Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the most recent news articles and studies about racism on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Black Guest Badgered by
Staff Member at Palace Event
Nov 30, 2022 11:15 AM CST
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
Ngozi Fulani, a Black British citizen, says she was repeatedly asked where she was 'from'
- As Prince William and Kate land in Boston Wednesday in a visit designed to show a more modern monarchy, the palace is dealing with "unacceptable and deeply regrettable" remarks made by a household staff member at a Tuesday event back in London. The
reports one of the late...
Students His Race
Nov 15, 2022 10:45 AM CST
Teacher Tells Students His Race Is 'Superior'
Unidentified middle school instructor in Texas has since been fired after students record his remarks
- A middle school teacher in Texas has been fired after students in his class recorded him telling them his race is the "superior" one. NBC News reports the recordings were made last week at Bohls Middle School in Pflugerville, though it's not clear what type of class was...
Sheriff Who Quit Amid Scandal
Weeks Ago Is Reelected
Nov 10, 2022 11:32 AM CST
Sheriff Who Quit Amid Scandal Weeks Ago Is Reelected
North Carolina's Jody Greene was recorded disparaging Black deputies
- One of the most controversial election results of the week is out of North Carolina's Columbus County, where former Sheriff Jody Greene was elected once again. The reason for the controversy? Greene, who is white, resigned as sheriff only two weeks ago after he was heard disparaging Black deputies...
2 Weeks After Academy
Apology, Littlefeather Dies at 75
Oct 3, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
2 Weeks After Academy Apology, Littlefeather Dies at 75
Native American actor received 50-year-old mea culpa after she turned down Brando Oscar in '73
- Last month, Sacheen Littlefeather received a mea culpa 50 years in the making from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which apologized for how she was treated when she rebuffed a 1973 Oscar for Marlon Brando. Now, just over two weeks later, the Native American activist and actress...
Trump, Kim Jong Un
Might Still Be in Touch
Sep 28, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Trump, Kim Jong Un Might Still Be in Touch
Book reveals Trump's casual racism, apparently ongoing relationship with North Korean leader
- We already know Maggie Haberman's upcoming book on President Trump claims he vowed not to leave the White House and clogged toilets trying to flush away papers . Now new revelations are flooding out ahead of Tuesday's release of
Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking
Chick-fil-A in Hot Water After
Using This Word Online
Sep 12, 2022 12:38 PM CDT
Chick-fil-A in Hot Water After Using This Word Online
Fast-food chain apologizes for 'poor choice of words' after using 'community' in tweet
- A patron who was disappointed about Chick-fil-A's offerings got an almost immediate response online, but the fast-food chain's quick customer service was soon overshadowed by the way it worded its reply.
reports that the customer tweeted at the restaurant on Friday, complaining that although his local branch...
Woman Says She Was
Banned From Flight After
Using 'Teacher Voice'
Aug 10, 2022 4:11 PM CDT
Woman Says She Was Banned From Flight After Using 'Teacher Voice'
She says American Airlines manager didn't like her tone
- Kyleema Norman, a deputy superintendent at the New York City Department of Education, says she used her "teacher voice" to speak to airline staffers about a delay—and ended up getting barred from her American Airlines flight because a staffer didn't like her tone. Norman tells the
on Busy Italian Street:
'You Are Killing Him!'
Aug 2, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Vendor Murdered on Busy Italian Street: 'You Are Killing Him!'
32-year-old Italian man has been arrested for death of Nigerian migrant Alika Ogorchukwu, 39
- A man is in custody for murder after a Nigerian immigrant was killed in the middle of the day on a busy Italian street. Police say 39-year-old Alika Ogorchukwu, who'd reportedly been living in Italy for nearly a decade and made a living selling items such as lighters and...
Sesame Place Sued
for Another Alleged
Instance of Racism
Jul 28, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Sesame Place Sued for Another Alleged Instance of Racism
Father says his daughter, who is Black, was ignored by performers
- Less than two weeks after a video of alleged racism at Sesame Place went viral, the theme park is being sued for alleged racial discrimination over a separate incident. Quinton Burns of Maryland says he took his 5-year-old daughter to the Philadelphia-area amusement park on June 18, and during a...
for Juneteenth, With
a Racist Message
Jun 23, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Business Closes for Juneteenth, With a Racist Message
Maine insurance agency is taking heat for sign referencing a well-worn stereotype
- Many US businesses shuttered on Monday to mark the federal holiday Juneteenth, but one company in Maine is now taking heat for the way it chose to announce its closing. CNBC notes the import of the holiday, which commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union Army soldiers showed up in Texas...
School District's Diversity Chief
Quit Before She Even Started
Jun 18, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
School District's Diversity Chief Quit Before She Even Started
ProPublica dives deep into the story of a Black educator driven out of 2 jobs by white parents
- In early 2021, Cecilia Lewis was looking forward to pulling up roots from her Maryland home and starting a new job as a Georgia school district's first administrator for diversity, equity, and inclusion. What Lewis had seen as an exciting opportunity, however, never panned out, thanks to white parents...
Star of New
Jun 1, 2022 8:52 AM CDT
Franchise Defends Black Star of New Disney+ Show
Ewan McGregor, others support Moses Ingram of 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' series after racist remarks
- The excitement over
, the latest
series on Disney+, has permeated the internet , but along with the positive buzz, a more disturbing development has emerged. Moses Ingram, the
actress who plays the Inquisitor Reva in the new Disney program that premiered Friday, revealed on...
Poll: Most Black Americans
Fear More Racial Attacks
May 22, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Poll: Most Black Americans Fear More Racial Attacks
Most say white supremacy is a bigger problem than it was 5 years ago
- Black people in the US were well aware of the danger racism posed to them before the shootings in Buffalo, polling confirmed. Since then, the concern is clear: Three-fourths of Black people are concerned that they or someone they love will be attacked physically because they're Black, a Washington...
at High School:
'My Heart Dropped'
May 19, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Signs Over Water Fountains at High School: 'My Heart Dropped'
Cincinnati students are being disciplined for 'whites only,' 'Blacks only' signs, photos shared online
- Students at an Ohio high school are in hot water after racist signs were placed in the school and used as props for social media posts. NBC News reports that those signs at Cincinnati's Colerain High School read "whites only" and "Blacks only" and were placed over...
District Probes 'Shameful
Incident' at Middle School
May 19, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
District Probes 'Shameful Incident' at Middle School
6 middle school students used giant letters to spell out racial slur
- Six Florida middle school students who used large letters to spell out a racial slur can expect the "appropriate disciplinary consequences," the district says. The Martin County School District launched an investigation after a photo appeared on social media of the male students standing outside Hidden Oaks Middle...
Birthplace of Jazz
Mar 25, 2022 9:53 AM CDT
Head-Scratching Century-Old Rule Reversed in Birthplace of Jazz
School board in New Orleans lifts ban on teaching jazz
- It's hard to imagine jazz music being banned in any US public schools, let alone schools in New Orleans, known as the birthplace of jazz. But there's actually a policy on the books in the Big Easy that prohibits students from learning about the genre or taking part...
Zoe Kravitz: I Was
Rejected as Too 'Urban'
Mar 8, 2022 4:10 PM CST
Zoe Kravitz: I Was Rejected as Too 'Urban'
Current Catwoman says a previous Batman movie wasn't as welcoming
- Zoe Kravitz may be the new Catwoman , but nabbing that dream movie role was a lengthy process—one that involved a rejection based on the color of her skin, the biracial actor-musician tells the
. A decade before her debut as Selina Kyle in Matt Reeves'
, which topped...
Heckling Mayor Wu.
Except It Wasn't Her
Feb 19, 2022 7:00 AM CST
Protester Kept Heckling Mayor Wu. Except It Wasn't Her
Protester was actually mistakenly jeering at a different Asian American woman
- A voting rights presser on the Boston Common this week drew not only locals rallying support for get-out-the-vote efforts, but also one man who really wanted to criticize Mayor Michelle Wu. MassLive.com reports the protester, decked out in a mask and sunglasses, showed up at the Monday news conference...
Coach Sues NFL
Feb 2, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Fired Dolphins Coach Sues NFL
Brian Flores alleges racial discrimination
- The former head coach of the Miami Dolphins is suing the NFL after his firing last month, alleging racial discrimination. Brian Flores' termination came as a surprise to many, considering his winning record with the team this season, Deadline reports. His class-action suit claims the league, which currently has just...
'Inexcusable' Assignment at
Middle School Spurs Outrage
Jan 17, 2022 11:13 AM CST
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
'Blatant racism,' remarks one parent who's publicizing the Spanish homework at NY school
- A Western New York middle school is making headlines for a Spanish homework assignment that's drawing cries of "blatant racism." CNN reports that the assignment distributed last month to sixth graders at the Williamsville Central School District's Mill Middle School, located in a suburb of Buffalo,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Warrant: FedEx Driver Panicked After Hitting Girl
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.