Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Rioter Who Brought
Convicted With Son
Jun 15, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Rioter Who Brought Confederate Flag Convicted With Son
Judge finds Kevin and Hunter Seefried guilty on felony count
: A federal judge on Wednesday convicted a Confederate flag-toting man and his son of charges that they stormed the US Capitol together on Jan. 6, 2021, to obstruct Congress from certifying President Biden's electoral victory. US District Judge Trevor McFadden, a Donald Trump appointee, delivered the verdict after...
FBI Arrests GOP Candidate
for Governor in Michigan
Jun 9, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
FBI Arrests GOP Candidate for Governor in Michigan
Ryan Kelley charged over his alleged participation in the Capitol riot
- The latest arrest related to the Capitol riot is a doozy—it just happens to be the leading GOP candidate for governor in Michigan. The FBI arrested Ryan Kelley at his home in Allendale on Thursday after executing a search warrant, reports the
. Among other things, the criminal...
Victims Go After
FBI for $1B
Jun 8, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Simone Biles, Other Nassar Victims Go After FBI for $1B
'Time for the FBI to be held accountable'
- Former Olympic gymnasts, including gold medalist Simone Biles, are among dozens of assault victims who are seeking more than $1 billion from the FBI for failing to stop sports doctor Larry Nassar, lawyers said Wednesday. There's no dispute that FBI agents in 2015 knew that Nassar was accused of...
Critics Slam 'Infuriating'
DOJ Ruling in Nassar Case
May 27, 2022 8:18 AM CDT
Critics Slam 'Infuriating' DOJ Ruling in Nassar Case
Department won't charge FBI agents accused of not properly investigating sex abuse allegations
- Two ex-FBI agents tangled up in the Larry Nassar case won't see charges brought against them by the Justice Department. The DOJ said as much on Thursday, noting in a release that, "after multiple reviews and analyses of evidence," it won't be pursuing a criminal case...
May 22, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
FBI Warns of Sexual Extortion's Tragic Toll
Young male victims sometimes only see shame, experts say, and can't find a way out
- The FBI is increasing its efforts to warn parents and teenagers about sexual extortion scams that are leaving young people consumed by shame and, in some cases, pushed to commit suicide. The crime is not rare: Officials say more than 18,000 complaints related to what they call sextortion were...
Emmett Till's Relatives:
Reopen the Case
Mar 11, 2022 1:38 PM CST
Emmett Till's Relatives: Reopen the Case
Federal officials closed the investigation last year
Relatives of Emmett Till joined with supporters Friday in asking federal authorities to reverse their decision to close an investigation of his 1955 lynching and instead prosecute a white woman at the center of the case from the very beginning. Relatives said they would present Mississippi authorities with a...
SIM Swaps Are on the Rise
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 26, 2022 6:00 PM CST
SIM Swaps Are on the Rise
The sophisticated scam cost people $68M last year
- Beware the SIM swap. The FBI says the sophisticated scam that involves hackers getting access to first your cell phone and then your financial accounts is on the rise, Fox News reports. It starts with scammers getting someone's personal details, which can be done via phishing emails, phishing calls,...
Phony 'Hollywood Success
Story' Sentenced to 20 Years
Feb 15, 2022 11:21 AM CST
Phony 'Hollywood Success Story' Sentenced to 20 Years
Actor Zachary Horwitz, aka Zach Avery, hears his fate after bilking investors in $650M Ponzi scheme
A Hollywood actor accused of running a multimillion-dollar Ponzi scheme was sentenced Monday to 20 years behind bars in federal prison, reports CNN Business . Per a DOJ release , Zachary Horwitz (aka Zach Avery), 35, was ordered by Judge Mark C. Scarsi, of the US District Court for the Central...
FBI Warns of
'Route 91 Bandit':
'We Need to Put
a Stop to This'
Feb 14, 2022 7:00 AM CST
FBI Warns of 'Route 91 Bandit': 'We Need to Put a Stop to This'
$10K reward for perp who's hit nearly a dozen banks along New England interstate
- His disguise is no more elaborate than a coronavirus-preventing face mask (usually not worn properly, hanging underneath his nose), but the man dubbed the "Route 91 Bandit" has still managed to pull off nearly a dozen bank robberies throughout New England over the past several months. Now, the FBI...
After Years Undercover Among
Neo-Nazis, He Is 'Haunted'
Feb 6, 2022 3:45 PM CST
After Years Undercover Among Neo-Nazis, He Is 'Haunted'
'Rolling Stone' profiles a retired FBI specialist
- The retired FBI agent profiled in
is identified only as Scott B, for good reason: He spent 25 years undercover, infiltrating biker gangs and the like before moving to the agency's domestic terrorism division. That's when he started posing as a white supremacist to infiltrate gangs...
FBI: He Thought 'Time and
Distance' Were on His Side
Feb 5, 2022 6:00 AM CST
FBI: He Thought 'Time and Distance' Were on His Side
Octaviano Juarez-Corro, on FBI's 'Most Wanted' list for murder, caught after 16 years on the run
- Octaviano Juarez-Corro's time on the lam has come to a close. The 47-year-old from Milwaukee, a double-murder suspect on the FBI's "Ten Most Wanted Fugitives" list who's been on the run for 16 years, was caught and arrested Thursday in Zapopan, Mexico, the FBI announced Friday,...
a New Level'
Feb 2, 2022 12:30 PM CST
FBI Director: China's Spying Has 'Reached a New Level'
Country has stolen more data 'than every other country combined'
- FBI Director Christopher Wray says China's economic espionage campaign is more damaging than ever, which is saying something, considering the scale of the Chinese government's spying stunned Wray when he became FBI director in 2017. "This one blew me away. And I'm not the kind of...
FBI Has Ominous
Advice for Olympians
Feb 2, 2022 8:00 AM CST
FBI Has Ominous Advice for Olympians
Bureau tells athletes to use burner phones, warns of 'malicious cyber activities' in China
- The FBI is urging Olympic athletes to use burner phones while in China over fears that they might otherwise be tracked. "The FBI urges all athletes to keep their personal cell phones at home and use a temporary phone while at the Games," the agency says. It adds...
FBI Hunts Bank Robber
Dubbed 'Green Gaiter Bandit'
Jan 28, 2022 10:54 AM CST
FBI Hunts Bank Robber Dubbed 'Green Gaiter Bandit'
FBI says he's responsible for 14 robberies or attempts in California since October
- The FBI is seeking help in identifying a bank robber in Southern California dubbed the " Green Gaiter Bandit ." Wearing a neck gaiter or face covering, often in the color green, the 6-foot-tall middle-aged white male has committed more than a dozen robberies or attempted robberies at banks in...
FBI: Laundrie Took
in His Notebook
Jan 21, 2022 5:42 PM CST
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
Investigation into Gabby Petito's killing will close soon, agents say
- A notebook kept by Brian Laundrie made his guilt clear in the slaying of Gabby Petito, the FBI announced Friday. The Denver field office said the investigation into the death of the 22-year-old Florida woman will be closed shortly, per CNN . "All logical investigative steps have been concluded in...
Jan 20, 2022 7:56 AM CST
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
Agents seen removing computer, other items from Henry Cuellar's Laredo residence
- FBI agents searched the home of longtime congressman Rep. Henry Cuellar in Laredo, Texas, on Wednesday. The bureau confirmed it was "conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity" at the residence of the moderate Democrat, but said it "cannot provide further comment on an ongoing investigation," per CNN . A...
Treasure Hunters Sue to
Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Jan 5, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Treasure Hunters Sue to Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Dennis, Kem Parada think they found gold lost in 1863, told FBI of it
- Treasure hunters who believe they located a huge cache of fabled Civil War-era gold in Pennsylvania are now on the prowl for something as elusive as the buried booty itself: government records of the FBI's excavation. Finders Keepers filed a federal lawsuit against the Justice Department over its failure...
Another Zodiac Killer? FBI On
Alert Over Albany Letters
Dec 12, 2021 7:15 AM CST
Another Zodiac Killer? FBI On Alert Over Albany Letters
Media outlets contacted by self-proclaimed 'Chinese Zodiac Killer'
- The FBI is on alert in upstate New York after multiple news media outlets reportedly received letters from a writer claiming to be the "Chinese Zodiac Killer." Per the
Albany Times Union
, the Bureau is investigating incidents at several television stations in the New York capital and notified...
Vaccine Lab Worker Cleaning
Freezer Makes Disturbing Find
in case you missed it
Nov 21, 2021 4:29 PM CST
Vaccine Lab Worker Cleaning Freezer Makes Disturbing Find
FBI, CDC investigating 15 'questionable vials,' some labeled 'smallpox,' found at Merck facility near Philly
- What started out as a routine chore in a Pennsylvania vaccine research lab this week has ended up attracting the attention of the FBI and CDC. According to an alert sent out Tuesday by the Department of Homeland Security, a worker at a Merck facility near Philly, in Montgomery County,...
Police: Teenage Thief
Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Nov 17, 2021 6:16 PM CST
Police: Teenage Thief Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Canadian scammer intercepted authentication request, investigators say
- A cross-border investigation has led to the arrest of a teenager in Canada suspected of a cryptocurrency theft of more than $36 million US from a single person. Officials called it the largest cryptocurrency scam involving one person in Canadian history, CTV News reports. Police did not release the age...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
'Tragic, Freak Accident' in SC Pond Also a Rare One
California's Biggest Landowner Closes Forests to Public
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.