Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest stories of dogs in the news on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
No One Knows Why
Dogs Are Contracting
Nov 18, 2023 11:30 AM CST
No One Knows Why Dogs Are Contracting Mystery Illness
Veterinary laboratories are looking into canine respiratory sickness popping up in multiple states
- Veterinary laboratories in several states are investigating an unusual respiratory illness in dogs and encouraging people to take basic precautions to keep their pets healthy as veterinarians try to pin down what's making the animals sick. Oregon, Colorado, and New Hampshire are among the states that have seen cases...
Hiker Missing 10 Weeks Found
Dead, His Dog Alive by His Side
Nov 14, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Hiker Missing 10 Weeks Found Dead, His Dog Alive by His Side
14-year-old Jack Russell terrier has been reunited with family
- On the evening of August 19, when hiker Rich Moore and his dog, Finney, failed to return from a hike in Colorado's San Juan Mountains, Moore was reported missing. Tragically, more than 10 weeks later, the 71-year-old's body was recently found. But, astonishingly, his 14-year-old Jack Russell terrier...
Dog Raises the Alarm
After Teen Has Stroke
Oct 25, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
Dog Raises the Alarm After Teen Has Stroke
Outcome would probably have been much worse without Axel's intervention, doctors say
- A teenager in Spring, Texas, who had a stroke in August would probably be in much worse shape today if it wasn't for Axel, a 1-year-old border collie who raised the alarm, doctors say. Amanda Tanner tells Today.com that Axel, adopted from a rescue group last year, was...
Adopts 'Hero' Dog
Named for Him
Oct 24, 2023 12:52 PM CDT
Rocker Adopts 'Hero' Dog Named for Him
Bret Michaels takes in canine Bret Michaels
- Bret Michaels has a new dog, also named Bret Michaels. It's actually quite a touching story, as told by
. Firstly, it's important to know that Michaels didn't name the dog himself. The Poison frontman only heard about the 6-year-old husky after the Nebraska Humane Society announced...
World's Oldest Dog
Dies at Age 31
Oct 23, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
World's Oldest Dog Dies at Age 31
Bobi of Portugal was the longest-lived pooch ever, according to Guinness World Records
- The longest-lived dog known to the world has died at the remarkable age of 31 years and 165 days, reports the
. The age of Bobi, who lived in Portugal, had been certified earlier this year by Guinness World Records, which christened him "the world's oldest dog ever....
Pentagon Official Has Allegedly
Been Dogfighting for 20 Years
Oct 5, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Pentagon Official Has Allegedly Been Dogfighting for 20 Years
Frederick Douglass Moorefield Jr. of communications team faces years in prison
- A senior member of the Pentagon communications staff has allegedly spent the last two decades taking part in a dogfighting ring. Last month, agencies including the FBI and Department of Agriculture raided the Maryland homes of Frederick Douglass Moorefield Jr. and a friend, Mario D. Flythe, finding they kept five...
Judge in Gaga
Oct 3, 2023 7:47 AM CDT
Judge in Gaga Case: Amended Suit 'Makes No Sense'
Ruling decides singer doesn't have to pay $500,000 reward to woman who returned her dogs
- In July, a Los Angeles judge dismissed the breach-of-contract complaint of a woman who claimed she was due a $500,000 reward for returning Lady Gaga's two dogs, stolen at gunpoint from the singer's dog walker in LA in February 2021. That woman, Jennifer McBride, now 53, whom...
11th Biting Incident
Sep 27, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Commander Has 11th Biting Incident
"First dog" bites another Secret Service officer
- Make that 11: "First dog" Commander bit another Secret Service officer this week, bringing the total number of bites he's doled out since October 2022 to 11. The 2-year-old German shepherd bit one of the service's uniformed division police officers Monday night at the White House, according...
Sep 25, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Couple Gets Refund Over Stinky Dog on Flight
New Zealand pair say they had to move from premium to economy over the smell
- A New Zealand couple who say they were subjected to a drooling, snorting, and farting dog on a long flight have gotten a $1,400 refund for their trouble, reports Insider . Gill and Warren Press say they asked to switch their premium seats midflight from Paris to Singapore because the...
Found in Woods
With 2 Furry Protectors
Sep 22, 2023 10:33 AM CDT
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Michigan police say one dog guarded 2-year-old, while another served as her pillow
- The case of a missing toddler in Michigan had a happy ending earlier this week, but it was how she was found that bolstered, once again, dogs' status as man's best friend. Michigan State Police showed up at the home of a 2-year-old girl in Menominee County's Faithorn...
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead
to Happy Ending in Morocco
Sep 15, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead to Happy Ending in Morocco
CBS engineer to adopt one of 2 dogs found alive in debris this week
- The loss of life in Morocco following last week's 6.8 magnitude earthquake is hard to grasp. Luckily, signs of life have emerged from the rubble as well. The UK's Kent Fire and Rescue Service reported Wednesday that members had rescued a dog trapped among debris in the...
After Attacks, UK Is
Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Sep 15, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
After Attacks, UK Is Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Prime minister says the breed will be outlawed by the end of the year
- A large breed of dog known as the American Bully XL will be off limits in the UK as of the end of the year, reports the BBC . British Prime Minster Rishi Sunak announced the breed will be banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act after a series of attacks. The...
3 Times, Picks Odd
Sep 2, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Determined Dog Escapes Shelter 3 Times, Picks Odd Forever Home
Now, 6 years later, Scout is a joyous part of the daily lives of seniors at Michigan nursing home
- Nothing too exciting happens at the relatively calm Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility, a nursing home in Bellaire, Michigan, that cares for seniors with terminal illnesses and dementia—but despite that (or maybe because of it), a stray dog decided that was the place he wanted to make his forever...
10 Best US Cities for Dogs
Aug 27, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
10 Best US Cities for Dogs
Orlando, Florida, is tops
- Orlando, Florida, is the apparently place to be if you're a dog. So says Lawn Starter , which ranked the 200 largest cities in the US on canine friendliness. Factors included the share of dog-friendly rental properties; the number vets, groomers, and dog parks; how easy it is to walk...
Dog Detects Thief,
Does Not Deter Thief
Aug 7, 2023 3:13 PM CDT
Dog Detects Thief, Does Not Deter Thief
Friendly pooch accepts a belly rub instead, and San Diego police release the video
- A San Diego dog is excellent at detecting burglars. The next step could use a little work. As NBC San Diego reports, police released an unusual surveillance video of a burglar taking an electric bike from a homeowner's garage. "In a rather peculiar turn of events, as the...
The Case Against
Aug 6, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
The Case Against Dog Parks
The dogs may not be having as much fun as you think, writes Julie V. Iovine
- It's advice sure to rile up a certain breed of dog people: "Skip the dog park." So argues Julie V. Iovine in a
New York Times
essay. These parks may seem great for humans, but Iovine makes the case they are not so great for dogs. "...
Judge Rejects Attempt to Claim
Lady Gaga's Dog Reward
Jul 12, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Judge Rejects Attempt to Claim Lady Gaga's Dog Reward
Woman linked to 2021 theft of singer's pets wanted $500K reward plus $1M damages
- Lady Gaga doesn't have to pay a reward to a woman who was charged in connection with the violent theft of two of her dogs in 2021, a Los Angeles judge has decided. Jennifer McBride, who was sentenced to two years of probation last year for receiving stolen property,...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
Meet Scooter, New
'World's Ugliest Dog'
Jun 26, 2023 1:06 PM CDT
Meet Scooter, New 'World's Ugliest Dog'
7-year-old pooch crowned in competition is a Chinese crested with reversed hind legs
- "From the second he sits his hairless little booty and backward legs on your lap, you feel his warm, huggable power to change the meaning of the word 'ugly.'" The hairless booty in question belongs to a pooch named Scooter, and the description comes via a...
Good Dogs Can
Have Bad Days:
Jun 4, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Good Dogs Can Have Bad Days: Postal Service
Agency reports thousands of attacks on employees last year, with California tops
- The Postal Service has released its count of workers bitten by dogs last year, an effort to increase awareness and inspire owners to mind their pets. California, Texas, and New York again were responsible for the most bites, CNN reports—675, 404, and 321, in order. All were increases from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.