Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Drug-Smuggling Plot Goes
Awry for Flight Attendant
in case you missed it
Dec 31, 2022 4:50 PM CST
Drug-Smuggling Plot Goes Awry for Flight Attendant
Terese White admits taping 3 lbs. to her abdomen, a tiny fraction of total fentanyl seized in US in 2022
- A flight attendant pleaded guilty last week to drug trafficking charges after being busted with 3 pounds of fentanyl taped to her body in San Diego International Airport. Per the
San Diego Union-Tribune ,
Terese L. White, 41, entered her plea in a San Diego federal courtroom. White is from Dallas,...
How the US Blew It
Dec 12, 2022 1:18 PM CST
How the US Blew It on Fentanyl
'Washington Post' investigation spreads the blame over multiple administrations
- Fentanyl overdoses kill about 196 Americans every day, “the equivalent of a fully loaded Boeing 757-200 crashing and killing everyone on board,” according to the
Washington Post ,
which on Monday published an extensive and damning report on the federal government’s failure to stem the flow of a...
Nov 22, 2022 4:34 PM CST
Belgium Has an Unusual Drug Problem
Authorities are seizing so much cocaine their incinerators can't handle the load
- Authorities at Belgium's port of Antwerp have gotten so good at intercepting smuggled cocaine that it's led to an unexpected problem: Their incinerators can't burn it all fast enough. And as AFP explains, that has led to a related problem: There's so much seized cocaine lying...
of Open War'
Nov 2, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
In Ecuador, a 'Declaration of Open War'
Murders of 5 police officers on Tuesday attributed to criminal gangs
- Five police officers were killed in the Ecuadorian city of Guayaquil on Tuesday, including two shot dead in their patrol car, in what some say is evidence of "criminal rule," per the
. Officials described nine attacks in the city in apparent response to the transfer of hundreds...
Border Patrol Found More Than
Pulp Inside These Pumpkins
Oct 15, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Border Patrol Found More Than Pulp Inside These Pumpkins
Officials discovered $400K worth of meth in gourds arriving from Mexico
- Last week, more than $300,000 worth of methamphetamine was uncovered at Texas' Eagle Pass Port of Entry, across from Piedras Negras in Mexico. This week, drug smugglers got a little more creative with their meth stash: cramming it into four condom-filled pumpkins, reports NBC News . A release from Customs...
For Spanish Police,
a Drug-Smuggling First
Jul 6, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
For Spanish Police, a Drug-Smuggling First
Cops say they seized 3 underwater drones meant to carry 'large quantities of cocaine'
- A probe that lasted more than a year has led to the arrest of eight and the seizure of three underwater drones that were apparently built to smuggle drugs across the Strait of Gibraltar. The BBC reports Spain's police force seized the unmanned submersibles—one completed and two still...
Feds Find First
Major Drug Tunnel
May 17, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Feds Find First Major Drug Tunnel Since 2020
It ran from Tijuana to San Diego warehouse
- The legalization of marijuana in California hasn't put the cross-border tunnel builders in the San Diego area out of business, but the highly sophisticated tunnels are now being used for different drugs, federal authorities say. The latest tunnel to be detected ran 1,744 feet from a property in...
Death of Diver Led Cops
to Staggering Cocaine Haul
May 10, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Death of Diver Led Cops to Staggering Cocaine Haul
Australian police fear drugs from total shipment worth $84M have already reached the public
- The death of a diver on the side of a coastal river in Australia led authorities to at least 220 pounds of cocaine—and that's apparently just the tip of the white powder iceberg. A man in high-end diving equipment was found unconscious near the Hunter River in Newcastle,...
Half a Ton of Cocaine
Found in Coffee Shipment
May 6, 2022 9:33 AM CDT
Half a Ton of Cocaine Found in Coffee Shipment
Nespresso says drug hasn't contaminated its coffee pods
- After more than half a ton of cocaine was found among a shipment of coffee beans at a Nespresso plant, the company reassured customers that its coffee pods would not provide a bigger jolt than customers were used to. "The substance in question did not come into contact with...
Singapore Decides This
Disabled Man Must Hang
Mar 29, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Singapore Decides This Disabled Man Must Hang
Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam, whose IQ is 69, loses final appeal over drug smuggling
- A Malaysian man with a mental disability lost a final legal appeal Tuesday against his death sentence in Singapore and faces execution soon, a lawyer and rights activists said. Nagaenthran K. Dharmalingam has been on death row for more than a decade for trying to smuggle less than 1.5...
Syria's Biggest Export
May Surprise You
Dec 6, 2021 3:09 PM CST
Syria's Biggest Export May Surprise You
'New York Times' alleges that Syria is a 'narcostate' pumping out amphetamine captagon
- Last week, Syrian authorities trumpeted the seizure of a large cache of illegal amphetamine pills known as captagon and said an investigation was underway to figure out where the pills came from, notes the AP . Now, an investigation by the
New York Times
may provide the answer: The Syrian government...
Man to Be Hanged for Bringing
Bundles of Pot Into Singapore
Oct 12, 2021 5:23 PM CDT
Man to Be Hanged for Bringing Bundles of Pot Into Singapore
Appeal that centered on claiming confession was coerced was dismissed Tuesday
- A man in Singapore is going to be hanged for bringing three bundles of cannabis into the country. Omar Yacob Bamadhaj, 41, lost an appeal Tuesday of a sentence handed down in February. In July 2018, Bamadhaj had hopped across the border from the tiny city-state into Malaysia to run...
For This Former Olympian,
It's a Trip to Prison
Jul 27, 2021 11:53 AM CDT
For This Former Olympian, It's a Trip to Prison
Australia's Nathan Baggaley sentenced to 25 years for 2018 cocaine-smuggling plot
- A two-time Olympic silver medalist and three-time world kayaking champion has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in a failed $150 million cocaine-smuggling plot. Australia's Nathan Baggaley, 45, and his brother Dru, 39, were convicted in April of attempting to smuggle 650 kilograms of cocaine...
Smugglers' Cocaine Disguise
Doesn't Fool Cops
Jul 15, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Smugglers' Cocaine Disguise Doesn't Fool Cops
Haul was altered to look like charcoal
- Police in the Netherlands and Ireland were very keen to talk to the owners of two containers that arrived in Rotterdam weeks ago—but they never showed up to collect them. Inside the abandoned containers, which were destined for Ireland, was a huge shipment of cocaine disguised as charcoal, CNN...
Biologist Counting Turtles
Finds These Instead
Jun 14, 2021 2:39 PM CDT
Biologist Counting Turtles Finds These Instead
Bundles of cocaine wash up at Space Force base near Cape Canaveral
- Florida, a place that has long had a reputation for strange goings-on, can add a tale of smugglers, sea turtles, a million dollars in drugs, and Space Force to its collection. A few weeks ago, Angy Chambers, a wildlife manager surveying sea turtle nests near Cape Canaveral found something besides...
Bundles of Drugs Keep
Washing Up in South Florida
May 24, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Bundles of Drugs Keep Washing Up in South Florida
People continue to find cocaine, marijuana on Sunshine State's beaches, especially in the Keys
- Last month, a beachgoer in Palm Beach stumbled upon 65 pounds of cocaine along the shoreline, a find worth $1.5 million. But that hasn't been an isolated incident in South Florida, where people continue to discover packages of drugs in the water and on local beaches, especially in...
'Scuba Steve' Sentenced
in Drug Smuggling Case
Mar 3, 2021 3:23 PM CST
'Scuba Steve' Sentenced in Drug Smuggling Case
Canadian man was found in river unconscious, tethered to 185 pounds of pot
- A Canadian man who was found unconscious and tethered to 185 pounds of marijuana in the Detroit River was sentenced Wednesday to about six years in a US prison. The capture of Glen Mousseau—nicknamed "Scuba Steve" by authorities—last June capped a strange few weeks in his dealings...
That Sugary Frosting
Was Cocaine: Customs
Feb 20, 2021 4:15 PM CST
That Sugary Frosting Was Cocaine: Customs
Agents seize shipment of corn flakes worth nearly $3M
- It's not often that anyone talks about the street value of corn flakes. But Customs and Border Patrol officers said they intercepted a shipment of cereal last week whose secret ingredient was cocaine. The 44 pounds of corn flakes had a street value of just under $3 million, Cincinnati....
5 Kinds of Drugs Found in
San Diego Smuggling Tunnel
Apr 1, 2020 8:04 AM CDT
5 Kinds of Drugs Found in San Diego Smuggling Tunnel
Tunnel from Tijuana had its own rail system
- Authorities in San Diego have found another cross-border smuggling tunnel long enough to rival the only subway portion of the city's transit system—along with a lot more drugs than usual. Federal agents say they found drugs worth almost $30 million in the 2,000-foot tunnel, which connected warehouses...
Authorities Stunned by
Border Smuggling Tunnel
Jan 30, 2020 6:50 AM CST
Authorities Stunned by Border Smuggling Tunnel
It is the longest ever found
- US authorities on Wednesday announced the discovery of the longest smuggling tunnel ever found on the Southwest border, stretching more than three-quarters of a mile from an industrial site in Tijuana, Mexico, to the San Diego area. The tunnel featured an extensive rail cart system, forced air ventilation, high voltage...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
As Police Kicked and Beat Him, He Kept Yelling Out One Thing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.