Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Environmental Protection Agency
Stories 21 - 40 |
EPA Makes Contentious
Decision on 'Cyanide Bombs'
Aug 9, 2019 7:28 AM CDT
EPA Makes Contentious Decision on 'Cyanide Bombs'
Trump administration reauthorizes M-44 traps to kill predator wildlife
- The Environmental Protection Agency has just reupped authorization of a controversial device designed to protect livestock from predators, but which critics call a "safety menace" against other animals and humans. CBS News reports the EPA has given the green light for the USDA's Wildlife Services, as well as...
Climate Rule Is Dead
Jun 19, 2019 12:02 PM CDT
Obama's Landmark Climate Rule Is Dead
EPA chief Andrew Wheeler signed replacement rule Wednesday
- The Trump administration on Wednesday completed one of its biggest rollbacks of environmental rules, replacing a landmark Obama-era effort that sought to wean the nation's electrical grid off coal-fired power plants and their climate-damaging pollution. EPA chief Andrew Wheeler, a former coal industry lobbyist, signed a replacement rule that...
Watchdog: Massive Spending
on Pruitt's Security Not Justified
Sep 4, 2018 4:49 PM CDT
Watchdog: Massive Spending on Pruitt's Security Not Justified
Office of the Inspector General report released
- A whopping $3.5 million was spent on round-the-clock security for former EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt, one of many agency expenditures that made waves before Pruitt departed the role in July—and a new report from the EPA's internal watchdog says the agency failed to prove the security spending...
Pruitt Placed Single Call
From His $43K Phone Booth
Aug 21, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Pruitt Placed Single Call From His $43K Phone Booth
How many incoming calls the former EPA head received is unknown
- Scott Pruitt is no longer head of the Environmental Protection Agency, but the saga of his $43,000 phone booth isn't quite over. The
is out with one last financial tidbit courtesy of the Sierra Club, which sued the EPA to access records related to Pruitt. It...
Chemical Found in
Popular Breakfast Foods
Aug 16, 2018 8:56 AM CDT
Weed-Killing Chemical Found in Popular Breakfast Foods
Traces fall below EPA limits
- You could be ingesting the active ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup for breakfast, per a report identifying traces of the chemical glyphosate in Cheerios, Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, and Great Value Instant Oats, plus more products marketed to kids. The nonprofit Environmental Working Group tested 45 oat-based products like granolas...
'Law and Order'
Trump Is Softer
On One Class
Jul 28, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
'Law and Order' Trump Is Softer On One Class of Offender
Public Citizen sees profound drop in corporate penalties
- While Donald Trump has positioned himself as a tough, "law and order" president, he has mostly excluded one group of offenders from his sights: those of the corporate class, according to a report released Wednesday by Washington-based watchdog Public Citizen . The report found that in 11 of the 12...
Watchdog to EPA:
You Need to Do Better
After Flint Crisis
Jul 19, 2018 2:01 PM CDT
Watchdog to EPA: You Need to Do Better After Flint Crisis
Federal watchdog calls on EPA to strengthen its oversight of state drinking water systems
- A federal watchdog is calling on the Environmental Protection Agency to strengthen its oversight of state drinking water systems in the wake of the lead crisis in Flint, Michigan, the AP reports. The EPA's Office of Inspector General says in a report that the agency must take steps now...
Was an 'Embarrassing'
Story Pruitt's Undoing?
Jul 6, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
Was an 'Embarrassing' Story Pruitt's Undoing?
And more on EPA administrator's sudden 'resignation'
- There was no "final straw" that led to the departure of Scott Pruitt from the EPA, per President Trump, who says it was Pruitt who asked to step down, the
reports. "It was very much up to him," Trump said when pressed by reporters about Thursday'...
Woman With Toddler
Confronts Pruitt During Lunch
Jul 3, 2018 2:37 AM CDT
Woman With Toddler Confronts Pruitt During Lunch
She tells EPA chief he should resign
- Scott Pruitt became the latest Trump administration official to have an uncomfortable dining experience when he was confronted Monday by a woman—and her 2-year-old son. Kristin Mink says Pruitt was three tables away from her when she had lunch at the Teaism restaurant in Washington, DC, and she decided...
Broke EPA Rules
Jun 7, 2018 7:53 AM CDT
Renovations Broke EPA Rules
Magnolia Homes will pay $40K fine in settlement
stars Chip and Joanna Gaines are having to pay up for EPA violations seen on their hit HGTV show. The couple's business, Magnolia Homes, has agreed to pay a $40,000 fine after the EPA determined 33 of its home renovations were "conducted without adequate lead...
Latest Pruitt Revelation
Jun 5, 2018 3:52 PM CDT
Latest Pruitt Revelation Involves Chick-fil-A
EPA head used aide to help him as he tried to get his wife a franchisee position
- The latest odd revelation in the saga of Scott Pruitt's activities since becoming the head of the Environmental Protection Agency: Pruitt at one point attempted to use "his official position and EPA staff" to get his wife a job, as the
puts it. That job? Chick-fil-A...
The EPA Spent $1,560 on
a Dozen Fountain Pens
Jun 2, 2018 5:30 AM CDT
The EPA Spent $1,560 on a Dozen Fountain Pens
Plus $1,670 on personalized journals
- More controversial expenditures at the Environmental Protection Agency have been revealed thanks to a Freedom of Information Act request: Last year, one of EPA chief Scott Pruitt's top aides spent $1,560 on fountain pens and $1,670 on personalized journals, the
reports. The order from Tiny...
AP Reporter Grabbed,
Shoved Out of EPA Building
May 22, 2018 4:35 PM CDT
AP Reporter Grabbed, Shoved Out of EPA Building
EPA has since reversed course, allowed reporters into meeting
- The Environmental Protection Agency reversed course Tuesday and allowed a reporter for the Associated Press to cover a meeting on water contaminants after she was earlier grabbed by the shoulders and shoved out of the building by a security guard, the AP reports. The AP journalist, Ellen Knickmeyer, said that...
17 States Sue Over
EPA Move on Gas Mileage
May 2, 2018 2:27 AM CDT
17 States Sue Over EPA Move on Gas Mileage
Agency plans to drop emissions standards
- California and 16 other states sued the Trump administration Tuesday over its plan to scrap Obama-era auto-emissions standards that would require vehicles to get significantly higher gas mileage by 2025. At issue is a move by Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt to roll back 2012 rules aimed at curbing...
Congressman to Pruitt: If I Were
Your Boss, 'I'd Get Rid of You'
Apr 27, 2018 2:36 AM CDT
Congressman to Pruitt: If I Were Your Boss, 'I'd Get Rid of You'
EPA administrator blames scandals on staffers, Trump enemies
- Scott Pruitt blamed staffers, the media, his job's "steep learning curve," and President Trump's enemies for numerous controversies during hours of testimony before Congress Thursday. "Let me be very clear: I have nothing to hide as its relates to how I've run the agency...
White House Investigates
Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth
Apr 19, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
White House Investigates Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth
39 senators call for EPA chief to step down
- Scott Pruitt's week isn't getting any easier: White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Wednesday that he's planning to investigate the embattled EPA chief's activities, which include allegedly violating the law by spending $43,000 in taxpayer funds on a soundproof phone booth for his office,...
$43K Phone Booth
Broke the Law
Apr 16, 2018 1:54 PM CDT
Scott Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth Broke the Law
Because the EPA didn't notify Congress, a government watchdog finds
- It may be a fresh week for Scott Pruitt , but it's not one void of uncomfortable headlines. ABC News reports a government watchdog has determined the EPA "violated section 710” of the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act when it spent $43,000 on a "secure"...
Scott Pruitt Has 20-Member
Full-Time Security Detail
Apr 9, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
Scott Pruitt Has 20-Member Full-Time Security Detail
AP reports that's more than 3 times the part-time contingent his predecessor had
- Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt's concern with his safety came at a steep cost to taxpayers as his swollen security detail blew through overtime budgets and at times diverted officers away from investigating environmental crimes. Altogether, the agency spent millions of dollars for a 20-member full-time detail that...
EPA Chief Pruitt
Apr 5, 2018 6:57 PM CDT
Trump Praises EPA Chief Pruitt Amidst Controversy
Other White House officials don't sound so sure about his future
- White House officials sounded increasingly doubtful Thursday about the future of embattled Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt, even as President Donald Trump appeared to throw him a public lifeline, the AP reports. Speaking Thursday to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump used a series of superlatives to describe Pruitt....
Mar 31, 2018 11:12 AM CDT
White House Stewing Over Scott Pruitt's Condo Rental
'His goose is cooked,' says EPA source
- Scott Pruitt may be in hot water again—now for renting an apartment from the wife of an energy lobbyist who's had business with the Environmental Protection Agency, CNN reports. Pruitt, who heads the EPA, leased a room in the Washington, DC, condo for just $50 a night on...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.