Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
On the Day the Rats Arrived,
He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
in case you missed it
Dec 3, 2023 7:00 AM CST
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
An Australian town is suffering from a plague of long-haired rats
- "It is still livable," says a local official, but after reading about the situation in the Australian town of Karumba, you might disagree. It, along with other towns in Western Queensland, is suffering from an invasion of long-haired rats. NPR reports that healthy rainfall led to a boom...
Nov 6, 2023 10:10 AM CST
Rats Have Imaginations, Just Like We Do
Study has wide-ranging implications, and not just for rodents
- Humans aren't the only creatures in the animal kingdom with imaginations, a new study suggests. It seems that rats are in the club, too, reports
. In a series of remarkable experiments, researchers at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in Virginia concluded that rats are capable of visualizing...
Is Waging War
With This Guy
Jul 1, 2023 4:33 PM CDT
New Zealand Is Waging War With This Guy
Island nation aims to eradicate rats by 2050 to save its native birds, and the BBC assesses its progress
- Seven years ago, New Zealand passed a law declaring that it aimed to eradicate rats by the year 2050, with the idea of saving its native birds. With 27 years to go until the deadline, the BBC checks in on how things are going, and it sounds a little exhausting,...
UK Quietly Does 180
on Animal Testing of Makeup
May 9, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
UK Quietly Does 180 on Animal Testing of Makeup
Government apparently reversed its stance in 2019, after decades-long ban
- The UK government had banned the testing of makeup ingredients on animals for more than two decades when it quietly reversed its stance in 2019. It began issuing licenses for animal testing of cosmetic ingredients in line with European Union rules, which don't allow animal testing to determine whether...
NYC Mayor: 'The Rats
Are Going to Hate Kathy'
Apr 13, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
NYC Mayor: 'The Rats Are Going to Hate Kathy'
Kathleen Corradi promises 'no more dirty curbs'
- New York City officially has a rat czar. Kathleen Corradi was named Wednesday as the city's first-ever director of rodent mitigation—a well-paying gig. Corradi, who previously served as the Queens director of space planning in the city's education department, will earn $155,000 per year, Mayor Eric...
Rat-Hating NYC Mayor
Fined Over Rats at His Property
Dec 8, 2022 1:15 AM CST
Rat-Hating NYC Mayor Fined Over Rats at His Property
Eric Adams appeared before his own employee to contest $330 fine
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams is a well-known hater of rats. In October, amid rising complaints about rats, the city announced plans to push back the time residents are allowed to put out their garbage bins on trash night in an effort to deter the rodents; just days ago,...
Catch, Kill 600 Rats
Nov 28, 2022 5:16 PM CST
Fearless Schoolkids Catch, Kill 600 Rats
They want to help rid their New Zealand island of the bird-killing predators
- A grinning girl holding the tail of a sizable dangling rat: It's photo evidence of an unusual competition at a New Zealand school, where students hunted down and took out rats in a 100-day effort to help safeguard the local bird population. The local Environment Trust gave traps made...
the 'Rattiest' City
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Congrats, NYC: You're Not the 'Rattiest' City in America
Chicago takes that honor in rankings by Orkin pest control company; the Big Apple comes in 2nd
- Think "rats in the city," and many people are likely to envision the rodents who creep around in the Big Apple's alleyways and subway system. It's not New York City, though, but Chicago atop Orkin's list of the "rattiest" cities in America.
New York City to Take
Drastic Measure Over Rats
Oct 21, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
New York City to Take Drastic Measure Over Rats
Time when trash can be left on curb will be pushed back 4 hours to 8pm
- "I want to be clear: The rats are absolutely going to hate this announcement," Jessica Tisch, New York City's sanitation commissioner, said this week. "But the rats don't run the city. We do." The city, facing a massive increase in complaints about rats, plans...
Family Dollar's Rat Problem
Just Got Bigger
May 2, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Family Dollar's Rat Problem Just Got Bigger
Arkansas is suing the chain over yearslong infestation at distribution warehouse
- Earlier this year it emerged that Family Dollar had a problem with rats . Now the discount chain has a related problem with a bigger foe—the attorney general of Arkansas. The state's Leslie Rutledge filed suit against Family Dollar last week over the previously revealed rat infestation at a...
at Family Dollar Site
Lead to Closures, Recall
Feb 22, 2022 7:26 AM CST
'Unacceptable' Visitors at Family Dollar Site Lead to Closures, Recall
Rat infestation at Ark. distribution center forces 400-plus stores to close in South, product recall
- Bad news if you're a regular at Family Dollar and you're in the South: Chances are, a location near you may be shuttered temporarily after a rat infestation at an Arkansas distribution warehouse. The
reports that 404 stores in six states—Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri,...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
Rat Poison Is a Menace,
and Shockingly Easy to Buy
Dec 19, 2021 4:36 PM CST
Rat Poison Is a Menace, and Shockingly Easy to Buy
EPA rules don't cover ecommerce
- Rats give us plenty of grief. They can cause outbreaks of diseases ranging from scrub typhus to leptospirosis and their urine and feces are thought to render a fifth of the world's food supply unusable. As Chris Sweeney writes in a lengthy piece for
, second-generation anticoagulants are...
1K Cats Descend on Chicago
to Take Down Its Rats
May 12, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
1K Cats Descend on Chicago to Take Down Its Rats
Hundreds of feral felines released by animal shelter to deal with city's rodent problem
- Chicago has a rodent problem—one so bad the city has been deemed the "rattiest city" in the nation for the last six years. One local animal shelter has been hard at work combating the issue, using a rather low-tech method: It releases hundreds of feral cats onto the...
They Killed the Rats
of 'Rat Island,' With
Apr 11, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
They Killed the Rats of 'Rat Island,' With Unexpected Results
Study finds the full ecosystem has fully recovered
- The name "Rat Island" has persisted for decades, but it 2012 it was officially done away with , and for good reason. The rats are gone.
dives into how that came to be and what the longer-term results have been via a March study published in
Report: Chipotle Workers
Stomped on Dozens of Rats
Dec 9, 2020 5:05 PM CST
Report: Chipotle Workers Stomped on Dozens of Rats
Employees at the Upper West Side location say the issue started over the summer
- You know it's 2020 when ... the rats have commandeered a Chipotle. That's apparently the situation on New York's Upper West side, where employees tell the
New York Post
rats forced a shut-down of a Chipotle location after a months-long saga. As they tell it, the rats first...
He Was Waiting for a Bus in
NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Oct 30, 2020 7:04 AM CDT
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Leonard Shoulders is 'traumatized' after falling into sinkhole full of rats in the Bronx
- Yes, 2020 has been a disaster so far, but at least for most of us, "sinkhole full of rats" wasn't also part of the narrative. Leonard Shoulders, however, can't say the same. The
notes that although New York City is "used to tall tales of...
Sep 26, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
2-Foot-Long Rat Wins Gold Medal for 'Bravery'
Magawa has a rather scary job in Cambodia
- Not a big rat fan? Meet Magawa. The furry two-footer received a gold medal Friday for his work detecting land mines in Cambodia, NBC News reports. "Magawa's dedication, skill and bravery are an extraordinary example of this and deserve the highest possible recognition," said Jan McLoughlin, head...
Amid Pandemic, Rats
Getting Increasingly Desperate
May 24, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Amid Pandemic, Rats Getting Increasingly Desperate
As restaurant Dumpsters suffer, so, too, do rodents
- Nearly 100,000 Americans are dead , almost 40 million are unemployed , and now the
informs us that even the lowly rat is suffering amid the pandemic as shuttered restaurants means "trash bins are no longer overflowing with scrumptious leftovers hordes of rodents subsisted on." That's...
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day
Revenge for the Lovelorn
Feb 11, 2020 7:51 AM CST
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day Revenge for the Lovelorn
For $25, you can name a mouse after your ex, watch it get fed to a snake
- The San Antonio Zoo is getting in on the trend of Valentine's Day revenge , offering to name a rat after your ex and feed it to a snake. The feast goes down Feb. 14, with a $25 charge per submission. Or you can go the $5 route and name...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.