Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
With Less Than 5 Hours to Go,
Texas Court Halts Execution
Oct 27, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
With Less Than 5 Hours to Go, Texas Court Halts Execution
Victim's sister asked state to spare the life of William Speer
- Texas' top criminal appeals court stopped Thursday evening's scheduled execution of an inmate who had been condemned for killing another prisoner more than 26 years ago. The victim's sister and religious leaders had recently asked authorities to spare the life of William Speer, 49. His attorneys had asked...
Gets Its Hands on
Death Penalty Drug
Sep 20, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
South Carolina Gets Its Hands on Death Penalty Drug
State has obtained pentobarbital to carry out lethal injections, will resume executions after 12 years
- South Carolina has obtained a drug needed to carry out lethal injections and is ready to perform the state's first execution in over 12 years, officials announced Tuesday. South Carolina used to be one of the most prolific states in the nation when it came to putting inmates to...
Alabama Wants to Be First
With a Nitrogen Execution
Aug 27, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Alabama Wants to Be First With a Nitrogen Execution
State seeks permission to use the method critics call experimental
- Alabama is seeking to become the first state to execute a prisoner by making him breathe pure nitrogen. The Alabama attorney general's office has asked the state Supreme Court to set an execution date for death row inmate Kenneth Eugene Smith, 58, per the AP . The court filing indicated...
Aug 10, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Governor Slams 'Absurd' Reason for Rebuffing Death-Row Inmates
Louisiana's John Bel Edwards asks pardons board to commute death sentences for 56 prisoners
- A mass petition from 56 Louisiana inmates seeking commutations from their death sentences has seemingly made its way to Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards, who this week sent a letter to the state's Board of Pardons to ask for movement on this front. Per the Louisiana Radio Network , the...
Synagogue Shooter Is
Given Death Sentence
Aug 2, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooter Is Given Death Sentence
Robert Bowers killed 11 people in Pittsburgh in 2018, the nation's deadliest antisemitic attack
- The gunman who stormed a synagogue in the heart of Pittsburgh's Jewish community and killed 11 worshippers will be sentenced to death for perpetrating the deadliest antisemitic attack in US history. The same federal jury that convicted 50-year-old truck driver Robert Bowers on 63 criminal counts recommended Wednesday that...
Due to Be Executed
Jul 19, 2023 12:30 AM CDT
Due to Be Executed After Botched Lethal Injections, He's Concerned
James Barber says he feels 'trepidation,' but not fear, over what's to come
- James Barber is set to be put to death in Alabama Thursday night unless an appeals court intervenes, and he will be the first prisoner the state executes since a series of botched lethal injection and lethal injection attempts led to a temporary halt in executions that started in November...
This Country Now Has One of
the Toughest Anti-LGBTQ Laws
May 29, 2023 9:46 AM CDT
This Country Now Has One of the Toughest Anti-LGBTQ Laws
Despite outcry over bill passed nearly unanimously in March, Uganda's president signs it into law
- Uganda just became a decidedly hostile place for the LGBTQ+ community: As Reuters reports, President Yoweri Museveni just signed into law one of the globe's harshest anti-gay measures, and it includes the death penalty for "aggravated homosexuality," serial offenders of the law, and those who transmit diseases...
Was Put to Death.
It's Not the Answer
May 27, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
My Brother Was Put to Death. It's Not the Answer
Robert Towery was executed in 2012; Christine Towery was there
- Christine Towery's first memory is an awful one: of her baby brother bound, with duct tape on his mouth, on the floor of the family car. Towery was so terrified her mother would kill her if she moved to help him that she didn't. It was an abuse-filled...
Supreme Court Sides With
Alabama Death Row Inmate
May 16, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Alabama Death Row Inmate
Says Kenneth Smith should be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia
- The US Supreme Court on Monday sided with an Alabama death row inmate, who had his lethal injection called off at the last minute in November, and argues he should be put to death by nitrogen hypoxia when he is ultimately executed, the AP reports. Justices without comment rejected the...
Executed in Florida
Apr 13, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
'Ninja Killer' Executed in Florida
Louis Bernard Gaskin, 56, wore ninja clothing during 1989 double murder
- Florida executed a man known as the “ninja killer” on Wednesday for the 1989 slayings of a couple visiting the state from New Jersey, the AP reports. Louis Bernard Gaskin, 56, was pronounced dead at 6:15pm after receiving a lethal injection, the governor’s office said. He was...
Despite Promise, Biden Retains
Trump's Death Sentence Zeal
Mar 26, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Despite Promise, Biden Retains Trump's Death Sentence Zeal
Defense lawyers say they see no change in direction from the Justice Department
- Rejon Taylor hoped the election of Joe Biden, the first US president to campaign on a pledge to end the death penalty, would mean a more sympathetic look at his claims that racial bias and other trial errors landed him on federal death row in Terre Haute, Indiana. But two...
Idaho Poised to Allow
Mar 20, 2023 3:07 PM CDT
Idaho Poised to Allow Firing-Squad Executions
Bill is headed for governor's desk
- Idaho is poised to allow firing squads to execute condemned inmates when the state can't get lethal-injection drugs, under a bill the Legislature passed Monday with a veto-proof majority. Firing squads will be used only if the state cannot obtain the drugs needed for lethal injections—and one death...
Virginia Execution Tapes
Capture Convicts' Last Words
Mar 8, 2023 5:00 PM CST
Virginia Execution Tapes Capture Convicts' Last Words
State won't release recordings despite open records request
- On a 1989 audio recording crackling with static, an inmate is barely audible as he offers his last words before he is executed in Virginia's electric chair. "I would like to express that what is about to take place ... is a murder," Alton Waye—who was convicted...
Man Who Killed His Wife
and Her 6-Year-Old
Apologizes Before Execution
Mar 8, 2023 12:23 AM CST
Man Who Killed His Wife and Her 6-Year-Old Apologizes Before Execution
Gary Green, 51, put to death in Texas
- A Texas inmate convicted of fatally stabbing his estranged wife and drowning her 6-year-old daughter in a bathtub nearly 14 years ago was executed on Tuesday, the AP reports. Gary Green, 51, received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the September 2009 deaths...
In This State, a Move Forward
on a New Execution Method
Feb 17, 2023 12:58 PM CST
In This State, a Move Forward on a New Execution Method
Alabama says it's 'close' on protocol for using nitrogen gas to put inmates to death
- The head of Alabama's prison system said Wednesday that a protocol for using nitrogen gas to carry out executions should be finished this year. "We're close. We're close," John Hamm, commissioner of the state's Department of Corrections, said of the new execution method that...
Pennsylvania Governor Does
a 180 on Death Penalty
Feb 17, 2023 7:42 AM CST
Pennsylvania Governor Does a 180 on Death Penalty
Democrat Josh Shapiro says he wants it abolished for good, won't sign any execution warrants
- Josh Shapiro was once a supporter of the death penalty, including for the suspected gunman in the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Philadelphia in 2018. Now, the Democratic governor of Pennsylvania says his views on capital punishment have shifted, and that he won't be signing any execution warrants...
Feds Won't Seek Death for
Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Jan 18, 2023 7:56 AM CST
Feds Won't Seek Death for Shooter Accused of Killing 23
Patrick Crusius accused of opening fire at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, in 2019
- Federal prosecutors will not seek the death penalty for a man accused of fatally shooting nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at a West Texas Walmart in 2019, per the AP . The Department of Justice disclosed the decision not to pursue capital punishment against Patrick Crusius in a...
Oklahoma to Allow
in Death Chamber
Jan 12, 2023 4:21 AM CST
Oklahoma to Allow Anti-Execution Minister in Death Chamber
U-turn will prevent delay to execution of Scott Eizember, officials say
- Oklahoma prison officials said Wednesday that they will allow an anti-death penalty minister with a history of protest-related arrests inside the execution chamber for Thursday's lethal injection of death row inmate Scott Eizember. Department of Corrections Director Steven Harpe said he reversed his earlier decision not to allow the...
Jan 4, 2023 1:04 AM CST
US Executes First Transgender Inmate
Missouri puts transgender woman to death
- A Missouri inmate was put to death Tuesday for a 2003 killing, in what is believed to be the first execution of a transgender woman in the US, the AP reports. (It's thought to be the country's first execution of any openly transgender person, male or female, CNN...
2022 Will Go Down
as the 'Year of the
Dec 26, 2022 5:00 PM CST
2022 Will Go Down as the 'Year of the Botched Execution'
35% of those attempted were 'visibly problematic'
- Among the various things we'll remember 2022 for, death penalty researchers add an ignoble item to the list: botched executions, and a lot of them. The Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC) in its year-end report found that the number of people who were executed in the US—18—was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.