Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It May Be the Biggest
Upset in World Cup History
Nov 22, 2022 7:10 AM CST
It May Be the Biggest Upset in World Cup History
Saudi Arabia stuns Argentina and Lionel Messi
- Sportswriters are running out of superlatives to describe Saudi Arabia's upset victory over powerhouse Argentina in the World Cup on Tuesday. CNBC calls the 2-1 win by the Saudis "one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history." The
New York Times
sees the loss for Argentina'...
Miss Argentina Marries
Miss Puerto Rico
Nov 3, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Miss Argentina Marries Miss Puerto Rico
Beauty queens Mariana Varela, Fabiola Valentin dated secretly before tying the knot Friday
- Mariana Varela and Fabiola Valentin were rivals at the 2020 Miss Grand International competition, as representatives of Argentina and Puerto Rico, respectively. But the beauty queens remained close after finishing in the top 10. Very, very close . As the pair revealed Thursday, they've not only been secretly dating but...
Someone Tried to
VP. Many Don't
Sep 16, 2022 11:54 AM CDT
Someone Tried to Kill Argentina's VP. Many Don't Believe It
Conspiracy theories abound amid probe into assassination attempt on Cristina Fernandez
- At least three people have been arrested over the assassination attempt against Argentina Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner earlier this month, and the investigation is ongoing, but some now think that probe may be a wild goose chase of sorts. As the
New York Times
frames it: "A...
Cause of Mysterious
Pneumonia Cluster Found
Sep 5, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Cause of Mysterious Pneumonia Cluster Found
Argentina outbreak was initially feared to be possible new pathogen
- The cause of a mysterious cluster of pneumonia cases in northwest Argentina has been identified as legionella, the bacteria that causes Legionnaire's disease, reports CNN . The Pan American Health Organization said in a statement that Argentina's health ministry has confirmed legionella as the cause of the outbreak in...
Argentina Suffers Its 'Most
Serious Incident' Since 1983
Sep 2, 2022 1:22 AM CDT
Argentina Suffers Its 'Most Serious Incident' Since 1983
Man attempts to assassinate Vice President Cristina Fernández
- A man tried to kill Argentina's politically powerful Vice President Cristina Fernández outside her home, but the handgun misfired, the country's president said. The man was quickly overpowered by her security officers in the incident Thursday night, officials said. President Alberto Fernández, who is not related...
'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Aug 31, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Shipwreck's Story 'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Tree ring data suggests it's the Dolphin, which was lost in 1859
- "For me, the story is there in the tree rings." That's the takeaway of a dendrochronologist—an expert in dating events and artifacts from tree rings—who was part of a team that used tree ring data from a shipwreck found in Argentina in 2004 to determine...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
Medical Team Faces
Homicide Trial in
Diego Maradona's Death
Jun 23, 2022 4:07 AM CDT
Medical Team Faces Homicide Trial in Diego Maradona's Death
They allegedly acted in 'reckless manner' while soccer legend recovered from surgery
- Eight people, including doctors and nurses, who cared for soccer legend Diego Maradona before his death in 2020 , will stand trial for homicide because of alleged criminal negligence, authorities in Argentina say. The 60-year-old died while recovering from brain surgery and while an autopsy found he died from natural causes,...
7 Hospitalized After
Co-Worker Brings Brownies
May 27, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
7 Hospitalized After Co-Worker Brings Brownies
Man is fired and arrested after colleagues fall ill at call center in Argentina
- Employees at a call center in Argentina began Monday morning with chocolate brownies, brought to work by a colleague. One woman stopped after one bite, Vice reports, saying the brownie didn't taste right. That bite was enough to cause problems. "My body stopped responding, I stopped feeling my...
Kills 20, Sickens 74
Feb 3, 2022 4:08 AM CST
Tainted Cocaine Kills 20, Sickens 74
Authorities in Argentina suspect batch was deliberately poisoned
- Apparently adulterated cocaine killed 20 people and seriously sickened 74 others in Buenos Aires, health officials said early Thursday as authorities searched frantically for the remainder of the deadly batch to get it off the streets before it is consumed. Experts are still analyzing the drug to determine what was...
Random Internet User
Buys Google Domain for $3
Apr 23, 2021 3:34 AM CDT
Random Internet User Buys Google Domain for $3
Argentinian version of site was down for several hours Wednesday
- The Argentinian version of Google went offline for a few hours this week after the domain was bought by an Internet user for less than $3. Nicolas Kuroña tweeted Wednesday night that he saw the domain google.com.ar for sale and legally bought it when he visited the...
Argentine Leader Has COVID,
Despite Russian Vaccine
Apr 5, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Argentine Leader Has COVID, Despite Russian Vaccine
But Alberto Fernández's case is mild because of the vaccination, says his doctor
- Argentina's president has become the latest world leader to test positive for COVID, but Alberto Fernández's case comes with a twist. Fernández was vaccinated in January, reports CNN . The 62-year-old received Russia's Sputnik V vaccine, and he was fine until a mild headache and a...
Father to Daughter:
'Do You Think I'm a Monster?'
Mar 28, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Father to Daughter: 'Do You Think I'm a Monster?'
Children of those who committed atrocities in Argentina cope with the legacy
- The atrocities committed by the military regime that ruled Argentina from 1976 to 1983 have been well documented, with an estimated 30,000 people "disappeared" during the stretch that has come to be known as the Dirty War . Now, the children of that generation are increasingly speaking out to...
They Tried to
Age Beer on a
Sunken Ship. The
Mar 2, 2021 9:20 AM CST
They Tried to Age Beer on a Sunken Ship. The Barrels Vanished
A 'deep-water beermaking' experiment gone wrong off the coast of Argentina
- Craft beer is getting ... weird. And the weirder the better, it seems, after thieves made off with or otherwise liberated nearly 200 gallons of ale being aged in a sunken ship off Argentina. The theft took place near Mar del Plata, where three local breweries and a diving school had...
This Is Liquid Gold
Jan 7, 2021 1:13 PM CST
For Some COVID Patients, This Is Liquid Gold
Convalescent plasma reduces risk of severe illness in small study
- The FDA gave "investigational" approval for COVID-19 patients to receive blood plasma from recovered patients in the spring, then expanded that approval in the summer. Now results from a clinical trial are in, and they "conclusively point toward … beneficial effects" if administered early on, reports the
It's a Historic Day in Argentina
Dec 30, 2020 7:21 AM CST
It's a Historic Day in Argentina
Senate approves bill legalizing abortion until up to 14 weeks of pregnancy
- As of Tuesday, abortion was illegal in Argentina except in cases of rape or where the health of the woman was at risk. A person seeking an abortion in the Catholic-majority country for any other reason could've face up to 15 years in jail. But that changed early Wednesday....
Maradona Fans, Police Clash
Nov 26, 2020 5:35 PM CST
Maradona Fans, Police Clash
Violence cuts short public visitation for soccer giant
- Tens of thousands of fans, many weeping, filed past the coffin of soccer superstar Diego Maradona on Thursday in Buenos Aires, in ceremonies that mixed head-of-state-like honors with the chaos of a rowdy stadium. Viewing was halted shortly before 6pm as the family wished, and the body of the Argentine...
Dead at 60
Nov 25, 2020 12:56 PM CST
Soccer's 'Golden Boy' Dead at 60
Argentina mourns Diego Maradona, one of the all-time greats
- Diego Maradona, the Argentine soccer great who was among the best players ever and who led his country to the 1986 World Cup title before later struggling with cocaine use and obesity, has died. He was 60. Maradona died two weeks after being released from a Buenos Aires hospital following...
Soccer's 'Golden Boy' Exits
Sudden Brain Surgery
Nov 4, 2020 9:50 AM CST
Soccer's 'Golden Boy' Exits Sudden Brain Surgery
Diego Maradona recovering well as of Tuesday night
- Fans of Diego Maradona can breath a sigh of relief following news that the Argentinian soccer legend has successfully undergone surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain. The 60-year-old "Golden Boy" was hospitalized with dehydration, depression, and anemia in La Plata on Monday before an MRI revealed...
of the World'
Oct 20, 2020 4:53 PM CDT
Pandemic Reaches 'The End of the World'
Argentina now has 1M cases as disease spreads to remote areas
- At the edge of Argentina in a city known as "The End of the World," many thought they might be spared from the worst of the coronavirus pandemic. Sitting far from the South American nation's bustling capital, health workers in Ushuaia were initially able to contain a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Paramedic Tried to Save Crash Victim, Later Learned It Was Her Girl
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
King's Secret Code Is Broken 500 Years Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.