Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US 'Missileers' Have
Troubling Rates of Cancer
Jan 23, 2023 10:10 AM CST
US 'Missileers' Have Troubling Rates of Cancer
9 officers who worked at nuclear base years ago diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Nine military officers who'd worked decades ago at a nuclear missile base in Montana have been diagnosed with blood cancer, and there are "indications" the disease may be linked to their service, according to military briefing slides obtained by the AP . One of the officers has died. All...
Three US Soldiers Saved
30 Lives in Crowd Crush
Nov 3, 2022 11:50 AM CDT
Three US Soldiers Saved 30 Lives in Crowd Crush
The Americans, stationed at Camp Casey near Seoul, were in Itaewon on their night off
- The death toll from the weekend crowd crush in Seoul stood at a staggering 156 on Thursday, reports the AP , but it might have been even worse if not for three off-duty US soldiers. Yonhap News Agency credits the trio of Jarmil Taylor, 40, Jerome Augusta, 34, and Dane Beathard,...
Ash Carter Oversaw
Big Changes to US Military
Oct 25, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Ash Carter Oversaw Big Changes to US Military
Former defense secretary dies of heart attack at age 68
- Ash Carter, who as defense secretary in the final two years of the Obama administration opened military combat jobs to women and ended a ban on transgender people serving in the military, has died at age 68. Carter died after suffering a heart attack on Monday evening, according a statement...
Army Can't Find Enough
Jul 21, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Army Can't Find Enough New Soldiers
Recruitment expected to miss goals over the next 2 years
- The Army is running short of soldiers. The military branch is projected to end the current fiscal year with 466,000 soldiers, which CBS News reports is about 20,000 short of the goal. And the trend line is only getting worse—the total at the end of the 2023...
4 US Troops Die During
NATO Exercise in Norway
Mar 19, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
4 US Troops Die During NATO Exercise in Norway
Cold Response exercise unrelated to war in Ukraine, Norway's PM says
- Four US soldiers were killed in a plane crash in a Norwegian town in the Arctic Circle during a NATO exercise unrelated to the Ukraine war, Norway's prime minister said Saturday. Jonas Gahr Stoere tweeted that they were killed in the crash on Friday night. The cause was under...
US Troops Land
Near Ukraine Border
Feb 6, 2022 5:15 PM CST
US Troops Land Near Ukraine Border
Biden sends 82nd Airborne members to Poland in support of allies
- The first of 1,700 US service members to arrive in Poland from Fort Bragg landed Sunday, about 56 miles from the Ukraine border. A C-17 and several other planes delivered troops and equipment, Reuters reports, as well as Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Donahue, commanding general of the 82nd Airborne...
Biden Sending Thousands
More Troops to Europe
Feb 2, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Biden Sending Thousands More Troops to Europe
US move meant to show support to NATO allies as tensions continue between Ukraine, Russia
- President Biden is sending about 2,000 troops from Fort Bragg, NC, to Poland and Germany this week, as well as sending part of an infantry Stryker squadron of roughly 1,000 troops based in Germany to Romania, a senior administration official said Wednesday, per the AP . The military moves...
US Places 8.5K Troops
on High Alert for Ukraine
Jan 24, 2022 5:09 PM CST
US Places 8.5K Troops on High Alert for Ukraine
Move is intended to reassure allies, Pentagon says
- Saying "it's very clear the Russians have no intention right now of de-escalating," a Pentagon spokesman announced Monday that 8,500 US troops have been placed on high alert. Should Russia invade Ukraine, most of them would join a NATO response force that hasn't yet become...
Bidens Mourn With
Families at Dover
Aug 29, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
Bidens Mourn With Families at Dover
President meets with troops' families privately
- President Biden and his wife, Jill, traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Sunday to honor the 13 US troops killed in the Kabul airport bombing last week. The Bidens met privately with the troops' families, CNN reports, then watched the transfer of the troops' remains from the...
Biden Sets a Noteworthy
Date for Afghan Withdrawal
Apr 13, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
Biden Sets a Noteworthy Date for Afghan Withdrawal
Troops to be out by Sept. 11, the 20th anniversary of attacks
- The 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is this September, and President Biden has decided US troops will be out of Afghanistan by then. Biden plans to make the announcement Wednesday, the
reports. President George W. Bush launched the invasion after the 9/11 attacks, and President Trump signed...
Overseas Troops Await Shots
Apr 8, 2021 4:11 PM CDT
Overseas Troops Await Shots
Pentagon says it's replacing lost Johnson & Johnson supply with Moderna vaccine
- US military leaders said Thursday that recent problems with the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine have made it more difficult to provide shots for forces overseas, and that vaccines have been offered to service members' families or other Tier 2 beneficiaries in only 40% of the military sites outside the...
DOD for Help on
Feb 5, 2021 1:31 PM CST
FEMA Asked DOD for Help on Vaccines. The DOD Delivered
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has OK'd the deployment of 1K troops to vaccination sites
- The Pentagon will deploy troops to assist getting Americans vaccinated against COVID-19, the White House said Friday. Coronavirus senior adviser Andy Slavitt announced that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has approved a request for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, per the AP . It means about 1,000 active-duty military...
Space Force Has
Dec 19, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Space Force Has Completed a 'Momentous Responsibility'
Troops have been officially named 'guardians,' Mike Pence announced Friday
- If "troops" seemed too boring of a way to refer to the members of Space Force, never fear—there's a new label for those in service to the latest US military branch. "It is my honor, on behalf of the president of the United States, to announce...
Trump: Pull US Troops Out
of This Nation by January
Dec 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Trump: Pull US Troops Out of This Nation by January
Somalia joins Afghanistan and Iraq in Trump's end-of-term troop drawdowns
- Last month, US officials announced President Trump would be pulling a significant number of US troops out of Afghanistan and Iraq by January. Now, another country joins the list, in a different part of the world. The Pentagon said Friday that nearly all of the 700 American troops in Somalia...
US Announces Major
Drawdown in Iraq
Sep 9, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
US Announces Major Drawdown in Iraq
Just 3K troops will remain at the end of this month
- The Trump administration is pulling nearly half of its troops out of Iraq. The US commander in the Middle East said Wednesday that troops would be reduced this month from 5,200 to 3,000—about the number that were in the country in 2015, during the early phase of...
Trump on Germany:
We're Done Being 'Suckers'
Jul 29, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Trump on Germany: We're Done Being 'Suckers'
Mark Esper announces 11.9K troops will withdraw from Germany
- The US will be pulling almost 12,000 troops from Germany, with a bit more than half of them—6,400—set to return stateside. The announcement came Wednesday from Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who said the remaining 5,600 troops withdrawing from Germany will be spread elsewhere throughout Europe,...
Trump: No One Told Me Russia
Offered Bounties on US Soldiers
Jun 28, 2020 8:38 AM CDT
Trump: No One Told Me Russia Offered Bounties on US Soldiers
President said he was never briefed on report that Russia paid Taliban to kill US troops in Afghanistan
- President Trump on Sunday denied that he had been briefed on reported US intelligence that a Russian military intelligence unit secretly offered bounties to Taliban-linked militants for killing American troops in Afghanistan, and he minimized the allegations against Moscow. American intelligence officials concluded months ago that Russian officials offered rewards...
Russia Hired Assassins
to Kill US Troops: Intel
Jun 27, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Russia Hired Assassins to Kill US Troops: Intel
President Trump was informed back in March
- US troops, killed by paid assassins? Maybe so, if this story holds any water. A Russian military spy unit has secretly paid Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition forces in Afghanistan—something President Trump learned about months ago but chose not to act, US officials tell the
New York Times
Trump to Germany:
We're Pulling Out
Jun 6, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Trump to Germany: We're Pulling Out
The president is reducing US military presence in Germany
- President Trump is ordering the Pentagon to pull thousands of troops from Germany—a move that drew criticism and some speculation that it's just a tit-for-tat with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the
reports. The order will remove almost 9,500 troops and reduce the US troop presence there...
1807 Law Is at Center
of Trump's Newest Move
Jun 2, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
1807 Law Is at Center of Trump's Newest Move
Insurrection Act gives the president authority to bring in active-duty troops
- "If a city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residents, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them," President Trump declared Monday . His ability to do so amid the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.