Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navalny on New Charges:
'No Idea What Article 214 Is'
Dec 2, 2023 6:30 AM CST
Navalny on New Charges: 'No Idea What Article 214 Is'
Opposition leader serving 30 years says new allegations are part of Kremlin obsession with him
- Imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been handed new charges by Russian prosecutors. The 47-year-old is already serving more than 30 years in prison after being found guilty of crimes including extremism—charges that his supporters characterize as politically motivated. In comments passed to his associates, Navalny said he'd...
2 More Arrested in Felling
of Sycamore Gap Tree
Nov 1, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
2 More Arrested in Felling of Sycamore Gap Tree
Pair of 30-something men are released on bail, but not charged yet
- Two more men have been arrested in the investigation into who cut down the world-famous Sycamore Gap tree, police in England said Wednesday. The men, whom the AP reports are both in their 30s, were released on bail Tuesday without being charged in the felling of the iconic sycamore that...
Sycamore Gap Tree
to Head to Secret Spot
Oct 11, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Sycamore Gap Tree to Head to Secret Spot
It needs to be moved off Hadrian's wall
- Since an act of vandalism took it down in late September, England's storied Sycamore Gap tree has lain where it fell. That will change on Thursday, when a crane will lift the 50-foot tree off of Hadrian's Wall so it can be put into storage—at a National...
After Felling of Iconic Tree
Sep 28, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Sycamore Gap tree in Northumberland, England, is cut down, and a teen is in custody
- Authorities in northern England have arrested a 16-year-old boy who is accused of cutting down a world-famous tree, reports the BBC . The unidentified teen is being held on suspicion of criminal damage over the felling of the tree near Hadrian's Wall, a landmark from the Roman Empire, per the...
Sep 21, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Beverly Hills Targets Young Vandals Prepping for Halloween
City bans those under 21 from possessing shaving cream, Silly String on Oct. 31
- Beverly Hills has placed a ban on young people possessing everyday products abused by vandals in an effort to create a "safe, family-friendly environment" on Halloween. The city council voted 5-0 Tuesday to ban people under the age of 21 from possessing Silly String, shaving cream or gel, and...
Police: German Tourists
Vandalized 1565 Landmark
Aug 24, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
Police: German Tourists Vandalized 1565 Landmark
Italian officials call for more severe punishment than foreigners usually receive
- Another Italian historic site has been defaced, this time the Vasari Corridor in Florence, bringing calls to punish such attacks more severely. Police identified the vandals as two German men, ages 20 and 21, who are part of a group of 11 students, CNN reports. Soccer-related graffiti was left on...
Teenager Carves Name
at Ancient Temple
Jul 10, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Teenager Carves Name at Ancient Temple
Police in Japan question and release 17-year-old, who still could face charges
- A teenage boy was caught scratching a name into an 8th-century temple in Japan, police say, weeks after a young tourist was filmed leaving his mark on the Colosseum in Rome. The 17-year-old Canadian carved "Julian" on a wooden pillar with his fingernail at the Toshodaiji Kondo temple complex...
Has an Odd Excuse
Jul 6, 2023 9:13 AM CDT
Colosseum Vandal Has an Odd Excuse
Ivan Dimitrov, 31, of Bristol, England, claims he didn't realize how old the Rome landmark was
- A tourist from the UK who was tracked down after etching the names of himself and his girlfriend into Rome's famous Colosseum has been fully identified and is now offering his apologies. "I admit with deepest embarrassment that it was only after what regrettably happened that I learned...
Cops: Vandals Wreck
'Jurassic World' Exhibition
Jun 1, 2023 11:11 AM CDT
Cops: Vandals Wreck 'Jurassic World' Exhibition
One person was caught on video ripping skin off animatronic dinosaur
- There were a lot of disappointed kids in Atlanta Monday after vandals wrecked "Jurassic World: The Exhibition," a newly opened exhibit featuring life-size animatronic dinosaurs. Police say there was an estimated $250,000 in damage after four intruders broke into the exhibition in the Pullman Yards event space...
Woman Keys 400 Cars
at 2 Dealerships
May 22, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Woman Keys 400 Cars at 2 Dealerships
Mounties say suspect caused at least $370K damage
- The Mounties are looking for a woman who appears to have a serious grudge against two car dealerships in the Vancouver area. The Port Coquitlam RCMP says the woman is a suspect in three mass "keying" incidents between January and April this year, the CBC reports. The RCMP says...
The French Are Really Mad
Mar 24, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
The French Are Really Mad
City Hall set ablaze in Bordeaux, cops clash with protesters in Paris over changes to pension system
- Last week, French President Emmanuel Macron bypassed Parliament and raised the age of retirement from 62 to 64, an unpopular move that left citizens "seething." Anger over the proposal has been bubbling up into strikes and protests since January, but the mostly peaceful demonstrations have also made way...
He Was Arrested,
Then Found a
Swastika in His Car
Mar 22, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
He Was Arrested, Then Found a Swastika in His Car
City of Torrance to pay California man $750K after he claims 2 cops spray-painted his vehicle
- A California man just got a rather large payout to settle a lawsuit over offensive graffiti he says two former police officers spray-painted inside his car. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that Kiley Swaine was granted $750,000 from the city of Torrance, where he was arrested for mail theft...
Man Arrives at His Home to
Find 'Mansion Rager' Underway
Feb 20, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Man Arrives at His Home to Find 'Mansion Rager' Underway
Teens allegedly broke into Austin, Texas, home to throw party
- It's good to have neighbors who will call you if you're not home and something is amiss on your property. But the calls one Austin, Texas, homeowner got from his neighbors on Feb. 11 were nuts: "[They said] there were kids on our water tower on our...
Vandals Damage 3
Power Substations in Tacoma
Dec 26, 2022 6:54 AM CST
Vandals Damage 3 Power Substations in Tacoma
About 14K people were initially without power in Washington state
- It appears to be the latest such incident in a disturbing trend: Vandals broke into three power substations around Tacoma, Washington, on Christmas morning and damaged the equipment, reports ABC News . The vandalism initially knocked out power to 14,000 people in the western part of the state, though most...
After North Carolina
Could Be Out for Days
Dec 5, 2022 1:53 AM CST
After North Carolina Shootings, Power Could Be Out for Days
No motive has yet been determined
- The Moore County sheriff confirmed Sunday that it was gunfire that damaged two North Carolina power substations Saturday, causing damage that could take days to repair. That means tens of thousands of residents could be without power for days, the AP reports. County schools are closed Monday, and a state...
Van Gogh Painting
Gets a Soup Bath
by Climate Activists
Oct 14, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Van Gogh Painting Gets a Soup Bath by Climate Activists
'Sunflowers' wasn't harmed after 'Just Stop Oil' protesters vandalized it in London's National Gallery
- Let's start off with the good news: The 1888 version of Vincent Van Gogh's
is just fine, even after it just got tomato soup dumped all over it. The bad news, at least for the pair of climate activists that carried out the vandalism, is that they'...
Sep 21, 2022 8:59 AM CDT
Vulgar Message Scrawled on Washington Monument
A man has been arrested over obscene graffiti; cleanup could take weeks
- A man is in custody after the base of the Washington Monument was vandalized with bright red paint late Tuesday, according to US Park Police. Photos obtained by WTTG show a thick vertical line of paint next to scrawled words forming what ABC News describes as "an obscene message....
Graffiti Artists Hit
Yet Another National Park
Jun 13, 2022 7:27 AM CDT
Graffiti Artists Hit Yet Another National Park
This time, dozens of sites were vandalized with spray paint at California's Yosemite
- If you visited Yosemite National Park in mid-May, you may be of assistance to the National Park Service in nabbing some vandals. In a Sunday Facebook post , park officials showed images of rocks along the Yosemite Falls Trail covered in blue and white spray paint, some of them with the...
Vandalized With Red Paint
Jun 8, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Statue Vandalized With Red Paint
Salem resident was arrested
- In the wiggle of a nose, a man partially covered the
statue in Salem with red paint, police said. Witnesses called police at about 5pm Monday to report someone spray painting the bronze statue, Capt. John Burke said Tuesday. The statue depicts actor Elizabeth Montgomery—as lead character Samantha...
Even Students Didn't Like
This Senior Prank: 'Not Cool'
May 20, 2022 9:26 AM CDT
Even Students Didn't Like This Senior Prank: 'Not Cool'
Texas high school shuts down for 2 days after harmless antics 'devolved rapidly'
- End-of-year tomfoolery at a Texas high school was supposed to involve nothing more than harmless sticky notes. But the high jinks got out of hand, leading to the school's closure for two days due to vandalism. According to the Frisco Independent School District, a "small group of students"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.