Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Fast Car' Makes
Nov 9, 2023 8:31 AM CST
Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' Makes CMA History
She becomes first Black woman to win award as 35-year-old tune snags song of the year
- Tracy Chapman just became the first Black woman to win a Country Music Association award—for a song she penned 35 years ago. "Fast Car," which was first released in 1988 but found new popularity this year through a cover by country star Luke Combs , won the first...
'Fast Car' Cover Pushes
Tracy Chapman to
Country Music History
Jul 10, 2023 2:20 AM CDT
Luke Combs' 'Fast Car' Cover Pushes Tracy Chapman to Country Music History
She's the first Black female songwriter to hit No. 1 on Country Airplay chart
- Tracy Chapman is the first Black female songwriter to top Billboard's Country Airplay chart since it started in 1990—and the No. 1 spot is for a song she came out with two years before the chart even existed. "Fast Car" is, of course, experiencing quite a resurgence...
Tracy Chapman Scoops Up
$450K From Nicki Minaj in Suit
Jan 8, 2021 1:07 PM CST
Tracy Chapman Scoops Up $450K From Nicki Minaj in Suit
Controversy centered on Minaj's song 'Sorry' using lyrics from Chapman's 'Baby Can I Hold You'
- A copyright infringement lawsuit involving Nicki Minaj and Tracy Chapman has seemingly been put to rest. Per documents filed in a California federal court and reviewed by Pitchfork , Chapman, 56, who's best known for her late '80s hit "Fast Car," has accepted a $450,000 offer...
Tracy Chapman Sues to
Block Nicki Minaj Song
Oct 24, 2018 3:03 AM CDT
Tracy Chapman Sues to Block Nicki Minaj Song
She accuses Minaj of copyright infringement
- Rapper Nicki Minaj is being sued for sampling a Tracy Chapman song without permission. Chapman filed a copyright infringement lawsuit Monday in a Los Angeles federal court. The Grammy-winning singer says Minaj's unreleased track, "Sorry," incorporates the lyrics and vocal melody from her 1988 single, " Baby...
Rapper Now on
Jul 22, 2009 12:20 PM CDT
Once-Homeless Rapper Now on Mercury Shortlist
Speech Debelle has been compared to Lauryn Hill, Tracy Chapman
- A rapper who spent four years homeless in London is one of five female artists on the shortlist for Britain’s prestigious Mercury Prize, the
reports. Speech Debelle, kicked out of her house at 19, spent time in hostels and other drug-infested stops on the wrong side of London's...
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
The Financial Fallout Begins for Diddy
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.