Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Yellowstone National Park
Stories 1 - 20 |
13 Yellowstone Bison
Killed in Road Accident
Dec 31, 2022 11:32 AM CST
13 Yellowstone Bison Killed in Road Accident
Authorities say a semi struck the animals on a highway just outside the park
- Thirteen bison from Yellowstone National Park were killed after being struck by a semi-truck, reports NBC Montana . The animals were apparently on or near a highway just outside the park—probably because of deep snow inside the park—when the truck hit them after dark on Wednesday, per the AP...
Owner of Foot Found in
Yellowstone Hot Spring ID'd
Nov 18, 2022 8:35 AM CST
Owner of Foot Found in Yellowstone Hot Spring ID'd
Il Hun Ro of Los Angeles died in 'unwitnessed incident' at Abyss Pool in July
- The partial foot found in a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park in mid-August belonged to a 70-year-old man who is believed to have died weeks earlier. Il Hun Ro of Los Angeles was identified in the last three weeks using DNA analysis, park officials said Thursday, per Fox News...
There's an Investigation
Into the Killing of Wolf 1233
Sep 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
There's an Investigation Into the Killing of Wolf 1233
'Intercept' looks at allegations a Yellowstone ranger improperly hunted a wolf
- Hunters killed a record 25 Yellowstone wolves last season , a figure that represents one-fifth of the park's wolf population and is more than double the previous high of a decade ago. As a deep dive at the Intercept explains, newly relaxed rules on hunters instituted by Montana Gov. Greg...
Woman, 71, Gored
by Bison in Yellowstone
Jun 30, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Woman, 71, Gored by Bison in Yellowstone
It's the second such attack this week in the park
: Another visitor to Yellowstone National Park has been gored by a bison. Park officials said a 71-year-old woman and her daughter inadvertently approached the bison Wednesday on their way back to their vehicle at a Yellowstone Lake trailhead. The woman, who is from West Chester, Pennsylvania, was taken to...
License Plate Entry Rule
Jun 30, 2022 3:34 PM CDT
Yellowstone Suspending License Plate Entry Rule
Park will reopen northern loop ahead of big holiday weekend as it recovers from floods
Yellowstone National Park is reopening its flood-damaged north loop at noon on Saturday, in time for the Fourth of July holiday weekend, park Superintendent Cam Sholly said Thursday. The loop is reopening nearly three weeks after massive flooding forced thousands to flee the park as water, rocks, and mud...
As Floods Devastate
Governor Is AWOL
Jun 17, 2022 6:52 AM CDT
As Floods Devastate Yellowstone, Montana Governor Is AWOL
Greg Gianforte was on a 'long-scheduled personal trip'
- Yellowstone and other areas in Montana have been devastated by recent floods , while the governor of the state has been conspicuously absent. Amid a slew of criticism, Gov. Greg Gianforte's office said he was returning home Thursday night from a "long-scheduled personal trip" out of the country, which...
Yellowstone: 'This Is a
Jun 15, 2022 6:23 AM CDT
Yellowstone: 'This Is a Thousand-Year Event'
Yellowstone to remain closed for a week after devastating floods
- Following days of massive flooding and mudslides , Yellowstone National Park will remain closed to visitors for about a week—and part of the park is likely closed until late October or early November. Park officials called the days of heavy rain and melting snow "unprecedented," with the superintendent...
Massacre Leader's Name
Jun 14, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Yellowstone Dumps Massacre Leader's Name
Gustavus Doane of Mount Doane boasted of slaughtering Native Americans, including children
- The name of a man who led a massacre of at least 173 Native Americans, including women and children suffering from smallpox, has been scrubbed from a peak in Yellowstone National Park. The 10,551-foot Mount Doane was named for Army officer and explorer Gustavus Doane, who ordered the 1870...
Yellowstone Closes After
Flooding Washes Out Roads
Jun 13, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Yellowstone Closes After Flooding Washes Out Roads
Gates to park are shut through Wednesday, at least
- Massive floodwaters ravaged Yellowstone National Park and nearby communities Monday, washing out roads and bridges, cutting off electricity, and forcing visitors to evacuate parts of the iconic park at the height of summer tourist season. All entrances to Yellowstone were closed due to the deluge, caused by heavy rains and...
She Got Within 10 Feet
of Yellowstone Bison,
With Horrifying End
Jun 1, 2022 8:34 AM CDT
She Got Within 10 Feet of Yellowstone Bison, With Horrifying End
Ohio woman gored and tossed Monday has died of her injuries
- A woman got far too close to a Yellowstone bison this week. "Consequently, the bison gored the woman and tossed her 10 feet into the air," park officials say in a release . The unnamed 25-year-old woman from Grove City, Ohio, died of her injuries, said to include a...
Yellowstone Ranger: I've Seen
Forrest Fenn's Treasure Spot
in case you missed it
May 8, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Yellowstone Ranger: I've Seen Forrest Fenn's Treasure Spot
Exact location could be revealed through lawsuit proceedings
- At least two living people know where the late Forrest Fenn hid his treasure: the man who found it and the chief ranger of Yellowstone National Park. Ranger Sarah Davis has admitted that Fenn and Jack Stuef , the 30-something medical student who found Fenn's treasure in the summer of...
Yellowstone Offers Passes
That Become Valid in 2172
Apr 4, 2022 6:05 PM CDT
Yellowstone Offers Passes That Become Valid in 2172
In the meantime, the $1.5K donation will support park projects
- As Yellowstone National Park celebrates its 150th anniversary year, the park's fundraising arm is seeking $1,500 donations in exchange for an annual entry pass that can be used by carloads of the donor's descendants to visit the park in 150 years. Yellowstone Forever will use the money...
of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
Jan 7, 2022 2:00 AM CST
'Extraordinary Number' of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
20 roamed from the park in recent months and were shot
- Twenty of Yellowstone National Park's renowned gray wolves roamed from the park and were shot by hunters in recent months—the most killed by hunting in a single season since the predators were reintroduced to the region more than 25 years ago, according to park officials. Fifteen wolves were...
Fenn Treasure Hunter
Must Pay for His Rescue
Nov 10, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Fenn Treasure Hunter Must Pay for His Rescue
Appeals court pans Mark Lantis' ill-advised 2018 hunt in Yellowstone
- A man who went in search of Forrest Fenn's famous treasure not only failed to find it but will now have to pay nearly $3,000—the cost of his airlift out of Yellowstone National Park. Wyoming's Mark Lantis—one of thousands enthralled by Fenn's hidden chest,...
Woman Charged by Grizzly
in Yellowstone Gets Jail
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 10, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
Woman Charged by Grizzly in Yellowstone Gets Jail
Samantha Dehring could have been mauled, prosecutor says
An Illinois tourist spotted taking photos of a grizzly bear and her cubs pleaded guilty to willfully being within 100 yards of wildlife and will spend four days in jail. She's also barred from Yellowstone National Park for a year. Samantha Dehring told the court she regrets putting...
Woman Rushes After Dog
Into Yellowstone Hot Spring
Oct 6, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Woman Rushes After Dog Into Yellowstone Hot Spring
She suffered serious burns in incident that happened Monday at the national park
- Trying to save your dog from a bad situation is noble—but, in the case of one 20-year-old woman, foolish. CNN reports the Washington state woman suffered significant thermal burns after attempting to rescue her dog from a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park on Monday. The woman and her...
Former Navy SEAL Is
Missing in Yellowstone
Sep 22, 2021 6:17 PM CDT
Former Navy SEAL Is Missing in Yellowstone
Conservationist Kim Crumbo's half brother was found dead Monday
- Kim Crumbo is not short on survival skills—the 74-year-old Utah resident is a former Navy SEAL who spent two decades working as a National Park Service ranger after leaving the military—but he has been missing in Yellowstone National Park for days, and family members are very worried. The...
Wyoming Says It's Time to
Lift Grizzly Bear Protections
Sep 17, 2021 8:28 AM CDT
Wyoming Says It's Time to Lift Grizzly Bear Protections
State is applying to have species delisted in Yellowstone region
- Wyoming is taking another shot at bringing back the grizzly bear hunt. Gov. Mark Gordon, calling it a "wonderful day of celebration, not only for the grizzly bear but for Wyoming," announced Thursday that the state will seek the lifting of federal protections for the bears in the...
Jail Is 'Better Than
a Burn Unit'
Aug 27, 2021 9:22 AM CDT
Prosecutor in Yellowstone Case: Jail Is 'Better Than a Burn Unit'
Tourist sentenced to 7 days for walking on thermal feature
- Leaving the boardwalk in Yellowstone National Park's thermal areas can get you killed—or, if you survive, fined and jailed. A 26-year-old Connecticut woman who walked directly on thermal features during a visit to the Wyoming park last month has been sentenced to a week in jail, plus $2,...
Grizzly Bear Found Decapitated,
Declawed in Yellowstone River
Jul 4, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Grizzly Bear Found Decapitated, Declawed in Yellowstone River
The bears are protected and it's illegal to possess any part of them
- Grizzly bear 394 had a long life. He was 25 when he washed up on the banks of the Yellowstone River in Montana, and thin from age at almost 600 pounds. He was tagged in Wyoming and relocated to Yellowstone National Park where he lived an uneventful life, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.