Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Vermont Could Be Staring Down
a Decade-Long Recovery
Jul 13, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
Vermont Could Be Staring Down a Decade-Long Recovery
Flooding 'devastation is far reaching' in the state
- Vermont residents got their first good look at the devastation caused by what's purported to be the worst flooding in the state in nearly a century on Wednesday as Mother Nature offered a brief break in rain. Venturing outside of drenched homes, in some cases for the first time...
Bernie Sanders Launches
Investigation Into Amazon
Jun 21, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Launches Investigation Into Amazon
Senator is probing working conditions at the e-commerce giant
- Bernie Sanders announced Tuesday that the Senate committee he chairs has launched a probe into working conditions at Amazon's warehouses. The senator said the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, or HELP, will be looking into why Amazon is "one of the most dangerous places" to work...
Sanders Won't Challenge
Biden for Nomination
Apr 25, 2023 5:37 PM CDT
Sanders Won't Challenge Biden for Nomination
He says he'll do all he can to support president's reelection effort
- Bernie Sanders isn't going to try to beat President Biden's record as the oldest president in US history. The 81-year-old independent senator from Vermont said Tuesday that he won't seek the Democratic nomination a third time and he will do everything he can to support Biden's...
Democrats Push Ex-Boss
About Starbucks Union Fight
Mar 29, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
Democrats Push Ex-Boss About Starbucks Union Fight
Howard Schultz denies firing organizers but says conversations could have been misinterpreted
- "Over the past 18 months, Starbucks has waged the most aggressive and illegal union-busting campaign in the modern history of our country," Sen. Bernie Sanders told a committee witness on Wednesday. That's how the National Labor Relations Board sees it, lodging more unfair labor practice charges against...
Bank Collapse Quickly
Mar 13, 2023 2:09 PM CDT
Bank Collapse Quickly Becomes Political
GOP contenders weigh in as Biden praises his administration's response
- The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank and another large bank has quickly become a political issue, with 2024 GOP contenders, or presumed contenders, weighing in and casting blame. CNBC rounds some up, including an all-caps slam from former President Trump.
: "We will have a Great Depression far bigger
'You Shut Your Mouth,'
Senator Tells Teamsters Boss
Mar 10, 2023 9:13 AM CST
'You Shut Your Mouth,' Senator Tells Teamsters Boss
There was an angry clash during Senate hearing on unions
- The head of the Teamsters union had a fiery exchange with Sen. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla., at a Senate hearing Thursday, with Mullin telling Sean O'Brien to "shut your mouth" as they clashed over unions. O'Brien was a witness at the Senate Health, Labor, Education, and Pensions Committee...
Trump Gets Behind Haley's Call
Feb 21, 2023 10:25 AM CST
Trump Gets Behind Haley's Call
Former president says that anyone running for the Oval Office should have to pass mental fitness test
- The Nikki Haley-Donald Trump dynamic remains an enigma: Days after the former UN ambassador announced her presidential bid in competition with her former boss, while specifically calling out politicians older than 75 as needing a mental competency test (Trump is 76, and President Biden is 80), Trump seemingly got on...
Haley's Call for
Feb 20, 2023 8:52 AM CST
Haley's Call for 'Competency Tests' Roils Bernie Sanders
'Absurd,' senator says of Haley's suggestion that politicians over 75 have their abilities assessed
- CNN host Don Lemon has come under fire for a comment he recently made about Nikki Haley being past her "prime"—a remark made after the former South Carolina governor and current GOP presidential candidate noted she thought there should be mental "competency tests" for politicians over...
as an Issue
Jun 14, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Biden's Age Reemerges as an Issue
White House balks amid concerns about 'geriatric leadership'
- The White House is brushing off concerns that the 79-year-old president's age could affect his reelection bid as "fallacious" and not worth listening to. Asked Monday whether President Biden could handle another presidential campaign, press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told CNN , "That is not a question that we...
Says He'll Back
a Former Rival
Jun 14, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Says He'll Back a Former Rival
Senator says he won't issue a primary challenge to POTUS
- Increasingly, there have been reports of Democrats being concerned about President Biden running for re-election in 2024. But one person Biden won't have to worry about is Bernie Sanders. The senator from Vermont told CNN that while it's "a little too early" to be talking about such...
Sanders Allies Push
Ro Khanna to Be Ready
Mar 17, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Sanders Allies Push Ro Khanna to Be Ready
California lawmaker says he's more interested in the 2028 presidential race
- President Biden has said he expects to run for reelection, but much of the nation doesn't think he will. Certain Democratic governors and members of Congress aren't so sure, either, so they're starting to talk, out of earshot, about the 2024 presidential primaries, Politico reports. One possible...
Manchin Says He Won't
Vote for Build Back Better
Dec 19, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Manchin Says He Won't Vote for Build Back Better
'I just can't,' West Virginia Democrat says, possibly dooming the legislation
- There's no point in Democrats making changes to President Biden's Build Back Better legislation in hopes of winning Sen. Joe Manchin's support. The West Virginia Democrat announced Sunday that he won't vote for the bill, the Hill reports. "I cannot vote to continue with this...
Musk Posts Eyebrow-Raising
Response to Sanders Tweet
Nov 15, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Musk Posts Eyebrow-Raising Response to Sanders Tweet
Tesla CEO did not like Vermont senator's directive on taxation
- Bernie Sanders has long been known for posting online about taxing the super-rich, but a tweet over the weekend irked one of those wealth holders in particular. "We must demand that the extremely wealthy pay their fair share. Period," the Vermont senator posted on Saturday. The next morning,...
Biden Gets Frank About
Status of Spending Bill
Oct 22, 2021 7:05 AM CDT
Biden Gets Frank About Status of Spending Bill
Manchin, Sanders clashed in closed-door meeting on 'social economy' bill
- According to GovTrack 's 2020 report card, Sens. Joe Manchin and Bernie Sanders are 46 places apart on the politically right-to-left scale, with Manchin at 54 and Sanders at 100. Two senators tell Axios that the men were just as far apart during a heated closed-door meeting on the...
to Hold Up
May 20, 2021 4:45 PM CDT
Sanders Tries to Hold Up Arms Sale to Israel
Senator wants a debate, at least, before the deal goes through
- On the same day that a cease-fire was announced in the Middle East, Sen. Bernie Sanders introduced a resolution to block a $735 million arms sale to Israel. "At a moment when US-made bombs are devastating Gaza, and killing women and children, we cannot simply let another huge arms...
Bid Is Rejected
Mar 5, 2021 2:05 PM CST
Bernie Sanders' Minimum Wage Bid Is Rejected
Senator's workaround to add measure to relief bill falls short
- Sen. Bernie Sanders tried again for a $15 federal minimum wage Friday but was undercut by a handful of Democrats. On a 58-42 vote—though the final count could change—the Senate rejected an attempt to slip the minimum wage increase into President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief...
a 'Plan B' to Raise
Feb 26, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Senator Has a 'Plan B' to Raise Minimum Wage
Large corporations could face new 5% tax if pay falls below threshold
- With the door shut on raising the federal minimum wage through the COVID-19 relief bill , Democrats are looking for another route. Instead of mandating a $15 hourly wage, Sen. Ron Wyden suggests going at it another way: penalizing large corporations whose employees don't make a certain amount. The companies...
Ted Cruz Jokes About Cancun,
Mocks Mask Rules, AOC
Feb 26, 2021 2:46 PM CST
Ted Cruz Jokes About Cancun, Mocks Mask Rules, AOC
Texas senator speaks at CPAC
- Lots of people made jokes about Ted Cruz's ill-advised trip to Cancun , and on Friday, Cruz joined them. “I gotta say, Orlando is awesome! It's not as nice as Cancun, but it's nice,” Cruz said at the opening of his speech before the Conservative Political...
Mitten Merch Brings in
Big Bucks for Charity
Jan 27, 2021 4:46 PM CST
Mitten Merch Brings in Big Bucks for Charity
Bernie Sanders capitalizes on quirky memes
- About those wooly mittens that Sen. Bernie Sanders wore to the presidential inauguration, sparking endless quirky memes across social media? They've helped to raise $1.8 million in the last five days for charitable organizations in Sanders' home state of Vermont, the independent senator announced Wednesday. The sum comes...
Meme Is Now
Jan 23, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Bernie's Mittens Meme Is Now Raising Money for Charity
Senator's campaign is using viral pic on sweatshirt, with proceeds going toward Vt.'s Meals on Wheels
- The Bernie Sanders memes taking over the internet , showing him seated at President Biden's inauguration while wearing a pair of bulky artisan mittens, have now been appropriated by Sanders himself—for a good cause.
reports that the Vermont senator's campaign has snatched up the photo taken...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.