Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Responding to One Controversy,
Chris Rock Creates Another
Aug 30, 2022 6:23 AM CDT
Responding to One Controversy, Chris Rock Creates Another
Comedian references Will Smith slap with joke about Nicole Brown Simpson, which didn't go well
- Chris Rock won't be back to host the Oscars next year, at least according to his own telling, and yes, it appears to be linked to "the slap." The 57-year-old comedian performed Sunday night at Phoenix's Arizona Financial Theatre, which is where he informed the crowd...
The Academy Finally Rights
a 50-Year-Old Racist Wrong
Aug 16, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
The Academy Finally Rights a 50-Year-Old Racist Wrong
Sacheen Littlefeather declined Marlon Brando's Oscar, at his request, got booed
- In 1973, Sacheen Littlefeather walked onstage at the Academy Awards to decline the best actor Oscar on Marlon Brando's behalf. The actor had given the Native American activist and actress eight pages of typed notes to read, but the show's producer told her just before she went on...
Chris Rock on the Slap:
Not Talking 'Until I Get Paid'
Apr 10, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
Chris Rock on the Slap: Not Talking 'Until I Get Paid'
'I got my hearing back,' he adds to audience in California
- Chris Rock still isn't ready to talk in detail about The Slap in public, but he appears to have made his first joke about it on stage. "I'm OK, I have a whole show and I'm not talking about that until I get paid," Rock...
You Won't See Will Smith
at the Oscars for 10 Years
Apr 8, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
You Won't See Will Smith at the Oscars for 10 Years
But academy's board does not strip him of his award
- This year's Oscar for best actor will remain in the hands of Will Smith. The board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced its punishment Friday for his infamous slap of Chris Rock , and it does not involve stripping him of his statuette. Instead,...
Chris Rock's Brother:
Here's What Should
Happen to Will Smith
Apr 5, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Chris Rock's Brother: Here's What Should Happen to Will Smith
Kenny Rock wants Smith's Oscar taken away, among other things
- As far as Chris Rock's brother is concerned, the Academy Award Will Smith won shortly after slapping Rock onstage at the Oscars should be revoked, and Smith should be banned from attending future ceremonies. "I might have looked at it differently had he initially apologized when he got...
Will Smith Projects Slow Down
Apr 4, 2022 3:59 PM CDT
Will Smith Projects Slow Down
Interest in making a biopic of the actor has faded since the Oscars
- The long-term fallout from Will Smith's slap of Chris Rock at the Academy Awards isn't known yet, but immediate effects are surfacing. Producers have slowed, if not stopped, a couple of his next jobs, per the
. One film,
Fast and Loose
, lost its director before the...
Will Smith Resigns
Apr 1, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Will Smith Resigns From Academy
Board says disciplinary process will continue
- Facing an investigation and a disciplinary hearing over his assault of comedian Chris Rock on the Oscars stage, actor Will Smith has resigned as a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. In a statement issued Friday, Smith apologized for his behavior Sunday and said he'll...
Chris Rock Was 'Dismissive'
of LAPD Arresting Will Smith
Apr 1, 2022 12:06 AM CDT
Chris Rock Was 'Dismissive' of LAPD Arresting Will Smith
Meanwhile, Smith's apology call to Academy leadership is causing yet more controversy
- After the Oscars slap heard 'round the world, Los Angeles Police Department officers approached Chris Rock and made it clear they would arrest Will Smith if that's what he wanted, according to an Academy Awards producer who sat down for an interview with
Good Morning America
Near the Slap:
Mar 31, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Famed Director Was Seated Near the Slap: His View
Pedro Almodovar blasts Will Smith for talking like a 'cult leader' in his acceptance speech
- Director Pedro Almodovar attended the Academy Awards this year and wrote an Oscar-night diary for IndieWire . It would be interesting reading for movie fans in any year as he talks about his run-ins with celebs including Nicole Kidman, Javier Bardem, and Al Pacino, and carps about the cold temperature in...
What Chris Rock Said
at His Show in Boston Tonight
Mar 30, 2022 8:49 PM CDT
What Chris Rock Said at His Show in Boston Tonight
Comedian didn't fully address the Oscars incident, but said he will eventually
- Chris Rock took the stage for the first time since Will Smith slapped him in the face on live television at the Academy Awards, and he told a sold-out crowd at Boston's Wilbur theater that he's "still kind of processing what happened," and that while he...
Will Smith Refused
to Leave Ceremony
Mar 30, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Academy Says Will Smith Refused to Leave Ceremony
Board of governors condemns 'deeply shocking, traumatic event'
This story has been updated with new developments
. Will Smith remained sitting in the front row at the Oscars after he slapped Chris Rock on Sunday night, but he was no longer a welcome guest, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences says. The Academy said Wednesday that...
'I Was Wrong,' Will Smith
Tells Chris Rock in Post
Mar 29, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
'I Was Wrong,' Will Smith Tells Chris Rock in Post
Support and backlash are circulating after Oscar-winning actor slapped comedian onstage
This file has been updated to include Will Smith's online post Monday
. Will Smith has written a public apology to Chris Rock for slapping him Sunday night during the Academy Awards ceremony,
reports. "I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris," says the Instagram...
Oscar Ratings Climb
to Second-Worst Ever
Mar 28, 2022 7:50 PM CDT
Oscar Ratings Climb to Second-Worst Ever
Audience grew 59% over last year's, early Nielsen numbers show
- One thing that improved this year for the Oscars was the TV ratings. Preliminary Nielsen data show 15.4 million people watched Sunday night's ceremony, up 56% from last year's 9.85 million. Even with that jump, though, the show's performance ranks as historically poor—last year'...
Mar 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Tim Cook Just Dunked on Netflix, Amazon
Oscar win for his platform's 'CODA' gives him bragging rights ahead of older rivals
won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday, it handed a huge victory to Tim Cook and his Apple+ streaming platform. After all, Cook "triumphed just two and a half years after formally entering the film and TV business," writes Matthew Belloni at Puck . He trumped...
Here Are Your Oscar Winners
Mar 28, 2022 3:03 AM CDT
Here Are Your Oscar Winners
Apple TV+ drama 'CODA' wins best picture
- After a movie year often light on crowds, the Academy Awards named an unabashed crowd-pleaser, the deaf family drama
, best picture Sunday, handing Hollywood’s top award to a streaming service for the first time. Sian Heder’s
which first premiered at a virtual Sundance Film Festival in...
Shows Up to Oscars
Stewart in Shorts
Mar 28, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Timothee Chalamet Shows Up to Oscars Shirtless, Kristen Stewart in Shorts
Check out the best, worst, and weirdest red carpet looks
- Timothee Chalamet showed up shirtless, Kristen Stewart showed up in shorts, and a bunch of other Academy Awards attendees showed up looking just as glamorous as one might expect to walk the Oscars red carpet Sunday night. Scroll through our gallery for some of the looks selected by
Will Smith Slaps
Chris Rock at Oscars
Mar 27, 2022 10:37 PM CDT
Will Smith Slaps Chris Rock at Oscars
After joke about Jada Pinkett Smith
- A 94th Academy Awards that steadily maintained a buoyant spirit was rocked by an unbelievable exchange after Will Smith took offense to a joke made by Chris Rock about his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. After Rock joked to Pinkett Smith that he was looking forward to a sequel to
8 Oscars Have
Mar 27, 2022 6:54 PM CDT
8 Oscars Have Already Been Handed Out
'Dune' wins 4 before the Academy Awards ceremony officially begins
- Denis Villeneuve's science-fiction epic
has won four Academy Awards, even if the broadcast hasn't begun yet. The 94th Academy Awards got underway Sunday off-camera, with the first eight awards on the night being handed out at the Dolby Theatre before the ABC telecast started at 8pm Eastern...
Sean Penn Issues
an Oscar Threat
Mar 27, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
Sean Penn Issues an Oscar Threat
He pledges to 'smelt' his awards if Ukraine's Zelensky is not allowed an appearance
- The Oscars are awarded Sunday night, and rumors are flying that Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky might make an appearance via video. The
New York Post
reports that no decision has been made as Academy officials debate the idea. However, Oscar winner Sean Penn—a fierce critic of Russia's invasion—...
I Can't Believe
I'm Still the
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
Halle Berry: I Can't Believe I'm Still the Only One
She became first Black woman to win top Oscar 20 years ago, says it's 'heartbreaking' there isn't a 2nd
- After the Oscars are handed out on Sunday, it's a sure bet that Halle Berry will remain the only Black woman to have won the best actress award. As CNN notes, no Black women are nominated this year. Berry won her Oscar for
in 2002, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Moans and Worse Heard Over Airline's PA System
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Court Doc: Texas AG Fled While Being Served Subpoena
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.