Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Flew for 2 Years
Then, the Press of
a Wrong Button
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
He Flew for 2 Years Unsuspected. Then, the Press of a Wrong Button
British Airways pilot Craig Butfoy jailed after faking flying experience
- Who knows how things would've worked out for Craig Butfoy, and the passengers on the planes he piloted, if he simply hadn't pressed a wrong button one day at work. That button press, as it turns out, led to questions being asked, and then a startling revelation: The...
Passenger Plane Tops
825mph. Yep, 825mph
Feb 9, 2020 12:00 PM CST
Passenger Plane Tops 825mph. Yep, 825mph
British Airways can thank Storm Ciara
- Flightradar24 says you can fly from New York to London in 6 1/4 hours. British Airways just set a new record by doing it in a stunning 4 hours and 56 minutes, CNN reports. The Boeing 747 went overnight from Saturday to Sunday and beat the times of two...
The Plane Filled With Smoke.
Weeks Later, Passengers Are Ill
Oct 17, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
The Plane Filled With Smoke. Weeks Later, Passengers Are Ill
They say they are having breathing problems; British Airways still not sure of cause
- In early August, a British Airways plane en route to Valencia filled up with smoke shortly before landing. Two months later, passengers from BA422 say they still have breathing problems. One woman says she now gets breathless walking uphill; another says he often struggles to breathe and has sores in...
British Airways Has to
'Cancel Nearly 100%' of Flights
Sep 9, 2019 1:54 AM CDT
British Airways Has to 'Cancel Nearly 100%' of Flights
Pilots are striking for 48 hours amid pay dispute
- British Airways says it has had to cancel almost all flights Monday and Tuesday as a result of a pilots' 48-hour strike over pay. In a statement Monday, the airline said it had "no way of predicting how many (pilots) would come to work or which aircraft they are...
Airlines Abruptly Suspend
Flights to Egypt
Jul 21, 2019 6:08 AM CDT
Airlines Abruptly Suspend Flights to Egypt
British Airways and Lufthansa ground flights, with BA citing 'heightened risk of terrorism against aviation'
- British Airways and Lufthansa both said Saturday they were suspending flights to Cairo for unspecified reasons related to safety and security, reports the AP . The British carrier said it was canceling flights to the Egyptian capital for a week, amid what it calls a "heightened risk of terrorism against...
Pilot Touches Down
in the Wrong Country
in case you missed it
Mar 30, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Pilot Touches Down in the Wrong Country
British Airways jet received a bogus flight plan, ended up in Scotland, not Germany
- A British Airways flight from London to Germany went to Scotland instead, a mistake that no one realized until the plane was on the ground. Passengers were shocked, the
reports, as was the crew. "The pilot said he had no idea how it had happened," a passenger...
Traveling in 2019? These
Airlines Are the Safest Bet
Jan 3, 2019 10:25 AM CST
Traveling in 2019? These Airlines Are the Safest Bet
AirlineRatings.com reveals its top safety picks of 405 airlines
- The world's safest airline for 2019 is also the industry's most experienced, according to AirlineRatings.com . The website, which monitors the safety records of 405 airlines worldwide, considered industry and government audits; crash and incident reports; profitability; safety initiatives; and fleet age in coming up with the 20...
Passenger Injured by Obese
Fellow Flyer, Suit Claims
Nov 19, 2018 4:44 PM CST
Passenger Injured by Obese Fellow Flyer, Suit Claims
A man who flew British Airways two years ago is now suing the company
- A plane passenger who flew British Airways from Bangkok to London nearly three years ago is now suing the airline over claims being seated beside an obese person has left with him lasting physical injuries. Per
, Stephen Prosser told UK court officials that he was on a January...
Family: We Were 'Covered'
in Bedbug Bites After Flight
Oct 20, 2017 1:00 AM CDT
Family: We Were 'Covered' in Bedbug Bites After Flight
British Airways says it is investigating
- British Airways has apologized to a family who say they had little option but to let the bedbugs bite on a flight from Vancouver to London earlier this month. Heather Szilagyi—a former hotel worker who knows a bedbug when she sees one—says she discreetly alerted a flight attendant...
Ryanair Pokes at
British Airways Over
Crippling IT Failure
May 29, 2017 9:46 AM CDT
Ryanair Pokes at British Airways Over Crippling IT Failure
CEO Alex Cruz says all issues were 'local' and fixed by 'local resources'
- It's close but no cigar for British Airways. The airline has fully restored all its long-haul services out of Heathrow following Saturday's crippling IT failure , but Monday marks the third day of related delays and cancellations, particularly when it comes to short-haul flights. The AP reports BA axed...
Tens of Thousands Affected
by British Airways IT Failure
May 27, 2017 3:57 PM CDT
Tens of Thousands Affected by British Airways IT Failure
All airline's flights canceled out of London's largest airports
- British Airways canceled all flights out of London's two largest airports Saturday—the first day of a spring bank holiday weekend in Britain—affecting tens of thousands of travelers. The problem stems from British Airway's IT system, the entirety of which apparently crashed worldwide, the AP reports. According...
Drone May Have
Hit Plane Landing
Apr 18, 2016 7:19 AM CDT
Drone May Have Hit Plane Landing at Heathrow
British Airways plane landed safely; London police investigating
- In what the UK's Civil Aviation Authority says would be "a totally unacceptable" first, a British Airways plane landing at Heathrow appears to have been hit by a drone on Sunday, the BBC reports. The Airbus A320 coming into London from Geneva had 132 passengers and five crew...
777 Catches Fire at
Las Vegas Airport
Sep 9, 2015 6:00 AM CDT
777 Catches Fire at Las Vegas Airport
14 people injured escaping British Airways plane
- An engine on a London-bound British Airways jet caught fire yesterday while the plane was preparing to take off from Las Vegas, shooting flames from the side of the jet and forcing passengers to escape on emergency slides. Billowing black smoke and orange flames could be seen pouring from under...
Judge Grills Airline Lawyers
Over His Lost Luggage
Jul 29, 2015 7:36 PM CDT
Judge Grills Airline Lawyers Over His Lost Luggage
In a completely unrelated case
- Anyone whose luggage has been lost by an airline now has a patron saint in the form of Justice Peter Smith in Britain. When lawyers for British Airways showed up in his court to argue a $4.6 billion price-fixing case, Smith had smaller fish to fry: He wanted to...
Stowaway Plunges Out
of Plane Over London
Jun 19, 2015 8:19 AM CDT
Stowaway Plunges Out of Plane Over London
2nd stowaway survives on 6K-mile journey from South Africa
- Two stowaways clung to a British Airways passenger jet on its 6,000-mile journey from South Africa to London, but police say only one survived the trip, NBC News reports. The plane was 11 hours into its flight and preparing to land at Heathrow Airport yesterday when one of the...
Feb 4, 2015 10:58 AM CST
Conrad Hilton's Plane Tantrum: Calls Fliers 'Peasants'
And he could get up to 20 years in prison for it
- We haven't heard much about Paris Hilton lately, but fear not: little brother Conrad Hilton is here to misbehave in her place. The 20-year-old surrendered to the FBI yesterday over charges that he assaulted and intimidated flight attendants on a British Airways flight from London to LA in July....
Jan 12, 2015 11:59 AM CST
Passenger Flight Almost Reaches Supersonic Speed
Trip is 90 minutes shorter than expected
- A British Airways flight almost reached supersonic speeds as it zoomed from New York's JFK Airport to London's Heathrow in just five hours and 16 minutes, arriving 90 minutes before it was scheduled. Its ground speed reached 745mph, just under the speed of sound at sea level, which...
Guy Sues Airline
That Flew Him
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 29, 2014 7:21 AM CDT
Guy Sues Airline That Flew Him to Grenada— Not Granada
You say 'tomato,' British Airways gives you 'tomahto'
- There are innocent little geography flubs, and then there are the ones that accidentally send travelers 4,000 miles away from their intended destination and result in multi-thousand-dollar lawsuits and snotty headlines. Today we present the latter vis a vis the case of Edward Gamson, a Florida dentist who wanted...
British Airways Sorry for 'Discover Indian Ocean' Ad
Mar 28, 2014 3:01 AM CDT
British Airways Sorry for 'Discover Indian Ocean' Ad
Ad was planned months ago, airline says
- Oops: British Airways has apologized for an ad in which Londoners were urged to "Escape the commute and discover the Indian Ocean." The ad, shown on a video screen at a busy train station, appeared against an ocean-blue background. The airline says the ad was created long before...
British Air Jet
Dec 23, 2013 6:55 AM CST
British Air Jet Rams Airport Building
4 people injured in Johannesburg incident
- The wing of a British Airways jet hit an office building at Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport last night, while taxiing in preparation for a flight to London. None of the more than 200 people aboard the plane were hurt, but four people in the building were, the BBC...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.