Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Takes Land Fight to
Sep 30, 2023 12:50 PM CDT
Onondaga Nation Takes Land Fight to International Panel
Case seeks return of some New York territory sold in 1788, a claim once rejected by President Washington
- The Onondaga Nation has protested for centuries that illegal land grabs shrank its territory from what was once thousands of square miles in upstate New York to a relatively paltry patch of land south of Syracuse. It took its case to President George Washington, to Congress and, more recently, to...
Reparations Suit Over
Tulsa Race Massacre
Jul 9, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
Judge Dismisses Reparations Suit Over Tulsa Race Massacre
Order says city's arguments were persuasive
- A judge has rejected a lawsuit seeking reparations for the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, a case brought on behalf of three survivors of the attack, all over 100 years old. Judge Caroline Wall on Friday dismissed with prejudice the suit trying to force the City of Tulsa and others to...
Group Calculates Climate
Reparations for Oil Companies
Jun 4, 2023 1:15 PM CDT
Group Calculates Climate Reparations for Oil Companies
World's top companies would owe $209B a year, according to One Earth analysis
- The top 21 fossil fuel companies are responsible for 36% of global emissions since 1988, according to a new study , which concludes BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, and others should collectively pay at least $209 billion annually in climate reparations. Talk of who should pay climate reparations typically falls to the level...
Missouri Rep Announces
$14T Reparations Bill
May 18, 2023 12:49 AM CDT
Missouri Rep Announces $14T Reparations Bill
Reparations efforts are gaining traction, but the idea remains widely unpopular
- Legislation introduced by Rep. Cori Bush calls for $14 trillion in reparations to Black Americans. The Missouri Democrat says the legacy of chattel slavery and the discriminatory policies, systems, and laws that came after continues to affect "millions of Black people" today, citing the worse health outcomes and infant...
Proposal Includes $5M
for Every Black Adult
Mar 15, 2023 4:24 PM CDT
SF Reparations Proposal Includes $5M for Every Black Adult
Draft plan also includes homes for $1
- Payments of $5 million to every eligible Black adult, the elimination of personal debt and tax burdens, guaranteed annual incomes of at least $97,000 for 250 years, and homes in San Francisco for just $1 a family. These were some of the more than 100 recommendations made by a...
Poland's Fight With Germany
Over Reparations Turns Nasty
Jan 5, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Poland's Fight With Germany Over Reparations Turns Nasty
'Disrespectful' Germany aims to 'treat Poland as a vassal state,' Polish minister claims
- Poland is appealing to the United Nations for help in securing $1.4 trillion in war reparations from Germany, which describes the issue of reparations over its World War II invasion and occupation of the country as closed. Germany's latest response to Poland's request— issued last year following...
Poland Wants Huge War
Reparations From Germany
Sep 1, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Poland Wants Huge War Reparations From Germany
Government to seek $1.3T, but Germany says the matter is long closed
- Poland will seek the equivalent of some $1.3 trillion in reparations from Germany for the Nazis' World War II invasion and occupation of the country. Jaroslaw Kaczynski, leader of the ruling Law and Justice party, announced the huge claim at the release of a long-awaited report on the cost...
California Task Force:
Reparations Must Be Made
Jun 2, 2022 12:43 AM CDT
California Task Force: Reparations Must Be Made
500-page report is hailed as a historic moment
- On Wednesday, a California task force released a 500-page report, two years in the making, on the state's historic role in harming Black Americans, from the days of slavery until now—and called for reparations to be made. California is now the first state to have moved forward with...
Calif. Reparations Task Force:
Not All Blacks Are Eligible
Mar 30, 2022 12:56 PM CDT
Calif. Reparations Task Force: Not All Blacks Are Eligible
Group votes to limit reparations to slave descendants
- California’s first-in-the-nation task force on reparations voted Tuesday to limit state compensation to the descendants of free and enslaved Black people who were in the US in the 19th century, narrowly rejecting a proposal to include all Black people. The vote was split 5-4, with those favoring a lineage...
Iraq Is Done Paying
Reparations to Kuwait
Feb 10, 2022 8:49 AM CST
Iraq Is Done Paying Reparations to Kuwait
It paid out $52B over 3 decades
- Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, and its forces were ousted by 1991. In the more than 30 years since, it has been paying reparations to Kuwait, a process that has finally officially finished. The UN commission set up to review the compensation demands and obtain and pay out the money...
White Woman on 40-Day
Hunger Strike Over Reparations
Jun 18, 2021 12:12 PM CDT
White Woman on 40-Day Hunger Strike Over Reparations
'My silence has allowed the systemic racism to continue,' says Rachelle Zola of Chicago
- Chicago resident Rachelle Zola believes so strongly in slavery reparations that she's willing to die for them. Did we mention she's a 73-year-old white woman who didn't have a Black friend until 2015? "Am I willing to die for my brothers and my sisters when there'...
Slave Owner's Descendant
Jun 1, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Slave Owner's Descendant Pays Reparations
Louisville nonprofit receives 6-figure check
- A Louisville nonprofit that helps marginalized people has received a six-figure reparations check from the descendant of a slave-holder. "It is a blessing for us but also definitely owed," says Taylor Ryan, executive director of Change Today, Change Tomorrow. The donation was so unexpected that the organization first...
Denver Addresses 'Wrongs
of the Past' With a Gift of Bison
Apr 15, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Denver Addresses 'Wrongs of the Past' With a Gift of Bison
Parks department is giving surplus bison to indigenous tribes over 10 years
- The city of Denver was in the game of selling bison. But in a new move, it's opting to gift bison to indigenous tribes across the country as a form of reparations. Denver Parks and Recreation keeps two bison herds descended from a small number of Yellowstone bison, and...
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Vote Establishes Commission on Slavery Reparations
House Judiciary Committee advances bill HR 40
- A House panel advanced a decades-long effort to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves by approving legislation Wednesday that would create a commission to study the issue. It's the first time the House Judiciary Committee has acted on the legislation, per the AP . Still, prospects for final passage...
in a US First
Mar 23, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
City Launches Reparations in a US First
Evanston program addresses housing discrimination
- The nation's first government reparations program has been approved, with a promise to distribute $10 million over the next decade to Black residents who suffered housing discrimination or their descendants. The City Council of Evanston, just north of Chicago, voted 8-1 Monday to implement the program,
Jesuits Promise $100M
for Slavery Reparations
Mar 16, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Jesuits Promise $100M for Slavery Reparations
Trust will benefit descendants of enslaved people, including those sold by Jesuits in 1838
- The Catholic order of Jesuit priests has pledged to raise $100 million for descendants of the enslaved people it owned in what the
New York Times
reports is "one of the largest efforts by an institution to atone for slavery." The order relied on slave labor and sales...
City Nears First Reparations
Mar 11, 2021 6:05 PM CST
City Nears First Reparations
Payments would amount to $25K per person, intended for housing
- An Illinois city has planned its first reparations to Black residents: $25,000 for housing assistance. The money will go to all Black people who lived in Evanston before 1969 and endured discriminatory housing practices by governments and banks, or who are descended from a Black resident who did, the...
LA County Wants to Right
'Terrible Wrong' Done to
Black Family in 1924
Mar 8, 2021 1:27 PM CST
LA County Wants to Right 'Terrible Wrong' Done to Black Family in 1924
Family was forced to give up beachfront land
- Los Angeles county officials may return a beachfront property that was seized from a Black family nearly a century ago. Manhattan Beach used eminent domain in 1924 to force Willa and Charles Bruce, the city's first Black landowners, off the land where they lived. The couple also ran a...
California Opens the
Door to Reparations
Oct 1, 2020 12:48 AM CDT
California Opens the Door to Reparations
Gov. Gavin Newsom signs law to create a task force
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday signed a law that is the first step toward the state potentially paying reparations to Black residents. The law calls for the creation of a nine-member task force to make recommendations as to how such reparations could be made, particularly to descendants of slaves,...
Sep 3, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Lawsuit Filed Over Century-Old 'Massacre in Slow Motion'
105-year-old leads plaintiffs in demanding reparations for destroying 'Black Wall Street'
- Lessie Benningfield "Mother" Randle was just a child when the Greenwood area of Tulsa, Okla., (aka "Black Wall Street") was attacked by a white mob and burned down in the spring of 1921, killing an estimated 300 Black Americans. Now a lawsuit led by Randle, 105—who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.