Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
That Washed Up on
Aussie Beach Identified
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 5, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Mystery Object That Washed Up on Aussie Beach Identified
Australian Space Agency says it's space junk from Indian rocket; India's space group needs to confirm
- The mystery of a giant metal object that washed up on an Australian beach may finally be solved. Phys.org reports that when the "bulky, barnacle-encrusted cylinder" turned up in mid-July on the shores of Green Head, located north of Perth in Western Australia, whispers circulated that it could...
NASA Flags Area Where
Retired Spacecraft Came Down
Apr 20, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
NASA Flags Area Where Retired Spacecraft Came Down
The RHESSI's time in space is done
- NASA's retired Reuven Ramaty High Energy Solar Spectroscopic Imager (RHESSI) spacecraft fell back to Earth slightly ahead of schedule and, ostensibly, without incident. NASA said Thursday that the Department of Defense confirmed the RHESSI reentered Earth’s atmosphere over the Sahara Desert at 8:21pm Wednesday. Gizmodo reports, by...
Scientists: Trash Mess
in Space Mirrors
Problem in Oceans
Mar 25, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Scientists: Trash Mess in Space Mirrors Problem in Oceans
Cleanup effort must start with a binding global treaty, experts say
- There have been calls to action to clean up the trash in the world's oceans, and now researchers are warning of the urgency to do the same thing in space. The efforts are more similar than they might sound,
reports. "As a marine biologist I never imagined...
For 2nd Time This Year,
ISS Dodges Space Junk
Oct 26, 2022 11:42 AM CDT
For 2nd Time This Year, ISS Dodges Space Junk
Debris is from Russian missile test that was condemned as 'reckless'
- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station conducted a "pre-determined debris avoidance maneuver" Monday night to steer clear of a piece of space junk. Per NPR , the station fired its thrusters for five minutes and five seconds, increasing its altitude by 0.2 miles to 0.8 miles (depending on...
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 7:08 AM CDT
'Alien Obelisk' Actually Fell From Space
Piece likely jettisoned from SpaceX Dragon capsule fell in southern Australia last month
- From a distance, Mick Miners thought the strange object on his expansive sheep farm in Australia might have been a blackened dead tree. Experts say it's actually something far more exciting: a 9-foot-long chunk of a SpaceX capsule—one of the few pieces of space debris to fall to...
Uncontrolled Chinese Rocket
Comes Down in Indian Ocean
Jul 30, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Uncontrolled Chinese Rocket Comes Down in Indian Ocean
For the 3rd year in a row, Long March rocket body made uncontrolled reentry
: An uncontrolled Chinese rocket is back from space, after reentering the Earth's atmosphere over the Indian Ocean. US Space Command said it happened at 12:45pm EDT Saturday. The Chinese Manned Space Agency said most of the rocket debris burned up over the Sulu Sea, which is between...
It'll Look Like
Mar 2, 2022 9:54 AM CST
Here's What It'll Look Like When Rocket Crashes Into Moon
Moon dust to fly hundreds of miles from impact crater, which is expected to be quite large
- The moon is about to get walloped by 3 tons of space junk, a punch that will carve out a crater that could fit several semitractor-trailers. A leftover rocket will smash into the far side of the moon at 5,800mph on Friday, away from telescopes' prying eyes, the AP...
Space Force Says
Jan 6, 2022 5:46 AM CST
Space Force Says Out-of-Control Rocket Made Re-Entry
Russian space debris came down over Pacific
: An out-of-control Russian rocket stage that failed to stay in orbit has made it back to Earth, apparently without causing damage or injuries. The US Space Force's 18th Space Control Squadron, which tracks space debris, tweeted Wednesday that it had confirmed that the Persei booster from the Angara-A...
ISS Takes Unexpected Ride
in 'Wake-Up Call for Mankind'
Dec 3, 2021 7:10 AM CST
ISS Takes Unexpected Ride in 'Wake-Up Call for Mankind'
International Space Station was forced to drop 1K feet to avoid collision with space junk
- Astronauts on the International Space Station took a 1,000-foot plunge on Friday after a piece of decades-old space junk threatened to collide with them. Dmitry Rogozin, who heads up Russia's Roscosmos space agency, says the unscheduled three-minute "evasion maneuver" was set in motion due to space debris,...
China's Rocket Debris Set
for Uncontrolled Re-Entry
May 4, 2021 9:05 PM CDT
China's Rocket Debris Set for Uncontrolled Re-Entry
21-ton Long March rocket core will crash at an unknown location within days
- Last week's launch of the Tianhe space station module was a great leap forward for China's space program—but the Long March 5B rocket used for the launch could cause some major problems back on Earth. The 21-ton core of the rocket is now orbiting Earth and slowly...
Space Station Rids
Itself of 2.9 Tons of Trash
Mar 17, 2021 11:21 AM CDT
Space Station Rids Itself of 2.9 Tons of Trash
A pallet of used batteries will fall to Earth ... eventually
- Last Thursday was apparently garbage day at the International Space Station, which rid itself of a 2.9-ton pallet of used nickel-hydrogen batteries. It's the biggest mass of space junk the ISS has unleashed, and NASA wrote that the pallet is "safely moving away from the station and...
On the Horizon:
a Satellite Made of Wood?
Dec 29, 2020 8:56 AM CST
On the Horizon: a Satellite Made of Wood?
Japan hopes project will cut down on space debris
- When satellites burn up in the atmosphere, they don't entirely disappear. Tiny pieces of aluminium remain, contributing to an increasing mass of space junk. According to Daniel Oltrogge, director at the Center for Space Standards and Innovation, there are an estimated 760,000 objects larger than a centimeter (0....
I Don't Think
It's an Asteroid
Oct 11, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
NASA Expert: That Asteroid? I Don't Think It's an Asteroid
Paul Chodas looks closely at that thing headed our way
- The jig may be up for an "asteroid" that's expected to get nabbed by Earth's gravity and become a mini moon next month, the AP reports. Instead of a cosmic rock, the newly discovered object appears to be an old rocket from a failed moon-landing mission 54...
Could Be a Big Deal
May 24, 2019 8:43 AM CDT
SpaceX's Latest Launch Could Be a Big Deal
Elon Musk's company sends 60 satellites into orbit, and lots more will follow
- SpaceX launched its heaviest load yet into space Thursday night—60 separate satellites weighing 500 pounds apiece, reports CNN . And if everything goes according to plan, Elon Musk's company will launch hundreds and perhaps thousands more such satellites, all part of an ambitious system called Starlink designed to beam...
Our Space Junk Problem
Is Only Getting Worse
Apr 21, 2017 8:00 AM CDT
Our Space Junk Problem Is Only Getting Worse
First mission is planned to reduce debris, but it could backfire
- Decades' worth of man-made junk is cluttering up Earth's orbit, posing a threat to spaceflight and the satellites we rely on for weather reports, air travel, and global communications. More than 750,000 fragments larger than a centimeter are already thought to orbit Earth, and each one could badly...
Japan to Smack
Space Junk With
Dec 12, 2016 8:54 AM CST
Japan to Smack Space Junk With 2.3K-Foot Whip
If all goes well, a 6-mile tether could follow
- Can a whip as long as six football fields destroy some of the 500,000 pieces of space junk spinning around Earth at 17,500 miles per hour? Japan's space agency sure hopes so. JAXA launched its Kounotori 6 spacecraft on Friday with tons of supplies bound for the...
Adopt a Piece of Space Junk,
Get Its Tweets as It Flies By
Nov 27, 2016 8:33 AM CST
Adopt a Piece of Space Junk, Get Its Tweets as It Flies By
Nearly 30K objects larger than 10cm are currently in orbit
- The jury may be out on intelligent extraterrestrial life, but this we know: We are not alone. At least, we are surrounded by our own junk. In an effort to raise awareness about the dangers of the hundreds of millions of pieces of debris currently orbiting planet Earth, an interactive...
Weather Officials Explain Fireball in Western Sky
Jul 28, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
Weather Officials Explain Fireball in Western Sky
Thank the Chinese for this 'space junk'
- A fireball in the sky Wednesday night led to a firestorm online and over the phone lines, CBS Los Angeles reports, with California residents up and down the coast—as well as in Las Vegas and as far away as Utah—reporting the odd celestial phenomenon. The light flashes, captured...
Jan 7, 2016 6:15 PM CST
Mysterious Space Balls Crash Land in Vietnam
'If they were launching a rocket, where’s the rest of it?'
- Vietnam is being bombarded with space balls, and we aren't talking about a rerelease of the 1987 Mel Brooks classic. The CBC reports three metal balls—weighing a half-pound, 13 pounds, and about 99 pounds respectively—crash-landed in two Vietnamese provinces over the weekend. One of the balls—the...
Video Reveals How Fast
We've Amassed Space Junk
Dec 31, 2015 8:35 AM CST
Video Reveals How Fast We've Amassed Space Junk
In just 60 years, Earth has become surrounded by 500K pieces of debris
- More than 500,000 known objects are orbiting planet Earth, and around 20,000 of them are at least as big as a softball, reports NASA . Now a University College London professor has used data from space-track.org to create a video to help us visualize how quickly that space...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.