Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Newspaper Is Victim of Hate
Campaign Over Bogus Reason
Sep 21, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Newspaper Is Victim of Hate Campaign Over Bogus Reason
Online critics falsely accuse 'Las Vegas Review-Journal,' issue threats to reporter
- A Las Vegas newspaper is being viciously attacked online for its coverage of an alleged murder of a retired police chief, with critics guilty of either a misunderstanding or a deliberate attempt to mislead, per the AP . The "firehose of hatred" has led the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
Donors Pledge a Half-Billion
for Local News Operations
Sep 7, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Donors Pledge a Half-Billion for Local News Operations
Two newspapers per week are closing in US
- The MacArthur Foundation is leading a group of donors that have pledged $500 million to help the struggling local news industry, hoping to seed outlets that can make up for those that have closed or been hollowed out over the past two decades. Led by $150 million donations by the...
Police Raid Kansas Newspaper
Aug 12, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Police Raid Kansas Newspaper
Press association calls attack on 'Marion County Record' illegal and unprecedented
- Police officers and sheriff's deputies raided the offices of a Kansas newspaper on Friday, taking computers and cellphones, apparently in response to a confidential source providing documents to the paper's staff. The officers seized "everything we have," said Eric Meyer, owner and publisher of the
Jun 18, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Lara Logan's Journey to the Fringes of Media
'Atlantic' profiles the journalist who was once one of the most respected in her profession
- She was once one of the biggest and most respected names in TV journalism, the subject of flattering stories herself, such as one christening her the "War Zone It Girl" by the
New York Times
in 2005. Today, Lara Logan is too extreme even for far-right Newsmax, after doing...
Chides Journalists Who
Faulted Paper's Trans Coverage
Feb 17, 2023 1:40 AM CST
Chides Journalists Who Faulted Paper's Trans Coverage
Journalists behind Wednesday's open letter aren't pleased with the response
- Hundreds of current and former
New York Times
contributors sent an open letter Wednesday criticizing the paper's coverage of transgender issues—and the
apparently isn't having it. In an internal Thursday memo obtained by the Hill , executive editor Joe Kahn faulted the letter for containing "direct...
British Man's False Teeth Story
Fails the Reality Check
Feb 27, 2022 4:15 PM CST
British Man's False Teeth Story Fails the Reality Check
This bizarre, funny story may serve best as a lesson in good journalism
- In early February, the story of Paul Bishop’s false teeth swept the British media and much of the globe. Nobody could resist the story. It offers humor, mystery, and the reassurance that there are diligent, honorable lab technicians looking out for us. The story also makes for catchy headlines....
Do You Know Who This Man Is?
SLC Reporter Didn't (Hilariously)
Sep 25, 2021 1:22 PM CDT
Do You Know Who This Man Is? SLC Reporter Didn't (Hilariously)
Jordan Clarkson patiently spelled his name on camera for man-on-street interview
- Reporters are usually pretty hip to what’s going on in the cities they cover. That said, not everyone is into sports. Not everyone would recognize a famous NBA star and Sixth Man of the Year, even if they spoke with him. And asked him his name. And how to...
German Reporter Suspended
For Smearing Mud on Clothes
Jul 25, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
German Reporter Suspended For Smearing Mud on Clothes
Susanna Ohlen apologized, said she'd been ashamed her clothes were clean
- A German reporter has been suspended from her TV station after smearing herself with mud before broadcasting from a flooded town. Susanna Ohlen, who works for RTL’s
Good Morning Germany
program, said she had been helping with clean-up efforts in the days preceding the broadcast but felt ashamed...
, Hong Kong's
Pro-Democracy Paper, Dies
Jun 23, 2021 1:28 PM CDT
, Hong Kong's Pro-Democracy Paper, Dies
Its employees arrested and assets frozen, the 26-year-old news outlet ends its run
, Hong Kong’s main pro-democracy paper, is shutting down. Its founder, Jimmy Lai, is in jail, and several other top-level editors were arrested last week. But the killing blow was when the government froze its assets—about $2.3 million, the AP reports. The arrests and freezing of...
1619 Project Creator Makes
Decision on Teaching Job
Jun 23, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
1619 Project Creator Makes Decision on Teaching Job
Nikole Hannah-Jones cites 'political interference,' won't teach at UNC-Chapel Hill without tenure
- Nikole Hannah-Jones is to teach two courses at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill's journalism school this fall. But she won't be in class unless she gets tenure, according to a letter submitted by the 1619 Project creator's legal team. Others appointed to the Knight Chair in...
One of Reporters' Best Sources
Is Their Biggest Critic
Jun 21, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
One of Reporters' Best Sources Is Their Biggest Critic
Tucker Carlson loves giving the inside scoop to journalists, writes Ben Smith
- Tucker Carlson is always going after journalists, the group he has described as "cringing animals who are not worthy of respect." But in his latest media column for the
New York Times
, Ben Smith writes about what he calls one of DC's "open secrets"—Carlson...
We Might Be Looking at Issue
of Local News Backward
Jun 14, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
We Might Be Looking at Issue of Local News Backward
Jack Shafer makes the case that it's a problem with demand, not supply
- You've no doubt heard the lament about the death of local news throughout the country and the potentially dire consequences that might result. Local governments operating with no accountability, for instance. Generally, the blame is laid upon on greedy publishers focused on the bottom line or online behemoths such...
Hedge Fund Takes Tribune,
Giving It $278M in Debt
May 26, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
Hedge Fund Takes Tribune, Giving It $278M in Debt
Alden had said it had enough cash for the deal
- Alden Global Capital closed its deal for Tribune on Monday. The hedge fund wasted little time installing new leadership and saddling the newspaper chain with $278 million in debt it took on for the acquisition, according to regulatory filings. Alden, which owns the MediaNews Group newspaper chain and is the...
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed
Obama at 11 Dies at 23
May 15, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Kid Reporter Who Interviewed Obama at 11 Dies at 23
Damon Weaver was on his way to a journalism career
- Getting to tell the president what you want in your school lunch is a dream come true for a kid. And landing an interview with a sitting president is a dream come true for a young reporter. Damon Weaver did both at the same time in 2009 , when he was...
President Ordered to Pay
Damages to Journalist
Mar 28, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
President Ordered to Pay Damages to Journalist
Bolsonaro 'damaged the honor' of the reporter
- A Brazilian judge has ordered that country’s leader to compensate a journalist, saying that comments made by President Jair Bolsonaro had “damaged the honor of the complainant, causing moral damage,” AFP reports. The March 16 decision calls for Bolsonaro to pay Patricia Campos Mello, a reporter for...
Chris Cuomo Hears About
Not Covering His Brother
Mar 2, 2021 12:08 PM CST
Chris Cuomo Hears About Not Covering His Brother
CNN anchor has covered the governor before but now says he can't
- The Cuomo who's a CNN anchor obviously can't cover the barrage of accusations facing the Cuomo who's governor of New York. That would be wrong, commentators agreed on social media. But, they wondered, why has it been right until now? "Obviously, I am aware of what...
Get 2 Years
Feb 18, 2021 1:36 PM CST
For Filming Protest, They Get 2 Years in Prison
2 journalists jailed in Belarus
- Two journalists in Belarus were convicted Thursday of violating public order and sentenced to two years in prison after they covered a protest against authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko , per the AP . Katsiaryna Bakhvalava, 27, and Daria Chultsova, 23, both of the Polish-funded Belsat TV channel, were arrested in November after...
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job.
Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
in case you missed it
Jan 23, 2021 3:35 PM CST
TV Anchor Quit for Harvard Job. Then She Noticed 'Anomalies'
Nidhi Razdan of NDTV says she fell victim to a 'sophisticated and coordinated phishing attack'
- Nidhi Razdan spent 21 years as the lead anchor of India's NDTV, which one might think would give her the chops to take on a position as an associate professor of journalism at Harvard. In fact, in June she said she was giving up her job to do that...
Saudi Crown Prince Sued
in US Court Over 2018 Murder
Oct 20, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
Saudi Crown Prince Sued in US Court Over 2018 Murder
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee says he saw the journalist as an 'existential threat'
- Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee has sued Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in US federal court over the death of the Saudi journalist. Hatice Cengiz, along with the human rights organization founded by Khashoggi, allege in the suit that Khashoggi's torture, death, and dismemberment came at the "directive of...
Woody Allen Takes
a Swing at His
May 30, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Woody Allen Takes a Swing at His Son's Work
The filmmaker calls Farrow's reporting 'shoddy'
- With Ronan Farrow on the ropes, his dad is taking a shot of his own. "People are beginning to realize that it isn't just in relation to me that his journalism has been kind of shoddy," Woody Allen tells the
. "And I'm not so...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.