Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Stories 1 - 20 |
Priest Charged in
'Dirty War' Torture Could
Face Justice Soon
Sep 17, 2023 6:36 AM CDT
Priest Charged in 'Dirty War' Torture Could Face Justice Soon
Franco Reverberi fled to Italy from Argentina more than a decade ago
- A Catholic priest accused of taking part in torture sessions during Argentina's "Dirty War" regularly says Mass in the small town in northern Italy where he now resides—but victims still hope to see him face justice in Argentina. Franco Reverberi left Italy for Sorbolo, the town his...
Argentina Raids Nazi Publisher
Sep 13, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Argentina Raids Nazi Publisher
Police official says operation made 'historic seizure' of material
- A publisher near Buenos Aires selling books with antisemitic content was raided and shut down on Wednesday by Argentine authorities in what one official called a "historic seizure" of Nazi material. Libreria Argentina printed and sold Nazi propaganda texts and books with images of swastikas, iron crosses, and the...
Aug 14, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
Trump Admirer Stuns in Argentina
Far-right populist Javier Milier emerges as surprise frontrunner after primary elections
- Far-right populist Javier Milei rocked Argentina's political establishment Sunday by emerging as the biggest vote-getter in primary elections to choose presidential candidates for the October general election in a nation battered by economic woes. Milei, an admirer of former President Trump who loves being compared to him, says Argentina'...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Argentina's Inflation Rate
Hits Grim Milestone
Mar 15, 2023 1:53 PM CDT
Argentina's Inflation Rate Hits Grim Milestone
It's 5th country to see annual inflation enter triple digits
- A Swiss banking giant isn't the only foreign entity having a rough week. Argentina on Tuesday announced that month-on-month inflation hit 6.6% in February, pushing its 12-month rate to 102.5%. That means the prices of many consumer goods have doubled over the course of a year, per...
World Cup Victory Parade
Gets a Little Out of Hand
Dec 21, 2022 7:39 AM CST
World Cup Victory Parade Gets a Little Out of Hand
Argentine team was airlifted off bus in Buenos Aires chaos; one fan is dead, young boy in coma
- The world is still celebrating the Argentine soccer team's World Cup win over France over the weekend, with exuberant fans scooping up Lionel Messi jerseys and celebrating on the star's Instagram page. The celebration got a little too wild in the nation's capital and elsewhere, however, leading...
A Messi Image Is Now
the King of Instagram
Dec 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
A Messi Image Is Now the King of Instagram
Celebration photo has more than 62M likes
- Lionel Messi vanquished France , and now he has vanquished the famous egg of Instagram. An image of Messi celebrating Argentina's dramatic World Cup victory had racked up more than 62 million likes as of Tuesday morning on on the soccer star's Instagram page , making it the most-liked image...
Messi, Argentina Top France
in World Cup Final for the Ages
Dec 18, 2022 3:22 PM CST
Messi, Argentina Top France in World Cup Final for the Ages
Penalty kicks decide champion after Mbappe scores hat trick in losing cause
- In what analysts are calling one of the most exciting finals in World Cup history, highlighted by exceptional performances by the teams' biggest stars, Argentina defeated France on Sunday on penalty kicks to take soccer's championship for the third time. The shootout won 4-2 by Argentina took place after...
Argentina, France Are
Counting On These Players
Dec 17, 2022 5:10 PM CST
Argentina, France Are Counting On These Players
Teams have potential heroes beyond Messi and Mbappé
- Lionel Messi will line up for Argentina and Kylian Mbappé will be on the opposite side for France on Sunday in the World Cup final in Qatar. Messi has been there before but lost in the 2014 final to Germany. Mbappé won the 2018 title after scoring a goal against...
Argentina Brought 1,100
Pounds of This to World Cup
Dec 13, 2022 4:53 PM CST
Argentina Brought 1,100 Pounds of This to World Cup
Traditional herbal beverage is essential to many South American players
- When they took the field versus Croatia in Tuesday's semifinal World Cup match , the taste of yerba mate may have still been fresh in mouths of Argentinian players. That’s because they and many other South American players swear by the traditional herbal beverage, according to the
Messi, Argentina Celebrate
Dec 9, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Messi, Argentina Celebrate
Shootout victory sets up match Tuesday against Croatia
- Lionel Messi and his teammates hung around on the field for 20 minutes, taking turns dancing and jumping up and down in front of their celebrating, scarf-waving fans. Argentina was going to savor reaching the World Cup semifinals. Messi's quest to win soccer's ultimate prize is still alive....
Sentenced to 6 Years
in $1B Fraud Case
Dec 7, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Argentina's VP Sentenced to 6 Years in $1B Fraud Case
But Cristina Fernández's sentence isn't firm until appeals are decided
- Argentine Vice President Cristina Fernández was convicted and sentenced Tuesday to six years in prison and a lifetime ban from holding public office for a fraud scheme that embezzled $1 billion through public works projects during her presidency, the AP reports. A three-judge panel found the Peronist leader guilty...
It May Be the Biggest
Upset in World Cup History
Nov 22, 2022 7:10 AM CST
It May Be the Biggest Upset in World Cup History
Saudi Arabia stuns Argentina and Lionel Messi
- Sportswriters are running out of superlatives to describe Saudi Arabia's upset victory over powerhouse Argentina in the World Cup on Tuesday. CNBC calls the 2-1 win by the Saudis "one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history." The
New York Times
sees the loss for Argentina'...
Miss Argentina Marries
Miss Puerto Rico
Nov 3, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Miss Argentina Marries Miss Puerto Rico
Beauty queens Mariana Varela, Fabiola Valentin dated secretly before tying the knot Friday
- Mariana Varela and Fabiola Valentin were rivals at the 2020 Miss Grand International competition, as representatives of Argentina and Puerto Rico, respectively. But the beauty queens remained close after finishing in the top 10. Very, very close . As the pair revealed Thursday, they've not only been secretly dating but...
Someone Tried to
VP. Many Don't
Sep 16, 2022 11:54 AM CDT
Someone Tried to Kill Argentina's VP. Many Don't Believe It
Conspiracy theories abound amid probe into assassination attempt on Cristina Fernandez
- At least three people have been arrested over the assassination attempt against Argentina Vice President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner earlier this month, and the investigation is ongoing, but some now think that probe may be a wild goose chase of sorts. As the
New York Times
frames it: "A...
Cause of Mysterious
Pneumonia Cluster Found
Sep 5, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
Cause of Mysterious Pneumonia Cluster Found
Argentina outbreak was initially feared to be possible new pathogen
- The cause of a mysterious cluster of pneumonia cases in northwest Argentina has been identified as legionella, the bacteria that causes Legionnaire's disease, reports CNN . The Pan American Health Organization said in a statement that Argentina's health ministry has confirmed legionella as the cause of the outbreak in...
Argentina Suffers Its 'Most
Serious Incident' Since 1983
Sep 2, 2022 1:22 AM CDT
Argentina Suffers Its 'Most Serious Incident' Since 1983
Man attempts to assassinate Vice President Cristina Fernández
- A man tried to kill Argentina's politically powerful Vice President Cristina Fernández outside her home, but the handgun misfired, the country's president said. The man was quickly overpowered by her security officers in the incident Thursday night, officials said. President Alberto Fernández, who is not related...
'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Aug 31, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Shipwreck's Story 'Is There in the Tree Rings'
Tree ring data suggests it's the Dolphin, which was lost in 1859
- "For me, the story is there in the tree rings." That's the takeaway of a dendrochronologist—an expert in dating events and artifacts from tree rings—who was part of a team that used tree ring data from a shipwreck found in Argentina in 2004 to determine...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
Medical Team Faces
Homicide Trial in
Diego Maradona's Death
Jun 23, 2022 4:07 AM CDT
Medical Team Faces Homicide Trial in Diego Maradona's Death
They allegedly acted in 'reckless manner' while soccer legend recovered from surgery
- Eight people, including doctors and nurses, who cared for soccer legend Diego Maradona before his death in 2020 , will stand trial for homicide because of alleged criminal negligence, authorities in Argentina say. The 60-year-old died while recovering from brain surgery and while an autopsy found he died from natural causes,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
Gunmen Open Fire on Teens, Killing 3, Over Old Grievance
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.