Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Yum? Great Lakes Provide
Lampreys for Queen's Pie
Apr 27, 2012 5:38 PM CDT
Yum? Great Lakes Provide Lampreys for Queen's Pie
England needs them for Elizabeth's jubilee dessert
- The slimy eel-like creature known as a sea lamprey happens to be the special ingredient in a traditional English pie that will be cooked up for Queen Elizabeth II to celebrate the 60th anniversary of her reign in June, reports the
Detroit Free Press
. But the animals are endangered and...
Jul 29, 2011 9:17 AM CDT
Murdoch Pie-Thrower Convicted of Assault
Jonathan May-Bowles pleads guilty in 15-minute hearing
- The man who tossed a shaving-cream pie in the face of Rupert Murdoch on live TV has been convicted of assault and causing harassment, the AP reports. Jonathan May-Bowles, 26, owned up to the pie-throwing in court today. After the 15-minute hearing, May-Bowles, a standup comic who also goes by...
Steals the Show
Jul 19, 2011 4:36 PM CDT
Smackdown by Murdoch's Wife Steals the Show
A glimpse into the life of Wendi Deng
- When a protester launched a pie at Rupert Murdoch today , his wife leaped to his rescue, pushing others aside before bashing the assailant on the head. Where did 42-year-old Wendi Deng get such guts—and such reflexes? Born in China, she grew up at a tough time in the country’...
Pies Sen. Levin
Aug 17, 2010 5:02 AM CDT
Anti-War Activist Pies Sen. Levin
Student arrested after pieing senator over 'war crimes'
- Sen. Carl Levin was served with a pie in the face by a Michigan State student activist during an informal Q & A session held in a local deli yesterday. The 23-year-old, who tossed the pie after a fellow anti-war protester made a speech criticizing the Democratic senator over "...
Comic Soupy Sales
Dead at 83
Oct 22, 2009 10:54 PM CDT
Comic Soupy Sales Dead at 83
Always willing to take a pie in the face, he battled a variety of illnesses
- Soupy Sales, the rubber-faced comedian whose anything-for-a-chuckle career was built on 20,000 pies to the face and 5,000 live TV appearances across a half-century of laughs, died tonight at 83. A longtime friend said Sales died at a hospice in New York, which he entered last week as...
Walks the Walk
on Fitness, Health
Sep 28, 2009 4:40 PM CDT
Michelle Obama Walks the Walk on Fitness, Health
First lady joins administration's push for more positive habits
- The Obama administration's push for better fitness and nutrition starts at the top, with the gym-rat president and garden-planting first lady setting the bar high for a nation of couch potatoes. It's all about moderation, Michelle Obama tells
magazine. "My message to women: Do what makes you feel...
'Piegate' Nabs Homemade Treats
Apr 10, 2009 10:47 AM CDT
'Piegate' Nabs Homemade Treats
Pa. food inspectors crack down on sale of non-commercial goods
- Homemade pies are under siege in Pennsylvania, as state inspectors crack down on commercial goods not baked in approved kitchens. The "piegate" affair started at a small-town fish fry, where the desserts are part of the Catholic parish's Lent fundraiser, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Safety codes require use...
Shame On You, America:
Give Pie Some Respect
Dec 21, 2008 9:30 AM CST
Shame On You, America: Give Pie Some Respect
A Salon writer spends a few thousand words saying that
- Plenty of people like pie. But they don’t love it the way they should, says Vincent Rossmeier of Salon. “For too long, pie has played the ugly stepchild to that flamboyant diva of desserts, cake,” he argues. “Sure, plastered with enough frosting and chocolate-ganache implants, cake...
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Taylor Swift Hits a 10-Figure Milestone
For 2 Years in a Row, Man Has Won $10M at Same Store
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.