Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
More Pregnant, Postpartum
Women Dying of Overdoses
Nov 24, 2023 10:10 AM CST
More Pregnant, Postpartum Women Dying of Overdoses
Study finds ratio jumped between 2018 and 2021
- A January study found mortality rates for pregnant women and new mothers worsened during the pandemic, and a new study zeroes in on one such cause: overdoses. Researchers with the National Institute on Drug Abuse reviewed data on more than 17,000 deaths over the 2018 to 2021 period; STAT...
Angus Cloud's Mom:
His Death Was
Aug 7, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Angus Cloud's Mom: His Death Was Not Intentional
'Euphoria' star's mom addresses the speculation
- Angus Cloud's mom is speaking out after rampant speculation as to how the
star died. "Social media posts have suggested his death was intentional," the actor's mom posted on Facebook . "I want you to know that is not the case." Lisa Cloud says...
US Army Sees Record Number
of Fatal ODs From This Drug
Jun 14, 2023 8:28 AM CDT
US Army Sees Record Number of Fatal ODs From This Drug
Fentanyl is hitting all military branches, but none as hard as the Army, and loved ones want answers
- Earlier this year, Congress received some sobering data from the Department of Defense showing that fentanyl was involved in 88% of the 2021 deaths of US troops who'd died of drug overdoses—up from just 36% five years earlier. "Our military is not immune to the opioid epidemic,...
US to Study Controversial
Idea for Drug Users
May 9, 2023 11:46 AM CDT
US to Study Controversial Idea for Drug Users
$5M will go toward looking at 2 'safe injection sites' in New York and Rhode Island
- For the first time, the US government will pay for a large study measuring whether overdoses can be prevented by so-called safe injection sites, places where people can use heroin and other illegal drugs and be revived if they take too much. As the AP reports, the grant provides more...
Narcan Could Soon Be
Available Over the Counter
Feb 16, 2023 4:10 AM CST
Narcan Could Soon Be Available Over the Counter
FDA panels support change making overdose-reversing drug much more widely available
- Two panels of Food and Drug Administration advisers have unanimously recommended that Narcan be made available over the counter, a move that could help reduce deaths in the ongoing opioid epidemic. The overdose-reducing nasal spray, known generically as naloxone, is already widely used by first responders and outreach workers. But...
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots
of Edibles During Pandemic
Jan 3, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Kids Got Their Hands On Lots of Edibles During Pandemic
Study finds 1,375% spike in reports to poison centers involving children under 6 from 2017 to '21
- More than 40% of human poison exposure calls to US poison centers in 2020 were about children who'd accidentally been exposed to cannabis, according to a new study, which shows an alarming rise in accidental ingestion of edibles in particular. The number of children under 6 who accidentally ate...
Mom of Girl, 15, Who
Fatally Overdosed at
School Sues District
Dec 15, 2022 2:38 AM CST
Mom of Girl, 15, Who Fatally Overdosed at School Sues District
2 teen boys were arrested in the case earlier this year
- The mother of a 15-year-old girl who died of a suspected fentanyl overdose at her Hollywood high school in September is suing the Los Angeles school district of which the school is a part. Elena Perez alleges that officials knew about "rampant drug sales" at Helen Bernstein High School...
Dad: My Baby ODed
on Fentanyl at Public Park
Dec 2, 2022 12:34 PM CST
Dad: My Baby ODed on Fentanyl at Public Park
10-month-old now OK; San Francisco city officials, media trying to confirm exactly what happened
- A nanny's trip this week to a Bay Area public park with 10-month-old twins in her care turned terrifying, with the family and local authorities sharing that one of the boys was exposed to fentanyl during their visit. Wendy Marroqui tells NBC Bay Area that she took Senna and...
Former LA Angels Employee
Gets 22 Years in Pitcher's Death
Oct 11, 2022 7:14 PM CDT
Former LA Angels Employee Gets 22 Years in Pitcher's Death
Judge added 2 years because of remarks Eric Kay made about Tyler Skaggs
: Former Los Angeles Angels staff member Eric Kay has been sentenced to 22 years in federal prison for giving pitcher Tyler Skaggs the drugs that killed him. District Judge Terry Means said he was sentencing Eric Kay, the team's former communications director, to two years over the statutory...
Jul 7, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Scott Adams Offers Eyebrow- Raising Take on Troubled Young Men
'Dilbert' creator sees only 2 options available: 'murder your own son or watch him die'
- Scott Adams has had controversial takes on gun violence before, but his latest one, on the Highland Park mass shooting , is spurring backlash from those speaking on mental health illness and addiction. The 65-year-old creator of the
cartoon strip posted an eyebrow-raising series of tweets on Wednesday that discussed...
Research Finds More Children
Being Poisoned by Melatonin
in case you missed it
Jun 5, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Research Finds More Children Being Poisoned by Melatonin
Rate has jumped during the pandemic
- Researchers are drawing attention to a rise in poisonings in children involving the sleep aid melatonin—including a big jump during the pandemic. Last year, US poison control centers received more than 52,000 calls about children consuming worrisome amounts of the dietary supplement, a six-fold increase from about a...
Canada Takes Bold Step to
'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Jun 1, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Canada Takes Bold Step to 'Remove the Shame' on Drugs
Small amounts of 'hard' drugs to be temporarily decriminalized in British Columbia to fight ODs
- If you're busted in British Columbia with a small amount of hard drugs, you could soon see some grace, thanks to an innovative new program designed to deal with the OD crisis. The BBC reports that, starting at the end of January, drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine, MDMA (ecstasy), and...
Stat on Drug
May 11, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
CDC Reveals 'Truly Staggering' Stat on Drug Overdoses
More than 107K Americans suffered fatal ODs last year
- More than 107,000 Americans died of drug overdoses last year, setting another tragic record in the nation's escalating overdose epidemic, the CDC estimated Wednesday. The provisional 2021 total translates to roughly one US overdose death every five minutes. It marked a 15% increase from the previous record, set...
First Sentence in
Mac Miller's Death
Apr 19, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
First Sentence in Mac Miller's Death Handed Down
Ryan Michael Reavis gets nearly 11 years
Ryan Reavis, one of the drug dealers involved in rapper Mac Miller's fentanyl death, was sentenced Monday to 10 years and 11 months behind bars, TMZ reports. Prosecutors wanted 12 and a half years, while Reavis, who insisted in court that he was just the middle man and...
Spring Break Goes Badly
for West Point Cadets
Mar 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Spring Break Goes Badly for West Point Cadets
7 people were hospitalized in Fort Lauderdale after ODing on powdery substance laced with fentanyl
- Spring break in Fort Lauderdale didn't end well for one group this week, with seven people hospitalized after ODing on fentanyl, several of them confirmed to be West Point cadets. Police say that Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue responded to a call at a vacation rental home in Wilton Manors...
5 Found in Colorado
Feb 22, 2022 12:10 PM CST
5 Found in Colorado Apartment Likely Died Instantly
DA says they ingested cocaine laced with fentanyl
The five people found dead in a Commerce City, Colorado, apartment on Sunday afternoon were killed by fentanyl ODs, officials say. The victims include two men and three women who range in age from 24 to 32. A 29-year-old woman who was hospitalized and an unharmed 4-month old infant...
Boy, 13, Dies After
Collapsing at School
Jan 17, 2022 3:01 AM CST
Boy, 13, Dies After Ingesting Fentanyl, Collapsing at School
It's not clear how he got access to the dangerous opioid
- A 13-year-old Connecticut boy died Saturday, two days after collapsing during gym class in his school's gymnasium due to a fentanyl overdose. Two other students who came in contact with the drug and were hospitalized at the same time have been released,
reports. The mayor of Hartford,...
Animal Tranquilizers a
Factor in More Fatal ODs
Dec 23, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Animal Tranquilizers a Factor in More Fatal ODs
They're used as a cutting agent, and there's no antidote
- Brooke Goodwin came home one night last March after being out with friends. She had just turned 23 the day before, had a good job, and was planning to go away with friends the following weekend. Her mother, whose bedroom is next door to the kitchen, heard her daughter get...
Arrests in Case of Women Who
Were Left at Hospitals and Died
Dec 17, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Arrests in Case of Women Who Were Left at Hospitals and Died
Christy Giles, Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola died in November
- Three men have been arrested in the deaths of two women who were dropped at Los Angeles hospitals on the same day last month . Model and aspiring actress Christy Giles, 24, was pronounced dead Nov. 13, shortly after masked men in a black Toyota Prius without a license plate left...
The Number of Fatal ODs
We Just Suffered Is Huge
Nov 17, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Number of Fatal ODs We Just Suffered Is Huge
Number crests 100K for first time ever
- As if COVID wasn't enough of a mortality whammy, now this: The CDC on Wednesday announced that Americans suffered more than 100,000 drug overdose deaths in a 12-month period for the first time ever. Between May 2019 and April 2020 there were 78,056 overdose deaths. Over the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.