police'
Mahsa Amini's death has sparked protests across country
- Protests have been rocking Iran since the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini last week after she was detained by the country's "morality police" for not wearing a hijab. According to a human rights organization monitoring the situation, five people have been fatally shot by Iranian security forces during...
Cops: She Was
Detained for Hijab
Sep 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Detained for Hijab 'Education.' Now She's Dead
Outrage in Iran after witnesses say Mahsa Amini died after being beaten by 'morality police'
- The existence of Iran's "morality police"—authorities who patrol the streets to ensure Islamic code on how women dress is being followed—has been increasingly under fire there, and a young woman's death this week has just exacerbated the backlash. Witnesses say 22-year-old Mahsa Amini died...
Russia Now Has
a New Arms Dealer
Sep 6, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Russia Now Has a New Arms Dealer
Purchase of artillery shells, rockets a sign of desperation, says US official
- With global sanctions preventing Russia from seeking military equipment from its usual sources, the country has now turned to North Korea. Russia, which recently purchased Iranian drones, is now buying millions of artillery shells and short-range rockets from Pyongyang, according to US intelligence. It's a sign of what one...
in Nuclear Deal Talks
Aug 16, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Iran Issues 'Written Response' in Nuclear Deal Talks
State-run media outlet suggests Tehran won't accept the proposal
- Iran said Tuesday it submitted a “written response” to what has been described as a final roadmap to restore its tattered nuclear deal with world powers, the AP reports. Iran's state-run IRNA news agency offered no details on the substance of its response, but suggested that Tehran still...
Iran Has Something
to Say About
Aug 15, 2022 6:34 AM CDT
Iran Has Something to Say About Rushdie Attack
It denies any culpability, says stabbing was the fault of Rushdie himself and his supporters
- As Salman Rushdie appears to be slowly recuperating after last week's stabbing in New York, Iran has its own update, and it's a denial of any culpability. "Regarding the attack on Salman Rushdie, we do not consider anyone other than [Rushdie] and his supporters [worthy] of blame...
in Plot to
Aug 10, 2022 2:23 PM CDT
Iranian Charged in Plot to Kill Bolton
Killing was to be revenge for the death of a Revolutionary Guard commander, officials say
- The US has charged a member of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard with plotting to assassinate former national security adviser John Bolton. Shahram Poursafi, 45, offered late last year to pay $300,000 for the killing, the Daily Beast reports. The Justice Department said in a statement Wednesday that the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.