Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected'
Move on Gay Marriage
Nov 16, 2022 8:40 AM CST
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected' Move on Gay Marriage
Church will get behind legislation on same-sex marriage, as long as religious rights are protected
- Federal legislation designed to protect gay marriage rights has a somewhat surprising new supporter: the Mormon church. On Tuesday, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it will get behind the bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act , after senators worked out an amendment that would protect how religious groups...
Aug 31, 2022 6:23 PM CDT
Court Rejects Lawsuit From Teacher Fired by Archdiocese
Joshua Payne-Elliott was dismissed for being in a same-sex marriage
: The Indiana Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled against a teacher trying to sue the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis over his dismissal for being in a same-sex marriage. The ruling says religious institutions have a First Amendment right to decide church issues, the AP reports. "We fear for...
He Voted Against
Gay Son's Wedding
Jul 26, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
He Voted Against Gay Marriage, Then Attended Gay Son's Wedding
Rep. Glenn Thompson voted against the Respect for Marriage Act
- Rep. Glenn Thompson voted against the Respect for Marriage Act, the House bill that would codify gay marriage as a federally protected right, on Tuesday—just three days before attending the wedding of his gay son. Through his press secretary, Thompson, a Republican from Pennsylvania, had told the
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas
Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Jun 24, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Justice says Supreme Court should reconsider decisions on contraception, same-sex couplings
- Roe v. Wade has been officially overturned by the US Supreme Court, eliminating federal protections for abortion rights that have been in place for nearly 50 years, but a solo concurring opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas is also getting attention. In his writing, Thomas notes that, based on the reversal...
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to
a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Jun 20, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Colorado Gov. Pays Tribute to a 'Woman Ahead of Her Time'
Clela Rorex issued first same-sex marriage licenses in 1975
- Clela Rorex, a former Colorado county clerk considered a pioneer in the gay rights movement for being the first public official to issue a same-sex marriage license in 1975, has died. She was 78. Rorex died Sunday of complications from recent surgery at a hospice care facility in Longmont, the...
Jun 3, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Outrage Follows Graduation Speaker's Marriage Remarks
He urged Ohio high school students to follow 'Biblical principles'
- A public school district in Ohio says it will be "reviewing its processes" after a graduation speaker urged students to avoid same-sex marriages. "Choose a spouse, I suggest. I also strongly suggest to make sure to choose Biblical principles, you know, a male with a female and female...
Mar 19, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Judge Rules Clerk Violated Same-Sex Couples' Rights
A jury will decide on damages in Kentucky case
: A federal judge has ruled that former County Clerk Kim Davis violated the constitutional rights of same-sex couples by refusing to issue marriage licenses to them. US District Judge David Bunning ruled Friday that Davis "made a conscious decision" to violate the rights of two couples who then...
Plaintiff in Landmark Lawsuit
Is Running for Office
Jan 18, 2022 4:24 PM CST
Plaintiff in Landmark Lawsuit Is Running for Office
Jim Obergefell's case led to decision that legalized gay marriage in all 50 states
- The lead plaintiff in the case that legalized gay marriage nationwide is planning to follow up
Obergefell v. Hodges
with Obergefell v. Swearingen in a run for office in Ohio. Jim Obergefell, described by
as having "rock star status in LGBTQ communities," confirmed Tuesday that he...
After 8 Years, Battle Between
Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Nov 19, 2021 2:14 AM CST
After 8 Years, Battle Between Florist, Gay Couple Is Over
Barronelle Stutzman settles for $5K, retires
- A florist in Washington state who was in an eight-year legal battle that reached the US Supreme Court will retire after settling with the same-sex couple whose wedding job she refused . Barronelle Stutzman of Richland, Washington, announced the settlement Thursday, saying she has paid $5,000 to Robert Ingersoll, the...
I Was Wrong
on Gay Marriage
Sep 27, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Liz Cheney: I Was Wrong on Gay Marriage
And younger sister Mary is 'proud' of the about-face
Mary Cheney says she is proud of older sister Liz after the latter's about-face on same-sex marriage. "It took a ton of courage to admit that she was wrong back in 2013 when she opposed marriage equality,” wrote Mary, who is gay and married, on Facebook...
Sep 4, 2021 1:54 PM CDT
Thousands Demand Same-Sex Marriage
Only civil unions are legal in Switzerland now
- Tens of thousands protested in Switzerland on Saturday for the legalization of same-sex marriage in the Alpine country. The protests came ahead of a national referendum Sept. 26 on the legalization of gay marriage, which has already been introduced in European countries including Germany, Austria, France , and the Netherlands, the...
Gave Quite a Speech
Nov 13, 2020 10:29 AM CST
Samuel Alito Gave Quite a Speech
Supreme Court justice worries about religious freedoms, pandemic restrictions, gay marriage
- Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito gave a 30-minute speech via video to conservative lawyers with the Federalist Society on Thursday, and his comments on issues ranging from religious freedom to gay marriage to COVID restrictions were getting lots of attention on Friday. The details:
Alito stressed that he didn'
A Film That Premiered Today
Holds Big Statement From Pope
Oct 21, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
A Film That Premiered Today Holds Big Statement From Pope
In it, Francis endorses same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope
- Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pope while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary
, which had its premiere at the Rome Film Festival on Wednesday. The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment,...
As a Congressman,
He Fought LGBT
a Big Reveal
Mar 6, 2020 11:55 AM CST
As a Congressman, He Fought LGBT Rights. Now, a Big Reveal
'I am gay,' announced ex-GOP Rep. Aaron Schock of Illinois
- A GOP congressman from Illinois who resigned in 2015 amid charges of defrauding the government voted against same-sex marriage and other LGBT-positive laws during his four-term tenure. Which is why Aaron Schock's Thursday announcement on social media was shocking. "I am gay," he wrote on Instagram and...
Mar 3, 2020 2:51 AM CST
Putin Wants Constitution to Ban Same-Sex Marriage
He proposes amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman
- Like George W. Bush before him, Vladimir Putin is supporting a constitutional amendment to define marriage as being between a man and a woman. Unlike the American leader, the Russian president is highly likely to see the amendment become the law of the land. Russian lawmakers said Monday that Putin'...
Hallmark Reinstates Ads
With Same-Sex Couples
Dec 16, 2019 4:16 AM CST
Hallmark Reinstates Ads With Same-Sex Couples
Company is 'truly sorry' for 'wrong decision'
- The Hallmark Channel, reversing what it called a "wrong decision," said Sunday it will reinstate commercials featuring same-sex couples that it had pulled following a complaint from a conservative group . The earlier decision by Crown Media, the Hallmark Channel's parent company, to pull several ads for the...
Chick-fil-A Halts Donations
to 3 Christian Charities
Nov 19, 2019 3:06 AM CST
Chick-fil-A Halts Donations to 3 Christian Charities
Chain moves away from anti-gay marriage groups
- Chick-fil-A is ending donations to three groups that oppose gay marriage in an effort to halt protests and broaden its customer base. But the move has angered some of the fast food chain's fans. The Atlanta-based company said Monday that starting next year, it will focus its giving on...
Chick-fil-A Just Opened
First UK Restaurant.
It's Already Closing
Oct 21, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Chick-fil-A Just Opened First UK Restaurant. It's Already Closing
The Chick-fil-A in Reading is shutting down after protests related to LGBTQ+ issues
- On Oct. 10, the first-ever Chick-fil-A in the UK opened its doors. On Oct. 18 , the announcement was made that it would not be staying there. After the US fast food chain opened a branch in the English town of Reading, the LGBTQ+ advocacy group Reading Pride started organizing protests...
in Methodist LGBT Vote
Feb 27, 2019 3:03 AM CST
Conservatives Prevail in Methodist LGBT Vote
Church will strengthen ban on same-sex marriage
- The United Methodist Church, America's second-largest Protestant denomination, faces a likely surge in defections and acts of defiance after delegates at a crucial conference voted Tuesday to strengthen the faith's divisive bans on same-sex marriage and ordination of LGBT clergy. Emotions were high throughout the third and final...
Governor to Kim Davis: You're
Great, but You May Owe $225K
Jan 31, 2019 1:19 PM CST
Governor to Kim Davis: You're Great, but You May Owe $225K
Battle over who must pay legal fees in gay marriage fight plays out in Kentucky court
- Kim Davis became the most famous county clerk in the nation a few years ago when she refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples in Kentucky. Current Gov. Matt Bevin considers Davis, who is no longer in the job, an "inspiration" for what she did. In court, however,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.