Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Russia Started This':
Nov 24, 2023 6:02 AM CST
'Russia Started This': Finland Closes Border Crossings
Country of 5.6M accuses Russia of sending migrants without visas to its borders
- Finland says Russia is sending hundreds of migrants from African and Middle Eastern countries across its border illegally and has closed all but one border crossing in response. Finland closed four of eight land border crossings last week, but reported "organized" crossings had continued and expanded north. It now...
In the Netherlands,
'a Stunning Lurch
to the Far Right'
Nov 23, 2023 7:40 AM CST
In the Netherlands, 'a Stunning Lurch to the Far Right'
Geert Wilders' Party for Freedom won big, while 'human rights lost,' per Amnesty International
- The party of anti-Islam populist Geert Wilders won a huge general election victory in the Netherlands, according to a nearly complete vote count early Thursday that showed a stunning lurch to the far right for a nation once famed as a beacon of tolerance, per the AP . With nearly all...
UK Can't Send
Nov 15, 2023 6:21 AM CST
Top Court: UK Can't Send Asylum-Seekers to Rwanda
Supreme Court decision deals PM Rishi Sunak's policy a big blow
- Britain's Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the government's contentious plan to send some migrants on a one-way trip to Rwanda is illegal, striking a major blow to a key policy of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's government that has drawn international attention and criticism. Five justices on the...
El Salvador Slaps $1,130 Fee
on Travelers From 57 Countries
Nov 13, 2023 2:16 PM CST
El Salvador Slaps $1,130 Fee on Travelers From 57 Countries
'Airport improvement fee' is believed to be effort to help US control migration
- El Salvador's government has begun slapping a $1,130 fee on travelers from dozens of countries connecting through the nation's main airport, amid US pressure to help control migration flows to its southern border. Since the end of October, citizens of 57 largely African countries and India have...
Border Agents Can't Touch
Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Oct 31, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
Border Agents Can't Touch Texas' Barbed Wire: Judge
Temporary order includes exemption for cases likely to result in serious injury or death
- Texas won a temporary victory over the federal government Monday as a federal judge blocked Border Patrol agents from cutting through the state's barbed wire fence along the Rio Grande, meant to deter migrants from crossing into the US. Texas has spent $11 million to buy more than 70,...
After Frantically Calling
Reporter, 6 Women
Rescued From Truck
Sep 29, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
After Frantically Calling Reporter, 6 Women Rescued From Truck
The migrants say they got on thinking it was headed to UK, but it was not
- Six female migrants trapped inside a refrigerated food truck were rescued by French police after one of the women made a distress call to a reporter, the BBC and French authorities said Thursday. The women—four Vietnamese and two Iraqis—hid for hours in a truck loaded with boxes of...
Pope to Europe: There's
No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Sep 23, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Pope to Europe: There's No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Francis implores Macron, other leaders to open their doors to people fleeing hardships
- Pope Francis challenged French President Emmanuel Macron and other European leaders to open their ports to people fleeing hardship and poverty, insisting Saturday that the continent isn't facing a migration "emergency," but rather a long-term reality that governments must deal with humanely. For a second straight day...
Upset New Yorker Blares
Message to Migrants on Repeat
Sep 14, 2023 4:36 AM CDT
Upset New Yorker Blares Message to Migrants on Repeat
'Immigrants are not safe here,' loudspeaker outside shelter says in 6 languages
- A New Yorker upset that the city has been housing homeless migrants on his block has set up a loudspeaker to deliver an unwelcoming message to his new neighbors: "Immigrants are not safe here." The message, recorded in six languages, blares all day from a loudspeaker on Scott...
Texas' Floating Barrier
Staying Put (for Now)
Sep 8, 2023 12:37 AM CDT
Texas' Floating Barrier Staying Put (for Now)
Stay issued in legal challenge of Rio Grande buoys
- Texas' floating barrier isn't going anywhere, at least for now. A federal appeals court on Thursday put on hold the Wednesday ruling from a lower court that ordered the state to remove it by next week. The stay allows the barrier to stay put while the legal challenge continues,...
Adams: Migrant Crush
'Will Destroy New York City'
Sep 7, 2023 4:06 PM CDT
Adams: Migrant Crush 'Will Destroy New York City'
Deficit could near $12B, mayor says, meaning service cuts across the board
- New York City's mayor has painted a bleak and alarming portrait of the strain caused by the presence of more than 100,000 migrants his government is trying to provide for, saying there's no solution in sight. "I don't see an ending to this," Eric...
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu
Wants Immediate Deportations
Sep 3, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu Wants Immediate Deportations
Israeli prime minister calls for removing 'illegal infiltrators'
- Saying "a red line" had been crossed in a violent riot in Tel Aviv, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a move Sunday toward deporting all immigrants who aren't authorized to be in Israel. About 170 people were injured in clashes with police and fighting between supporters and opponents...
After Wall of Fire,
Greece Finds 18 Bodies
Aug 22, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
After Wall of Fire, Greece Finds 18 Bodies
They might have been migrants
- Firefighters found the bodies of 18 people while scouring the area of a major wildfire in northeastern Greece burning out of control for a fourth day Tuesday. Authorities were examining whether the group might have been migrants who entered the country through the nearby border with Turkey, per the AP...
Saudi Border Guards Accused
of Atrocities Against Migrants
Aug 21, 2023 9:02 AM CDT
Saudi Border Guards Accused of Atrocities Against Migrants
Human Rights Watch says soldiers are murdering and torturing Ethiopians
- A new Human Rights Watch report makes for grim reading about the border between Saudi Arabia and Yemen. The organization accuses Saudi soldiers of raping, torturing, and killing African migrants trying to enter the oil-rich country, reports the BBC . HRW interviewed dozens of migrants from Ethiopia and examined photos and...
More Than 60 Feared Dead
in Failed Journey to Spain
Aug 18, 2023 4:41 AM CDT
More Than 60 Feared Dead in Failed Journey to Spain
Dozens of survivors found on fishing boat off Cape Verde were in a 'bad state'
- More than 60 migrants are feared dead after a Spanish fishing vessel rescued a boat off the Atlantic archipelago of Cape Verde that originally had more than 100 people aboard, authorities and migrant advocates said Thursday. Seven bodies were found on the boat and an estimated 56 people are missing...
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes
Big Find on Border Barrier
Aug 16, 2023 7:31 AM CDT
Joint US-Mexico Body Makes Big Find on Border Barrier
Topographical survey discovers that nearly 80% of controversial buoy barrier is in Mexico, not US
- Migrant advocates, environmentalists, and the Mexican and US governments have all pushed back at the controversial border barrier Texas has installed in the Rio Grande to prevent migrants from crossing into the United States. Despite recovering at least two bodies along the barrier since it was installed in July, and...
A Texas Mystery:
Aug 15, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
A Texas Mystery: Water Barrels for Migrants Are Disappearing
Human rights groups have long maintained them as life-saving measure in desperate heat
- As one of the worst heat waves on record rolls through much of the southern United States this summer, authorities and activists in South Texas found themselves embroiled in a mystery in the arid region near the border with Mexico. Barrels of life-saving water that a human rights group had...
On Migrant Bus From Texas
to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
Aug 12, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
On Migrant Bus From Texas to Chicago, a 'Tragic Situation'
3-year-old dies after health issues during trip, part of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's Operation Lone Star
- A 3-year-old traveling on a bus of asylum-seekers headed from Texas to Chicago died before reaching that destination. ABC News reports that confirmation of the child's death came via a spokesperson for the Illinois Department of Public Health, who noted the agency is working with local and state law...
41 Feared Dead in
Aug 9, 2023 12:06 PM CDT
41 Feared Dead in Mediterranean Shipwreck
4 survivors were rescued Wednesday
- Forty-one people are believed dead after a boat carrying migrants capsized off Tunisia in rough seas, the Italian Red Cross and rescue groups reported, citing four survivors who were rescued and brought to land Wednesday. The survivors reported having left Sfax, Tunisia, on a metal boat with a total of...
Aug 6, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Crews Rescue Migrants After Shipwrecks
Italy reports woman, child died in attempted Mediterranean crossing
- Dozens of migrants were dramatically rescued by Italy as they foundered in the sea or clung to a rocky reef Sunday after three boats launched by smugglers from northern Africa shipwrecked in rough waters in separate incidents over the weekend. Survivors said some 30 fellow migrants were missing from capsized...
Out of the Rio Grande,
a 'Troubling' Report
Aug 3, 2023 6:46 AM CDT
Out of the Rio Grande, a 'Troubling' Report
Mexican officials say 2 bodies have been found along Texas' controversial floating barrier
- Despite warnings over possible dangers , as well as a lawsuit from the Justice Department, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott hasn't budged on removing the floating barrier in the middle of the Rio Grande, part of his state's efforts to keep migrants from crossing over from Mexico. Now, two bodies...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.