Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 10, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Governor Slams 'Absurd' Reason for Rebuffing Death-Row Inmates
Louisiana's John Bel Edwards asks pardons board to commute death sentences for 56 prisoners
- A mass petition from 56 Louisiana inmates seeking commutations from their death sentences has seemingly made its way to Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards, who this week sent a letter to the state's Board of Pardons to ask for movement on this front. Per the Louisiana Radio Network , the...
Oregon's Death Row
Gets Sentence Commuted
Dec 14, 2022 6:21 AM CST
Everyone on Oregon's Death Row Gets Sentence Commuted
Gov. Kate Brown says action was taken because death penalty is 'immoral'
- Oregon's death row will soon be empty. Gov. Kate Brown is commuting the death sentences of all 17 people on it to sentences of life without the possibility of parole, she announced Tuesday. Declaring that the death penalty "cannot be and never has been administered fairly and equitably,...
His First Pardons
Apr 26, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
Biden Issues His First Pardons
Grants clemency to 3, commutes sentences of 75 more
- President Biden has granted his first three pardons, reports the AP , providing clemency to a Kennedy-era Secret Service agent convicted of bribery and to two people convicted on drug-related charges who went on to become pillars in their communities. Biden also commuted the sentences of 75 others for nonviolent, drug-related...
Pamela Smart's Latest
Bid for Release Rejected
Mar 23, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Pamela Smart's Latest Bid for Release Rejected
NH council voted 5-0 against granting her a commutation hearing
: New Hampshire's Executive Council has unanimously rejected Pamela Smart's request for a commutation hearing, 32 years after she recruited her 15-year-old lover to kill husband Gregg Smart, the AP reports. Smart, 54, is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole. Associate Attorney General Jeff Strelzin...
Trump Has Busy Last
Full Day in Office Planned
Jan 18, 2021 5:01 AM CST
Trump Has Busy Last Full Day in Office Planned
Sources say president will issue around 100 pardons and commutations
- President Trump's pardoning spree will continue until pretty near the bitter end, sources say. Three people familiar with the matter tell CNN that the POTUS will issue somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pardons and commutations on Tuesday, his last full day in office. He has until noon on...
to Free Myon Burrell
Dec 16, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Minnesota Decides to Free Myon Burrell
The 34-year-old was sentenced to life as a juvenile
- A Black Minnesota man sent to prison for life as a teenager took his first steps of freedom Tuesday to the sound of ringing bells and cheering family members and supporters, hours after a pardons board commuted his sentence in a high-profile murder case. Myon Burrell's prosecution and harsh...
Her Lawyers Got
COVID. Now an
Nov 20, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Her Lawyers Got COVID. Now an Execution Reprieve
Federal judge orders Lisa Montgomery not be put to death before 2021
- Lisa Montgomery is getting a bit of a break. Montgomery was set to be executed on Dec. 8 in Terre Haute, Ind., which would make her the first woman put to death by the federal government in nearly seven decades. But two of her attorneys last week requested a delay...
'Will Do Anything'
to Help Trump
Jul 13, 2020 7:26 AM CDT
Roger Stone 'Will Do Anything' to Help Trump Win Reelection
He'll be campaigning for president, he tells Axios, adding he'll stay within the boundaries of the law
- Now that Roger Stone is once more a free man, Mike Allen of Axios was able to catch up with him for a chat over the phone, and he's got the scoop on Stone's next move: campaigning for President Trump's reelection. The 67-year-old Trump ally says now...
Robert Mueller Has a Point
to Make About Roger Stone
Jul 12, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Robert Mueller Has a Point to Make About Roger Stone
'He remains a convicted felon, and rightly so'
- President Trump handed Roger Stone his Get Out of Jail Free card , and the man who tried to send the former fixer to jail is weighing in on the ensuing brouhaha following Stone's commutation. Writing in the
Washington Post ,
former special counsel Robert Mueller opines that "Stone was...
to Fever Pitch
Jul 11, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Roger Stone Commutation Ups Outrage to Fever Pitch
Mitt Romney calls it 'historic corruption'
- If media pundits could use exclamation points, they surely would. A day after President Trump's commutation of Roger Stone's sentence, words like "outrage" and "unforgivable" are blazing across the media landscape in op-eds, tweets, and TV interviews. To recap, the president commuted the sentence of his...
Mar 24, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
22nd State Abolishes Death Penalty
Colorado governor also commutes sentences of 3 men on death row
- Colorado has become the 22nd state to abolish the death penalty, which it hasn't used since 1997. Forty-four years after capital punishment was reinstated in the Centennial State, Gov. Jared Polis signed a bill Monday banning its use—"consistent with the recognition that the death penalty cannot be,...
Blagojevich Has a Lot
to Say About Trump
Feb 19, 2020 1:47 PM CST
Blagojevich Has a Lot to Say About Trump
Former Illinois governor gushes about the president, calls himself a 'Trumpocrat'
- Rod Blagojevich promised he'd have more to say about the president Wednesday, and true to his word, the former Illinois Democratic governor gushed about Donald Trump after the Republican president commuted his sentence for political corruption, speaking Wednesday at a press event outside his Chicago home that sounded like...
The Public Is
Feb 19, 2020 10:45 AM CST
The Public Is Behind Trump on Blagojevich
Lots of people thought 14 years was excessive, writes Natasha Korecki
- The backlash was swift Tuesday as President Trump commuted Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for political corruption. But Politico reporter Natasha Korecki argues the move "isn't crazy." In a Tuesday op-ed, Korecki—who wrote about Blagojevich's case for the
and in a subsequent...
Report: FBI Asking Questions
About Ex-Governor's Pardons
Dec 26, 2019 6:45 AM CST
Report: FBI Asking Questions About Ex-Governor's Pardons
Sources: FBI agent contacted Ky. Rep. Chris Harris on Matt Bevin's controversial pardons
- Members of the general public may not be the only ones wondering about the pardons Matt Bevin issued during his final days as Kentucky's governor. The more than 600 pardons and commutations—including for a convicted child rapist and for a man whose brother and sister-in-law held a fundraiser...
Making a Murderer
Gets Governor's Pardon Answer
Dec 20, 2019 1:08 PM CST
Making a Murderer
's Dassey Gets Governor's Pardon Answer
That would be a no from Wisconsin's Tony Evers
- Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers said Friday he won't consider a pardon request from a man convicted of rape and murder when he was a teenager whose story was documented in the Netflix series
Making a Murderer
. The request from Brendan Dassey doesn't meet the criteria for a pardon...
Why Matt Bevin Pardoned
Child Rapist? Girl's Hymen
Dec 20, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Why Matt Bevin Pardoned Child Rapist? Girl's Hymen
Former Kentucky governor says 'there was zero evidence'
- Former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin is defending his decision to pardon a convicted child rapist shortly before leaving office on the basis that "there was zero evidence." And by that he means the victim's hymen was intact. In a WHAS radio interview, Bevin discussed the case of...
Sets Free Man
Serving Life for
Child Sex Abuse
Nov 26, 2019 7:33 AM CST
Outgoing Gov Sets Free Man Serving Life for Child Sex Abuse
Ky. Gov. Matt Bevin issued pardon for Paul Donel Hurt in case with questionable recantation
- An outgoing governor issued more than a dozen last-minute pardons late last week, but one in particular is raising eyebrows. Per the
, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin put out a pardon and commutation order Friday for Paul Donel Hurt, who was serving a life sentence after being convicted in 2001...
Is Nation's Largest
Nov 1, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
Mass Oklahoma Inmate Release Is Nation's Largest
400 inmates expected to leave prison Monday
- More than 400 Oklahoma inmates are expected to walk out of prison Monday in what state officials say is the largest single-day mass commutation in the nation's history. The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board is expected to approve the commutations Friday and forward them to Gov. Kevin Stitt, a...
A Break for
Could Be Coming
Aug 8, 2019 7:32 AM CDT
A Break for Rod Blagojevich Could Be Coming
President Trump says commutation is possible
- Rod Blagojevich's daughter will be especially happy to hear this: President Trump said Wednesday he is "very strongly" considering commuting the 14-year sentence for corruption currently being served by Blagojevich, the former Illinois governor. "I thought he was treated unbelievably unfairly … He's been in jail...
Bernie Madoff Asks
Trump for Clemency
Jul 25, 2019 1:48 AM CDT
Bernie Madoff Asks Trump for Clemency
'The very definition of chutzpah'
- Bernie Madoff is now 10 years into his 150-year sentence for orchestrating a $65 billion Ponzi scheme—and the 81-year-old is looking for a way out. Justice Department records show that Madoff has petitioned President Trump to commute his sentence, and the request is listed as "pending," ABC...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.