Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Archie Battersbee Dies After
Being Taken Off Life Support
Aug 6, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
Archie Battersbee Dies After Being Taken Off Life Support
Parents of 12-year-old, in coma since April, waged unsuccessful battle to keep him on life support
Archie Battersbee, the 12-year-old British boy whose parents fought to keep him on life support, has died, reports the Independent . Per Sky News , a spokeswoman for the family said Archie, who'd been in a coma since April, was taken off his medication at Royal London Hospital at 10am...
Court: Life-Support Treatment
Not in Archie's 'Best Interests'
Aug 1, 2022 11:56 AM CDT
Court: Life-Support Treatment Not in Archie's 'Best Interests'
UK Court of Appeal refuses to block hospital from turning off Archie Battersbee's ventilator
- A British court on Monday refused to block a hospital from ending life-support treatment for a 12-year-old boy who has suffered catastrophic brain damage . The parents of Archie Battersbee have fought unsuccessfully in the courts to prevent the Royal London Hospital from turning off the boy's ventilator and stopping...
UK Top Court
Jul 28, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
UK Top Court Won't Intervene Over Boy's Life Support
Parents of Archie Battersbee, 12, don't want doctors to take him off ventilator
The parents of a comatose 12-year-old boy in Britain have lost a key battle in their fight to keep their son on life support—they failed on Thursday to convince the UK Supreme Court to intervene, reports the AP . Doctors at a London hospital say Archie Battersbee has no...
Update on DMX's Condition
Is Not Encouraging
Apr 4, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Update on DMX's Condition Is Not Encouraging
Lawyer says rapper is breathing, but brain activity is minimal
- Saturday night brought an update on rapper DMX's condition , though not an encouraging one. His longtime lawyer, Murray Richman, confirmed that the rapper suffered a heart attack around 11pm Friday while at home. While TMZ has reported it was caused by an overdose, Richman said he did not know...
Sick Baby's Mom 'Heartbroken'
Over Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 8:27 AM CST
Sick Baby's Mom 'Heartbroken' Over Judge's Ruling
Texas judge decides hospital can take Tinslee Lewis off life support; there will be an appeal
- It's not the answer Tinslee Lewis' family wanted to hear. A Texas judge ruled Thursday that Cook Children's Medical Center can take the seriously ill 11-month-old off life support, despite the objections of her family amid a protracted legal battle, the
New York Times
reports. Chief Justice Sandee...
Judge: Keep Baby on Life
Support Till the New Year
Dec 13, 2019 7:55 AM CST
Judge: Keep Baby on Life Support Till the New Year
Legal battle continues between family of 10-month-old Tinslee Lewis, Texas hospital
- A family that begged a Texas judge to keep a 10-month-old baby on life support has gotten its wish—at least for a few more weeks. The AP reports Judge Sandee Bryan Marion extended an injunction Thursday to keep Tinslee Lewis on life support at Fort Worth's Cook Children'...
A Win for Parents of Girl Who
Reportedly Can't Move, Feel
Oct 3, 2019 12:32 PM CDT
A Win for Parents of Girl Who Reportedly Can't Move, Feel
UK's Tafida Raqeeb to receive life-sustaining treatment in Italy
- The UK's high court has sided with the family of a 5-year-old girl with a severe brain injury over doctors who sought to remove her from life support. The parents of Tafida Raqeeb are "thrilled" with the court's decision to allow the girl to be moved from...
They Thought He Was Dead.
Then He Showed Up at a Party
Jul 5, 2019 11:35 AM CDT
They Thought He Was Dead. Then He Showed Up at a Party
2 families suing Chicago PD, hospital after one family took wrong man off life support
- The grief-stricken family of Alfonso Bennett was planning his funeral after taking him off life support—until he showed up at a party. ABC News reports on the story out of Chicago that now has two families suing the city's police department and Mercy Hospital for a tragic case...
Doctors Began to Let Him Die.
Then, the 'Stunning Twist'
in case you missed it
May 25, 2019 11:40 AM CDT
Doctors Began to Let Him Die. Then, the 'Stunning Twist'
Paris court orders Vincent Lambert's life support to resume
- On Monday doctors cut the nutrition and hydration that has been keeping Vincent Lambert alive, in what appeared to be the final chapter in an 11-year medical saga . It wasn't: His life support was resumed 12 hours later, reports Reuters , following a Monday night court order from the Paris...
His Wife Wanted
to Pull Life Support;
His Parents Didn't
May 20, 2019 9:03 AM CDT
His Wife Wanted to Pull Life Support; His Parents Didn't
'Halting of treatments' has begun for quadriplegic in divisive right-to-die case out of France
- It's been an agonizing battle between Vincent Lambert's wife and his parents, and it appears his wife is getting the final say. The BBC reports the 42-year-old Frenchman, a quadriplegic who's been in a vegetative state since a motorcycle accident 11 years ago, is being taken off...
MLB Fan on Life Support
After Post-Game Attack
Apr 1, 2019 10:02 AM CDT
MLB Fan on Life Support After Post-Game Attack
Rafael Reyna's wife says she was on phone with him when man hit him outside Dodger Stadium
- A 47-year-old dad of four who went out to enjoy a Major League Baseball game Friday night is now on life support after a post-game altercation in a parking lot. Christel Reyna tells CBS Los Angeles she was on the phone with her husband, Rafael Reyna, sometime past midnight as...
A Woman Took
Her 'Brother' Off
It Wasn't Him
in case you missed it
Feb 2, 2019 2:06 PM CST
A Woman Took Her 'Brother' Off Life Support. It Wasn't Him
Shirell Powell is suing Bronx hospital after case of mistaken identity
- It's hard enough making the painful decision to take a loved one off of life support, but Shirell Powell is facing the unimaginable reality of having taken a stranger off of it. The case of mistaken identity led to her thinking it was her brother, who she didn't...
His Family Made Funeral Plans.
Then, 'Craziest Moment Ever'
Jan 7, 2019 7:12 AM CST
His Family Made Funeral Plans. Then, 'Craziest Moment Ever'
T. Scott Marr wakes up after being taken off life support, dubbed 'Miracle Man'
- On Dec. 12, T. Scott Marr was found unconscious and barely alive by his son. On Dec. 13, the 61-year-old Nebraska man's family was told recovery was unlikely after an apparent stroke, so they gave permission for his breathing tubes to be removed and started making calls to plan...
Alfie Evans Dies in
Midst of Legal Battle
Apr 28, 2018 5:40 AM CDT
Alfie Evans Dies in Midst of Legal Battle
Parents of sick UK toddler wanted to bring him to Italy for further treatment
- Alfie Evans, the sick UK toddler whose parents fought a protracted legal battle over his treatment, died early Saturday. He was 23 months old. Kate James and Tom Evans made the announcement on social media, saying they were "heartbroken." The death of Alfie, who had a rare degenerative...
He Has a
His Family Says
He's Still Alive
Nov 3, 2017 8:14 AM CDT
He Has a Death Certificate. His Family Says He's Still Alive
They're fighting to keep Shalom Ouanounou on life support in Canada
- A man will remain on life support in Canada for the time being, despite the fact that his death certificate has already been issued. Toronto's Shalom Ouanounou, 25, was declared brain dead three days after suffering an asthma attack on Sept. 27, reports the Canadian Press . But while Canadian...
Baby to Come Off Life Support
After Parents Lose Court Fight
Jun 28, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
Baby to Come Off Life Support After Parents Lose Court Fight
They wanted to bring Charlie Gard from UK to US for experimental treatment
- The legal fight is over: A hospital in the UK will take an infant off life support after his parents failed to convince a court that he could be saved with an experimental treatment. The European Court of Human Rights ruled Tuesday that keeping 10-month-old Charlie Gard alive would do...
Britain's Top Court Won't
Let Dying Baby Go to US
Jun 9, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Britain's Top Court Won't Let Dying Baby Go to US
Parents of Charlie Gard have one last appeal left
- The British parents of a dying 10-month-old have just one more chance to win permission to bring him to the US for experimental treatment. Chris Gard and Connie Yates filed an emergency appeal with the European Court of Human Rights after Britain's Supreme Court ruled against them on Thursday,...
Judge's Ruling Has Parents
Facing Their 'Worst Nightmare'
Apr 11, 2017 5:10 PM CDT
Judge's Ruling Has Parents Facing Their 'Worst Nightmare'
8-month-old Charlie Gard can be taken off life support against parents' will
- Two parents broke down Tuesday as a London judge told them their 8-month-old baby could be taken off life support against their will, the
reports. Charlie Gard was born with mitochondrial depletion syndrome, which causes worsening muscle weakness and brain damage. Only 16 children worldwide are thought to have...
to Pull the Plug and
Then ... a Wiggling Toe
Sep 30, 2016 7:55 AM CDT
Getting Ready to Pull the Plug and Then ... a Wiggling Toe
Doctors were about to switch off Sam Hemming's life support for the final time
- A chance glance and a big toe saved a 22-year-old woman's life in the UK, the
reports. Sam Hemming, a law school graduate of North Wales' Bangor University, was being driven home to Hereford by her boyfriend, Tom Curtis, in July when they got into an accident,...
After Months of
Off Life Support
Aug 26, 2016 12:20 PM CDT
After Months of Fighting, Toddler Abruptly Taken Off Life Support
'He's gone,' says mom
- Israel Stinson, 2, had a bad asthma attack on April 1, went into cardiac arrest, and was declared brain-dead at UC Davis Medical Center. Nearly five months of legal battling ensued, as the California toddler's parents—who did not agree with the prognosis—fought to keep him on life...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
1.2M Pigs to Meet Demise Annually in New 'Pig Hotel'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.