Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cat Travels 7K Miles to Reunite
With Ukrainian Girl in US
Oct 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cat Travels 7K Miles to Reunite With Ukrainian Girl in US
Arsenii was transported by motorcycle, car, and plane to get back to Agnessa, 10, now in Calif.
- When Maria Bezhenar and her family fled Odesa, Ukraine, in February as Russian forces invaded their homeland, they were forced to leave behind some "precious belongings," per KHON2 . Among those items: their family pets, including their cat, Arsenii. The family of six—Bezhenar, her mother, her husband Aleksander,...
Oct 25, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Here's Proof Your Cat Is Listening to You
Study finds that felines recognize and respond to their owner's voice
- A new study should make cat owners happy—it suggests felines do indeed listen to their humans. The research published in
found that cats can distinguish their owner's voice from that of a stranger, one of the first studies to do so, reports
Cat Who Vanished
9 Years Ago
Turns Up 1K Miles
Oct 8, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Cat Who Vanished 9 Years Ago Turns Up 1K Miles From Home
Calif. owner has no idea how Harriet ended up in Idaho
- A cat who disappeared from her California home nine years ago has been found, but no one has a clue what she's been doing for nearly a decade, nor how she ended up wandering the streets of a small Idaho city more than 1,000 miles away. The
Here We Go
the 'Furries in
Oct 5, 2022 7:55 AM CDT
Here We Go Again With the 'Furries in Schools' Rumors
Heidi Ganahl, GOP candidate for governor in Colo., is spreading the largely debunked claim
- Heidi Ganahl really doesn't like furries, explained by KRDO as a "subculture that often involves people dressing up as anthropomorphic animal characters and attending conventions." So much so that the GOP candidate for governor in Colorado says she moved her kids out of one district and into...
Confrontation Over a Cat
Leads to Murder Charges
Sep 29, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Confrontation Over a Cat Leads to Murder Charges
Hannah Star Esser, 20, is accused of fatally hitting man with car after she says he tried to run over cat
- A California woman has been charged with killing a man by ramming her car into him after accusing him of trying to run over a cat in the street, authorities said Wednesday. Hannah Star Esser, 20, has been charged with murder in the death of 43-year-old Victor Anthony Luis, per...
Polish Institute Labels Cats
'Invasive Alien Species'
Jul 26, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
Polish Institute Labels Cats 'Invasive Alien Species'
Biologist Wojciech Solarz defends move spurred by bird deaths
- A Polish scientific institute has classified domestic cats as an "invasive alien species," citing the damage they cause to birds and other wildlife. Some cat lovers have reacted emotionally to this month's decision and put the key scientist behind it on the defensive. Wojciech Solarz, a biologist...
Rowdy's 3-Week Adventure in
Boston Airport Has Ended
Jul 16, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Rowdy's 3-Week Adventure in Boston Airport Has Ended
Cat missing after escaping from her carrier on June 24 after her flight's arrival from Germany is found
- Rowdy the cat has had quite the summer so far. First she traveled on a plane from Germany to the United States, after her family decided to move back to the US after more than 15 years abroad. Then, in a more unplanned adventure, the 4-year-old feline spent nearly three...
47 Cats Found in Car
During Extreme Heat
Jun 20, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
47 Cats Found in Car During Extreme Heat
Owner had been living with them in vehicle for 'some time,' Animal Humane Society says
- This is National Adopt a Cat Month, and the Animal Humane Society in Minnesota has 47 new arrivals that will need new homes. The AHS says the felines were rescued from a vehicle during extreme heat last week, WCCO reports.The society says it was contacted by the Chisago County...
Mar 29, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Neb. Lawmaker Apologizes for Believing 'Ugly Rumor'
State Sen. Bruce Bostelman believed claim schools were putting out litter boxes for 'furry' students
- School custodians probably wouldn't want to add "empty litter boxes" to their daily to-do list, and luckily they don't have to—because students using litter boxes in school is not an actual thing. One Nebraska lawmaker is finally acknowledging that, and offering a public apology, after spreading...
Would-Be Cat Rescuer
Needs His Own Rescue
Mar 8, 2022 8:05 AM CST
Would-Be Cat Rescuer Needs His Own Rescue
Firefighters bring down teen from high tree, and the cat was brought down later
- A teenager who scaled a tree at an Indianapolis park to rescue a cat he spotted high up in the branches ended up stuck himself and in need of a rescue, officials said. The 17-year-old boy was at Holliday Park on Indianapolis' north side Saturday afternoon when he saw the...
Has a First Cat
Jan 28, 2022 7:40 AM CST
America Now Has a First Cat
Willow joins Commander, the Bidens' German shepherd puppy, in the White House
- Commander has a new friend in the White House. Last month, President Biden and wife Dr. Jill Biden adopted the German shepherd puppy and brought him to DC. Now he's got a feline companion. The Bidens welcomed a 2-year-old gray-and-white tabby named Willow to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. on Wednesday,...
In This City,
Dozens of Fires
Dec 31, 2021 1:30 PM CST
In This City, Unlikely Suspects Have Started Dozens of Fires
Cats are being blamed for 100-plus blazes in Seoul homes over the past 3 years
- It's not unusual to hear about a young child starting a house fire after playing with matches or a lighter. In South Korea, however, one city is plagued by a different type of accidental arsonist. Seoul Metropolitan Fire & Disaster Headquarters reports that for the past three years—from...
Cats May Have a
More 'Profound Mind'
Than We Thought
in case you missed it
Nov 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Cats May Have a More 'Profound Mind' Than We Thought
Research shows cats track their owners' movements around the house
- If you've ever sensed that your aloof cat, who appears to ignore you, nevertheless seems to know just where you are at all times, you may be onto something. A new study out of Japan shows that cats may actually track their owners as they move around the house,...
Woman Catches Most Deadly
Form of Plague From Her Cats
Sep 21, 2021 12:03 PM CDT
Woman Catches Most Deadly Form of Plague From Her Cats
Pneumonic plague rarely occurs in humans; her case is severe
- A woman in Wyoming has come down with pneumonic plague, the most severe form of plague and the only one that can pass from person to person, which she likely caught from her cats. The state Health Department reported Wyoming's seventh human case of plague in 43 years—a...
Hundreds of Cats in UK
Die From Mystery Illness
Aug 6, 2021 3:37 AM CDT
Hundreds of Cats in UK Die From Mystery Illness
Toxic pet food could be the cause
- Authorities in Britain are looking into whether toxic cat food could be the cause of a huge surge in a rare cat iillness. The Royal Veterinary College says at least 528 cases of the blood condition feline pancytopenia have been reported to it in recent months, and around 330 of...
Binx the Cat
Found 16 Days
Jul 10, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Binx the Cat Found 16 Days After Surfside Condo Collapse
'A small piece of good news': Kitty has been reunited with family
- In what WSVN calls a "miracle" for one of the families affected by the tragedy in Surfside, Fla., a cat that lived in Champlain Towers South has been found alive, more than two weeks after the condo collapsed. "After 16 long and extremely difficult days, I'm happy...
Chance You'll Pass COVID
to a Pet Is 'Surprisingly High'
Jul 9, 2021 12:29 PM CDT
Chance You'll Pass COVID to a Pet Is 'Surprisingly High'
Cats appear to be more susceptible than dogs
- There's a "surprisingly high chance" people who contract COVID-19 will pass it on to their pets, according to the author of a yet-to-be-published study, with cats especially susceptible. Researchers searched for antibodies in 48 cats and 54 dogs from 77 households where a prior COVID-19 infection was confirmed...
2 Weird Animal Rescues
Involve a Parrot and a Cat
May 18, 2021 8:50 AM CDT
2 Weird Animal Rescues Involve a Parrot and a Cat
Just another day at the office for fire crews
- Two new entries in the annals of unusual animal rescues:
Firefighters in Florida were called to rescue a cat—not out of a tree, but from the undercarriage of a car owned by New York Giants cornerback Isaac Yiadom, per the AP . Rescue workers responded to Yiadom's
Cat Jumps From 5th Floor
of Burning Chicago Building
May 14, 2021 9:24 AM CDT
Cat Jumps From 5th Floor of Burning Chicago Building
It landed on grass, walked away, then tried to return
- It's not clear how many lives a Chicago cat has after an escape from a burning building Thursday, but it's definitely fewer than nine. The black cat jumped from the fifth floor, narrowly missed a wall on the way down, and landed on grass apparently unharmed, WGN reports....
1K Cats Descend on Chicago
to Take Down Its Rats
May 12, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
1K Cats Descend on Chicago to Take Down Its Rats
Hundreds of feral felines released by animal shelter to deal with city's rodent problem
- Chicago has a rodent problem—one so bad the city has been deemed the "rattiest city" in the nation for the last six years. One local animal shelter has been hard at work combating the issue, using a rather low-tech method: It releases hundreds of feral cats onto the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.