Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kansas Board: Please Drop
Native American Mascots
Nov 10, 2022 6:45 PM CST
Kansas Board: Please Drop Native American Mascots
Report cites harm the branding can do to students' self-esteem
- The Kansas State Board of Education on Thursday recommended that the state's public school districts eliminate Native American mascots and branding to reduce their harmful impacts on students. The board approved a motion making a "strong recommendation" that Kansas public K-12 nontribal schools retire Native American-themed mascots and...
Kansas Man Sentenced
for Illegal Autopsy Scheme
Sep 20, 2022 5:33 PM CDT
Kansas Man Sentenced for Illegal Autopsy Scheme
Self-taught pathology assistant Shawn Parcells gets 6 years
- A Kansas man who admitted running an illegal autopsy scheme has been sentenced to nearly six years in prison for wire fraud. Shawn Parcells, 42, was sentenced Monday in federal court to one count of wire fraud, the US Attorney's office said. He pleaded guilty in May. As part...
FBI Arrests Kansas Detective
12 Years After His Retirement
Sep 16, 2022 9:32 AM CDT
FBI Arrests Kansas Detective 12 Years After His Retirement
Roger Golubski allegedly used his position to sexually abuse two Black women
- A homicide detective in Kansas used his position to sexually abuse two Black women, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday. Roger Golubski, 69, who retired from the Kansas City Police Department in 2010, has been arrested by the FBI. The indictment charging him with six counts of deprivation of civil...
Kansas Recount Changes
Few Votes on Abortion Rights
Aug 20, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Kansas Recount Changes Few Votes on Abortion Rights
Activist who made request says the effort was worth the trouble
- Results from eight of nine Kansas counties that recounted ballots found fewer than 35 changed votes from the Aug. 2 election, when voters soundly rejected a proposed amendment that would have removed abortion rights from the state's constitution. The counties faced a 5pm Saturday deadline to complete the hand...
Kansas Abortion Opponents
Run Up Some Credit Card Debt
Aug 16, 2022 6:14 AM CDT
Kansas Abortion Opponents Run Up Some Credit Card Debt
Statewide measure passed by 18 percentage points, but they're going to get partial recount
Kansas will indeed carry out a partial hand recount that won't change the outcome of this month's decisive vote in favor of abortion rights after abortion opponents charged almost $120,000 to credit cards Monday to cover the cost, reports the AP . The Kansas secretary of state'...
After Buffalo Injures Deputy,
Owner's Body Found
Aug 8, 2022 5:04 PM CDT
After Buffalo Injures Deputy, Owner's Body Found
Kansas man was gored to death
- A buffalo charged and seriously injured a Kansas sheriff's deputy one day before the animal's owner was found gored to death, authorities say. Ellsworth County Sheriff Murray Marston said in a news release that the buffalo had wandered onto a state highway and the deputy was trying to...
Abortion Rights Supporters
May Wind Up Thanking Alito
Aug 4, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
Abortion Rights Supporters May Wind Up Thanking Alito
Kansas result suggests court decision could lead to a national consensus in favor of access
- The overwhelming support for abortion rights in Kansas is giving Democrats new wind in their sails ahead of the November midterms, which have looked bad for the party for a while, particularly given President Biden's approval ratings . The Kansas vote suggests strong national support for abortion rights—a focus...
Vote Suggests Strong Support
for Abortion Rights Nationwide
Aug 4, 2022 11:33 AM CDT
Vote Suggests Strong Support for Abortion Rights Nationwide
'NYT' analysis says Kansas vote likely would have gone the same way in all but 7 states
- Most analysts expected a narrow victory at best for abortion rights supporters in a vote in Kansas on Tuesday. Instead, they had an overwhelming win in the conservative state, which has energized the movement and upended predictions about this year's midterm elections. A ballot measure that would have removed...
In Wake of Roe v. Wade,
Kansas Delivers Its Own Verdict
Aug 3, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
In Wake of Roe v. Wade, Kansas Delivers Its Own Verdict
Conservative-leaning state votes to protect abortion rights
- Abortion rights have been upheld in the first state to vote on the issue since the overturning of Roe v. Wade—a reliably Republican state, too. Kansas voters on Tuesday rejected a state constitutional amendment that would have ended abortion protections, meaning the state will remain one of the few...
Amid 100 Statues
at Capitol, She's
the 11th Woman
Jul 28, 2022 9:36 AM CDT
Amid 100 Statues at Capitol, She's the 11th Woman
Statue of Kansas-born aviator Amelia Earhart unveiled at US Capitol's Statuary Hall
- A statue of Amelia Earhart—the famed aviator who became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1932—was unveiled at the US Capitol on Wednesday, where it will serve as "an inspiration for all," said Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly. The 7-foot-tall bronze statue is...
At Least 2K Cattle Die
When Kansas Heat Spikes
Jun 17, 2022 12:07 AM CDT
At Least 2K Cattle Die When Kansas Heat Spikes
'This is a one in 10-year, 20-year type event'
- Thousands of cattle in feedlots in southwestern Kansas have died of heat stress due to soaring temperatures, high humidity, and little wind in recent days, industry officials said. The final toll remains unclear, but as of Thursday at least 2,000 heat-related deaths had been reported to the Kansas Department...
Husband Charged With
Murder of Former Soccer Star
May 19, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Husband Charged With Murder of Former Soccer Star
University of Kansas mourns Regan Gibbs
- The husband of former Universty of Kansas soccer star Regan Gibbs was arrested after he called 911 and her body was found in their Lawrence apartment. The Lawrence Police Department says Chad Marek, 26, was arrested at the scene and "domestic violence is being investigated as a contributing factor,...
Another Woman Who Fled
With Inmate Explains Mindset
May 6, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Another Woman Who Fled With Inmate Explains Mindset
Toby Dorr spent 12 days on the run with Kansas prisoner in 2006
- Toby Dorr thinks she has a pretty good understanding of why jail supervisor Vicky White might have gone on the run with an inmate in an Alabama county lockup. Authorities are searching for White and inmate Casey White, who are not related, after they fled last Friday. "People were...
Friday Night Twister
Slams Into Wichita
Apr 30, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Friday Night Twister Slams Into Wichita
And other parts of Kansas, where some homes were 'completely blown away' by twister
- A tornado that barreled through parts of Kansas damaged multiple buildings, injured several people, and left more than 6,500 people without power, officials said Saturday. Officials said the twister moved through parts of southeast Wichita and Andover on Friday evening, per the AP . Andover Fire Chief Chad Russell said...
Man Sues for $93M
Mar 19, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Wrongfully Imprisoned Man Sues for $93M
Lamonte McIntyre, whose mother says detective coerced her into sex, served 23 years
- A Kansas man who served 23 years in prison for a double murder he did not commit is seeking $93 million in damages from the county where he was convicted and a former detective he says framed him. Lamonte McIntyre, 45, and his mother allege in a lawsuit filed in...
Body of Missing Girl
in Kentucky Is Discovered
Feb 21, 2022 8:12 AM CST
Body of Missing Girl in Kentucky Is Discovered
Mother, boyfriend charged in death of 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney
A sad end to the long search for 4-year-old Serenity Ann McKinney in Kentucky—authorities have found her body in a wooded area, reports WAVE . Serenity was last seen alive on Christmas Eve of 2020. Her mother, 21-year-old Catherine McKinney of Shepherdsville, and her mother's boyfriend, 26-year-old Dakota...
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
Kansas Man Charged
With Threats Against Biden
Jan 29, 2022 2:20 PM CST
Kansas Man Charged With Threats Against Biden
Accused was 'coming for' president, authorities say
- A Kansas man has been accused of threatening to visit the White House to kill President Biden, reports the Daily Beast . Scott Ryan Merryman is charged with interstate communication containing a threat to harm and threats against the president of the United States, according to a criminal complaint filed by...
DA Won't File Charges in
Teen's Death in Custody
Jan 19, 2022 1:35 PM CST
DA Won't File Charges in Teen's Death in Custody
Kansas DA cites Stand Your Ground law in Cedric Lofton case
: No charges will be filed in the death of 17-year-old Cedric Lofton at a juvenile center in Kansas in September, a district attorney said Wednesday, citing the state's Stand Your Ground law. Sedgwick County DA Marc Bennett said detention center employees who shackled the teen and left him...
Woman Marks 100th Birthday
With Her Centenarian Sisters
Dec 6, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Woman Marks 100th Birthday With Her Centenarian Sisters
Lucy Pochop, 102, and Julia Kopriva, 104, helped little sister Frances Kompus celebrate her big day
- Is there something in the water in Kansas? On Nov. 11, Frances Kompus marked her 100th birthday, celebrating with about 50 others at a party in Atwood. Also attending her centenarian soiree: her sisters Lucy Pochop, who turned 102 in June, and Julia Kopriva, who reached her 104th birthday in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Raphael Warnock Wins Georgia Runoff Election
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.