Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court: No Suit
Jul 28, 2023 10:59 AM CDT
Court: No Suit Over Woman Mistakenly Declared Dead
Panel says family of Timesha Beauchamp, who did eventually die, can't file complaint against EMTs
- The family of a Michigan woman who was erroneously declared dead in 2020, then declared dead for real eight weeks later, tried to sue the city of Southfield and four first responders whose bad judgment, they say, contributed to Timesha Beauchamp's demise from a brain injury. Her family says...
At Uvalde, Police Response
Wasn't the Only Problem
Dec 20, 2022 11:41 AM CST
At Uvalde, Police Response Wasn't the Only Problem
Medical response was chaotic, uncoordinated, and may have cost lives: report
- The slow response of police to confront the gunman at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, has been well documented. But a new examination of video and audio from the scene, as well as interviews, shows that the medical response that day in May also was mired in chaos and...
Deputy Heard Baby's Cries
Amid Fire, Started Climbing
Apr 27, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Deputy Heard Baby's Cries Amid Fire, Started Climbing
William Puzynski saves 1-year-old girl from 3rd-floor balcony in Orlando
- A local sheriff's deputy was in the right place at the right time when an apartment building in Orlando, Fla., went up in flames over the weekend. Per WKMG , William Puzynski of the Orange County Sheriff's Office was on patrol around 4am Saturday when a call was radioed...
He Spent Weeks
on the Pile After 9/11.
What Did It Do to His Brain?
Sep 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Spent Weeks on the Pile After 9/11. What Did It Do to His Brain?
The 'Washington Post' looks at cognitive decline among first responders
- In 2015, at age 52, Ron Kirchner was diagnosed with dementia. His wife was told an MRI scan of Kirchner's brain could be mistaken for that of an 85-year-old. What makes that reality all the more tragic is this: Kirchner was a firefighter who spent almost 600 hours—the...
Couldn't Save Her
Jul 2, 2021 6:25 AM CDT
Condo Collapse Rescuers Heard Woman, Couldn't Save Her
'The wind was knocked out of our guys,' supervisor said
- Miami-Dade firefighter Lt. Obed Frometa also serves as a chaplain, and he says the Surfside condo collapse is taking a heavy toll on rescuers. One such example: In the hours after the building collapsed last Thursday, rescuers were in contact for hours with a woman they were unable to save,...
The Treasury Took $4M
From 9/11 Program: Report
Sep 12, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
The Treasury Took $4M From 9/11 Program: Report
'I mean, this is absurd'
- A health care program that serves 9/11 first responders is nearly $4 million short because the Trump administration shifted those dollars away to another program, the New York
reports. In fact, the Treasury Dept. has quietly siphoned money from the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program—which covers...
Young Daughter of First
Responders Dies of COVID
Apr 20, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Young Daughter of First Responders Dies of COVID
Skylar Herbert, 5, is Michigan's youngest victim
- Michigan has its first child fatality of the COVID-19 outbreak. The parents of 5-year-old Skylar Herbert took her off a ventilator on Sunday after doctors said she had no hope of recovery and was likely brain-dead, reports the
. Skylar started having headaches about a month ago, and a...
Police Chief to Feds:
Stop Testing NBA Players
Mar 24, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Police Chief to Feds: Stop Testing NBA Players
He says he is having a hard time getting officers tested for coronavirus
- A California police chief urged White House officials to make testing first responders for coronavirus a priority during a conference call between police chiefs and White House and Homeland Security officials. "Stop testing NBA players, and start testing our first responders," Vacaville police chief John Carli said during...
Calif. School Shooting Had
Surprise First Responders
Nov 16, 2019 1:30 PM CST
Calif. School Shooting Had Surprise First Responders
That was the 'silver lining,' says LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva
- Amid yet another school shooting, a ray of hope: two off-duty officers and a detective who rushed to help,
reports. "Off-duty first responders were there and did not hesitate, turned around and went right into the source of the gunfire to attempt to neutralize it, and they...
Puts His Foot
Jul 17, 2019 6:20 PM CDT
Rand Paul Puts His Foot Down Over 9/11 Bill
The Kentucky senator won't let it pass unanimously
- Republican Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday blocked fast-track approval of a bipartisan bill that would ensure a victims' compensation fund related to the Sept. 11 attacks never runs out of money, the AP reports. Paul objected to a request by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY, to approve the bill by unanimous...
Ex-Cop Who Testified With
Jon Stewart on 9/11 Fund Dies
Jun 29, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Testified With Jon Stewart on 9/11 Fund Dies
Former NYPD detective Luis Alvarez, 53, died of complications of colorectal cancer
- When Jon Stewart lambasted lawmakers at a hearing earlier this month, Luis Alvarez was one of the first responders at his side, making his own impassioned plea to the House Judiciary subcommittee to stop dragging its feet on re-funding the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund. Now, sad news from Long...
Stewart: Mitch McConnell Is
'White Whale' of 9/11 Funding
Jun 17, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Stewart: Mitch McConnell Is 'White Whale' of 9/11 Funding
'He has always held out until the very last minute'
- Jon Stewart kept up the pressure on Congress to pass funding for 9/11 first responders in a
Fox News Sunday
appearance—and slammed Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell as the "white whale" of the issue. "I want to make it clear that this has never been dealt with...
Medics Meet Boy They Saved
After Horrific School Bus Crash
Feb 4, 2019 10:35 AM CST
Medics Meet Boy They Saved After Horrific School Bus Crash
Maverik Lowe nearly died in Indiana accident last year
- A 12-year-old Indiana boy who survived a bus stop crash that killed three young siblings has met the medics who saved his life, per the AP . Maverik Lowe's mother wrote on Facebook that her son on Saturday met with a nurse and a paramedic who treated him during a...
9/11 Firefighter Died, but Kids
Oct 22, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
9/11 Firefighter Died, but Kids Fulfill His
Keith Young's children pitched his Cup Board Pro
- Keith Young invented the Cup Board Pro, a cutting board with a detachable bowl attached, and he dreamed of bringing it on
. But the New York City firefighter, who helped with Ground Zero cleanup after 9/11, died in March of cancer related to the World Trade Center attacks...
He Was Having
a Heart Attack.
He Really Wanted
to Finish His Sod
Jul 11, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
He Was Having a Heart Attack. He Really Wanted to Finish His Sod
First responders stepped in for Gene Work and finished his chore while he had surgery
- It was a hot, humid day in Pasco County, Fla., on Saturday, and Gene Work was trying to beat the clock to lay down sod in his yard so he wouldn't face a fine from his homeowners association. But the 40-year-old, who was working with his brother-in-law Mark Rouco,...
Was Older Than
15. It Saved Her
in case you missed it
Mar 3, 2018 11:04 AM CST
He Guessed Shooting Victim Was Older Than 15. It Saved Her
Lt. Laz Ojeda made the call to take Parkland victim not to a children's hospital, but to a closer facility
- Maddy Wilford was shot multiple times in the Parkland school massacre and was near death as first responders tended to her after the shooting. But an observant Coral Springs Fire Department lieutenant asked the teen an important question as they prepared to whisk her away, and it was one that...
They're FEMA's Elite Rescuers,
Yet Some Do Little Rescuing
Feb 19, 2018 9:40 AM CST
They're FEMA's Elite Rescuers, Yet Some Do Little Rescuing
Bureaucracy, too much gear, and other inefficiencies are marring response efforts
- They're called the "national Swiss Army knife of emergency response," teams of highly trained first responders sent by FEMA across the US when disaster strikes. But when hurricanes pummeled Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico last summer, many of the thousands deployed via the agency's National Urban...
Father and Son, Both 9/11
Responders, Have Died
Aug 17, 2017 12:00 PM CDT
Father and Son, Both 9/11 Responders, Have Died
FDNY's Raymond and Robert Alexander passed away within a year of each other
- They were healthy, with no history of cancer in the family, but within a year of each other, a father and son have died—the 76-year-old dad last year after fighting seven different cancers over 13 years. The common link: Both Raymond Alexander and his son, Robert, who died Monday...
Stabbed 32 Times,
Left to Die ... Saved
by Prince Charming
Mar 28, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
Stabbed 32 Times, Left to Die ... Saved by Prince Charming
Happy ending for domestic abuse survivor and the EMT who saved her life
- The first time Cameron Hill met Melissa Dohme, it was on the worst day of her life, she tells
—and earlier this month, they celebrated her (and their) best day. In what the 25-year-old describes as "a dream come true" on Facebook , the couple became husband and...
9/11 Responder With Rare Illness Makes Billboard Plea
Jul 27, 2016 12:53 PM CDT
9/11 Responder With Rare Illness Makes Billboard Plea
'Add Kidney Disease for 9/11 Rescue Workers!'
- A 9/11 first responder with kidney disease close to losing his New Jersey home is taking his plight public in a big way: through his website and a series of tri-state area billboards, the
reports. "Add Kidney Disease for 9/11 Rescue Workers!" the signs outside MetLife Stadium...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.