Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
College Puts 'Stake in the
Ground' on Abortion Access
Oct 7, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
College Puts 'Stake in the Ground' on Abortion Access
Private women's college Barnard will offer abortion pills to students beginning Sept. 2023
- Barnard College says it will begin offering abortion pills to its students beginning in September 2023. The private women's college in Manhattan, which operates in partnership with Columbia University, made the announcement Thursday, saying it was preparing in case roadblocks were erected to abortion access in New York. "...
The Tragedy of
Tessa Majors' Murder
Mar 24, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
The Tragedy of Tessa Majors' Murder
'New York' examines 2019 slaying of Barnard freshman
- The details of the crime itself aren't in much dispute: Police say three boys, ages 13 and 14, robbed 18-year-old Tessa Majors in New York City's Morningside Park on the evening of December 11, 2019, and one of them fatally stabbed her when she put up a struggle....
Slain Student's Plea:
'Help Me, I'm Being Robbed!'
Feb 15, 2020 1:59 PM CST
Slain Student's Plea: 'Help Me, I'm Being Robbed!'
Juvenile is arrested, will be tried for murder as an adult in killing of Tessa Majors
- Two months after a Barnard College freshman was stabbed to death in a New York City park, police say they've caught the killer. The 14-year-old, identified as Rashaun Weaver, will be tried as an adult on charges of second-degree murder and robbery in the death of 18-year-old Tessa Majors,...
After NYPD's Unusual Step
in Murder Case, an Arrest
Dec 26, 2019 12:04 PM CST
After NYPD's Unusual Step in Murder Case, an Arrest
Cops nab 14-year-old suspect in Tessa Majors case
- New York City police say they've located a 14-year-old boy suspected of fatally stabbing a Barnard College freshman as she walked through a park near the school. Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison tweeted Thursday that the boy had been found but gave no other details, the AP reports. He'...
Suspect in Murder of
NYC Student Flees
on Way to Questioning
Dec 17, 2019 6:22 AM CST
Suspect in Murder of NYC Student Flees on Way to Questioning
14-year-old was being driven to police precinct
- Police in New York City are searching for a 14-year-old suspect in the murder of Barnard College student Tessa Majors who was supposed to come in for questioning Monday. Sources tell the
New York Daily News
that the teenager was being driven to a police precinct Monday afternoon by either...
NYC Mayor Slams 'Infuriating'
Claim on Murdered Student
Dec 16, 2019 8:43 AM CST
NYC Mayor Slams 'Infuriating' Claim on Murdered Student
Bill de Blasio says NYPD union chief shouldn't be 'shaming' Tessa Majors with marijuana claim
- A 13-year-old suspect is in custody related to the murder of Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors , with police still seeking other suspects, but her killing has become what the
New York Daily News
calls a "political football," drawing in New York City's mayor, the head of the...
Police Arrest 13-Year-Old
in Murder of Barnard Student
Dec 13, 2019 8:20 AM CST
Police Arrest 13-Year-Old in Murder of Barnard Student
Other suspects sought in stabbing death of Tessa Majors
- Police have arrested a 13-year-old in the stabbing death of 18-year-old Barnard College freshman Tessa Majors, reports ABC News . Authorities are looking for other suspects in the attack, which took place Wednesday evening in Morningside Park, located near the New York City campus. Police say they think it was a...
Teen Stabbing Victim Made It
to Security Booth. It Was Empty
Dec 12, 2019 10:20 AM CST
Teen Stabbing Victim Made It to Security Booth. It Was Empty
Teens questioned in fatal attack in Manhattan's Morningside Park
- Manhattan police are questioning several teens in the stabbing death of an 18-year-old Barnard College freshman. A school security guard found Tessa Majors of Charlottesville, Va., stabbed multiple times in Morningside Park around 5:30pm Wednesday, per the
New York Post
. She was pronounced dead at a hospital. The
Obama's Our First
May 15, 2012 9:05 AM CDT
Obama's Our First Woman President
Dana Milbank thinks Obama's taking the pandering just a bit too far
- Good news, Barack Obama. You may not be the first black president (that would be Bill Clinton), but you are the first gay one , and apparently the first woman, too. That's how Dana Milbank of the
is interpreting yesterday's schedule. Eager to exploit his advantage over...
Derided Goldman Boss
Backs Out of Barnard Speech
Oct 11, 2011 4:58 AM CDT
Derided Goldman Boss Backs Out of Barnard Speech
Scheduling conflict cited as protests loomed
- Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein has pulled out of a controversial lecture at Manhattan's Barnard College. Students at the Columbia University-affiliated institution had planned protests and workshops to coincide with Blankfein's visit, declaring the week to be "School the Squid" week, in reference to
Meryl Streep Happy
Men Are Evolving
May 18, 2010 7:15 PM CDT
Meryl Streep Happy Men Are Evolving
'Bout time,' she tells Barnard graduates
- Men aren't quite the Neanderthals they used to be, says Meryl Streep, and she can tell by reaction to her film roles. Guys used to like her meek character in the
, but now they're comfortable with her turn as ice princess Miranda Priestly in the
Devil Wears Prada
Dog's 'Guilty' Look
Is All in
Jun 12, 2009 2:41 PM CDT
Dog's 'Guilty' Look Is All in
- You can tell when Rover’s misbehaved by that guilty look on his face, right? Ruff—er, wrong, researchers say. If owners believed their dogs had misbehaved, they projected that famed "guilty" expression onto the animals’ faces regardless of whether any rule-breaking had happened, a new study says. Any...
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
As Elections Approach, Musk's X Makes a 'Concerning' Move
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.