Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Melting Ice Coughs Up
Good as New
Sep 26, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Melting Ice Coughs Up 3K-Year-Old Arrow, Good as New
Scientists race to recover artifacts uncovered by climate change before they're spoiled
- If anyone else had come upon the wooden arrow with feather fletching and a quartzite tip, they might have thought it was new. But as the
New York Times
reports, glacial archaeologist Espen Finstad immediately suspected the arrow he found this month in the Jotunheimen mountains of eastern Norway was...
to Marry Next Year
Sep 13, 2023 2:54 PM CDT
Norwegian Princess, American Shaman to Marry Next Year
Princess Martha Louise is the Norwegian king's eldest child
- The Norwegian king's eldest child, Princess Martha Louise, will marry her American partner, the self-professed shaman Durek Verrett , next summer, the couple announced Wednesday. King Harald V said in a statement that his family was "delighted to welcome" Verret, who is from California and claims to be a...
Guy With Metal Detector
Makes 'Find of the
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Guy With Metal Detector Makes 'Find of the Century'
Erlend Bore of Norway uncovers 1,500-year-old necklace with symbol from Norse mythology
- When doctors told Erlend Bore to get off the couch, he went out and bought his first ever metal detector. The Norwegian had always dreamed of being an archaeologist and figured if he didn't find anything, at least he'd get some exercise. He did get out walking, but...
This Border Fence
Is for Unusual Trespassers
Aug 25, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
This Border Fence Is for Unusual Trespassers
Reindeer keep walking from Norway into Russia, and Russia wants payment for eaten grass
- Norway is rebuilding a dilapidated reindeer fence along its border with Russia in the Arctic to stop the animals from wandering into the neighboring country—costly strolls for which Oslo has to compensate Moscow over loss of grassland. Norwegian officials say that so far this year, 42 reindeer have crossed...
Scottish Islands Want
a Return to Norway
Jul 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Scottish Islands Want a Return to Norway
Orkney Islands say they're being neglected by Edinburgh and London
- The push for Scottish independence has been going, well, not very well for centuries, and now Scotland's Orkney Islands are looking to take matters into their own hands. As the BBC reports, local officials, tired of getting what they deem short-shrift from their relationships with both Edinburgh and the...
Apr 26, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Sweden Accidentally Fires Rocket Into Norway
Its neighbor, a little peeved, claims notice wasn't relayed through 'proper channels'
- Monday morning is perhaps not the best time for a rocket launch, as Sweden may have learned when it fired off a research rocket, only to have it land off target in neighboring Norway. The rocket launched at 7:20am local time Monday from the Esrange Space Center in northern...
Report: Russia Is Spying
With Civilian Boats
Apr 20, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Report: Russia Is Spying With Civilian Boats
Nordic public broadcasters say they've uncovered spying program in the North Sea
- A joint investigation by the public broadcasters of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland has uncovered a large fleet of Russian spy ships allegedly posing as fishing vessels in the North Sea. The broadcasters—DR in Denmark, NRK in Norway, SVT in Sweden, and Yle in Finland—say about 50 Russian...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Mar 20, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Nation on Earth
The honors go to Finland, per annual World Happiness Report; US comes in 15th
- It may be cold in the Nordic countries, but residents' hearts are warm. At least, that's what the 10th annual World Happiness Report found during this year's ranking of 137 nations. Per the Verge , the report—which uses study data and self-assessed life evaluations—found that we've...
Big Dig in Norway Turns Up
'Dream of All Runologists'
Jan 17, 2023 11:15 AM CST
Big Dig in Norway Turns Up 'Dream of All Runologists'
Archaeologists announce discovery of world's oldest runestone—perhaps as old as Jesus
- Archaeologists say they've discovered the oldest known runestone—a stone inscribed with runic letters, which represent the oldest known alphabet in Scandinavia—perhaps as old as Jesus Christ. The University of Oslo's Museum of Cultural History says it's "the oldest datable runestone" and that its inscription,...
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake
Could Be From Middle Ages
Dec 13, 2022 12:22 PM CST
Shipwreck in Norwegian Lake Could Be From Middle Ages
More vessels likely to be discovered during sonar scan of Lake Mjosa
- A survey of the biggest lake in Norway has revealed an almost perfectly preserved shipwreck, possibly from the Middle Ages. The 33-foot-long wooden ship is believed to have sunk between the 1300s and 1850 based on signs of a central rudder at what appears to be the ship's stern,...
A New Reason Why Munch's
Famous Painting Is Screaming
Nov 12, 2022 9:00 AM CST
A New Reason Why Munch's Famous Painting Is Screaming
Climate activists tried to glue themselves to 'The Scream' at National Museum in Oslo, Norway
- Norwegian police said two climate activists tried in vain Friday to glue themselves to Edvard Munch's 1893 masterpiece
at an Oslo museum, and that no harm was reported to the famous painting. Police said they were alerted to the incident by Norway's National Museum and had...
Princess Giving Up Royal
Duties Over Shaman Fiance
Nov 8, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Princess Giving Up Royal Duties Over Shaman Fiance
Princess Martha Louise will no longer represent Norwegian Royal House
- Princess Martha Louise, the daughter of Norway's King Harald, said Tuesday she no longer will officially represent the Norwegian Royal House following "many questions relating to me and my fiance's role." The 51-year-old princess, who's fourth in line to the Norwegian throne, got engaged in...
Drivers Rescued After
'Unreal' Bridge Collapse
Aug 15, 2022 6:22 PM CDT
Drivers Rescued After 'Unreal' Bridge Collapse
Bridge in southern Norway was only 10 years old
- A wooden bridge in southern Norway collapsed early Monday—and with the cause still unknown, the country's drivers are worried. Two drivers who were on the Tretten bridge at the time escaped with their lives, the BBC reports. The driver of a car that plunged into the Gudbrandsdalslaagen river...
Freya the Walrus
Aug 15, 2022 12:11 AM CDT
Freya the Walrus Euthanized
Her wellbeing and human wellbeing were both determined to be in danger
The tragic ending authorities had warned of came to pass for Freya the walrus when she was euthanized early Sunday. The decision was made after authorities "concluded that we could not guarantee the wellbeing of the animal by any of the means available," said a Norway fisheries...
in the Arctic
Aug 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Camper in the Arctic Injured by Polar Bear
French tourist survives, but bear in Norway is killed
- A polar bear attacked a campsite Monday in Norway's remote Arctic Svalbard Islands, injuring a French tourist, per the AP . Her wounds weren't life-threatening, and the bear was later killed. The woman, who wasn't identified, was part of a tour group of 25 people camping at Sveasletta,...
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves
2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Jun 25, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Shooting at Pride Fest Leaves 2 Dead, 10 Seriously Injured
Police investigating mass shooting in Norwegian capital of Oslo as possible terror attack
- A gunman opened fire in Oslo's nightlife district early Saturday, killing two people and leaving 10 seriously wounded in what police are investigating as a possible terrorist attack during the Norwegian capital's annual Pride festival. Investigators said the suspect, identified as a 42-year-old Norwegian citizen originally from Iran,...
If Ikea Has Its Way, Your
Baby Will Be Named Malm
Jun 9, 2022 11:52 AM CDT
If Ikea Has Its Way, Your Baby Will Be Named Malm
Swedish retailer's Norway branch offers 'name bank' with hundreds of ideas based on its products
- Have you thought about Malm, Kivik, or Trotten? Swedish retailer Ikea is known for the distinctive names of its flat-pack home products. Now, the company's Norway branch wants to use the brand's experience to help parents browsing the baby-naming department. Ikea Norway has built a "name bank"...
In Norway, Melting Ice
Reveals Ancient History
Apr 30, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
In Norway, Melting Ice Reveals Ancient History
Global warming is helping archaeologists write a new chapter about mountain wilderness
- In 2019, a Norwegian mountaineer stumbled across a soggy, twisted blob of leather on a patch of ice. Before continuing, he reported the find to archaeologists with Secrets of the Ice, a project that researches ancient trade routes exposed in recent decades by melting icepack. “He sent us GPS...
4 US Troops Die During
NATO Exercise in Norway
Mar 19, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
4 US Troops Die During NATO Exercise in Norway
Cold Response exercise unrelated to war in Ukraine, Norway's PM says
- Four US soldiers were killed in a plane crash in a Norwegian town in the Arctic Circle during a NATO exercise unrelated to the Ukraine war, Norway's prime minister said Saturday. Jonas Gahr Stoere tweeted that they were killed in the crash on Friday night. The cause was under...
In a First, Taliban Delegation
Is Heading to Europe
Jan 21, 2022 1:53 PM CST
In a First, Taliban Delegation Is Heading to Europe
Talks with the US are on the agenda
- A Taliban delegation will travel to Norway for talks with the Norwegian government and representatives from several allied countries, including the US, per the AP . The Norwegian Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has invited representatives of the Taliban to Oslo from Sunday to Tuesday to hold talks covering humanitarian...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.