Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Latest Twist, Ousted CEO
to Return to OpenAI
Nov 22, 2023 12:53 AM CST
In Latest Twist, Ousted CEO to Return to OpenAI
Sam Altman will be back, ChatGPT maker says in statement
- The ousted leader of ChatGPT-maker OpenAI is returning to the company that fired him late last week, the latest in a saga that has shocked the artificial intelligence industry , the AP reports. San Francisco-based OpenAI said in a statement late Tuesday: "We have reached an agreement in principle for...
of Ousted CEO
a 'Poker Move
for the Ages'
Nov 21, 2023 10:20 AM CST
Microsoft's Hiring of Ousted CEO a 'Poker Move for the Ages'
What we know so far about the drama at OpenAI with Sam Altman
- The drama at OpenAI , the dominant company in the field of artificial intelligence, is apparently not over. The board surprised all of tech by ousting CEO Sam Altman, who was promptly hired by Microsoft. But with most OpenAI employees now threatening a mutiny over the board's actions, it's...
Quickly Find New Jobs
Nov 20, 2023 6:37 AM CST
OpenAI Founders Quickly Find New Jobs
Microsoft hires Sam Altman, Greg Brockman 'to lead a new advanced AI research team'
- Microsoft announced Monday that it has hired Sam Altman and another architect of ChatGPT maker OpenAI after they unexpectedly departed the company days earlier in a corporate shakeup that shocked the artificial intelligence world, reports the AP . Microsoft Chairman and CEO Satya Nadella tweeted that the US tech giant is...
Nov 18, 2023 9:00 AM CST
OpenAI Board Abruptly Ousts CEO Sam Altman
Says 'he was not consistently candid in his communications'; co-founder Greg Brockman quits
- In news that shook Silicon Valley on Friday, Sam Altman, the CEO of ChatGPT maker OpenAI, was abruptly fired, though no one yet knows quite why. The Verge and the AP report that the company's board of directors made the move, releasing a statement that noted a "leadership...
Microsoft Closes One of Tech's
Oct 13, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
Microsoft Closes One of Tech's Biggest Acquisitions
Company's massive $69B deal to buy 'Call of Duty' maker Activision Blizzard is approved
- Microsoft has completed its acquisition of video game-maker Activision Blizzard for $69 billion, closing one of the most expensive tech acquisitions in history that could have repercussions across the video game industry, per the AP . The notice that the deal has gone through came seven hours after Microsoft got final...
Arrest Made After Microsoft
Exec Killed in Front of His Child
Aug 17, 2023 1:40 PM CDT
Arrest Made After Microsoft Exec Killed in Front of His Child
Jared Bridegan's ex-wife, Shanna Gardner-Fernandez, is third person charged in the case
- Police have arrested a third person in the ambush-style murder of a Microsoft executive last year—his ex-wife. Shanna Gardner-Fernandez, 35, faces charges including first-degree murder, reports Fox News . Prosecutors say she helped plan the slaying of Jared Bridegan, 33, with her new husband, Mario Fernandez, who was previously arrested...
2 Tech Giants
Jul 25, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
2 Tech Giants Beat Expectations
Alphabet, Microsoft deliver strong earnings reports
- Two major tech companies delivered earnings reports after trading ended Tuesday—and both Microsoft and Alphabet, Google's parent company, beat analysts' expectations. Before the closely watched results were released, analysts said the companies would need to show strong numbers to justify the steep rise in stock prices this year....
Microsoft's $69B Activision
Deal Gets a Breather
Jul 19, 2023 10:04 AM CDT
Microsoft's $69B Activision Deal Gets a Breather
Deadline to close acquisition with game maker is extended until Oct. 18
- The deadline for Microsoft's $69 billion acquisition of video game company Activision Blizzard has been extended as the companies seek to close a deal that has been vexed by US regulators, as well as by UK's Competition and Markets Authority. Microsoft believes that pushing back the deadline to...
Microsoft Jumps 4%
After Revealing AI Pricing
Jul 18, 2023 3:57 PM CDT
Microsoft Jumps 4% After Revealing AI Pricing
Stocks hit their highest level in more than 15 months
- Wall Street's frenzy around artificial intelligence helped push stocks to their best level in more than 15 months on Tuesday, along with stronger-than-expected profit reports from several big financial companies. The S&P 500 rose 32.19, or 0.7%, to 4,554.98 and its highest finish since...
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt
$69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
Jul 11, 2023 11:13 AM CDT
Judge Rejects FTC Move to Halt $69B Microsoft-Activision Deal
With clock ticking to get the deal closed, court hands Microsoft a major victory
- A federal judge has handed Microsoft a major victory by declining to block its looming $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard. US District Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley said in a ruling that the Federal Trade Commission "has not shown a likelihood it will prevail on its...
FTC Sues to Block
Massive Tech Deal
Jun 12, 2023 5:11 PM CDT
FTC Sues to Block Massive Tech Deal
Agency seeks injunction to stop Microsoft's $69B Activision takeover
- The Federal Trade Commission has sued to block Microsoft from completing its deal to buy video game company Activision Blizzard, the latest antitrust challenge to the proposed merger but one that could hasten its conclusion. The FTC's Monday filing in a federal court in San Francisco seeks a restraining...
UK Just Nixed the Biggest
Tech Deal in History
Apr 26, 2023 8:15 AM CDT
UK Just Nixed the Biggest Tech Deal in History
Microsoft's $69B attempt to buy video game maker Activision scuttled over fears of stifling competition
- British regulators have blocked Microsoft's $69 billion deal to buy video game maker Activision Blizzard over worries that it would stifle competition in the cloud gaming market. The UK's Competition and Markets Authority said in its final report Wednesday that "the only effective remedy" to the significant...
Ads Enter Bing
to Much Confusion
Mar 30, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Ads Enter Bing Chat Responses, to Much Confusion
Tech journalists question if chatbot is now giving sponsored answers
- Microsoft is slipping more ads into the AI-powered Bing chatbot , which could add to the "already difficult cognitive load of determining whether you can trust a given response," writes Jay Peters at the Verge . Ads have been appearing within the Bing interface since its launch in February. In...
Microsoft Adds AI Tools
to Its Office Software
Mar 16, 2023 5:58 PM CDT
Microsoft Adds AI Tools to Its Office Software
Google is doing the same with its Workspace applications
- Microsoft is infusing artificial intelligence tools in its Office software, including Word, Excel, and Outlook emails. The company said Thursday the new feature, named Copilot, is a processing engine that will allow users to do tasks like summarize long emails, draft stories in Word, and animate slides in PowerPoint. Microsoft...
Another Web Browser
Bites the Dust for Good
in case you missed it
Feb 19, 2023 7:10 AM CST
Another Web Browser Bites the Dust for Good
Microsoft retires its Internet Explorer, which will now automatically redirect to Microsoft Edge
- Netscape Navigator, Ask Jeeves, and other now-defunct online entities that were inextricably linked to the mid-'90s will have to make room for one more retiree. In what CBS News calls "heartbreaking news" for devotees delivered just in time for Valentine's Day, Microsoft pulled the plug Tuesday on...
Microsoft: We're Working on
Fixes for 'Belligerent' Bing Bot
Feb 18, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Microsoft: We're Working on Fixes for 'Belligerent' Bing Bot
Company says too many questions can 'confuse' the AI-driven search tool
- The reviews are in on the upgraded Bing search engine, now powered by artificial intelligence, and they've ... definitely been mixed. While there's been some praise for Bing's capabilities, this week saw a slew of reviewers (even some who'd initially offered that praise) alarmed at what they'...
Reviewers Are Stunned
at How Good Bing Is
Feb 9, 2023 11:07 AM CST
Reviewers Are Stunned at How Good Bing Is
Techies test the new AI search engine, which is still being rolled out
- Kevin Roose is a tech columnist for the
New York Times
, and he's as surprised as you are that he concludes his latest column like so: "I'm switching my desktop computer's default search engine to Bing. And Google, my default source of information for my entire...
Google Unveils Rival
'Bard' to ChatGPT
Feb 7, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Google Unveils Rival 'Bard' to ChatGPT
Company hopes to keep up in the AI race
- ChatGPT has been making headlines lately, but now it's going to have to share that media real estate: On Monday, Google owner Alphabet announced its new chatbot service, Bard, as well as plans to pump more artificial intelligence into its search functions and open up some of its AI...
Microsoft Added 40K Jobs
in 2022. Now, an About-Face
Jan 18, 2023 9:05 AM CST
Microsoft Added 40K Jobs in 2022. Now, an About-Face
Company on Wednesday announced 10K jobs would be cut
- Add Microsoft to the ever-growing list of tech companies announcing 4- and 5-figure layoffs. The company on Wednesday said it would lay off 10,000 employees, or roughly 5% of its 221,000-person workforce, by the quarter ending March 31, with layoffs beginning this week, reports CNBC . CEO Satya Nadella...
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's
Takeover of Activision Blizzard
Dec 8, 2022 4:15 PM CST
FTC Sues to Block Microsoft's Takeover of Activision Blizzard
But Microsoft has good shot of winning a legal challenge
- The Federal Trade Commission said Thursday it is suing to block Microsoft’s planned $69 billion takeover of video game company Activision Blizzard, saying it could suppress competitors to its Xbox game consoles and its growing games subscription business. The FTC voted 3-1 to issue the complaint after a closed-door...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.