Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
chronic traumatic encephalopathy
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Largest Brain Study of Young
Athletes, a 'Remarkable' Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
In Largest Brain Study of Young Athletes, a 'Remarkable' Find
Researchers find 41% of late players under 30 showed signs of CTE
- Diagnoses of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) have been found in pro football players , pro soccer players , and pro hockey players . Now, a new study out of Boston University's CTE Center focuses on a new demographic affected by CTE: mainly amateurs playing on the youth, high school, and college circuits....
First Female Athlete
Diagnosed With CTE
Jul 5, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
First Female Athlete Diagnosed With CTE
Heather Anderson, who played Australian Rules football, took her life last year at age 28
- An unwanted sports world first: Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the degenerative brain disease that has been increasingly diagnosed in male athletes, has for the first time been diagnosed in a female professional athlete. Scientists say Heather Anderson, who played Australian Rules football before she died by suicide last year at...
A Legend of Hockey
Jun 15, 2023 2:15 PM CDT
A Legend of Hockey Had CTE
Montreal Canadiens great Henri Richard is diagnosed posthumously
- The late Henri Richard is a hockey Hall of Famer who has a record 11 Stanley Cups on his resume and, now, a more troubling legacy: The Montreal Canadiens star had chronic traumatic encephalopathy when he died in 2020 at age 84, according to the Concussion Legacy Foundation Canada, per...
CTE Debate Moves
From Football to Soccer
May 16, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
CTE Debate Moves From Football to Soccer
Concussion Legacy Foundation diagnoses 4 former pros amid contested summit on brain injury
- English soccer star Jimmy Fryatt was known for his ability to head the ball, and the proof of his prowess may be in the damage it did to his brain. Still physically fit in his late 70s, the AP reports that the late Fryatt played tennis but couldn’t keep...
Critics on Weird Sport:
'One of the Stupidest
Things You Can Do'
Mar 9, 2023 9:20 AM CST
Critics on Weird Sport: 'One of the Stupidest Things You Can Do'
UFC President Dana White says slap fighting is just good fun, but concussion experts disagree
- The competitors stand rigidly upright with their hands behind their backs, waiting to absorb a brutal slap to the face. When the open-handed blow is delivered, there's a sharp report and the reaction can be dramatic. Some fighters barely move, while others stumble backward or fall to the floor....
In CTE Study,
a Sky-High Number
Feb 8, 2023 12:48 PM CST
In CTE Study, a Sky-High Number
CTE found in 92% of ex-NFL players' brains that were studied
- A Boston University study of the brains of deceased former football players had shocking results: More than 90% of them were diagnosed with the brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy. The Boston University CTE Center says that of 376 former players whose brains were studied, 345, or 91.7%, had CTE,...
She Said NCAA
Nov 23, 2022 8:13 AM CST
She Said NCAA Caused Husband's Death. Jury Disagrees
Jurors rule in favor of sports body, blamed by wife of ex-USC player Matthew Gee for his CTE
- A Los Angeles jury on Tuesday rejected a claim by the widow of a former USC football player who said the NCAA failed to protect him from repeated head trauma that led to his death. Matthew Gee, a linebacker on the 1990 Rose Bowl-winning squad, endured an estimated 6,000...
Experts Challenge QB's
View of His Risk for CTE
Oct 20, 2022 11:57 AM CDT
Experts Challenge QB's View of His Risk for CTE
Miami's Tua Tagovailoa, cleared to play Sunday, suggests quarterbacks are at less risk
- Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has been hammered with big hits in his last two games—including a headline-making concussion on Sept. 29—and he's hoping to break the streak on Sunday. The NFL has cleared Tagovailoa to play this weekend, reports ESPN . The 24-year-old spoke for the first...
Had CTE When He Died
Jul 6, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Demaryius Thomas Had CTE When He Died
'Educate yourself on this,' says his mom
- Demaryius Thomas died in December at age 33 , just a few months after retiring from the NFL. On Tuesday, his family announced the four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and former Denver Bronco had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated blows to the head. Like many other...
CTE Finds Its Way
Into Another Pro Sport
Jun 29, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
CTE Finds Its Way Into Another Pro Sport
Scott Vermillion, who died in 2020, is first Major League Soccer player to be diagnosed
- It's long been known that football players are at risk for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Now, another sport—one in which the head is often used during game play—is making headlines in connection with the degenerative brain condition. Researchers from Boston University's CTE Center say Scott...
His Catastrophic Bobsled
Crash May Have Saved Him
Jan 9, 2022 11:35 AM CST
His Catastrophic Bobsled Crash May Have Saved Him
Doctors say career-ending crash at 21 kept Joe Sisson from suffering later brain damage
- "I've got survivor's guilt big time," says Joe Sisson. He's a former bobsledder, a onetime Olympic hopeful who survived a near-fatal 2002 crash during a practice run in Switzerland at age 21. But when he talks about survivor's guilt, he's not talking about...
Vincent Jackson Died
of 'Chronic Alcohol Use'
Dec 23, 2021 2:20 AM CST
Vincent Jackson Died of 'Chronic Alcohol Use'
The NFL 'gentle giant' was found dead in February at age 38
- Vincent Jackson, the former NFL wide receiver found dead at age 38 in a hotel room in February , died of "chronic alcohol use," his autopsy found. The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers player had a blood-alcohol content of 0.28% when he died, and his family says they believe...
'Gentle Giant' Found Dead in
Hotel Room Had CTE: Family
Dec 17, 2021 7:35 AM CST
'Gentle Giant' Found Dead in Hotel Room Had CTE: Family
Vincent Jackson's loved ones have donated his brain to Boston University
The former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver found dead in a Florida hotel room in February had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, his family announced Thursday, per NBC News . Vincent Jackson, who died at the age of 38, had stage 2 CTE, widow Lindsey Jackson said in a statement....
Former NFL Player Who
Killed 6 Had Severe CTE
Dec 14, 2021 11:32 AM CST
Former NFL Player Who Killed 6 Had Severe CTE
Family says Phillip Adams was 'desperately seeking help from the NFL'
- A former NFL player who went on a murderous rampage, killing six people and himself , had stage 2 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, better known as CTE. That's according to Boston University's Dr. Ann McKee, who examined Phillip Adams' brain tissue and found it was in a similar condition as...
Found Dead After
Sep 3, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
Ex-WCW Wrestler Found Dead After Alarming Video
Daffney Unger said she wanted her brain studied for CTE
- Former World Championship Wrestling star Daffney Unger has died of an apparent suicide after posting alarming videos on Instagram Live, which appeared to show her with a gun. Unger, whose real name was Shannon Spruill, appeared to be speaking her final words in the videos shared late Wednesday, in which...
Former Player With
CTE Symptoms Dies at 49
Jul 11, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
Former Player With CTE Symptoms Dies at 49
Greg Clark's quarterback, Steve Young, calls the loss devastating
- Greg Clark, who played four seasons at a tight end for the San Francisco 49ers—capped by catching two touchdown passes from Steve Young in a 1998 wild-card victory—has died. He was 49. His family released a statement saying his death was unexpected,
reports, though it says he...
Scientists Will Determine
If Phillip Adams Had CTE
Apr 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Scientists Will Determine If Phillip Adams Had CTE
Family agrees to allow former NFL player's brain to be tested in wake of SC killings
- The question of whether former NFL player Phillip Adams suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy will eventually be answered. The 32-year-old killed five people in Rock Hill, South Carolina, on Wednesday, and York County Coroner Sabrina Gast on Friday said that Adams' family had agreed to allow his brain to be...
'Miracle on Ice' Player
Found Unfit to Stand Trial
Oct 29, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
'Miracle on Ice' Player Found Unfit to Stand Trial
Mark Pavelich's family blames NHL head injuries
- Mark Pavelich, a member of the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" US hockey team, attacked a neighbor after a fishing trip in August, authorities say—but he will not be standing trial for the assault any time soon. At a court hearing in Minnesota on Monday, Judge Michael Cuzzo suspended...
Super Bowl MVP Charged
With Domestic Violence
Jul 1, 2019 11:16 AM CDT
Super Bowl MVP Charged With Domestic Violence
Former Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien is accused
- Former Super Bowl hero Mark Rypien has been arrested in Washington state on suspicion of domestic violence, per the AP . Police say Rypien faces a charge of fourth-degree assault. The 56-year-old was processed at the Spokane County Jail around 6:30pm Sunday and was awaiting a court appearance Monday. Rypien...
He Made His Living as an NHL
Fighter. Now, the Lawsuit
May 7, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
He Made His Living as an NHL Fighter. Now, the Lawsuit
Widow of Todd Ewen sues league, says CTE led to her husband's suicide
- Todd Ewen was the classic NHL "enforcer" during his 11 seasons in the league. Translation: He "fought in almost every one of his games," writes Nicolas Pollock in the
. The sad footnote: Ewen committed suicide in 2015 at age 49. His widow, Kelli, blames the NHL,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.