Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'How Am I Talking to Someone
Who Has a Pig Heart?'
Sep 23, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
'How Am I Talking to Someone Who Has a Pig Heart?'
Navy vet Lawrence Faucette, 58, has transplant in Maryland, only the 2nd living patient to do so
- Surgeons have transplanted a pig's heart into a dying man in a bid to prolong his life—only the second patient to ever undergo such an experimental feat. Two days after the Wednesday procedure , the man was cracking jokes and able to sit in a chair, Maryland doctors said...
Man Who Got Pig Heart
Didn't Die From Rejection
Jul 8, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Man Who Got Pig Heart Didn't Die From Rejection
Doctors say procedure should be considered a success
- Maryland man David Bennett lived for only two months after he received a pig's heart —but doctors say the first-of-its-kind procedure counts as a success. Doctors at the University of Maryland School of Medicine say they determined that 57-year-old David Bennett died from heart failure but his body...
Man's 'Space-Age' Procedure
Has Freed Him From His Pain
in case you missed it
May 29, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Man's 'Space-Age' Procedure Has Freed Him From His Pain
Scotland's Steven Gallagher, who suffers from sclerodoma, praises his double hand transplant
- For years, Steven Gallagher has suffered from pain in his arms and hands, not finding relief even after an operation to address what he believed at the time was carpal tunnel syndrome. Turns out the Scotsman actually has an autoimmune disease that scars the skin and his inner organs, and...
Pig Virus 'Hitched a Ride'
Into Man Who Got Pig's Heart
May 6, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Pig Virus 'Hitched a Ride' Into Man Who Got Pig's Heart
Doctors say virus may have caused David Bennett's death 2 months after transplant
- The first person to receive a heart transplant from a pig may have also been the first person to be killed by porcine cytomegalovirus—a virus normally only found in pigs that was detected in patient David Bennett 20 days after the transplant. The surgeon who performed the groundbreaking procedure,...
Man Who Received First
Pig Heart Transplant Has Died
Mar 9, 2022 9:20 AM CST
Man Who Received First Pig Heart Transplant Has Died
David Bennett, 57, made it 2 months with the heart
- The first person to receive a heart transplant from a pig has died, two months after the groundbreaking experiment , the Maryland hospital that performed the surgery announced Wednesday. David Bennett, 57, died Tuesday at the University of Maryland Medical Center. Doctors didn't give an exact cause of death, saying...
Deceased COVID Patient
Was a Success
Feb 2, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Transplant From Deceased COVID Patient Was a Success
Kidney was taken from 30-year-old woman who died from COVID complications
- Surgeons say they have successfully transplanted an organ from a patient who died from COVID-19 complications, potentially opening the door to many more such transplants. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine researchers, writing in the
American Journal of Transplantation
, say a kidney was taken from a 30-year-old woman who died...
Surgeons Give Maryland Man
Genetically Edited Pig Heart
Jan 10, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Surgeons Give Maryland Man Genetically Edited Pig Heart
Patient is still alive three days after first-of-its-kind transplant operation
- A month ago, the outlook was extremely bleak for 57-year-old Maryland handyman David Bennett—he needed a new heart, but didn't qualify for a donor organ. At least, not from a human. Bennett, who had terminal heart disease, is now part of medical history after the first successful transplant...
Doctors: We Pulled Off the
'Holy Grail' of Surgeries
in case you missed it
Apr 10, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Doctors: We Pulled Off the 'Holy Grail' of Surgeries
NYC medical team says it has performed first complete surgical transplant of a trachea
- In 2014, Sonia Sein was hospitalized after a bad asthma attack. The resulting intubation damaged her windpipe, and multiple surgeries didn't help, so doctors finally cut a hole in her throat and inserted a tracheostomy tube. In the six years after, Sein still labored to breathe, forcing her to...
US Woman Is 'Elated'
With Second Face Transplant
Aug 7, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
US Woman Is 'Elated' With Second Face Transplant
'The pain I had is gone,' says New Hampshire patient Carmen Blandin Tarleton
- For the second time in a decade, a New Hampshire woman has a new face. Carmen Blandin Tarleton, whose face was disfigured in an attack by her ex-husband, became the first American and the second person globally to undergo the procedure after her first transplant began to fail after six...
Identical Twin Gives
His Brother a Testicle
Dec 9, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Identical Twin Gives His Brother a Testicle
It's only the 3rd such operation, in part because of ethical issues
- Doctors in Serbia have accomplished a rare feat in the field of transplants: They removed a testicle from a donor and implanted it into his identical twin brother, reports the
New York Times
. The 36-year-olds are doing fine, and the procedure should allow the recipient not only to have more...
Man Gets Penis and Scrotum
Transplant in World First
Apr 23, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Man Gets Penis and Scrotum Transplant in World First
Amazingly, doctors believe he'll regain both urinary and sexual function
- A US serviceman has become the world's first man to ever receive a full penis and scrotum transplant. Per
, the veteran was injured by an IED years ago while on combat tour in Afghanistan. Surgeons from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine announced the historic news...
World's First Head Transplant
on Corpse a Success, Doc Says
Nov 17, 2017 10:18 AM CST
World's First Head Transplant on Corpse a Success, Doc Says
Sergio Canavero says procedure on live patient will happen soon—but he has many doubters
- The first step in what
says would be an "audacious" therapy reportedly took place in China Friday: the world's first human head transplant, achieved with two corpses. And Sergio Canavero—the Italian doctor behind the alleged procedure, says he plans to do the same thing next...
Woman Meets Man
Given Husband's Face
Nov 11, 2017 8:42 AM CST
Woman Meets Man Given Husband's Face
She donated it to man who lived 10 years without one
- Sixteen months after transplant surgery gave Andy Sandness the face that had belonged to Calen "Rudy" Ross, he met the woman who had agreed to donate her high school sweetheart's visage to a man who lived nearly a decade without one. The two came together last month in...
Did With Aussie
Man's Big Toe
Jul 13, 2017 10:30 AM CDT
Thumbs-Up for What Doctors Did With Aussie Man's Big Toe
They replaced Zac Mitchell's severed thumb with his toe after farm accident
- It was just another April day on a Western Australia farm for Zac Mitchell, until it suddenly wasn't. In a freak accident described by the ABC , the cattle worker was herding the animals in his charge when one bull "cleaned me up and kicked my hand up against...
Man Who Received New Penis
Is 'One of the Happiest Patients'
May 24, 2017 1:03 AM CDT
Man Who Received New Penis Is 'One of the Happiest Patients'
It's the world's 3rd-ever successful penis transplant
- "He is certainly one of the happiest patients we have seen in our ward,” Seeker quotes Dr. Andre van der Merwe as saying. Van der Merwe and his surgical team at Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa, recently completed their second successful penile transplant—this time on...
Things Got Real When a
Reality TV Exec Lost His Hand
Mar 31, 2017 2:30 AM CDT
Things Got Real When a Reality TV Exec Lost His Hand
Jonathan Koch was told he was going to die, but he wasn't going without a fight
- "It’s more attractive than the hand I used to have, so I’m getting a lot of attention."
Los Angeles Magazine
dives into two incredibly trying years in the life of "one of Hollywood's great closers" and "an indefatigable iron man" during which he...
US Breakthrough in Womb
Transplants Offers New Hope
Oct 5, 2016 12:03 PM CDT
US Breakthrough in Womb Transplants Offers New Hope
1 of 4 living donor transplants at Baylor looks promising
- America's first uterus transplant might have failed , but doctors are "cautiously optimistic" that one of the country's first living donor womb transplants could be a success. Surgeons at Baylor University Medical Center say they performed the living donor transplants on four women, aged 20 to 35—each...
Hand Transplant Recipient
Regrets Having Surgery
Jul 26, 2016 12:03 AM CDT
Hand Transplant Recipient Regrets Having Surgery
"I can do absolutely nothing"
- In 2009, Jeff Kepner became the first person in the US to receive a double hand transplant. Today, the 64-year-old wishes he never had the surgery. “From day one I have never been able to use my hands,” he tells
. “I can do absolutely nothing.”...
Jan 29, 2016 12:18 PM CST
Woman Gets First Transplant Necessitated by Needle Phobia
Diabetic patient couldn't handle her daily insulin shots
- It's not too strange to hear about a diabetic undergoing a pancreas transplant. What's unusual here is that the transplant was necessitated by the UK patient's extreme fear of needles—the first time that's happened anywhere in the world, the BBC reports. Sue York, 55, has...
New for US Troops:
Another Man's Penis
Dec 6, 2015 4:40 PM CST
New for US Troops: Another Man's Penis
Johns Hopkins surgeons willing to try experimental surgery
- We know about missing arms and legs. But US troops have also suffered a "hidden injury" in Iraq and Afghanistan—genitalia destroyed by bomb blasts. Now, doctors at Johns Hopkins University say they want to try repairing these wounds with experimental penis transplants, the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
McCarthy-Trump Relationship Is Back in the Headlines
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.