Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man, 73, Charged With
Digging Up His Grandmother
Nov 10, 2023 12:17 PM CST
Man, 73, Charged With Digging Up His Grandmother
Zebulun Nash and a friend face misdemeanor after bizarre episode near St. Louis
- Two men are facing charges in Missouri after trying to dig up one of their long-dead grandmothers. Police found the 73-year-olds covered in dirt at Washington Park Cemetery in the St. Louis suburb of Berkeley on Aug. 22. Zebulun Nash of Houston, Texas—who formerly sat on the board of...
Peewee Coach Shot
by Player's Father
Oct 24, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
Peewee Coach Shot by Player's Father
Man facing felony charges in shooting at St. Louis youth football practice says it was self-defense
- As a youth football coach, Shaquille Latimore is used to parents being angry with him. He's not used to angry fathers pulling out guns and shooting him, as he says happened at a recent practice in St. Louis. A father confronted Latimore about his decision to bench the man'...
Zoo Mourns Elephant Death
After Dog Causes Stir at Zoo
Oct 18, 2023 5:52 PM CDT
Zoo Mourns Elephant Death After Dog Causes Stir at Zoo
Rani, 27, collapsed after others became distressed
- An Asian elephant at the St. Louis Zoo has died after becoming agitated when a loose dog in the area apparently caused distress in other elephants. Rani, 27, had been at the zoo since 2001, the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
reports. "We are absolutely devastated," zoo Director Michael Macek...
Detective Torpedoed Own
Cases in Spat With Prosecutor
Oct 15, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Detective Torpedoed Own Cases in Spat With Prosecutor
Roger Murphey refused to testify in protest of how attorney treated St. Louis police
- Roger Murphey investigated his share of murder cases as a police detective in St. Louis, but an unusual twist has affected at least nine of them, reports ProPublica . Murphey, who retired in 2021, has refused to testify in court against the defendants he believes are guilty. He acknowledges sabotaging the...
Here Are the Most,
Least Safe US Cities
Oct 9, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Here Are the Most, Least Safe US Cities
Nashua, New Hampshire, comes in as the safest on WalletHub's list; St. Louis ranks last
- Community safety "comes in many forms," notes WalletHub —from avoiding mass shootings, natural disasters, and car accidents, to having health insurance, financial security, and avoiding eyebrow-raising websites. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of the nation's largest cities to see which ones are safest, using more...
We Got Atomic Bombs.
St. Louis Paid a Price
Jul 15, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
We Got Atomic Bombs. St. Louis Paid a Price
A joint investigation finds health risks, spills to the St. Louis area were ignored
- The federal government and companies responsible for nuclear bomb production and atomic waste storage sites in the St. Louis area in the mid-20th century were aware of health risks, spills, improperly stored contaminants, and other problems—but often ignored them, finds an investigation done in collaboration by the AP , the...
This Is the Most
Stressed City in America
Jul 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed City in America
Cleveland tops WalletHub's list, while Vermont's South Burlington chillaxes in last place
- Between work, family issues, money, and life's other usual trials and tribulations, trying to tamp down on stress can seem a fruitless task. There may be some areas of the country, however, where you can surround yourself with a calmer, more carefree populace. WalletHub examined the 182 largest US...
Feb 25, 2023 11:30 AM CST
This Bear Really Wants Out of the Zoo
Ben recaptured after 2nd escape from St. Louis Zoo this month
- St. Louis Zoo officials say they're working to find a way to keep an Andean bear named Ben inside his enclosure after he escaped Thursday for the second time this month. The bear was outside for less than an hour and was found only about 100 feet away from...
Cops: KFC Customer Shot
Worker After Corn Ran Out
Dec 14, 2022 5:50 PM CST
Cops: KFC Customer Shot Worker After Corn Ran Out
Police are searching for St. Louis suspect
- For most people, finding out that a KFC outlet had run out of corn would be a minor disappointment at most. For a customer in St. Louis, it was reason enough to shoot somebody, police say. According to a police incident report, a 25-year-old male employee was shot in the...
No, That's Not a Desert—
That's the Mississippi River
Oct 29, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
No, That's Not a Desert— That's the Mississippi River
Drought, record-low water levels are mucking up ship routes and commerce along trade super-route
- Every year, 589 million tons of freight moves up and down the Mississippi River, which CNN deems "America's most important trade waterway." But you may need to take "water" out of that description along many sections of the route, as a historic drought has caused the...
Pokemon Go Rival
Oct 27, 2022 8:24 AM CDT
Prosecutors: Father, Son Nearly Drowned Pokemon Go Rival
Robert and Angelo Matteuzzi convicted of felony assault following 'ridiculous' brawl
- Two men from Missouri have been found guilty of assault after a brawl over Pokemon Go that landed the pair and their victim in a lake, along with some teeth. The popular smartphone game sees rival players do virtual battle with Pokemon characters for control of real-life locations known as...
Police Say School Shooter's
Family Took His Gun Away
Oct 26, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Police Say School Shooter's Family Took His Gun Away
St. Louis police say relatives 'did everything they could'
- The "heartbroken" family of St. Louis school shooter Orlando Harris did "everything that they possibly could have done, but sometimes that's not enough," Police Commissioner Michael Sack said Wednesday. Sack said the 19-year-old's family had long been concerned about his mental health and would check...
In St. Louis School Shooting,
'Miles Davis' Warning Helped
Oct 25, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
In St. Louis School Shooting, 'Miles Davis' Warning Helped
Code in announcement alerted teachers of a threat
- It took four minutes for officers to enter Central Visual and Performing Arts High School in St. Louis on Monday following reports of an active shooter . "There was no sidewalk conference, there was no discussion," Police Commissioner Michael Sack said, per CNN . "They just went right in....
St. Louis High School Shooter
Identified as Former Student
Oct 24, 2022 6:25 PM CDT
St. Louis High School Shooter Identified as Former Student
Police say gunman graduated last year, didn't have criminal record
- The gunman who killed a teacher and a 16-year-old girl at a St. Louis high school before he was killed by police Monday has been identified as Orlando Harris, a 19-year-old former student. Harris graduated from Central Visual and Performing Arts High School last year, and one survivor heard him...
3 Dead in Shooting
at St. Louis High School
Oct 24, 2022 11:59 AM CDT
3 Dead in Shooting at St. Louis High School
Police say shooter died in exchange of gunfire
(Updated throughout with new details.)
At least three people, including the shooter, were killed Monday in a shooting inside a St. Louis high school. The shooting just after 9am at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School forced students to barricade doors and huddle in classroom corners, jump from...
at Mo. School 'Takes
Your Breath From You'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 22, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Alarming Discovery at Mo. School 'Takes Your Breath From You'
Radioactive waste found at Jana Elementary, in St. Louis suburb where WWII nukes were made
- There's significant radioactive contamination at an elementary school in suburban St. Louis where nuclear weapons were produced during World War II, according to a new report by environmental investigation consultants. The report by Boston Chemical Data Corp. confirmed fears about contamination at Jana Elementary School, in the Hazelwood School...
This Is the Safest
City in America
Oct 10, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
This Is the Safest City in America
Columbia, Md., tops WalletHub's rankings; St. Louis is at the bottom
- When people think of "safety" in their homes and communities, crime is often the first thing that pops into their heads. But as WalletHub notes for its rankings of the safest cities in America, there's more to it than that. Safety can also encompass a variety of other...
St. Louis Just Got
an Insane Amount of Rain
Jul 26, 2022 11:42 AM CDT
St. Louis Just Got an Insane Amount of Rain
City records a record 8.8 inches, and surrounding areas even more
- St. Louis was a mess on Tuesday after the city was deluged with record rainfall overnight. By the official measure taken at Lambert Airport about 9am, the city had recorded 8.8 inches since midnight, reports the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
. The figure easily surpassed the previous daily record of 6....
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
Want to Get (and Stay)
Married? Here's Where to Go
Jun 12, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Want to Get (and Stay) Married? Here's Where to Go
LawnStarter ranks the best US cities for wedded bliss
- Maybe there actually is something to getting married in front of Cinderella Castle. Orlando, Fla., where the "happiest place on Earth" (Disney World) is located, is just one of the entries making up the top 10 in LawnStarter's ranking of the best US cities to get (and stay)...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.