Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'The Squad' Gets
Amid Increased Threats
Oct 13, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
'The Squad' Gets Security Briefing Amid Increased Threats
Threats against progressive lawmakers are up, sources say
- Since the Hamas attack on Israel, threats against some of the most progressive lawmakers have seen a "major uptick," according to the sources who spoke to Politico . Members of the House of Representatives' so-called "Squad" and other left-wing Democrats, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida...
Police 'Prepared' for
Aug 3, 2023 11:06 AM CDT
Police 'Prepared' for Trump Arraignment
Security boosted ahead of 4pm ET hearing in Washington
- Some online commenters have called for an "armed revolution" since Tuesday's indictment of former President Trump on four felony charges. But Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger doesn't expect much drama Thursday when Trump is arraigned at the federal courthouse in Washington, DC, where more than 1,000...
Capitol Police: 'Bogus Call'
Aug 2, 2023 4:27 PM CDT
Capitol Police: 'Bogus Call' Caused Lockdown
'We got nobody who actually heard shots and certainly no victims'
This story has been updated with new developments
. Authorities issued a shelter-in-place order and searched Senate office buildings near the US Capitol Wednesday afternoon after a report of an active shooter. The US Capitol Police announced on the X social media platform that the security response was prompted by a...
House GOP on
Jan. 6 Footage
Mar 18, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Capitol Police Lawyer Slams House GOP on Jan. 6 Footage
Attorney says Kevin McCarthy gave Tucker Carlson riot clips without police department approving them
- Tucker Carlson aired video from the Jan. 6 Capitol attack on his Fox News program earlier this month, courtesy of more than 40,000 hours of Capitol Police security footage handed over to him by Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy—what the
says was a "condition" Carlson...
Capitol Police Chief Slams
Carlson's 'Misleading' Show
Mar 7, 2023 9:35 PM CST
Capitol Police Chief Slams Carlson's 'Misleading' Show
He says Fox host 'conveniently cherry-picked' calm moments from 41K hours of footage
- Tucker Carlson's claim that previously unseen footage from the Capitol attack showed that Jan. 6 was "mostly peaceful chaos" and rioters were like "sightseers" was strongly rejected Tuesday by a top Republican and the Capitol's top cop. Deadline reports that in a letter to the Capitol...
In Maine Capitol,
Sky Is Literally Falling
Aug 16, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
In Maine Capitol, Sky Is Literally Falling
Or a mysterious metal object anyway
- A large metal object thought to have come from an airliner fell from the sky and nearly hit an officer on duty outside the Maine State House on Friday. The cylinder crashed to the ground with a loud bang just six to eight feet from Capitol Police officer Craig Donahue...
Won't Be Tried
Over Capitol Trip
Jul 18, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Colbert Staffers Won't Be Tried Over Capitol Trip
Prosecutors say conviction seemed unlikely
: The nine
staff members arrested at the US Capitol complex will not face trial on unlawful entry charges, federal prosecutors have decided. A spokesman said conviction seemed unlikely because the people arrested had been invited and weren't asked to leave by their escorts, the AP reports....
After Hearing, Capitol Rioter
Apologizes to Officers
Jul 12, 2022 8:57 PM CDT
After Hearing, Capitol Rioter Apologizes to Officers
The reaction from officers who defended building from mob was mixed
- A Capitol rioter testified at the House select committee hearing Tuesday—and later personally apologized to four law enforcement officers who tried to defend the building on Jan. 6 last year. After the hearing, Stephen Ayres apologized to Capitol Police officers Aquilino Gonell and Harry Dunn, DC Metropolitan Police officer...
Officer Recalls Seeing 'Deathly
Pale' Brian Sicknick at Riot
Jun 9, 2022 9:08 PM CDT
Officer Recalls Seeing 'Deathly Pale' Brian Sicknick at Riot
Caroline Edwards testifies about the 'war scene' at Capitol, and about fellow officer who died
- The House panel examining the Capitol riot called two witnesses Thursday night who had a first-hand look at the violence of Jan. 6, 2021. One was Capitol Police officer Caroline Edwards, who was injured in the violence. The other was filmmaker Nick Quested, who was at the Capitol working on...
Marjorie Taylor Greene Reports
Jimmy Kimmel to Police
Apr 7, 2022 11:37 AM CDT
Marjorie Taylor Greene Reports Jimmy Kimmel to Police
Late-night host says Will Smith reference was a joke, not a threat
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene did not take kindly to Jimmy Kimmel's suggestion that Will Smith could deal with the "Klan mom." In a Wednesday tweet , the congresswoman said she had referred the late-night host to Capitol Police for "this threat of violence against me." Kimmel...
'Aggressive' Fox Captured
on Capitol Grounds
Apr 5, 2022 6:29 PM CDT
'Aggressive' Fox Captured on Capitol Grounds
Rep. Ami Bera was among at least 6 people bitten or nipped in recent days
- An aggressive fox that had apparently been attacking people on the grounds of the Capitol is now in custody, police say. Capitol Police said Tuesday that they had received reports of "individuals being attacked or bitten by a fox" and there are "possibly several fox dens on Capitol...
Jan 8, 2022 3:20 PM CST
Documents: Capitol Police Misjudged Risk of Violence
Documents show clashing assessments warned of possible trouble and even 'war'
- Intelligence reports compiled by the US Capitol Police in the days before last year's insurrection envisioned only an improbable or remote risk of violence, even as other assessments warned that tens of thousands of pro-Trump demonstrators could converge in Washington to create a dangerous situation. The documents, obtained by...
More Officers Are Suing
Trump Over Capitol Riot
Jan 7, 2022 11:45 AM CST
More Officers Are Suing Trump Over Capitol Riot
They say they were injured by mob he incited
- Capitol Police officer Briana Kirkland filed a lawsuit against Donald Trump on Thursday—a year to the day since she was injured trying to defend the building from his supporters. The lawsuit describes Trump as the leader of the "violent mob," NBC reports. Trump, "by his words...
House Aide Arrested After
Gun Spotted in His Bag
Dec 9, 2021 12:47 PM CST
House Aide Arrested After Gun Spotted in His Bag
Jeffrey Allsbrooks tells police he forgot he had the weapon
- A congressional aide entered the Capitol complex with a gun Thursday morning, hours before President Biden, Vice President Harris, and congressional leaders were to attend a Capitol ceremony for the late Sen. Bob Dole. Capitol Police said 57-year-old Jeffrey Allsbrooks was tracked down and arrested "four minutes" after a...
Feds: Radio Host Caught
With Capitol Cop's Stolen Hat
Oct 19, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Feds: Radio Host Caught With Capitol Cop's Stolen Hat
Darrell Neely is facing numerous charges related to Jan. 6
- Federal authorities say a right-wing radio host stole a baseball cap worn by a US Capitol Police officer during the Jan. 6 riot, then wore it during a live airing of his show. Three witnesses at the Global Enlightenment Radio Network , run by Darrell Neely, told the FBI that Neely...
Capitol Officer Gave Rioter
a Legal Tip: Charges
Oct 15, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Capitol Officer Gave Rioter a Legal Tip: Charges
Michael Riley faces obstruction of justice indictment
- "Take down the part about being in the building," a Capitol Police officer advised a rioter on Jan. 7 who'd posted online about taking part in the attack the day before, new charges say. The rioters who went inside the Capitol will be charged, Michael Riley reportedly...
Security Forces Prepare
for Rally That Could Be Small
Sep 17, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Security Forces Prepare for Rally That Could Be Small
DC's delegate says police are overcompensating for January failures
- Police in Washington say they're much better prepared for the rally scheduled for Saturday than they were for the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, but DC's congressional representative doesn't find that comforting. The tall security fence is back up around the complex, and security officials have...
Capitol Fencing to Return
Before Pro-Rioter Rally
Sep 13, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Capitol Fencing to Return Before Pro-Rioter Rally
Police increase preparations to prevent another riot
- Security officials have stepped up their preparation for the rally planned for Saturday in support of the rioters who attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6. The temporary fencing around the building that was taken down over the summer will be back up by then, Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said...
Six Capitol Insurrection Officers
Recommended For Discipline
Sep 12, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Six Capitol Insurrection Officers Recommended For Discipline
'Violations were sustained'
- The US Capitol Police said Saturday it has recommended disciplinary action in six cases after an internal review of officer behavior stemming from the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol. The department's Office of Professional Responsibility opened 38 internal investigations and was able to identify 26 of...
Capitol Cops Are Braced for
Trouble at 'Justice for J6' Rally
Sep 9, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
Capitol Cops Are Braced for Trouble at 'Justice for J6' Rally
Fencing around building may be restored for Sept. 18
- Supporters of the hundreds of people arrested after the Jan. 6 Capitol attack are planning to gather outside the building on Sept. 18—and law enforcement agencies including the Capitol Police are braced for trouble at the "Justice for J6" rally. According to a Capitol Police memo seen by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.