Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fatal Blasts Hit 2 Separate
Sites Housing Explosives
Jul 29, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Fatal Blasts Hit 2 Separate Sites Housing Explosives
9 are dead after explosion at Thai fireworks warehouse; 8 die in firecracker plant blast in India
- A large explosion at a fireworks warehouse in southern Thailand on Saturday killed at least nine people and wounded scores, officials said. The governor of the province of Narathiwat, Sanan Pongaksorn, told public broadcaster Thai PBS that at least 115 people were hurt, and that many were in serious condition....
Why Some Cities Have
Ditched Traditional Fireworks
Jul 4, 2023 5:52 PM CDT
Why Some Cities Have Ditched Traditional Fireworks
Drones don't leave a haze of smoke behind or increase wildfire risks
- Cities including Boulder, Colorado and Salt Lake City, Utah have ditched traditional fireworks for the first time this year in favor of Fourth of July drone light shows, which advocates say are less polluting, safer—and don't stress out every dog in town. Rick Boss, the president of Sky...
One Dead, 9 Injured
in Fireworks Blast
Jul 4, 2023 11:17 AM CDT
One Dead, 9 Injured in Fireworks Blast
It's not yet clear if explosion in western Michigan was part of organized Fourth of July event
- A fireworks explosion in western Michigan killed one woman and left nine other people with injuries ranging from critical to minor, the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department said. The explosion happened Monday, but a news release from the department didn't say whether it occurred during an organized July Fourth...
Idea for Fourth
Jul 2, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Silly String? Forest Service's Idea for Fourth Doesn't Land
Environmental groups question the alternative to fireworks, but like the bigger message
- Smokey Bear's admonition that "Only you can prevent wildfires" remains, in a time of drought, as important to remember as ever. But it's equally true that only you can prevent forests from being covered with Silly String. US Forest Service managers in the drought-stricken Southwest are urging...
Florida Man Set Off a
Firework, Lost His Hand
Jul 4, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Florida Man Set Off a Firework, Lost His Hand
The Broward Sheriff's Office confirmed the Saturday morning incident
- July 4 weekend seems to bring with it a great many fireworks and a few gruesome fireworks accidents. The first such accident of 2022 to make national headlines occurred in South Florida, where the Broward Sheriff's Office says it responded to a call around 1am Saturday, reports Fox 35...
in Sky to Replace
July 4 Fireworks
Jul 1, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Across US, Giant 'Lite-Brite' in Sky to Replace July 4 Fireworks
Drones increasingly being used in lieu of traditional July 4 pyrotechnics due to fire, noise concerns
- Goodbye, fireworks finales; hello ... drone formations? That's what multiple cities across the US may be seeing this July Fourth weekend, with traditional pyrotechnics shows replaced with drone light extravaganzas—especially in the Southwest, where just one spark on the drought-affected landscape can set off an inferno. Axios reports this...
Goalie's Fireworks Death
Dec 4, 2021 2:40 PM CST
Goalie's Fireworks Death Ruled Accidental
No one will be charged in the death of Matiss Kivlenieks, prosecutors say
: The death of an NHL goalie in a Fourth of July fireworks accident in the Detroit area has been ruled accidental. No criminal charges will be filed, Oakland County prosecutors announced this week. Matiss Kivlenieks died of chest trauma when he was hit by a fireworks mortar blast in...
Technicians' Gaffe Blamed
for Huge LA Explosion
Jul 20, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Technicians' Gaffe Blamed for Huge LA Explosion
Bomb crew miscalculated the 'explosive weight' of seized fireworks
- Los Angeles bomb technicians overloaded a containment chamber with homemade fireworks last month during a detonation, likely causing a catastrophic explosion that injured 17 people and rocked a neighborhood, the police chief said Monday, per the AP . Chief Michel Moore said five members of the department’s bomb squad have...
Jul 5, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Columbus Goalie Dies After Fireworks Accident
Blue Jackets' Matiss Kivlenieks played for Latvia in world championship this spring
- Latvia's Matiss Kivlenieks, a candidate to be the Columbus Blue Jackets' future goaltender, died in Michigan on Sunday night after a Fourth of July fireworks accident. He was 24. A medical examiner said Monday that an autopsy determined that Kivlenieks died of chest trauma from an errant fireworks mortar...
Jul 1, 2021 1:22 AM CDT
Video Captures Los Angeles Fireworks Explosion
At least 16 people injured, 3 seriously
- A cache of illegal fireworks seized at a South Los Angeles home exploded Wednesday evening, damaging nearby homes and cars and injuring at least 16 people, three of them seriously, authorities said. Police had called in a bomb squad after a tip led them to seize some 5,000 pounds...
Exploding Fireworks Stash
Kills 2 in California
Mar 16, 2021 6:33 PM CDT
Exploding Fireworks Stash Kills 2 in California
Illegal stash caused massive blast, fire
- Two people were killed when a large fireworks stash exploded Tuesday in inland southern California, setting off a series of blasts that rocked the residential neighborhood and sent up a huge plume of smoke, authorities said. Authorities—including the FBI—are investigating the explosion of commercial-grade fireworks in Ontario, about...
Man's Head 'Torn Off' in
NYE Firework Incident
Jan 1, 2021 8:25 AM CST
Man's Head 'Torn Off' in NYE Firework Incident
Another man died in Germany
- A man in eastern France was killed when a New Year's Eve firework exploded after he went back to inspect it, reports the AP . The 25-year-old died instantly in the incident in Boofzheim, close to France's eastern border with Germany, the regional government said Friday. AFP reports his...
As Fireworks Complaints Boom,
Theories Are Exploding, Too
Jun 25, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
As Fireworks Complaints Boom, Theories Are Exploding, Too
Americans are just bored, officials and retailers say
- Police in Denver and Syracuse say calls complaining about fireworks being set off are up tenfold this year. Hartford has gone from a few calls a night to 200. New York City had received about 1,000 calls at this time last year; so far in 2020, it's logged...
Trump's Fireworks Display
Is a Bad Idea, Expert Says
Jun 24, 2020 4:50 PM CDT
Trump's Fireworks Display Is a Bad Idea, Expert Says
Conditions are especially dry this year, but Interior Department sees no problem
- A fireworks display at Mount Rushmore often is dangerous, one fire expert who knows the place says. But the ponderosa pine forest around the monument in the Black Hills of South Dakota is especially dry this year, the
reports, making it "extremely flammable," said Bill Gabbert,...
Record-Setting Firework Turns
Sky Red Over Colorado Festival
Feb 10, 2020 7:17 PM CST
Record-Setting Firework Turns Sky Red Over Colorado Festival
Team had worked for 7 years toward Guinness recognition
- After thousands of hours of building fireworks over seven years—and one failed attempt due to a premature explosion—a team has brought the record for the world's largest firework to Colorado. The explosion turned the sky over Steamboat Springs' winter carnival red on Saturday night and earned a...
Sydney: 'We Can't Cancel'
Show Despite Conditions
Dec 29, 2019 2:40 PM CST
Sydney: 'We Can't Cancel' Show Despite Conditions
The city's NYE fireworks display will likely go on
- Cancel its world-famous New Year's Eve fireworks show? No way, say Australian officials, despite concerns about holding the event while over 100 wildfires rage across the country, CNN reports. Under pressure to cancel, Sydney's Lord Mayor Clover Moore said she was "moved by the outpouring of support...
Singer Dies in Onstage
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 7, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Singer Dies in Onstage Fireworks Explosion
Joana Sainz Garcia was only 30 years old
- A Spanish singer lost her life Sunday when an exploding firework struck her onstage and left the audience in stunned silence, the BBC reports. Joana Sainz Garcia was performing near Madrid with a 15-member group of musicians, singers, and dancers when the cartridge knocked her unconscious at about 2am local...
Crews Dodge Rockets as
Fireworks at Stand Explode
Jul 4, 2019 3:56 PM CDT
Crews Dodge Rockets as Fireworks at Stand Explode
No one is injured in South Carolina fire
- Storage containers holding fireworks burned and exploded before dawn Thursday in a South Carolina town, forcing firefighters to dodge rockets in flight while they worked. The storage containers outside Davey Jones Fireworks in Fort Mill caught fire about 5:45am, per WSOC , causing shells and rockets to burst out of...
19 Killed, Including a Minor, in
Mexico Fireworks Explosion
Jul 5, 2018 5:47 PM CDT
19 Killed, Including a Minor, in Mexico Fireworks Explosion
Dozens were also injured
- Nineteen people were killed and at least 40 injured Thursday when a series of explosions ripped through fireworks workshops in a town just north of Mexico City, the AP reports. The dead included four firefighters and two police officers who rushed to the scene after the first explosion, only to...
'I Will Make Your Lives on
Dove Lane Insanely Miserable'
Jul 5, 2018 12:41 PM CDT
'I Will Make Your Lives on Dove Lane Insanely Miserable'
Letter threatened against use of fireworks, didn't work
- No July 4th is complete without hearing at least one person complain about fireworks, but a Michigan resident took that to the extreme. Fox 2 reports on the brouhaha and the resolution. The former began Sunday, when four homes on Dove Lane in Chesterfield Township found a letter penned by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.