Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blast Kills 40, Injures 200
at Political Rally in Pakistan
Jul 30, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Blast Kills 40, Injures 200 at Political Rally in Pakistan
Bombing occurred when senior party leader's arrival was announced
- A powerful bomb ripped through a political rally by supporters of a hard-line cleric and political leader on Sunday in Pakistan's northwestern Bajur district, police and health officials said. At least 40 people were killed and nearly 200 wounded, including children, in one of the worst attacks in years....
Istanbul Blast Kills 6, Wounds 53
Nov 13, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Istanbul Blast Kills 6, Wounds 53
Bomb sends people fleeing from crowded shopping, dining district
- A bomb exploded on a popular pedestrian street in Istanbul on Sunday, killing six people, wounding dozens, and sending people fleeing as flames rose. Footage posted online showed ambulances, fire trucks, and police at the scene on Istiklal Avenue, a typically crowded thoroughfare popular with tourists and locals and lined...
Somalia Asks for Doctors
Oct 30, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Somalia Asks for Doctors After Bombings
At least 100 were killed, president says, in extremist group's attack
- Somalia’s president says that at least 100 people were killed in two car bombings Saturday at a busy junction in the capital in the country's deadliest attack since a truck bombing at the same spot five years ago killed more than 500. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, at the...
Survivor of Theater
Things Were Happening'
Mar 23, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Survivor of Theater Bombing: 'Terrible Things Were Happening'
Those who made it out of devastation in Mariupol, Ukraine, detail the day's events
- It was just one laser-guided bomb that destroyed a drama theater in Mariupol, Ukraine, last week. That's the conclusion of Mckenzie Intelligence Services, which performed an analysis of the attack for the BBC . But that single bomb is all it took to wreak devastating havoc, and the broadcaster is...
After Theater Bombing, Rescue
Services 'No Longer Exist'
Mar 18, 2022 1:29 PM CDT
After Theater Bombing, Rescue Services 'No Longer Exist'
With 130 survivors but 'hundreds' still buried in rubble, things still look dire in Mariupol, Ukraine
- The search for survivors continued Friday in the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol, where Russian forces have been accused of targeting civilians by bombing a mosque , a maternity hospital , and, most recently, a theater . Lyudmyla Denisova, Ukraine's human rights chief, told the
that 130 people have been...
Ukraine: Russia Shelled Mosque
Sheltering 30-Plus Children
Mar 12, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Ukraine: Russia Shelled Mosque Sheltering 30-Plus Children
Mariupol, other Ukrainian cities continue to withstand relentless attacks
- Russian forces pounding the port city of Mariupol shelled a mosque sheltering more than 80 people, including children, the Ukrainian government said Saturday, as fighting also raged on the outskirts of the capital, Kyiv. There was no immediate word of casualties from the shelling of the mosque, per the AP...
Her Daughter Died in '63
Bombing at Alabama Church
Jan 3, 2022 11:49 AM CST
Her Daughter Died in '63 Bombing at Alabama Church
Maxine McNair, 93, was last surviving parent of 4 Black girls killed in Birmingham blast
- Maxine McNair, the last living parent of any of the four Black girls killed in a 1963 Alabama church bombing, died Sunday. She was 93. McNair's family announced her death in a press release, per the AP . A cause of death wasn't given. McNair's daughter, 11-year-old Denise...
Portrait of Liverpool Taxi
Bomber Begins to Emerge
Nov 16, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Portrait of Liverpool Taxi Bomber Begins to Emerge
Police believe passenger Emad Al Swealmeen built the bomb
- British police released four men who were arrested under terrorism laws while detectives investigate a homemade bomb explosion in a Liverpool taxi and work to understand the motives of the suspected bomber, who died in the blast. Police have named the bomber as 32-year-old Emad Al Swealmeen, who came to...
Cabbie in UK Bombing
Being Praised as Hero
Nov 15, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Cabbie in UK Bombing Being Praised as Hero
Liverpool mayor says David Perry, who survived, locked vehicle's doors on bomber
- The UK has raised its terror level threat after Sunday's explosion in Liverpool as authorities work to suss out what happened. Authorities say one person—the bomber—was killed when an explosive device detonated in a taxi cab outside the city's Women's Hospital, reports the
With US Withdrawal Looming,
2 More Attacks in Kabul
Jun 12, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
With US Withdrawal Looming, 2 More Attacks in Kabul
Minivan bombings kill 7 in area largely populated by minority Hazara ethnic group
- Separate bombs hit two minivans in a mostly Shiite neighborhood in the Afghan capital Saturday, killing at least seven people and wounding six others, the Interior Ministry said. The attacks targeted minivans on the same road about 1.25 miles apart in a neighborhood in western Kabul, a ministry spokesman...
Philly Health Chief Steps Down
Over 'Appalling' Revelation
May 14, 2021 7:48 AM CDT
Philly Health Chief Steps Down Over 'Appalling' Revelation
Dr. Thomas Farley admits he had remains of '85 MOVE victims cremated without telling families
- First came news that the burned bones of children killed in the 1985 MOVE bombing in Philadelphia were used for an online forensics course . Now the city's health chief has stepped down over a new revelation on the bombing that left 11 dead. In a statement released on the...
A Bomb Killed
Dozens. Then the
May 8, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
A Bomb Killed Dozens. Then the Crowd Attacked First Responders
Chaos after blast in majority Shiite district of Kabul, for which no one has yet claimed responsibility
- A bomb exploded near a girl's school in a majority Shiite district of west Kabul on Saturday, killing at least 25 people, many them young pupils between 11 and 15 years old, an Afghan government spokesmen said. The Taliban condemned the attack apparently aimed at civilians and denied any...
Bones of Black Children Killed
By Police Are Used in Class
Apr 23, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Bones of Black Children Killed By Police Are Used in Class
Families of MOVE bombing victims haven't given permission
- Five children, ages 7 to 14 were among the 11 MOVE members killed in 1985 when Philadelphia police dropped a bomb from a helicopter onto the group's house. The city apologized for the attack last November, with the mayor saying, "This year we saw the pain and trauma...
Newlyweds to Blame
for Palm Sunday
Church Bombing: Officials
Mar 30, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
Newlyweds to Blame for Palm Sunday Church Bombing: Officials
Suicide bombers in Indonesia were married 6 months before attack in Makassar, authorities say
- A recently married couple with suspected militant links used pressure cooker bombs to blow themselves up outside a Roman Catholic cathedral during Palm Sunday Mass, Indonesian officials said Monday. The attack wounded 20 people, including four church guards, and broke windows at the church and nearby buildings in Makassar, the...
Bombing as Mass Ends
Leaves at Least 20 Wounded
Mar 28, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Bombing as Mass Ends Leaves at Least 20 Wounded
Attackers at Indonesian cathedral set off explosion when guards approached
- Two attackers rode a motorbike into a cathedral compound in Indonesia as Palm Sunday mass ended, setting off a bomb that injured at least 20 people. Police said the wounded include churchgoers and four security guards, Yahoo News reports. "We were finishing the service and people were going home...
At Least 20 Dead After Car
Bombing in Somali Capital
Mar 6, 2021 5:30 AM CST
At Least 20 Dead After Car Bombing in Somali Capital
Vehicle with explosives crashed into popular restaurant in Mogadishu, Somalia
- The death toll has risen to at least 20 after a vehicle packed with explosives rammed into a popular restaurant in Somalia's capital on Friday night, with 30 wounded. The Somali National News Agency cited the Aamin ambulance service for the death toll. The Luul Yamani restaurant also was...
First, a Store Explosion.
Then, a Police Car Blast
Feb 6, 2021 9:00 AM CST
First, a Store Explosion. Then, a Police Car Blast
3 are said to be dead, multiple people wounded in Kabul, Afghanistan
- Two separate explosions rocked the Afghan capital of Kabul on Saturday, killing at least three people, including members of the minority Sikh community, and wounding four others, Afghan officials said. The first explosion hit a store in the heart of the capital, causing it to collapse and kill at least...
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019:
He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Dec 30, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Suspect's Girlfriend in 2019: He's 'Building Bombs in the RV'
Pamela Perry reportedly warned cops about Nashville bomber Anthony Warner
- After the Christmas morning RV explosion that wreaked havoc in Nashville, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said suspected bomber Anthony Quinn Warner—who died in the blast that injured at least eight people, seriously damaged dozens of buildings, and disrupted telecommunications across the Southeast—had not been "on our...
The New Cabinet Arrived
by Plane. Then an Explosion
Dec 30, 2020 8:05 AM CST
The New Cabinet Arrived by Plane. Then an Explosion
At least 16 people are said to be dead after a blast in Aden, Yemen
- At least 16 people were killed Wednesday and another 60 wounded when a blast occurred at the airport in the southern Yemeni city of Aden. The explosion happened a short time after the country's newly formed Cabinet arrived by plane; no one on that plane was killed or injured,...
For Barr, Lockerbie Charges
End a 30-Year Mission
Dec 21, 2020 11:45 AM CST
For Barr, Lockerbie Charges End a 30-Year Mission
Attorney general announces charges against Libyan bombmaker
- The Justice Department announced new charges Monday against a Libyan bombmaker in the 1988 explosion of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, an attack that killed 259 people in the air and 11 on the ground, per the AP . The charges were announced on the 32nd anniversary of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of McHenry's First Acts: Ordering Pelosi to Vacate Office
Everyone Is Talking About Pamela Anderson's Face
COVID-19 Vaccination Cards Are No More
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
'There Has to Be Consequences' for Kevin McCarthy's Ouster
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.