Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest true stories of survival on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
'3 Miracles' Saved
This Texas Hiker
Nov 15, 2023 9:45 AM CST
'3 Miracles' Saved This Texas Hiker
Jeff Hahn tells 'Texas Highways' of survival amid intense, often deadly heat
- A Texas man who spent 27 hours lost in the desert says he survived thanks to rescuers and "three miracles" that occurred before he met them. As Jeff Hahn tells
, he was hiking with his adult daughter at Big Bend Ranch State Park in...
Man Survives 5 Days
in Ravine After Crash
Sep 7, 2023 5:32 AM CDT
Man Survives 5 Days in Ravine After Crash
68-year-old Californian suffered broken back in crash
- A great-grandfather in California is lucky to be alive after his truck fell 100 feet into a ravine, leaving him stranded and too injured to move. Calvin Smith, 68, was spotted by dirt bikers in Kern County on Saturday, five days after his truck went over the side of a...
Then Woke Up
and Got Busy
Jul 28, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Worm Took 46K-Year Nap, Then Woke Up and Got Busy
It's the longest recorded period of cryptobiosis in nematodes by far
- Scientists have revived a possibly extinct microscopic worm that survived in Siberian permafrost for nearly 50,000 years. Nematodes, better known as roundworms, were found inside a fossilized squirrel burrow some 130 feet underground near Siberia's Kolyma River in 2002, per the
Wall Street Journal
. Scientists successfully resuscitated the...
Mom Briefly Survived Crash
That Stranded 4 Kids in Amazon
Jun 12, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Mom Briefly Survived Crash That Stranded 4 Kids in Amazon
Children apparently reported their mother was alive for the first 4 days or so
- More details of the 40 days that four indigenous children survived in the Amazon jungle are coming out, and one is particularly heartbreaking. After their single-engine propeller plane plane crashed in Colombia on May 1, the children's mother survived for about four days. That's according to the father...
Stranded for 5 Days,
She Survived on Bottle
of Wine, Lollipops
May 8, 2023 11:52 AM CDT
Stranded for 5 Days, She Survived on Bottle of Wine, Lollipops
Teetotaler had to drink the bottle meant for mom to survive
- "The only liquid Lillian, who doesn't drink, had with her was a bottle of wine she had bought as a gift for her mother, so that got her through," says Australia's Wodonga Police Station Sgt. Martin Torpey. As the BBC reports, so describes the tale of...
Search Pilot Thought He Saw
a Rock. Then an Arm Waved
Mar 10, 2023 10:24 AM CST
Search Pilot Thought He Saw a Rock. Then an Arm Waved
Jerry Jouret, 81, survived being stuck 6 days in a California snowbank, eating biscotti and candy
- Don't ever think you can outdrive an imminent snowstorm. That's the lesson learned by one elderly man whose car ride—meant to last just a few hours—ended up stranding him in a snowbank for almost a week. CNN reports that 81-year-old Jerry Jouret left his mountain getaway...
Cruise Passenger Found in
Gulf Was Seconds From Death
Nov 30, 2022 9:36 AM CST
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
'The survivor had about 30 seconds to a minute left'
- One of the US Coast Guard officers who helped rescue the Carnival cruise ship passenger who went overboard last Wednesday night says the 28-year-old was moments from death when he was pulled from the water. Richard Hoefle tells CBS News he estimates "the survivor had about 30 seconds to...
Man Who Lost Glasses in
Quake Found 17 Days Later
Sep 22, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
Man Who Lost Glasses in Quake Found 17 Days Later
China's Gan Yu 'said he would have died' in mountains, where he became lost: reports
- Gan Yu was working at a hydropower plant when a 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck China's Sichuan province earlier this month. Rather than flee, he stayed at his post, "saving villages downstream from being flooded," according to state news agency Xinhua . His eventual escape, it turns out,...
Gator Took His Arm, Then
He Got Lost for 3 Days
Sep 12, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
Gator Took His Arm, Then He Got Lost for 3 Days
Eric Merda of Florida lived to tell the tale
- It's one thing to get lost in a Florida swamp for three days before finding your way out. It's another for that to happen
an alligator has bitten your arm off. All of the above happened to 43-year-old Eric Merda of Sarasota, reports the
. In July,...
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea
in Floating Freezer: Report
Sep 6, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea in Floating Freezer: Report
'It was a miracle,' says Brazilian fisherman Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues
- After his boat sank, a Brazilian fisherman reportedly survived 11 days in the shark-infested Atlantic Ocean by taking refuge inside a floating freezer. Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues departed on what was supposed to be a three-day fishing trip in early August. But off the coast of northern Brazil, his 23-foot-long wooden...
'Verged on the
Aug 4, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
After Capsizing, Sailor's Survival 'Verged on the Impossible'
He managed to make it the 16 hours until he was rescued
- A French sailor was rescued in the rough Atlantic on Tuesday after spending 16 hours in his capsized sailboat. The 62-year-old, who'd set sail on his 40-foot vessel from Lisbon on Sunday morning, was 14 miles from the Sisargas Islands off Spain's northwestern Galicia region when he sent...
They Survived an Avalanche,
Then Had to Survive the Night
Jul 29, 2022 8:42 AM CDT
They Survived an Avalanche, Then Had to Survive the Night
2 climbers in New Zealand's Remarkables mountain range built a snow cave
- Two climbers were caught in an avalanche on a mountain in New Zealand—and that was just the start of their troubles. The 20-something males were finishing up a three-day climbing adventure in the Remarkables mountain range when they awoke Tuesday to find their tent buried in fresh snow, per...
Man Survives 18 Hours in
Sea Thanks to Lost Toy
Jul 15, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Man Survives 18 Hours in Sea Thanks to Lost Toy
Half-inflated ball kept North Macedonia man afloat in Aegean Sea
- A North Macedonia man who was swept out to sea off the Greek island of Kassandra managed to survive for 18 hours by clinging to a small inflatable ball that happened to float toward him. The vacationer identified only as Ivan and a friend were declared missing at sea after...
Did Hibernation Help Save
a Hiker Stranded 24 Days?
Jul 10, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Did Hibernation Help Save a Hiker Stranded 24 Days?
CNET delves into the mystery of Mitsutaka Uchikoshi's survival
- "What really happened to Mitsutaka Uchikoshi on that mountain in 2006?" It's a question that set Jackson Ryan off on a quest for answers in 2019. As he writes in a lengthy piece for CNET , Ryan has been transfixed by the "why" of Uchikoshi's survival since...
'It's the Panic
That Kills You.'
So He Didn't Panic
in case you missed it
Feb 27, 2022 7:25 AM CST
'It's the Panic That Kills You.' So He Didn't Panic
Don Cavers, 77, had quite the ordeal in the Caribbean Sea
- Things went from bad to worse to oh-no for a 77-year-old man in the Caribbean Sea in December. But "it's the panic that kills you," says Canadian Don Cavers, and he managed not to panic. Cavers had flown to Colombia the month prior to buy a sailboat,...
Feb 23, 2022 10:40 AM CST
Bull Achieves 'Legend Status' After Intense 50-Mile Ordeal
He apparently survived getting swept over a New Zealand waterfall, for one thing
- A cattle farmer in New Zealand says he's preparing a welcome home party for a young bull who vanished in floodwaters earlier this month, only to turn up 50 miles away near the coast. After intense flooding on the South Island's West Coast, locals spent hours pulling dead...
Cops: Pair 'Extremely
Lucky' to Survive
Oct 18, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Cops: Pair 'Extremely Lucky' to Survive Outback Ordeal
21-year-old, 14-year-old were lost for days without water in Northern Territory before they were found
- Authorities say if you're going to wander around the Australian Outback, make sure you have plenty of water on you and some snacks, and they advise you to stay with your vehicle if you get lost. Although Shaun Emitja and Mahesh Patrick diverged from those recommendations last week, they...
Gunman 'Tortured' 11-Year-Old,
Who Outsmarted Him: Sheriff
Sep 10, 2021 9:23 AM CDT
Gunman 'Tortured' 11-Year-Old, Who Outsmarted Him: Sheriff
Girl saw family murdered, then faced an interrogation, say authorities
- A Florida couple and two children huddled together in the bathroom of their home, terrified. An intruder had just shot the woman's 62-year-old mother and the family dog, and now he was outside the door, per Fox News . Gaining entry, the intruder pulled away an 11-year-old girl before shooting...
Russian Toddler Just Fine
After 3 Nights Alone in Forest
Aug 24, 2021 3:22 PM CDT
Russian Toddler Just Fine After 3 Nights Alone in Forest
She wasn't the first hardy Russian kid to survive wandering into the woods
- It sounds a little bit like a Russian fairy tale. A Russian toddler wandered away from her 4-year-old sister, out of her family’s yard, and into a nearby forest, the BBC reports. Lyuda Kuzina, only 22 months old, had no food or water with her—what toddler does?—but...
It's 24K Years Old
Jun 8, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
It's Alive—and It's 24K Years Old
Organism revived after millennia frozen in Siberia
- Bdelloid rotifer, a microscopic multi-celled super-resilient organism, was thought to survive being frozen for as long as 10 years. Turns out that was a slight understatement. Such female-only organisms are alive and well after being frozen in Siberia for 24,000 years, according to new research. The study published Monday...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.