Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Asian Leader Has
Jul 26, 2023 6:08 AM CDT
Longest-Serving Asian Leader Has Eyebrow-Raising Exit Plan
Autocratic Cambodian PM Hun Sen says he'll step down in 3 weeks, hand reins to son Hun Manet, 45
- Longtime Cambodian leader Hun Sen said Wednesday he'll step down in three weeks as prime minister and hand the position to his eldest son, who won his first seat in Parliament in Sunday's election. The announcement came after their Cambodian People's Party won a landslide victory in...
Ruling Party Claims Landslide
in Cambodian Vote US Snubs
Jul 23, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
Ruling Party Claims Landslide in Cambodian Vote US Snubs
Human rights groups said election wasn't democratic
- The ruling party of longtime Prime Minister Hun Sen claimed a landslide victory in Cambodia's general election on Sunday, an outcome that was virtually assured thanks to the suppression and intimidation of the opposition in a vote opponents said made a farce of democracy. Six hours after polls closed,...
The Rain Poured Down on
Her; Then the Praise Did, Too
May 17, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
The Rain Poured Down on Her; Then the Praise Did, Too
Bou Samnang is being hailed for her perseverance
- For some of us, pouring rain makes it hard to get off the couch. It's understandable, then, why a Cambodian runner's determination to finish her race in a downpour, and while in last place and alone on the track, is winning hearts. The run in question happened May...
Ancient Empire's Crown Jewels
Found 'in the Back of a Car'
in case you missed it
Feb 26, 2023 7:20 AM CST
Ancient Empire's Crown Jewels Found 'in the Back of a Car'
Looted antiquities held by English collector Douglas Latchford returned to Cambodia
- The Khmer Empire's crown jewels, held by a suspected antiquities smuggler but largely unknown to experts, have been returned to their homeland. The Cambodian collection, including pieces dating to the seventh century, was once kept by collector Douglas Latchford, an Englishman who spent much of his later life in...
Death Toll Hits 25 in
High-Rise Casino Fire
Dec 30, 2022 4:15 AM CST
Death Toll Hits 25 in High-Rise Casino Fire
More than 60 were injured, Cambodian authorities say
- The confirmed death toll from a massive fire at a casino hotel complex in Cambodia rose to 25 on Friday as the search resumed for victims, officials said. The blaze at the Grand Diamond City casino and hotel in the town of Poipet on the Thai border started around midnight...
After 16 Years, $337M Tribunal
Ends With Just 3 Convictions
Sep 22, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
After 16 Years, $337M Tribunal Ends With Just 3 Convictions
UN-backed court rejects appeal from Khmer Rouge's last surviving leader
- The international court convened in Cambodia to judge the Khmer Rouge for its brutal 1970s rule ended its work Thursday after spending $337 million and 16 years to convict just three men of crimes after the regime caused the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million people. In its final...
It's the Biggest Freshwater
Fish Ever Recorded
Jun 21, 2022 7:19 AM CDT
It's the Biggest Freshwater Fish Ever Recorded
Giant stingray in Cambodia weighs in at 661 pounds
- Researchers say they've encountered the largest freshwater fish ever documented—a giant stingray stretching 13 feet long, more than 7 feet wide, and weighing some 661 pounds. "In 20 years of researching giant fish in rivers and lakes on six continents, this is the largest freshwater fish that...
China Building Secret Base
in Cambodia, Officials Say
Jun 6, 2022 4:24 PM CDT
China Building Secret Base in Cambodia, Officials Say
Both countries have denied the project, though groundbreaking is this week
- China is establishing a naval base in Cambodia as part of its plan to have military sites for its use around the world, Western officials say. The two nations have shrouded the project in secrecy and denials, though they plan a groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday that Chinese officials will attend,...
Dies at Age 8
Jan 11, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Retired 'HeroRAT' Dies at Age 8
Magawa sniffed out land mines in Cambodia until punching his last time card last year
"A hero is laid to rest." So read the announcement Tuesday on the death of Magawa, the rat that became a legend in Cambodia for his award-winning work in sniffing out land mines. Belgian charity Apopo notes in its release that Magawa, 8, had seemed in generally...
'World's Loneliest Elephant'
Arrives Safely at New Home
Nov 30, 2020 1:10 PM CST
'World's Loneliest Elephant' Arrives Safely at New Home
'The flight was uneventful, which is all you can ask for when you transfer an elephant'
- The pachyderm dubbed the "world’s loneliest elephant" after languishing alone for years in a Pakistani zoo was greeted on his arrival in Cambodia on Monday by chanting Buddhist monks and then sent on his way to a wildlife sanctuary. Like other travelers during these times, Kaavan needed to...
Sep 26, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
2-Foot-Long Rat Wins Gold Medal for 'Bravery'
Magawa has a rather scary job in Cambodia
- Not a big rat fan? Meet Magawa. The furry two-footer received a gold medal Friday for his work detecting land mines in Cambodia, NBC News reports. "Magawa's dedication, skill and bravery are an extraordinary example of this and deserve the highest possible recognition," said Jan McLoughlin, head...
Dead at 77
Sep 2, 2020 12:08 AM CDT
Khmer Rouge Executioner Dead at 77
Kaing Guek Eav had been hospitalized after having difficulty breathing
- The Khmer Rouge’s chief jailer, who admitted overseeing the torture and killings of as many as 16,000 Cambodians while running the regime’s most notorious prison, has died. Kaing Guek Eav, known as Duch, was 77 and had been serving a life prison term for war crimes and...
Passengers Finally Let Off
Ship Just Want to Go Home
Feb 19, 2020 6:16 PM CST
Passengers Finally Let Off Ship Just Want to Go Home
Kept Aboard Over Virus Fears, Hundreds Await Tickets Out of Cambodia
- The cheers of celebration have faded. The waving of roses has ceased. Having finally reached a friendly port in Cambodia willing to accept them after nearly two weeks of uncertainty at sea, hundreds of cruise ship passengers eyed warily over fears of a new virus are now simply trying to...
Passengers Finally Leave
Shunned Cruise Ship
Feb 14, 2020 3:04 AM CST
Passengers Finally Leave Shunned Cruise Ship
Cambodia's leader gave them flowers
- Hundreds of cruise ship passengers long stranded at sea by virus fears cheered as they finally disembarked Friday and were welcomed to Cambodia by the nation's authoritarian leader, who handed them flowers. Prime Minister Hun Sen agreed to let the Westerdam dock at the port of Sihanoukville on Thursday...
Ship Rejected by 5 Countries
Anchors Off Cambodia
Feb 13, 2020 12:32 AM CST
Ship Rejected by 5 Countries Anchors Off Cambodia
Passengers will be allowed to disembark after health checks
- A cruise ship turned away by other Asian and Pacific governments due to virus fears anchored Thursday off Cambodia, which is checking the health of its 2,200 passengers and crew. The Westerdam was unwelcome elsewhere even though operator Holland America Line said no cases of the COVID-19 viral illness...
In Remote Cambodia,
a Giant Project Worries US
Dec 25, 2019 7:11 AM CST
In Remote Cambodia, a Giant Project Worries US
China is building an enormous runway, but Cambodia insists it's not for military use
- It's a reasonable enough question: "Why would the Chinese show up in the middle of a jungle to build a runway?" asks political scientist Sophal Ear of Occidental College in the
New York Times
. The runway in question is in a remote part of Cambodia, and as it...
Got a Handle on
Nov 16, 2018 3:30 PM CST
Think You've Got a Handle on Foreign Languages? Meet Thaksin
Thaksin sells souvenirs, but Cambodian Red Cross will pay for his education after newfound fame
- A young boy who's picked up parts of at least 12 languages and dialects while selling souvenirs to tourists at Cambodia's Angkor Wat temple complex is about to get a change of scenery—and a free education. Thaksin first won hearts around the world in a viral video...
Tribunal Delivers Historic
Khmer Rouge Verdict
Nov 16, 2018 12:15 AM CST
Tribunal Delivers Historic Khmer Rouge Verdict
2 surviving leaders guilty of genocide
- The last surviving leaders of the Khmer Rouge that brutally ruled Cambodia in the 1970s were convicted of genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes Friday by an international tribunal. Nuon Chea, 92, and Khieu Samphan, 87, were sentenced to life in prison, the same sentence they are already serving...
Cambodia Arrests Foreigners
for 'Pornographic Dancing'
Jan 29, 2018 5:26 AM CST
Cambodia Arrests Foreigners for 'Pornographic Dancing'
10 Westerners could get a year in prison
- Cambodian prosecutors charged 10 foreigners Sunday with producing pornographic pictures after they were arrested at a party in the town of Siem Reap, near the country's famed Angkor Wat temple complex. Police say they raided a rented villa on Thursday where the foreigners were taking part in what organizers...
A Dragon-Controlling King
Is Shaping Cambodian Politics
Dec 7, 2017 5:34 PM CST
A Dragon-Controlling King Is Shaping Cambodian Politics
Prime minister may believe himself to be legendary king reincarnated
- The legend of Sdech Kan says the 16th century Cambodian ruler controlled dragons, walked on water, and shot four arrows simultaneously, among other tall tales. Five-hundred years later, the
New York Times
reports Cambodia's current ruler—Prime Minister Hun Sen—may see more than a little of himself in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.