Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting
in Russia Soon: Reports
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting in Russia Soon: Reports
Leaders expected to discuss weapons, sources say
- A US official said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia soon to meet with President Vladimir Putin as the Kremlin tries to acquire military equipment for use in its war in Ukraine, the AP reports. The official, who was not authorized to address the...
N. Korea: Latest
Nuclear Attack on South
Mar 20, 2023 12:36 AM CDT
N. Korea: Latest Launch Simulated Nuclear Attack on South
Kim Jong Un calls for country's nuclear forces to increase readiness for war
- North Korea on Monday described its latest ballistic missile launch as a simulated nuclear attack on South Korea as leader Kim Jong Un called for his nuclear forces to sharpen their war readiness in the face of his rival's expanding military exercises with the United States. The report by...
North Korea's Famous
'Pink Lady' Is Rewarded
Apr 14, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
North Korea's Famous 'Pink Lady' Is Rewarded
Kim Jong Un just gave the veteran newsreader a new home
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has gifted a home to a broadcaster who's been a major voice of the ruling Workers' Party for the past 50 years. Ri Chun Hi, dubbed the "pink lady" for her pink, often traditional clothing, has reported some of the biggest news...
North Korea's Missile
Launches Keep Coming
Jan 18, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea's Missile Launches Keep Coming
North Korea confirms 4th missile launch this month
North Korea said Tuesday it had conducted a test-firing of “tactical guided missiles,” a day after South Korea’s military detected the North launching two ballistic missiles into the sea. Monday’s test was North Korea’s fourth round of missile launches this month and the second...
Latest North Korea
Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Jan 14, 2022 12:50 AM CST
Latest North Korea Launch Is Apparent Reprisal
Pyongyang carries out third weapons launch this month
- North Korea on Friday fired at least one possible ballistic missile in its third weapons launch this month, officials in South Korea and Japan said, in an apparent reprisal for fresh sanctions imposed by the Biden administration for its continuing test launches. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said...
Yeah, That Was
Jan 6, 2022 12:25 AM CST
North Korea: Yeah, That Was a Hypersonic Missile
Pyongyang says it hit a target 435 miles away
North Korea claimed Thursday that its Wednesday launch was the second successful test flight of a hypersonic missile. The official Korean Central News Agency said the Central Committee of the ruling Workers’ Party expressed “great satisfaction” at the results of the missile test, which was observed by leading...
Man Who Crossed
DMZ Into North Korea
Believed to Be Gymnast
Jan 4, 2022 12:23 AM CST
Man Who Crossed DMZ Into North Korea Believed to Be Gymnast
He is believed to have first defected from North to South last year
The person who crossed the DMZ to enter North Korea over the weekend is a male gymnast, Seoul says. He is believed to have defected from North to South Korea last year, and on Saturday made his way back, the BBC reports. Why he did so is not clear,...
'Long Time No Talk':
South Korean Official
to North Korean Official
Oct 4, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
'Long Time No Talk': South Korean Official to North Korean Official
Hotlines between two countries restored
North Korea on Monday restored its hotlines with South Korea, and communication resumed on them for the first time in almost two months. "Long time no talk. We’re very pleased because the communication channels have been restored like this. We hope that South-North relations will develop into...
N. Korea Military Parade
Features Anti-COVID Units
Sep 9, 2021 7:24 AM CDT
N. Korea Military Parade Features Anti-COVID Units
Annual event was unusually toned-down, analysts say
- Civil defense forces carrying rifles and personnel wearing gas masks and red hazmat suits paraded North Korea’s capital overnight in a celebration of the nation’s 73rd anniversary that was a marked departure from past militaristic displays. The parade—overseen by leader Kim Jong Un, wearing a cream suit...
Kim Jong Un's
Sister Issues a
Warning to Biden
Mar 16, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Sister Issues a Warning to Biden
In North Korea's first comments directed toward the new US president
- For the first time, a high-level regime official in North Korea has addressed remarks directly to President Biden. The warning message took issue with the US and South Korea's joint military drills, which began March 8, the
reports. "We take this opportunity to warn the new...
Kim Is Developing
Baby Nukes: UN Experts
Aug 5, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
Kim Is Developing Baby Nukes: UN Experts
Report finds North Korea is expanding its nuclear arsenal, ballistic missile program
- UN experts say North Korea is flouting UN sanctions by expanding its nuclear arsenal and ballistic missile program and by exporting coal and illegally importing refined petroleum products in excess of its annual quota. In a report obtained Tuesday by the AP , the experts said that North Korea has also...
Leaflets on Kim's Wife
Were 'the Last Straw'
Jun 30, 2020 1:52 PM CDT
Leaflets on Kim's Wife Were 'the Last Straw'
Russian ambassador says 'propaganda' featuring Ri Sol Ju was 'a special kind of dirty'
- We may now know why North Korea was so upset with a recent round of anti-Pyongyang leaflets floated across the border from South Korea. Leaflets launched May 31—two weeks before North Korean officials blew up a joint liaison office —included provocative, Photoshopped images of Kim Jong Un's...
Russia to Kim:
Here, Have a Medal
May 5, 2020 7:44 AM CDT
Russia to Kim: Here, Have a Medal
Moscow has decided to honor Kim Jong Un's commemoration of WWII Soviet soldiers
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has given a commemorative World War II medal to the recently resurfaced Kim Jong Un . The North Korean leader was awarded "for his great personal contribution to the commemoration of dead and buried Soviet citizens on the territory of [North Korea] and showing concern about...
North Korea Promises
'Christmas Gift' for US
Dec 3, 2019 9:07 AM CST
North Korea Promises 'Christmas Gift' for US
What it is depends on US actions: official
- North Korea says the US could be in for an unpleasant Christmas gift unless denuclearization talks move forward. The veiled threat came Tuesday as Pyongyang denounced little progress in discussions with Washington, reports CNBC . Calls for a "sustained and substantial dialogue" are "nothing but a foolish trick" serving...
N. Korea Has Swiped $2B
in Cyberattacks: Report
Aug 6, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
N. Korea Has Swiped $2B in Cyberattacks: Report
North Korea targeted banks and cryptocurrency exchanges to fund its WMD program
- North Korea has funneled $2 billion into its weapons of mass destruction programs by using cyberattacks to pilfer from banks and cryptocurrency exchanges, according to a confidential UN report seen by Reuters and CBS News . The "widespread and increasingly sophisticated" attacks carried out by actors under the direction of...
US Seizes North Korean Ship
May 9, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
US Seizes North Korean Ship
Ship was violating international sanctions, authorities say
- In what the
New York Times
calls "a move certain to escalate tensions already on the rise" between the US and North Korea, the US has seized a North Korean cargo ship. The Justice Department says Wise Honest, the second-largest shipping vessel in Pyongyang’s fleet, was violating US...
Kim Jong Un Had a New Year's
Message for Trump
Jan 1, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Kim Jong Un Had a New Year's Message for Trump
North Korean leader declares intention to continue talks with US
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said Tuesday he hopes to extend his high-stakes nuclear summitry with President Donald Trump into 2019, but also warns Washington not to test North Koreans' patience with sanctions and pressure, the AP reports. During his televised New Year's speech, Kim said he's...
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not
According to These Images
Dec 6, 2018 9:50 AM CST
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not According to These Images
Satellite pics shows possible new missile site near border with China
- People lie, satellite images don't—hence why the US and South Korea are closely monitoring a new suspected missile site near North Korea's central border with China. The facility in Hoejung-ni, "one of the most likely sites for deploying intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United...
Will Be Deported
Nov 16, 2018 1:00 AM CST
North Korea: Detained American Will Be Deported
Alleged CIA operative was arrested a month ago
- North Korea said Friday that it will deport an American citizen it detained one month ago for illegally entering the country. The announcement suggests that North Korea still wants to maintain the mood for dialogue with the United States despite stalled nuclear diplomacy, the AP reports. In the past, North...
Mike Pompeo Is Going
Back to North Korea
Oct 3, 2018 12:03 AM CDT
Mike Pompeo Is Going Back to North Korea
Secretary of state will visit Pyongyang Sunday
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is on course to rack up more visits to North Korea than Dennis Rodman. The State Department announced Tuesday that Pompeo will meet with Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang on Sunday during an Asia trip that will also include stops in South Korea, China, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.