Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Stories 1 - 20 |
Relief Payments Result
in 'Surprising' Poverty Decline
Sep 14, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Relief Payments Result in 'Surprising' Poverty Decline
Official poverty rate rises, but 'supplemental' measure declines
- The share of Americans living in poverty rose slightly as the COVID-19 pandemic shook the economy last year, but massive relief payments pumped out by Congress eased hardship for many, the Census Bureau reported Tuesday.
The official poverty measure showed an increase of 1 percentage point in 2020,
'American Rescue Plan'
One Step Closer to Arrival
Feb 27, 2021 6:00 AM CST
'American Rescue Plan' One Step Closer to Arrival
House votes 219-212 to approve $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill, sends it to Senate
- A long-awaited COVID relief bill is now making its way to the US Senate after the House of Representatives approved the $1.9 trillion package early Saturday. CNN reports that the vote was 219-212, with no Republicans casting a "yea," and two Democrats joining their GOP colleagues in...
Do You Have $1,400
Coming Your Way, and When?
Jan 21, 2021 10:55 AM CST
Do You Have $1,400 Coming Your Way, and When?
CBS News suggests $1,400 checks may wait until March or April
- Now that Joe Biden is officially in the Oval Office , the work begins—and at the top of many Americans' minds is when they can expect stimulus checks to help them get through the pandemic. The president has a $1.9 trillion COVID relief proposal on deck, and contained in...
Attempt to Increase COVID
Relief Checks Fails in House
Dec 24, 2020 10:05 AM CST
Attempt to Increase COVID Relief Checks Fails in House
House Democrats side with Trump on bigger amount, but Republicans block measure
- So how much will Americans get in COVID relief payments, and when will they get it? Check back Monday. House Democrats and Republicans engaged in a quick battle of legislative maneuvers on Thursday that effectively punted the issue into next week. The recap: Earlier this week, Congress passed legislation that...
He Got His Gun
Nov 20, 2020 6:27 AM CST
Kyle Rittenhouse Explains How He Got His Gun
Accused Kenosha shooter talks to the 'Washington Post'
- Accused Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse isn't old enough to buy or own a gun—so, the Illinois 17-year-old tells the
in a new interview, an 18-year-old friend who lives in Kenosha, Wisconsin, bought it for him ... using economic stimulus funds. "I got my $1200 from the...
Austrians Cash In Stimulus
Checks From ... America?
Sep 10, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Austrians Cash In Stimulus Checks From ... America?
And they're not the only foreigners receiving US stimulus funds in error
- Austria isn't part of the United States of America (last time we checked), but over the past few months, some Austrians have received assistance reserved only for US citizens and residents. They've been cashing checks sent to them as part of the $2 trillion US stimulus package, even...
$1.4B in Stimulus Money
Went to Dead People
Jun 25, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
$1.4B in Stimulus Money Went to Dead People
Government watchdog finds that death records weren't reviewed
- The Trump administration has some lessons to learn before sending out any new coronavirus stimulus checks . More than 1 million checks for a combined $1.4 billion were distributed to dead people, according to a government watchdog report covering coronavirus relief spending approved by Congress as of April 30. In...
Get $2K a Month
May 8, 2020 1:48 PM CDT
Senators' Proposal: Americans Should Get $2K a Month
Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders, Ed Markey unveil 'big idea' to relief economic pain during pandemic
- Americans who received a $1,200 stimulus check from the government to help mitigate financial losses during the coronavirus pandemic could now be coming to a sobering realization: It may not be enough. Three senators are saying the same, and they've just put forth a "big idea" to...
Next Move for Pelosi,
Schumer Is 'Rooseveltian'
May 8, 2020 10:16 AM CDT
Next Move for Pelosi, Schumer Is 'Rooseveltian'
Senate minority leader says coronavirus relief plan is response to call for 'big and bold' action
- With millions out of work and the future still murky amid the coronavirus pandemic, Americans are wondering what relief may soon be coming their way. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have something in the works: specifically, an aggressive economic stimulus plan that Schumer describes in...
Tracked My IRS
Apr 25, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Grandma Tracked My IRS Stimulus Payment
Austin Goodrich says he's standing up for abused tenants
- Austin Goodrich has a serious beef with his landlord—who also happens to be his grandmother. The Oregon man filed a lawsuit Wednesday saying his landlord had illegally accessed information about his stimulus check in order to collect his rent, News Channel 8 Portland reports. The 22-year-old claims his grandma...
Landlord Text on
Apr 21, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Man Felt 'Violated' After Landlord Text on Stimulus Check
Ore. man says property manager illegally accessed payment status via IRS site, asked for rent
- On April 15, Austin Goodrich received his stimulus check from the government. That same day, he got some odd texts from his property manager, per Business Insider . In messages documented by Joshua Browder, CEO of the DoNotPay legal chatbot, Goodrich's landlord asked him, "You got your stimulus, just...
Dead People Are
Apr 19, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Dead People Are Getting Stimulus Payments
Relatives of the deceased are asking: Will the government want it back?
- The dead may tell no tales, but they do get stimulus checks—and media reports are cropping up about relatives wondering what to do with the windfall. "Obviously, she does not need stimulus right now," Jeanne Siracuse tells NBC News about her mother, who received $1,200 despite...
There Are Snags
Apr 17, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
IRS Starts Sending Out Payments, but There Are Snags
Direct deposits go through first, then checks will be mailed
- More than 80 million people have already received their one-time payments from the IRS, mandated in the economic stimulus legislation, Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said this week. Those are payments that the IRS was able to put directly into accounts. But there are issues in getting the payments to everyone...
It's Easy to Check on
Your Stimulus Payment
Apr 15, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
It's Easy to Check on Your Stimulus Payment
IRS.gov goes live with a tracking tool
- It's safe to say everyone who's expecting a federal stimulus check is eager to "get my payment." Those wondering exactly when that will happen can now turn to "Get My Payment" to find out. The new feature on went live on IRS.gov on Wednesday,...
Stimulus Checks Will Have
an Unusual Name on Them
Apr 15, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Stimulus Checks Will Have an Unusual Name on Them
A president's name, for the first time ever
- If you're among the Americans checking their mailboxes for a stimulus check, the
reports that yours will be coming to you a little differently than any other IRS disbursement in history: It will bear the words "President Donald J. Trump" on the left-hand side of the...
One Group Will Get Checks
Starting Monday: Lawmaker
Apr 8, 2020 7:30 PM CDT
One Group Will Get Checks Starting Monday: Lawmaker
Sources differ, but Social Security beneficiaries might come first
- Millions of Americans are close to receiving stimulus payments, but when exactly? Media reports are trying to break it down. Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-Mich) said Wednesday the first group of recipients will include people who receive Social Security and who filed federal tax returns specifying their direct deposit information,
New Committee to Watch
How Stimulus Money Is Spent
Apr 2, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
New Committee to Watch How Stimulus Money Is Spent
Republicans say there's enough oversight already
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is launching a bipartisan committee to keep an eye on how the $2 trillion in the new stimulus bill is spent. "Where there's money there’s also frequently mischief," Pelosi said Thursday. "We want to make sure there are not exploiters out...
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus
Funds for One Set of Americans
Apr 2, 2020 6:32 AM CDT
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
Social Security recipients won't have to file tax return to get money
- One of the biggest challenges the Treasury Department has in getting Americans their checks from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus stimulus package is tracking down people who don't file tax returns. Now, at least one key group of nonfilers will see that process expedited. The official word, delivered from...
Here's When You'll Get
Your Coronavirus Money
Mar 30, 2020 6:52 AM CDT
Here's When You'll Get Your Coronavirus Money
Mnuchin says payments will be made within 3 weeks
- Americans will start receiving money from the $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief package within three weeks if the government has their bank details, Steven Mnuchin confirmed Sunday. "We expect that within three weeks that people who have direct deposit with information with us will see those direct deposit in...
Your $1.2K Check
May Be Very Close
Mar 24, 2020 6:45 AM CDT
Your $1.2K Check May Be Very Close
As both sides near relief deal, Trump asks if Democrats 'want virus to win'
- After a day of anger and insults , a bipartisan Senate deal on a massive economic stimulus bill could be announced as early as Tuesday morning. Negotiations finished shortly before midnight without a deal, but Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said they were very close to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.