Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Answer 'Stolen
Nov 6, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Scalise Refuses to Answer 'Stolen Election' Question Multiple Times
A clearly frustrated George Stephanopoulos eventually cut off the interview
- At least seven times during a sit-down Sunday on ABC News'
, host George Stephanopoulos tried to get a straight answer from House Majority Leader Steve Scalise on whether he believes the 2020 presidential election was stolen. And at least seven times, Scalise avoided answering the question. The Hill...
Jim Jordan Is GOP's New
Pick for House Speaker
Oct 13, 2023 3:36 PM CDT
Jim Jordan Is GOP's New Pick for House Speaker
But it remains unclear whether he has enough support in the full House to get the position
- After some late political drama , Republicans have chosen Rep. Jim Jordan as their new nominee to be House speaker. However, it remains very much up in the air whether Jordan, a staunch ally of Donald Trump, will be able to get enough votes in the full House to secure the...
Steve Scalise Drops Out
of Speaker's Race
Oct 12, 2023 7:43 PM CDT
Steve Scalise Drops Out of Speaker's Race
House majority leader knew he'd never get enough votes to win
- One day after he won a GOP ballot to seek the position of House speaker, Steve Scalise is out of the running. "It's been quite a journey," the GOP majority leader told reporters Thursday night. "And there's still a long way to go. I just...
House GOP Remains Divided
After Speaker Nomination
Oct 12, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
House GOP Remains Divided After Speaker Nomination
Jim Jordan retains support despite losing GOP vote to Steve Scalise
- "The House GOP's hoped-for moment of unity never materialized" Wednesday as Republicans picked Majority Leader Steve Scalise of Louisiana for speaker only to find at least a dozen of their members opposed, per Politico . Scalise nabbed just 50.7% of the House GOP conference's support, illustrating a...
GOP Lands on Scalise for
Speaker, but Some Say No Way
Oct 11, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
GOP Lands on Scalise for Speaker, but Some Say No Way
Sources say full House vote won't happen today
- House Republicans have landed on Majority Leader Steve Scalise as their pick for next speaker, with the Hill reporting he bested Jim Jordan in a 113-99 closed-door vote. Things will next head to the House floor, where he'll face off against Democrats' pick: House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries. The...
Ahead of Speaker
Vote, No Idea
'How You Get to 218'
Oct 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
After Meeting Ahead of Speaker Vote, No Idea 'How You Get to 218'
2 candidates spoke at closed-door conference meeting, but consensus seems hard to reach
- By the end of Tuesday night's closed-door meeting, the AP was reporting that the Republican House majority appeared "stuck ... in a stalemate that threatens to keep Congress partly shuttered indefinitely." The two House speaker candidates who spoke at the meeting, Reps. Jim Jordan and Steve Scalise, appeared...
McCarthy on Leaving
the House: That's a No
Oct 7, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
McCarthy on Leaving the House: That's a No
Ex-speaker addresses rumors; meanwhile, TV forum for his possible replacement falls through
- Kevin McCarthy has already indicated he won't run for the House speaker position again, after a historic vote that booted him from that seat. On Thursday, the rumor mill started churning anew after sources told Politico and NBC News that the California Republican was considering stepping down from the...
House No. 2 Confirms
Bid for Speaker
Oct 4, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
House No. 2 Confirms Bid for Speaker
Steve Scalise is competing with Jim Jordan for gavel
- Rep. Jim Jordan was the first Republican to announce a bid to replace Rep. Kevin McCarthy as House speaker Wednesday, but he wasn't in the race alone for long. House Majority Leader Steve Scalise announced his bid hours after Jordan, telling fellow lawmakers, "We all need to come...
No. 2 Republican
Aug 29, 2023 1:08 PM CDT
No. 2 Republican in House Reveals Cancer Diagnosis
Steve Scalise says his multiple myeloma was caught early and is treatable
- Rep. Steve Scalise, the No. 2-ranking House Republican, said Tuesday he has been diagnosed with a form of blood cancer known as multiple myeloma and is undergoing treatment. Scalise, 57, said he will continue to serve in the House. He described the cancer as "very treatable" and said it...
Jan 4, 2023 7:01 AM CST
Here Are 3 Possible McCarthy Replacements
Though all of them face hurdles
- After a historic day in the House of Representatives that ended with the legislative body adjourning without having elected a Speaker , it's not clear what will happen next—other than the fact that representatives will reconvene at noon Wednesday, PBS reports. A fourth round of voting is expected at...
McCarthy Fails to Win
Speakership on First Ballot
Jan 3, 2023 12:57 PM CST
McCarthy Fails to Win Speakership on First Ballot
House must keep voting until a speaker is selected
- So who will be the next House speaker? After one round of voting in the chamber, the answer remains unclear. Frontrunner Kevin McCarthy, who served as House Minority Leader when Democrats were in charge, failed to get the necessary 218 votes on the first ballot, reports the
McCarthy Confirms Bid
to Become House Speaker
Nov 9, 2022 5:55 PM CST
McCarthy Confirms Bid to Become House Speaker
He didn't wait for confirmation of GOP victory
- Control of the House is still up in the air after Tuesday's midterm elections, but with Republicans looking likely to take a slim majority in the chamber, senior caucus members are eyeing new positions. Rep. Kevin McCarthy, currently the House minority leader, announced his bid to become House speaker...
House's No. 2 Comes Out
Against Liz Cheney
May 5, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
House's No. 2 Comes Out Against Liz Cheney
Rep. Steve Scalise backs Elise Stefanik to take Cheney's post
- The tide turned more sharply against Rep. Liz Cheney on Wednesday with the No. 2 House Republican publicly calling for her ouster from her post over her continuing criticism of former President Trump . Rep. Steve Scalise, the House GOP whip, said via a statement that he's in favor of...
2nd Member of Congress
Tests Positive for COVID-19
Mar 19, 2020 4:32 AM CDT
2nd Member of Congress Tests Positive for COVID-19
Lawmakers are being warned of possible exposure
- A second member of Congress has now tested positive for coronavirus—and numerous other lawmakers are now in self-quarantine. Rep. Ben McAdams, a Democrat from Utah, announced Wednesday night that he has self-quarantined after testing positive, NBC reports. "On Saturday evening, after returning from Washington, DC, I developed mild...
Trump Gets Personal After
Fox Host Interviews Scalise
Nov 18, 2019 4:06 AM CST
Trump Gets Personal After Fox Host Interviews Scalise
He slams 'nasty, obnoxious' Chris Wallace
- After Fox News host Chris Wallace clashed with House Minority Whip Steve Scalise over the impeachment inquiry in an interview Sunday, President Trump called him "nasty" and said he would never measure up to his father, late
lead reporter Mike Wallace. Scalise "blew the nasty &...
GOP Lawmakers' Storming
of Room Caused 5-Hour Delay
Oct 24, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
GOP Lawmakers' Storming of Room Caused 5-Hour Delay
House Republicans accused of flouting security procedures
- Defense Department official Laura Cooper testified before House committees at a closed-door impeachment hearing Wednesday—eventually. The hearing was delayed for five hours after at least two dozen House Republicans stormed the secure area where Cooper was due to speak and staged a sit-in, demanding that the proceedings be opened...
A Year After Shooting,
Scalise Returns to Play Ball
Jun 15, 2018 12:45 AM CDT
A Year After Shooting, Scalise Returns to Play Ball
'It's been a long road to this day,' congressman says
- Republicans and Democrats put aside the sectarian hostilities that have increasingly defined Washington and came together on the baseball diamond Thursday, a year after bullets from a would-be mass assassin shook Congress to its core. Democrats prevailed 21-5 in the 57th Congressional Baseball Game for Charity at Nationals Park. But...
Congressional Baseball Attack:
Everything Went 'Exactly Right'
May 15, 2018 8:18 AM CDT
Congressional Baseball Attack: Everything Went 'Exactly Right'
BuzzFeed recounts how a 'series of miracles' prevented a much larger tragedy that day
- On June 14, 2017, a gunman with a semiautomatic opened fire on congressional Republicans and staffers practicing for a baseball game. The shooting, which injured Rep. Steve Scalise and four others, has been well covered, but a report at BuzzFeed provides what is perhaps the most in-depth account so far...
'I'm Back': Steve Scalise
Returns to Congress
Sep 28, 2017 10:59 AM CDT
'I'm Back': Steve Scalise Returns to Congress
It's the first time since the congressman was shot over the summer
- To bipartisan hugs, tears, and a roaring standing ovation, a hobbling House Republican Whip Steve Scalise returned to the House on Thursday, more than three months after a gunman sprayed fire at a baseball practice and left the lawmaker fighting for his life . Scalise limped into the chamber on crutches...
Here's What Congressman Said
in 1st Address Since Shooting
Sep 22, 2017 12:28 PM CDT
Here's What Congressman Said in 1st Address Since Shooting
'I cannot wait til the day that I can get back home'
- "I wish I could be there in person ... and I can tell you, 'I cannot wait til the day that I can get back home," House Majority Whip Steve Scalise said Thursday in his first words to a public audience since being shot during a congressional baseball...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.